PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii- any info you can give me!

BrownEyedGrrl
05-23-2010, 04:52 PM
DH and I are at the very beginning stages of planning our family vacation this year. We really want to do Hawaii, but are completely unsure of where to start! From anybody who has been there, I welcome any and all tips or pieces of advice. :)
From the research we've done so far we would probably stay on Oahu. So, our biggest questions would be how to get the best deal possible on airfare, and whether to stay in a rental condo/house or a hotel. We would be going sometime in September or early October of this year, and we will be a family of four again by that time (foster son is leaving us soon :( ), so two adults and two children (both seven years old by then).

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

faline
05-23-2010, 05:27 PM
We've gone to Hawaii twice in the last 4-5 years. On both of those trips, we did a split stay (three nights on Oahu and the remainder of a two-week stay on Maui).

On our first trip, we stayed in Honolulu, one block back from the beach. On our last trip, we stayed in a resort right on Waikiki Beach.

I'd suggest working with a travel agent knowledgeable in Hawaii trips. There are a large number of resorts right on the beach and more across the street. Don't get too far away from Waikiki as parking there can be a real problem.

We considered condos but for our short stays, we opted for regular hotel rooms on Oahu but stayed in a wonderful ocean front condo on Maui.

Be sure to visit Pearl Harbour!

cajundisneyfreak
05-23-2010, 07:24 PM
I've only been to Oahu.We hiked Diamond Head.The view on top is amazing.You should check out The Polynesian Cultural Center,Pearl Harbour,The Dole Cannery,International Marketplace(shopping).For luaus we went to Paradise Cove & Germaine's.Both were great! I'm trying to remember everything but having a hard time since it was back in 1993.lol Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.:blush: Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

c&d
05-24-2010, 09:40 AM
We spent 2 weeks last summer in Maui. It was a wonderful vacation. The snorkeling was great, we hiked Mt. Haleakala, went bottom fishing, the Road to Hana. So much to do. We stayed in a condo which worked really well as food is expensive in Hawaii.

I would also agree with staying a bit on Oahu, seeing Pearl Harbor was very moving.

TheDuckRocks
05-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Having lived in Hawaii for 13 years here are a couple of suggestions for Oahu:
1) Rent a car! Check around before you go and you will be able to get good prices. Avoid Dollar - they put a huge hold on your credit card, if you get the additional insurance or not. A car can more easily get you anywhere you what to go than the public transportation.
2) Get a map from the car rental company or better yet if you have a portable GPS system take it with you or rent a car with one. If you are staying in Waikiki there are a lot of one way streets that can be confusing.
3) Pearl Harbour is a must. Don't pay for a tour company for this, the National Park Service runs the Memorial and the Navy works with them and provides the only boat service that will let you on to it. And it's free, including the parking.
4) A couple of other free things to do are the Waikiki Aqurium (year round) and in the summer, one night a week the Zoo has concerts. The Zoo concerts open at about 4:30 at the side gate, bring beach mats or towels as you sit on the grass and a picnic with you. Before the music begins there is plenty of time to walk around and see some of the animals.
5) Be very careful with renting a house unless you know someone who can recommend one to you. What you see in the ads not always are what you get. Vacation rentals are not very well regulated and a lot of people rent what I'm sure you would consider a shack.

If you have any further questions about Oahu or the Big Island, let me know or PM me.

OK, let's all say it.....ALOHA!!!:D

BrownEyedGrrl
05-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice! :thumbsup: And I'm sure I will be PMing you at some point, DuckRocks! :)

Thanks again all.

PlutoPlanet
06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Yes, thank you DuckRocks!

princessgirls
06-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Loved Hawaii...spent two days on Oahu, did all of the tourist spots, and felt honored to visit Pearl Harbor. 5 days on the Big Island which was my favorite and 7 days in Maui. Breathtaking.

We booked through a travel agent and stayed all in resorts. Food is expensive, but worth it to buy breakfast and lunch items.

Enjoy. We went for our honeymoon. Hope to get back one day.

Julie:mickey:

magicalmom
06-12-2010, 09:33 PM
If you change your mind and include the Big Island on your itinerary (which I HIGHLY recommend) don't miss Volcanoes National Park.

If you are interested in matters historical - don't miss the Iolani Palace in Oahu. There's also a good walking tour of that area of the island. (If you're really a history geek - it's worth reading Michener's Hawaii before you go.)

If you are interested in matters cultural, you should look into the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. It's not a theme park, it's like stepping back in time.

I have to agree that Pearl Harbor is a must - it's something you'll remember for the rest of your life.

We have also enjoyed and been deeply moved by whalewatching, but I think you'll be there too early in the winter.

Have a wonderful time - one of my favorite photos is DD2 on a Hawaiian beach, (age 3) and prectically vibrating with the excitement of seeing the ocean for the first time. I know your kids will have a wonderful time.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
06-15-2010, 07:07 PM
I have to say I enjoyed Maui more than Waikiki. To me Waikiki was like being in Boston, but with a better beach. Don't get me wrong, it was nice but I just thought Maui was prettier. I agree with going through a travel agent. It wasn't a lot more money to stay on two islands so you could think about that too.
We went to Pearl Harbor and I couldn't believe how choked up I got! It's a must do. We didn't go to the Cultural Center and were told afterwards how much we missed by not going there. And we didn't go to the North Shore which I guess is fantastic too. I went years ago and to me the prices for dining out were about the same as eating out in Boston. Our resort included breakfast so that was a big savings.

faline
06-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Our last two trips has been 3 nights on Oahu (Waikiki) and 11 nights on Maui in a wonderful oceanfront condo. I loved Waikiki for its vibrancy. There's always something going on. Walking up and down the beach with all the restaurants and lounges is like a big party.

Maui is much more laid back - far quieter.

Both islands have much to offer in the way of beauty.

AdventurerKim
07-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Hawaii is my second favorite place to visit behind WDW. I've been twice on NCL cruises, the best way we've found to see several islands in a week, although the NCL cruise experiences left much to be desired. We bought airfare several months in advance, and my father watched airfare prices online to find the best deal. The best prices were on Tuesday or Wednesday. What I mean is that buying tickets on those two days of the week seemed the cheapest.

We stayed a few extra days in Waikiki Beach at The Wave which is close to the beach and very convenient to a lot of places in walking distance. I love the ABC stores. They have everything. International Market Place is great as is the Dole Plantation. Pearl Harbor is a must! Kauai is beautiful and very peaceful; that was my favorite place. The Hawaiian Vanilla Plantation in Kona is worth the trip and to get Kona Coffee ice cream anywhere in Kona. Lahaina in Maui was fun; I did not like The Road of Hana as the twists and turns in the road were too much to take in the car (i.e. motion sickness). We didn't even get to Hana.

Aloha! :)

magicalmom
07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
We were told the Kauai is where Hawaiians go on their vacations - I can see why, it's absolutely gorgeous. Worth a visit if you can add another island to your itinerary -