PDA

View Full Version : Charcoal Grilling question

caryrae
05-23-2010, 02:03 PM
I haven't used a charcoal grill in a long time (used gas grill) so I decided to start using one again and bought just a small Weber Smokey Joe grill since it's just the 2 of us. My question after reading through the manual (a guy reading a manual, crazy) is it says about how to cook different meats and vegetables to use indirect or direct high, medium, or low heat. I know how the indirect and direct part works but how do you know if you have high, medium, or low heat or does it even really matter? Does it have to do with how the vents on top and bottom are positioned?

markyv
05-23-2010, 03:24 PM
It has to do with how much charcoal is used. The more charcoal, the higher the temp.

BrerGnat
05-23-2010, 03:32 PM
That would be the distance between the grill grate and the top of the coals. Closer is high, further away is low. Most charcoal grills have adjustable (up and down) grill grates.

Also, you can do "low" heat by leaving the lid off.

TinksDH
05-29-2010, 11:56 PM
I haven't used a charcoal grill in a long time (used gas grill) so I decided to start using one again and bought just a small Weber Smokey Joe grill since it's just the 2 of us. My question after reading through the manual (a guy reading a manual, crazy) is it says about how to cook different meats and vegetables to use indirect or direct high, medium, or low heat. I know how the indirect and direct part works but how do you know if you have high, medium, or low heat or does it even really matter? Does it have to do with how the vents on top and bottom are positioned?

Exactly. "High" means having the top and bottom vents both all the way open (allowing in the most oxygen), "low" means having both almost all the way shut, and "medium" is somewhere in-between. It takes some time to get to know your grill and just how to position the vents in order to control the temp. Most folks new to charcoal grilling tend to open them wide open and cook their meat to a crisp! Patience will be well rewarded.

You can also control the amount of smoke by throttling back on the top vent. Opening the lower vents more than the top vent retains more smoke and gives your meat a more smokey flavor.

I was a charcoal grill user way back when I was young, and suffered from lack of patience. I didn't want to wait for the coals to get ready, and didn't want to wait for the food to cook, so I typically burned it. I figured that's just how it is with charcoal grilling. Once I went with a gas grill, both of those problems went away, so I figured gas grilling was superior. That was until I moved to the midwest. BBQ and smoking is BIG out here, and only amateurs use gas grills! ;)

I picked up a vertical smoker and horizontal smoker for low temp cooking, but still used a gas grill for steaks, chicken, kabobs, burgers, dogs, etc. Then last year it was time to "refresh" the grill as its useful life was up and I went with a Weber kettle charcoal grill. Best decision I ever made in outdoor cooking! That thing is awesome and my food is much more flavorful. I've spent the last year becoming reacquainted with charcoal grilling and learning the ins and outs of temperature control, wood types, etc.

Ed
06-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Take it from Mike ^^^^ :thumbsup:

He's been known to be outside grilling steaks while surrounded by a few feet of snow. :snowman: :snowball:

:D

Tinkermom
06-04-2010, 12:51 AM
Take it from Mike ^^^^ :thumbsup:

He's been known to be outside grilling steaks while surrounded by a few feet of snow. :snowman: :snowball:

:D

Oh yea! I even have a PHOTO (http://mikehiteshew.smugmug.com/Other/My-Smug-Mug/11813091_wC82z#889255174_kVgXV-A-LB). By the way, Mike smoked some AWESOME ribs tonight on his Weber grill. Our DD requested Daddy's ribs for her 9th birthday dinner tonight. She ate almost half a slab!

Alligirl
06-16-2010, 12:59 AM
Hey Mike my DD makes killer ribs! In fact she took first place (in ribs) in her first competition! She is a member of KCBS & a certified judge. She is also a member of BBQ brethren. Just tonight she smoked about 6 racks of ribs in order to perfect her recipe. Do you compete?

SandmanGStefani24
06-16-2010, 06:46 PM
as crazy as it sounds, you might try having an impromptu bbq for practice!

I have done that before, just to see if I could do a decent job, and make my mistakes in private before inviting over friends/family for a cookout.