PDA

View Full Version : Did you notice the change?

MaxPower
05-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Another post on here made me realize that many times with Walt Disney World attractions, subtle and not-so-subtle changes are made to different rides and attractions for various reasons.

Also, it seems that the changes usually have an overall negative effect rather than positive - here are some examples:

1) White doves used to fly over the heads of the audience during the finale of the Beauty and the Beast show. The doves are long gone.

2) On Test Track, during the ride, you would watch a ride vehicle with crash test dummies smash into a wall just before they showed you an identical wall that you yourself were getting ready to crash into. Now you just see the already smashed vehicle siiting empty, rather than watching it crash.

3) Pterodactyls used to scamper over you with sound effects in Dinosaur--now they just barely flash a light on them.

4) Although we HOPE it's only temporary, the now motionless Yeti at Expedition Everest used to move and swing at your train as you flew by.

Does anyone have more examples of existing rides or attractions that have been victims of change?

SBETigg
05-27-2010, 12:29 PM
Spaceship Earth. I'm not crazy about the changes in the last half of the ride. They need to do... more. Something more there.

cer
05-27-2010, 12:55 PM
I am hoping this was not a change, just one of those things that wasn't working....

BUT the last time I rode Splash Mountain (and is has been a while because it was being refurbished on our last trip).....I really REALLY missed what I call the "spitting fountains" in the Laughing Place. They are fountains that shoot a stream of water over the path you are traveling in your log - like the ones they have outside the Journey to Imagination building in Epcot.

Do you remember these? Anyway, can anyone verify if it is an actual change or just something that was not working when I was there in Feb 09?

PopPhan
05-27-2010, 12:57 PM
I am hoping this was not a change, just one of those things that wasn't working....

BUT the last time I rode Splash Mountain (and is has been a while because it was being refurbished on our last trip).....I really REALLY missed what I call the "spitting fountains" in the Laughing Place. They are fountains that shoot a stream of water over the path you are traveling in your log - like the ones they have outside the Journey to Imagination building in Epcot.

Do you remember these? Anyway, can anyone verify if it is an actual change or just something that was not working when I was there in Feb 09?

Those are sometimes turned off if the weather is a bit cool....Maybe that is what happen to you.

cer
05-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Those are sometimes turned off if the weather is a bit cool....Maybe that is what happen to you.

I believe it, it was frigid that year. Thank you for the update! :thumbsup:

DizneyRox
05-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Oh so many...

1. Clean Plate Club at 50's Prime Time
2. First scene in The Great Movie Ride used to be animated, with a bubble machine.
3. Dinosaur was a whole different ride really.
4. Kilamajaro Safari used to have a jeep with poachers that would shoot at you, etc.
5. Discovery River used to have gysers, etc up by Africa.

The list goes on...

Tick-Tock
05-27-2010, 01:09 PM
On my last trip, at Pooh I looked for the picture of Mr. Toad handing a deed to Owl, but couldn't find it again. Is it gone?

And I won't even start on the recent changes to TTA...

TinkerbellsMom
05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
We just got back and I couldn't find the handing the deed over to Owl either...I hoped I missed it...the fountains in the Laughing Scene were working.

Does anyone know what changed with RnR when it went down this month. It went down after we left.

Zippy 1
05-27-2010, 01:34 PM
And yet with all the changes we do not like we still continue to go. They msut be doing something right!

mjm12000
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Was just there last week and the jumping fountains were all working, in fact it seemed that every singel animatronic and effect was working perfectly, I think they just rehabed it and it looked great.

deedeenmickey
05-27-2010, 01:40 PM
Alien Encounter - I HATE Stitch's great escape!!!:blush:

lala71474
05-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Alien Encounter was AWESOME! I miss it so much.

Ms. Mode
05-27-2010, 01:54 PM
- I HATE Stitch's great escape!!!:blush:

Amen :thumbsup:

Fastpasssteve
05-27-2010, 02:33 PM
I'm with Deedeenmickey -

It's not so much that I hate Stitch's Escape...

It's just that Alien Encounter was so much more intense...cool! I don't think kids get too scared...I think their overly protective parents THINK their children get scared. And when you're young, is there anything better than getting scared??? Rides like that are allegories about how life can have dangerous things in it...yet it's a safe way to expose them to this truth.

everyonesmadhere
05-27-2010, 02:45 PM
On my last trip, at Pooh I looked for the picture of Mr. Toad handing a deed to Owl, but couldn't find it again. Is it gone?

And I won't even start on the recent changes to TTA...

I saw it in September...

i'm grumpy
05-27-2010, 08:11 PM
I think owl was there last week. I did notice Splash needed a bit of attention. Some flowers were broken off and there was something else. Didn't get to ride EE or Dino since they closed at 5!

RNR was just spiffed up, no changes I believe. Didn't get to ride it either. :(

Rekenna
05-28-2010, 04:54 PM
TTA! The whole ultra retro part that made it so perfect-they completely destroyed it.

Also, I'm gonna get flamed, but POTC-DH and I so wish they would go back to the original.

Obviously these are not so subtle-but changes IMHO that were so not needed.

Also, ever since the refurbed HM, it just seems off somehow, I can't quite put my finger on it. It's still my fave and I like what was changed, but I find it hard to remeber what was there before....Maybe I have been to WDW too many times! Shhh, don't tell anyone, especially DH.:mickey:

slegrant
05-28-2010, 05:22 PM
I was there in January and did not notice anything with TTA, I will be there again in July so what changed???

sorcerer fan
05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
when AK opened there was a ride in a boat down the river, explaining what was going to happen later on. there is a lot of stuff built along the river you never see. I too agree that stitch stinks, bring back alien encounter. and I too miss ' Paging Tom Morrow. and all the funky retro stuff they used to say on TTA.

Spang88
05-28-2010, 10:03 PM
From reading the posts here and other posts I am already missing the retro TTA for my next visit. I can't believe there's no Tom Morrow.....

MNDisney Dad
05-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Tom' Morrow is alive and well! He has moved to ST at HS. Listen when you are going through the line. Was there 5/18 and was surprised to hear his page. Also, Mr. Toad is still turning over his deed at Pooh.

dumbo_buddy
05-30-2010, 06:37 AM
Tom' Morrow is alive and well! He has moved to ST at HS. Listen when you are going through the line. Was there 5/18 and was surprised to hear his page. Also, Mr. Toad is still turning over his deed at Pooh.

cool! will totally listen for mr. morrow!!

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Oh so many...

1. Clean Plate Club at 50's Prime Time
2. First scene in The Great Movie Ride used to be animated, with a bubble machine.
3. Dinosaur was a whole different ride really.
4. Kilamajaro Safari used to have a jeep with poachers that would shoot at you, etc.
5. Discovery River used to have gysers, etc up by Africa.

The list goes on...

As a soldier who has been to Iraq twice, my guess is that they took out the poachers shooting at you so that a soldier with PTSD doent have a bad experience. Not for sure, but that would be my guess. The guys who drive up and down the highways while in Iraq and Afganistan get wound up pretty tight when taking fire. With Disneys ability to make things "come alive" for guests, this could be a bit much for them. Again, its just a guess.

merrymouse
05-30-2010, 10:15 AM
I love, love the Tom Morrow page. We were just talking about it the other day when discussing our upcoming trip. So where can I hear it? ST at HS???? Can you tell me what this means? I cannot figure it out:confused:

johnO
05-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Don't know if they changed KS because of PTSD or not. I thought it was more for political correctness...

eandrsmom
05-30-2010, 11:22 AM
We just returned a few weeks ago. We noted to the CM at TTA that we really didn't like the new voiceover. He told us that he hears numerous compaints everyday. It's not just missing "Tom Morrow", it's the whole retro voice. "Now entering Mickey Star Taders"....etc.

DizneyRox
05-30-2010, 11:42 AM
As a soldier who has been to Iraq twice, my guess is that they took out the poachers shooting at you so that a soldier with PTSD doent have a bad experience. Not for sure, but that would be my guess. The guys who drive up and down the highways while in Iraq and Afganistan get wound up pretty tight when taking fire. With Disneys ability to make things "come alive" for guests, this could be a bit much for them. Again, its just a guess.
First off, thank you for your service!

Second, the poachers jeep has been in and out of service, and last time I paid attention, the sound effects of guns shooting and tires screeching were still there, however the jeep has long since been out of comission. For me, I'd rather know where the shooting is coming from than not (admitting I've never been shot at before).

Victor Kelly
05-30-2010, 04:11 PM
The change to the poachers in Kilamanjaro happened long before the sandbox. It was at the latter end of the politically correct phase that took hold of Disney back in the 90's. But yes I would agree with the PTSD though since I have had it for a while.

Including not to mention POTC where the wenches now chase the pirates. The narration to Hall of Presidents. I still like the original peoplemover soundtrack, the original POTC the way it was.

MNDisney Dad
05-30-2010, 04:15 PM
I love, love the Tom Morrow page. We were just talking about it the other day when discussing our upcoming trip. So where can I hear it? ST at HS???? Can you tell me what this means? I cannot figure it out:confused:

ST (Star Tours) at HS (Hollywood Studios).:thumbsup:

DisneyLuver91
05-30-2010, 05:15 PM
This isn't a subtle change really, but the overall experience of the Backlot Tour.... I was watching some Martin's Vids and saw all of Residential Street, the working studio, and Dick Tracy!! I miss those fun things. =/

WiltonJohn
05-30-2010, 05:54 PM
The working animation studio died with the advent and success of CGI. I miss the old style animation too.

"Progress".

best,

................john

DizneyRox
05-30-2010, 05:55 PM
The change to the poachers in Kilamanjaro happened long before the sandbox. It was at the latter end of the politically correct phase that took hold of Disney back in the 90's. ...
AK opened in 1998 with the poachers story line in play until fairly recently. I understand removing the CM with the AK-47 which I think happened shortly after 9/11, but the jeep chase is what I'm referring to as broken.

I thought this thread was originally about Disney's changes to attractions because or lack of maintenance, etc, not because of refurbs, etc. Like the missing mist on EE and things of that nature.

The refurbs don't bother me so much in general. PoTC was much better before Jack Sparrow, but it did need an update like HM. Which I'll go on record as saying was fantastic!

Victor Kelly
05-31-2010, 03:32 PM
I am interested ine changes to seeing POTC and HM. I have not been to the parks since March 05.

rmsongs
06-04-2010, 05:04 PM
One change I've noticed over the years is that, during peak times, some of the attractions seem to go faster. Off the top of my head, I remember thinking this on TTA and JC. They both seemed to move faster in June than they do in November. My family thought I was losing it, but I even see it in video I shot on different trips. Has anyone else noticed this?

beksy
06-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Add me to the group missing the original TTA soundtrack...we really missed it last trip. I also don't like the changes with the Backlot Tour. I loved the houses. But there is still plenty at Disney that I love that keeps me coming back! :blush:

Georgesgirl1
06-04-2010, 08:20 PM
When RnR first opened there was a actually guy in the studio preshow that picked up a guitar when one of the guys from Aerosmith said, "Hey can you get that Les Paul for me?" I remember seeing that during soft openings and thinking, "I wonder how long that will last?" I don't remember when I last saw him, but he is gone now.

TikiLounger
06-05-2010, 11:58 AM
First off, forgive me if this has already been mentioned...I skimmed the posts very quickly and I'm not sure if I've read them all. Okay...my family really misses the part of Kilimanjaro Safari when the ride vehicle would actually stop for a moment on the old, creaky bridge. When the attraction was new, the bridge would dip for a moment as if we were going to plummet off instead of just making the creaking noise. For us (especially my son), it was the best part of the ride. He's 20 now, and he still hopes that maybe, just maybe, it will do it again, someday. I have a feeling it's not going to happen, but...one can hope. ;)

HackLaSalle
06-05-2010, 05:15 PM
One of the staff members from another Disney board I follow was on Dinosaur today and said the ride has looked as good as it ever had with alot of the old effects up and running. That's great news as it was one of my favorites without em, I just hope they're still running in December.

Someone once told me that the bridge bit at the Safaris was not made to happen on each and every ride and meant to be more than an every now and then surprise.

Victor Kelly
06-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I remember when CoP had the original musical score not Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow. This attraction should get an AA update. It is peaceful and relaxing.

I also miss Horizons and World Of Motion. Just as I was beginning to appreciate EPCOT for what it was, everything was changed.

Master Gracey
06-06-2010, 05:44 PM
I remember when CoP had the original musical score not Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow.

"Now is the time. Now is the best time. Now is the best time of your life.":thumbsup:

crltkcagle
06-06-2010, 06:55 PM
Last week:
1. Hopper is no longer there during A Bug's Life 3-d Flick. The light shines on an empty spot.
2. During the Safari ride you used to go over a bridge that would be shaky. The bridge is now broken so it doesn't move at all.
3. NOt that this is a bad one but they update COP. In the last scene there is a huge Samsung tv that plays the video game that grandma is playing. I find it kind of distracting from the rest of the show.

crltkcagle
06-06-2010, 06:58 PM
One change I've noticed over the years is that, during peak times, some of the attractions seem to go faster. Off the top of my head, I remember thinking this on TTA and JC. They both seemed to move faster in June than they do in November. My family thought I was losing it, but I even see it in video I shot on different trips. Has anyone else noticed this?
YES! One day we rode Snow white and I recorded it. That same night when the park was almost empty the ride was going so slow I was able to get quality video!

MushuGrl
06-07-2010, 09:55 AM
For those who have gone recently...is Davy Jones back in POTC? He was gone during our January trip.

I do miss the old TTA soundtrack along with everyone else. Badly. New one just doesn't cut it.

JabberJaws
06-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah this happens a lot with complex rides at big parks like Universal or Disney. There are almost always small (but fun) effects that end up breaking down enough to where the jerry-rig them or remove them completely b/c the cost/time involved to constantly fix them isn't worth it.

Some I've noticed (some or all are probably already mentioned):

The leaping "Copsognathus" dinos in Dinosaur
The laser "box" that surrounded the iguanadon at the end of Dinosaur (was supposed to show you had locked him in or whatever)
"Live" car crash scene in TT
Animated shadow of brer fox's head talking in the climax scene of Splash. Sometimes this works, but even when it does it seems that it is out of sync w/ the audio.
The Yeti in his former glory is the most glaring. I am just glad I got to ride it a ton back when he worked full-steam as I worked for Disney then.

These are just some. It seems the more complex the ride, the more likely the little effects to break down and then be scrapped or "quick fixed."

This does not bode well for Harry Potter at IOA, given its early propensity for break downs.

JabberJaws
06-07-2010, 09:57 AM
For those who have gone recently...is Davy Jones back in POTC? He was gone during our January trip.

I do miss the old TTA soundtrack along with everyone else. Badly. New one just doesn't cut it.

He was gone back when we went in late February too. I forgot to mention that one! Shame b/c it is a cool effect. Hopefully they can bring it back.

JabberJaws
06-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Last week:
3. NOt that this is a bad one but they update COP. In the last scene there is a huge Samsung tv that plays the video game that grandma is playing. I find it kind of distracting from the rest of the show.

Isn't it funny how they think that updating the TV will make that scene seem current? Everything else (clothes, the video game, "virtual reality" which is pretty much non-existent now) are all mid to late 90's, but the TV is current so that makes it present day haha.

JabberJaws
06-07-2010, 10:03 AM
One that I forgot, on RnR, during the preshow when the Aerosmith member pokes his head back in and says "Hold on, I forgot my black les paul), besides this being an oddly specific mention of his guitar, an actual cast member dressed like a roadie would come in and get it out of the room when a roadie says "I'll get it" in the video.

This was just a little bit to add to the realism. This bit was actually on the cast rotation for the Ops CMs at RnR (I used to work in the gift shop there). It was just a bit time consuming so they took it out. Shame. Was a bit cheesy but was fun.

i'm grumpy
06-07-2010, 11:35 AM
Davy Jones was back last month.

Oh yes the COP tv stuck out like a sore thumb.

Disney Day Dreamer
06-07-2010, 08:11 PM
1) White doves used to fly over the heads of the audience during the finale of the Beauty and the Beast show. The doves are long gone.

Well... The now extinct Hunchback of Notre Dame show at the Studios (May it rest in peace... :( ) had doves released as well. However, they stopped releasing the birds because other, larger birds got interested in the idea of a "free lunch", seeing as the birds flew past at almost the same time in the same place each day.

That may not be the case for BatB, but the similarities make me wonder.

Tekneek
06-14-2010, 09:02 PM
The hopping Brer Rabbit in Splash Mountain seems to work here and there. It is an awesome effect when he does hop, but isn't an obvious miss to those who have never seen it before. My son and I were on Splash Mountain once when almost none of the animatronics were working and the music was missing as well. That can be a little unsettling.

Disappointed to hear about changes with the TTA. That has been one of most favorite attractions.

I never got a chance to ride the Discovery Boats. Last time I was at AK, you could still see the boats, queue area, and such, but they had already not been running for years. Disney can often seem penny-wise and pound-foolish to me.

sfunicello
06-15-2010, 01:50 PM
I made 2 visits to DAK in the past 2 weeks, on both occasions there was no sign of the yeti on EE. Even if he isn't working they will usually at least have a light flashing on him. The whole end of the ride was just in the dark. It definitely was not as exciting...maybe he is being worked on to be back in tip top shape? We can only hope!

kdsjjb
06-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Okay...my family really misses the part of Kilimanjaro Safari when the ride vehicle would actually stop for a moment on the old, creaky bridge. When the attraction was new, the bridge would dip for a moment as if we were going to plummet off instead of just making the creaking noise. For us (especially my son), it was the best part of the ride. He's 20 now, and he still hopes that maybe, just maybe, it will do it again, someday. I have a feeling it's not going to happen, but...one can hope. ;)

If you haven't done it, go on the Safari ride at Busch Gardens. The bridge there actually breaks, and you find yourself IN the water. Very cool.

hope2survive
06-18-2010, 08:15 PM
I miss the little side street on the left side of Main Street that had the flower carts. I know it was just simple ambiance, but it was a favorite photo stop.

I haven't been since last summer - sad to hear some of these changes have happened - especially the Yeti.

FriendsofMickey
06-18-2010, 09:22 PM

I absolutely agree with you! My dh and I both noticed that in May when we went. The rides definately seemed to go faster. It seemed a lot more noticable on rides like Small World. We were in a line twice as long as any line we have ever stood in for this ride, yet the wait took no longer than in November.

FriendsofMickey
06-18-2010, 09:31 PM
First off, forgive me if this has already been mentioned...I skimmed the posts very quickly and I'm not sure if I've read them all. Okay...my family really misses the part of Kilimanjaro Safari when the ride vehicle would actually stop for a moment on the old, creaky bridge. When the attraction was new, the bridge would dip for a moment as if we were going to plummet off instead of just making the creaking noise. For us (especially my son), it was the best part of the ride. He's 20 now, and he still hopes that maybe, just maybe, it will do it again, someday. I have a feeling it's not going to happen, but...one can hope. ;)

We always try to ride this ride at least twice per trip.I think it was last September when I was there, this happened on one of our rides , but not another. Therefore, I thought they must just not always do this.... so there may be some glimmer of hope for you.

DisneyLuver91
06-18-2010, 10:20 PM
2. During the Safari ride you used to go over a bridge that would be shaky. The bridge is now broken so it doesn't move at all.

I find it SO FUNNY that the bridge is broken now so it DOESN'T shake! Oh the irony! :fresh:

DisneyOtaku
06-19-2010, 11:15 AM
I know this attraction is pretty much hated, but I used to love Primeval Whirl...until I rode it last August. We got on and noticed that 1)it didn't spin NEARLY as much as it used to and 2)some of the stopping motions were really jarring--I was afraid I would hurt my neck.

My dad was surprised at the changes too so he went and asked a CM about it. The CM frowned because he said that hated the new changes too and he was sorry for any discomfort. According to him, apparently there were a bunch of letters and complaints about the ride being "too intense" for children and to cut out some of the spinning, and the jerking motion is a result of trying to slow down the spins.

I even told my friends about the changes for our upcoming trip (they LOVED it too) and were heartbroken. It's one we are just going to have to skip.

HackLaSalle
06-19-2010, 01:20 PM
That's too bad to hear about Primeval Whirl. It was my girlfriend's favorite. Though the version at Six Flags New England is a lot better. I think Disney can do better than an off the shelf coaster that isn't themed to anything particularly Disney, just to the area.

MickeyChick
06-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Primeval Whirl is one of my favorites. Now I am upset to hear that it's been altered.

But hey!No complaining about the Carousel of Progress song. I love it so much I actually have it on my iPod!

Stu29573
06-23-2010, 10:23 AM
But hey!No complaining about the Carousel of Progress song. I love it so much I actually have it on my iPod!

Its my ring tone...:D

Laughin' place
06-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Im pretty sure Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow was the original, before GE's "Now is the Time". I like both songs, although I think Great Big ... is best.
Overall, if there is anyone who notices even the smallest changes, it has to be th hardcore Disney community. I know Im always a little disappointed when little details disappear. I think I expect WDW to never change and always be as I remember it. Not too realistic, I guess.
I remember a time when Main St was cleaned and paint touched up (from stem to stern) on an every night basis. I dont think the same borderline obsession with perfection still exists today (tho I can understand the economic and logistical problems with trying to keep everything perfect). I wish I could still say that WDW seems to at least TRY to keep everything "neat and pretty"