PDA

View Full Version : Some observations from DL today...

BrerGnat
05-23-2010, 03:28 PM
First:
They have set up "Express Ticket Purchase" lanes at the far left end of the entrance gates. Where you normally exit the park, there are now three "registers" at the turnstile. They are similar to the registers you see at snack stands and kiosks in the parks (a large, flat panel monitor with a credit card swipe built in). You can purchase tickets here with Credit Card ONLY. You can buy a 1 day, 1 park; 1 day hopper; 2 day hopper. That is all. No AP purchases here or tickets longer than 2 days. Hopefully this will help take some of the strain off the lines that form at the ticket booths in the heavy summer crowds.

This morning, right outside of the main bag check area (leading towards Downtown Disney), there was a group of people handing out blue balloons. They were set up with a helium tank and everything. The balloons said "Disney is Unfaithful." They were handing out these balloons to children, primarily. I'm not sure what this was about, but it seemed like some sort of protest. However, Disney was right on top of it. Stationed right past the bag check were CMs with Mickey balloons, and they were "trading" people for their blue balloons, and then popping the blue ones. So, a BUNCH of people are getting free Mickey Head balloons today...

While I do understand people's right to protest, this one did not make any sense to me, and it seems like Disney SHOULD have been able to ask these people to leave. They were not openly associated with a Union or anything like that. They had no signage indicating their cause, but they were thanking people for their support when they would take a balloon. But, what kid is going to say "no" to a free balloon? That was my issue; they were going after the kids. Seems tacky to me. Anyone have any idea what this was all about?

Oh, and one final thing. The trams mostly all have doors now. And, you CAN still open them while the tram is in motion, so I'm still not 100% sure about the purpose of these. They do NOT lock. They are operated by the guests entirely. Kinda pointless, if you ask me...

NotaGeek
05-23-2010, 05:53 PM
I agree about the protesting ... but it is a constitutional right if it's not on Disney property -- but lame nonetheless. Kudos to Disney for being proactive about the protest.

I think that the ticket kiosks are a great idea for people savvy enough to use them. :mickey:

BrerGnat
05-23-2010, 06:59 PM
I agree about the protesting ... but it is a constitutional right if it's not on Disney property -- but lame nonetheless. Kudos to Disney for being proactive about the protest.

I think that the ticket kiosks are a great idea for people savvy enough to use them. :mickey:

But the protesters WERE on Disney property. That's what is weird about it. Can't Disney make them leave, rather than give away all those balloons? Perhaps that is where it ended up, who knows. I was leaving when I saw that, and they weren't there a couple hours earlier when I arrived, so maybe management was trying to figure out how to deal with them and the Mickey balloon "trade" was the immediate response.

As for the ticket thing, there were also CM's standing at the other side of the bag check, asking people if they already had tickets, and then directing people towards either the ticket booths, or the "Express" ticket purchase entrance.

What's cool about the Express ticket entrance is that you buy your ticket and enter right there, and there was no line! As opposed to the long lines at the turnstiles and ticket booths!

Disney4us2
05-23-2010, 10:21 PM
We were there yesterday and happily saw no protesters. We got there before park opening. We were waiting in the first line/gate near where the exit is. The only entrance they had at that time was for the breakfast at the Plaza Inn. The ticket at the gate feature sounds great. Hopefully it will help out with the ticket lines.

KylesMom
05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
BrerGnat, if you do an Internet search on what was printed on the blue balloons, I think you'll find your answer . . .

BrerGnat
05-25-2010, 03:37 PM
BrerGnat, if you do an Internet search on what was printed on the blue balloons, I think you'll find your answer . . .

Yeah, I did that. It's a long standing issue. There have been protesters out daily with banners and such at the DtD entrance and the Resort entrances.

The balloon thing, though...I guess Disney didn't want that to get INTO the parks. Makes sense...

KylesMom
05-25-2010, 03:42 PM
and you're so totally right - to target children? Bad form!

Mammabruski
05-26-2010, 12:26 PM
After reading the OP's post, I googled "Disney is Unfaithful" and it definitely shined some light on the situation.

and you're so totally right - to target children? Bad form

I agree, having children literally carry their message is low. But I'm wondering if they were trying to make a point, since their biggest beef is that they are reducing the health benefits that directly relate to cast member's children.

I know Disney is in it to make a profit, but it is a shame that they are cutting health benefits and such. :(

pdrlkr
06-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: