PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Experienced Tip Tracking?

mickeys_princess_mom
05-25-2010, 09:40 PM
I helped a friend plan her trip, staying on site and using the DDP. She told me today of one experience that really shocked me! Her party was 8, and had very poor service at Tusker House. When the bill came it suggested about a $50 tip. They didn't want to complain, but left a smaller amount in cash. When they went to check out of their resort, the CM looked at their info and commented--I see you ate at Tusker House and did not leave a tip!! She was stunned, and replied that they did, in fact, leave one, and nothing more was said. I have never heard of such a thing! I tried to think of all the possibilities, like--because it was 8 is there an absolute amount due, or????

Pirate Granny
05-25-2010, 09:56 PM
If I recall correctly, any number over six is a mandatory 18% tip...whether on DDP or OP. I'm surprized that they let you leave the restaurant...as it would be like the check came to $100 and you left a lesser amount. I know it's not fair, especially if you have poor service...but I believe that it's stated on the menu.
:pirate:

DizneyRox
05-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Sadly, I'm not surprised if this is true. I thought I heard something about tips being negotiated as part of the last contract, so Disney might be pushing to make sure folks leave tip so it doesn't come out of their pocket.

Maybe I understood the comment wrong however...

But yes, with a party of 8, tip is no longer optional a becomes a surcharge. If you didn't leave a full 18% there may be some recourse for Disney. I would have talked to a manager for subpar service.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-25-2010, 10:08 PM
But yes, with a party of 8, tip is no longer optional a becomes a surcharge. If you didn't leave a full 18% there may be some recourse for Disney. I would have talked to a manager for subpar service.

That's kind of what I thought it might be since it was 8. I would have talked to the manager, too, but this was her first trip, and she wasn't sure what to do, I guess. Wasn't quite sure myself how this was handled with a big group like that.
I just never heard of it being brought up at the hotel at checkout.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-25-2010, 10:11 PM
She did mention that they had eaten at Wolfgang Puck's the night before and had been so impressed with the service (and tipped appropriately) that it was a huge contrast in their minds. Of course these are two entirely different kinds of places...

Pop Centurion
05-25-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't know what to think of this if WDW is actually tracking tips. Do all the restaurants have this info on hand? The reason I ask is because this could be good and bad. On one hand they will know if you have a pattern of stiffing them on the tip. But on the other hand, you may leave less tip due to poor service which in return will cause poor service at your next meal because they assume you're a bad tipper.
Also, in my case I always leave 20% or slightly more when rounding up. If this is tracked will I get good service because they see I tip good or will they get lazy because they assume they're already getting a good tip and don't have to go out of their way?

so you see the problem with this if they do in fact track tipping at the restaurants.

disneykid@hrt
05-25-2010, 10:32 PM
That sounds awful to me!! I'm sure it was party size that made for the mandatory tip, but the CM commenting on it at Check Out? That seems highly inappropriate to me.

wdwnomad
05-25-2010, 10:38 PM
Tips are included in the bill if your party is more than 6. Not getting into a tipping debate, especially when buffets are involved, I don't really like it. However, when that is the case that is all get from me. No more, no less. It is a shame when you get really good service I don't mind leaving extra. However, since that is what the servers agreed to in their contract that is all they are getting from me.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-25-2010, 10:54 PM
I don't know what to think of this if WDW is actually tracking tips. Do all the restaurants have this info on hand?

I wasn't even thinking about that. I just was thinking I never heard of it going back to the hotel. I don't think she had established a pattern of stiffing at all--she just felt that the service was exceptionally bad. She's a very relaxed, kind person, but was just taken aback at the time. It is sort of a question, I guess--does service sometimes suffer because they know they will still get the 'stated amount', and then what? I also understand that a big party is a lot more work for the server, and a policy protects them somewhat. We've enjoyed so many fantastic servers on our trips; I hate that her experience included this situation. I'll share your thoughts with her tomorrow.

jlmct52
05-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Hmmmmmm. Don't get me started on this one.

I believe tipping for good service is a good custom....but the problem is all restaurants (not just Disney) want you to pay their help for them. And, what's worse in most restaurants the server doesn't even get the entire tip. Quite regularly are required to give a percentage to the hostess and a percentage to the the bartender (even if you didn't order drinks!). I know this for sure because my nephew has run into this in all of the restaurants here in Dallas where he has waited tables.

I gladly tip for good service (wishing the person who actually deserved it got all of it), but I don't appreciate the fact that now it seems a generous tip is expected even if the service is horrible just so the restaurant doesn't have to pay their help decent wages.

Cinderelley
05-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Just throwing a different possibility out here. At work they have what is called "service recovery", the way it is supposed to work is that if an employee gets any inkling of a patient being dissatisfied, the employee is supposed to be able to give them something to help satisfy them.
This could be that type of situation, but the CM could have handled it wrong. Maybe it was supposed to be "i see you ate at XYZ restaurant, and it doesn't seem like your experience was up to par. Was there something wrong?" And then the CM could proceed to rectify the situation.

Fastpasssteve
05-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Check-out is where your final bill is settled. If your tip for 8 people was supposed to be 18%, she may have been trying to get you to pay for the diffierential.

The fact that you said you had poor service probably made her back down. Speaking to management would have been the best policy. The way you chose left no information and a partially unpaid bill.

A GOOD manager would always want to know about poor service, so they could remedy the situation. You never gave the manager the opportunity to make it right.

Skippy
05-26-2010, 06:02 AM
Out of curiosity, was the charge put on the room while the tip was in cash? This might make it not show up on the final tab (although if the CM asked you as bluntly as you have posted, I'd be taken aback, too)

While I'll agree with the other posters that you should have given the manager on duty a chance to rectify the situation, you may still have a chance. Contact guest relations. Let them know when you dined and what types of problems came up. If you don't speak up, they're not going to know what kind of problems to fix. Instead of correcting the server or kitchen situation, it will probably just be coughed up to being stiffed and the same poor service will continue to other guests.

wdwfansince75
05-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Most of our dinner outings at WDW, and many of our family events elsewhere, are for parties elsewhere, are for more than 8. We have always received bills that reflect a mandatory gratuity, usually 18 %, added to the bill. As I once had it explained to me at a local Japanese steakhouse, it is part of the bill, in the same way the sales tax is added. If I am unhappy with what the state does with part of the sales tax, I cannot opt to pay only a satisfactory (to me) portion of the tax. The extra effort that comes from serving larger parties is recognized by insisting on a mandatory gratuity for larger parties.

The policy at WDW, and at other venues throughout the states, is that for parties above a certain size, a mandatory gratuity is added to the bill. It is not a guideline...it is a part of the bill, and must be settled. The reason it went back to the hotel for settlement at checkout is that it was an unpaid obligation.

SurferStitch
05-26-2010, 08:02 AM
I agree with wdwfansince75. I don't believe the situation had anything to do with them leaving a cash tip because many people leave a cash tip, and they are not experiencing this situation at checkout.

Since the bill was paid on a card (sounds like that), but a smaller tip was paid in cash, that could be why the CM had a note that the tip was not paid at all. In essence, the cash could be "additional" gratuity, even though no gratuity was paid on a credit card or room charge. Does that make sense? It would be much easier to say this than type it.

Simply put, they did not pay the entire bill, bad service or not. They were required to pay a certain tip, and did not. That's probably why it was brought to their attention at checkout. WDW does make it clear on their menus that parties of 6 or more pay a mandatory gratuity, so it would be difficult to claim they weren't aware of it, especially since parties of 8 pay mandatory gratuities just about everywhere in the country.

I hope your friend explained to the CM why they did not leave the required gratuity, and only left a portion of it in cash. It wouldn't be right to let the CM think they left the correct amount when they didn't.

Stu29573
05-26-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm just glad I never have a party that large. While I understand that a large party takes more effort to serve, the idea of hiking prices due to that effort makes little sense to me. If I did have a party that large, I would be tempted to break it into two smaller parties just to avoid this situation. It's not that I don't tip well (I usually start at 20% if the service is adiquate) its just that I feel a tip is an extra bonus I add at my discretion.

5togetherWDW
05-26-2010, 09:22 AM
I understand why your friend did not talk to Management -- I have had several times when it just wasn't worth it. Being a first trip and being both dissapointed and uncomfortable, leaving a small tip and exiting would have seemed the most comfortable way to continue with the day.
Having had very bad service on our last trip to Tusker House, I can say that we repeatedly could not catch our waitress. By the time the bill came, we paid cash so we could just get out of the place. (We paid fully, we just didn't want to wait for her - again - to return with the card.)
While we did send a note about the service after our vacation, we said nothing at the time of our meal. We did not want to slow our day any further, or create any conflict by making the children wait while we found someone and complained. We went on with our day stress-free. I expect they had a similar feel.
Had someone brought it up to us at checkout -- even with good intentions, it would have left me flustered. Leaving is hard enough . . . .

PopPhan
05-26-2010, 09:24 AM
This whole thing sounds like a concern that no tip was left for that particular meal. If the CM at check-out could see that no tip was charged to the room/KTTW card, whereas all other TS meals had tips charged to the room/KTTW card, it would send up a red flag.

My concerns with this are -- Why did the CM at check-out actually check your bill for this? Was it 'red flagged' for them to question? Could/would this happen for smaller groups - say 4 or 5 persons?

#1donaldfan
05-26-2010, 12:38 PM
...I'd say to remedy this situation is if unhappy, talk to management, if happy pay the tip....!!

DizneyRox
05-26-2010, 01:24 PM
My concerns with this are -- Why did the CM at check-out actually check your bill for this? Was it 'red flagged' for them to question? Could/would this happen for smaller groups - say 4 or 5 persons?
I don't think you are alone in your concerns. Call me kooky, but I think Disney is heading down a dangerous road by linking all their systems together like this. Having the DDP tied to your room card make it seem like they are connected. So, if you pay for your meal with the DDP, I can see them being able to indicate non payment of tips, or whatever back to your room for settlement at checkout. Had you left a card on file, I wouldn't be surprised that they didn't just charge the amount and let you come down to fight it IF you noticed on your bill.

I try to keep everything seperate if I can, just in case I need to fight something like this. The automatic gratuitiy on the TiW cards really bothers me. As others have said, I usually tip very wel, but the second you automatically charge me something.

a. That's all you're going to get.
b. You're going to have to earn it!
c. If you don't, be sure I'll be speaking with management about your lack of service.

Ms. Mode
05-26-2010, 02:39 PM
There are many many people out there who don't tip well if at all. I think they do the best they can to let you know in every instance what you should be leaving as a tip.

I just can't imagine walking off without paying the 18% if it was added onto my bill for a large party; they tell you right up front that's the way it is.

I'm surprised they didn't add it onto the parties final bill at checkout. :mickey:

KylesMom
05-26-2010, 03:06 PM
I just can't imagine walking off without paying the 18% if it was added onto my bill for a large party; they tell you right up front that's the way it is.

I'm surprised they didn't add it onto the parties final bill at checkout.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised they didn't add it onto the final bill, either.

In the past, this has become quite a hot topic here on INTERCOT as far as whether you have to pay the required 18% gratuity for parties of 6 or more. But the way Disney words it, the 18% is not a suggested amount. Clearly the right way for your friend to handle the situation was to seek out a manager - or pay the bill in its entirety. I'm sure it was probably noted in their folio that the bill was not paid in its entirety, and hence why it was brought up. I don't agree with how it was called to your friend's attention at check-out, but I am surprised they didn't add it back in to the bill, especially for a group of 8. Since the guest said that they paid cash for a portion of the tip, I'll bet that's why the CM let it go.

Goofy4TheWorld
05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm surprised they didn't add it onto the parties final bill at checkout. :mickey:

Quite frankly, I'm surprised they didn't add it onto the final bill, either.

I think this is exactly what they did. I don't think Disney has a Hoover FBI file on it's computers tracking how you tip at the World. Just look at how random PIN emails are, and then try to argue that Disney's left hand knows what the right hand is doing..

I think they did in fact charge her KTTK card for the mandatory tip, and made a note on that charge explaining what is was for. This assumes this really was a party of 8, which would make the tip mandatory.

I'll bet a $1 that is why the note was made, it was a part of an actual charge made to her room account.

KylesMom
05-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I think they did in fact charge her KTTK card for the tip, and made a note on that charge explaining what is was for.

I'll bet a $1 that is why the note was made, it was a part of an actual charge made to her room account.
If that was the case, her friend would have seen an additional line charge specifically for that restaurant on the final check-out bill. From what the original INTERCOTEE mentioned, it was brought up to her about the missing tip, but not charged on the final bill. Since they used the DDP & paid the tip in cash, it would have been evident that the tip was added back in.

Goofy4TheWorld
05-26-2010, 03:30 PM
If that was the case, her friend would have seen an additional line charge specifically for that restaurant on the final check-out bill. From what the original INTERCOTEE mentioned, it was brought up to her about the missing tip, but not charged on the final bill. Since they used the DDP & paid the tip in cash, it would have been evident that the tip was added back in.

My reading of the OP doesn't say for sure that the charge was not in fact on the room account. The OP's friend would need to pull the bill out to confirm that.

If it was't on the final room account statement, it could have been there at first and the CM at checkout took her friends word that they tipped in cash (and assumed that they tipped as required) and took the charge off the account.

I have no idea how room charges work in terms of disputing one, but if the checkout CM had the authority to remove the charge believing that the customer paid the tip in cash and the charge was in error, the CM probably did just that.

All pure speculation on my part, I just don't think Disney has a Vegas-style tracking system that complex.

DizneyRox
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
All pure speculation on my part, I just don't think Disney has a Vegas-style tracking system that complex.
I think you're wrong! :D

I don't think it's fully realized just yet, but I would be VERY surprised if it wasn't... Reservations, ticketing, even fastpasses and dining (from ADRs to DDP) are all linked somehow, I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think a dining place can't attach a charge to a room reservation in an attempt to settle a bill.

I do agree it sounds a little odd how it was brought up, but CMs these days aren't getting the same training they used to. I did read the original comment in that it was just that, a comment placed on the account, not a charge. All the customer service systems I've worked on allow for comments to be entered so future users know what they are getting into.

ThanxForNoticin
05-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Very interesting post, not to mention just a little disconcerting. Let me start by saying that I am always willing to reward good service - and at Disney, I always expect good service. But I'm going to look much closer at how Disney represents this charge for larger parties. To be frank, the term 'mandatory gratuity' is an oxi-moron. Gratuity is a thank you from the patron for a job well-done. If they say that an 18% surcharge will be added, then let the buyer be aware. If they just say an 18% gratuity will automatically be added for larger parties - and if we have the rare occasion that the service is poor - then the manager's going to be called to address and correct the issue. And on the other side, if the service is exceptional (which is often is), adding more on top of the 18% is likely.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I understand why your friend did not talk to Management -- I have had several times when it just wasn't worth it. Being a first trip and being both dissapointed and uncomfortable, leaving a small tip and exiting would have seemed the most comfortable way to continue with the day.
Having had very bad service on our last trip to Tusker House, I can say that we repeatedly could not catch our waitress. By the time the bill came, we paid cash so we could just get out of the place. (We paid fully, we just didn't want to wait for her - again - to return with the card.)
While we did send a note about the service after our vacation, we said nothing at the time of our meal. We did not want to slow our day any further, or create any conflict by making the children wait while we found someone and complained. We went on with our day stress-free. I expect they had a similar feel.
Had someone brought it up to us at checkout -- even with good intentions, it would have left me flustered. Leaving is hard enough . . . .

Just got home from a long day at school. Read your responses with interest. This one to me sums up my friend's experience as I understood it.
To clarify--this was not my experience. I have handled this sort of thing (at Tony's, actually) in a different way, and I have eaten at this restaurant since, and am planning to again this weekend! What we did on our trip was to pay the bill (of course ours was only two people), leave a small tip, and THEN go ask to see a manager to explain what went on. I did not want to appear to be trying to "get" anything, or get out of my bill, but as I told the manager, we had good experiences in the past, and this was not one, so I was telling him because I thought he would want to know so it could be corrected. He asked if there was anything he could do for us and we said no thanks. He then whipped out a fastpass to any ride, and insisted we take it, thanking us. The End.
I totally understand the concept that in my friend's case this tip was not a guideline, but a bill. I don't like this, but I understand it. I don't think my friend looked at it this way. To also clarify, she was paying with DDP, so there was no charge to her room or anything. Many opinions on this subject--I respect them all. My kneejerk reaction to her tale initially was the tracking thing just kind of blew my mind. It was a surprise to me. "Disconcerting" was a good word used by the previous poster to describe it.
This discussion has remained very civilized, friends, and I appreciate that. :mickey:

DizneyRox
05-27-2010, 06:45 AM
It was able to be linked back to their room because they "paid" the bill with their KTTW card, which contains the DDP credit info.

Gabby2183
05-27-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't think your friend meant any harm with what she did but the fact is she left a restaurant without paying her entire bill. Since she did not speak to a manager there is no way for them to know that she received bad service. Disney had every right to ask her to settle her entire bill, the CM at checkout was doing their job!!!!

When you sit down to eat and it says that the tip will be included it is then the same as the tax and the cost of the food. You can't just choose to not pay one of those so why think you can choose to pay the tip?

Stu29573
05-27-2010, 04:08 PM
When you sit down to eat and it says that the tip will be included it is then the same as the tax and the cost of the food. You can't just choose to not pay one of those so why think you can choose to pay the tip?

Actually, this is debatable (and it has been debated here numerious times) While I think legally you may be right due to the prior notification of the charge, I think its on shaky ground ethically due to the true definition of "gratuity." I would rather break my party into smaller groups than deal with it...

Pirate Granny
05-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I kinda like the DDP hook up to your room key...a couple of trips ago, I was with another person and we had a few meals on our own...we stopped at the resort desk and asked if they could check our meals as the number seemed off...they checked and we realized that although our check clearly stated DDP they had charge real money on our room key for the meal (which is why we had an additional TS on our card)...they were able to remove the charge and switch it against the DDP. I NEVER complain about the food or service...as I'm afraid of what the servers will do when correcting (YES, I saw THAT movie)...and to complain after...seems almost pointless. We did speak to a Manager at Rose and Crown about ten years ago, and received free dessert (comped them)...but our meal was over. Our server was gone over 30 minutes with our credit card to pay the bill...we finally flagged someone down and the Manager came and retrieved our credit card.
:pirate:

brownie
05-28-2010, 07:40 AM
I am not in favor of mandatory tips, I like to tip based on the service I receive.

Servers are taxed based on a certain level of tip. I'm not sure how exactly it's calculated, but they have to pay income tax on tip income whether they are tipped or not. My understanding, whether it's true or not, is that large groups don't tend to tip well. It's also harder to serve a large group at the same time.

I can understand why they do it, I just don't think they should do it. And cast members should definitely not have access to tipping information from other restaurants. Maybe management at some level has access, but the front line cast members should not. Imagine getting an undeserved reputation for tipping poorly. It might create a vicious circle where poor service results in poor tipping which results in poor tipping, and on, and on.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-28-2010, 07:49 PM
I am not in favor of mandatory tips, I like to tip based on the service I receive.

Servers are taxed based on a certain level of tip. I'm not sure how exactly it's calculated, but they have to pay income tax on tip income whether they are tipped or not. My understanding, whether it's true or not, is that large groups don't tend to tip well. It's also harder to serve a large group at the same time.

I can understand why they do it, I just don't think they should do it. And cast members should definitely not have access to tipping information from other restaurants. Maybe management at some level has access, but the front line cast members should not. Imagine getting an undeserved reputation for tipping poorly. It might create a vicious circle where poor service results in poor tipping which results in poor tipping, and on, and on.
I pretty much agree with you. I talked to my friend a little more today, and she told me that at Wolfgang Puck's the server showed her the options when he brought the bill (15%, 18%...) and very nicely said it was up to her what she wanted to do. They tipped the 18% there. When the server at Tusker House approached her after a bad night's service with the bill, he had circled the 18% in red and was very pointed with them, which pretty much sealed the deal. She told me today though that she had in fact tipped the bad server 15%, thinking she had the option like the other restaurant, and just wanting to get out of there. She also said the CM at the hotel was just typing away jon the computer :mickey:when he asked her about the tip, never looking up, and when she told him she had tipped he never missed a beat and just kept going with the checkout. Over and done--we talked about it this morning and I shared your inputs with her.

r4kids
05-29-2010, 04:50 PM
I find it highly aggravating that Disney charges the 18% for parties of 6 or more. As a family of 6, with little ones,when your charging that much it really begins to add up. We used to stay on Disney property get the dining plan and ticket with hopper. Around $6000 for the whole thing ( moderate resorts typically). Over the last few years we have cut back due to less than magical experiences at the resorts, worse table service and overall less customer service, so we have chosen to stay off property, eat a few select meals and stay in one park a day. Disney is losing $2500 + from just us each year. Maybe they can focus more on customer service and brining back the magic they seem to have lost then to be commenting on a guests justifiable lack of sufficient tip, which in turn may have left an unpleasant feeling upon check out resulting is a less than likely return.