PDA

View Full Version : Tour guide question

pokci
05-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Not sure where to post this one. Is there such a thing as a tour guide position in the parks, or in the world as a whole? I plan trips for my friends all the time and when I go with WDW "virgins" I make the trip easier. So I was wondering if in my 'next life' :cloud9: I could do that as a cast member.

Thanks!

Strmchsr
05-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Yes, they have CMs who lead the VIP tours, the Keys to the Kingdom tours, and all the other tours that WDW offers. Look in Info Central and you'll see a large selection of special tours offered by WDW.

AJ Springfield
05-23-2010, 09:01 AM
I would sign up to be a tour guide, too!! I love talking about the ins and outs of WDW as (I am sure) you all do, too.

TheRustyScupper
05-24-2010, 12:14 AM
I would sign up to be a tour guide, too!! I love talking about the ins and outs of WDW as (I am sure) you all do, too.

It takes a lot to be a guide.
. . . seniority bidding
. . . up to three interviews
. . . memorizing verbatim up to a 21 page script

mjm12000
05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
We just took the Back Stage Magic tour which is a 7 1/2 hour full back stage tour, our two guides were Wayne and ... I think her name was Brenda ... anyhow Wayne had 20 years with the Disney COmpany, he worked in horticulture, and now works for the Disney Institute as an instructor as well as doing the tours. The Female Tour guide had 15 years experience, starting at Epcot as head of Food services for Norway then moved onto head of Laundry and now teaches leadership at the Disney Institute and hosts the tours. As you can see both have been with the company for many years in different areas and had extensive knowledge of everything from the history to how the plants grow to how the rides are built. So my guess is to get these jobs you need a combination of experience, seniority, personality, knowledge and the list I am sure goes on and on. I would highly recommend the Back Stage Magic tour to anyone interested in how things are run at WDW.

Ms. Mode
05-26-2010, 01:59 PM
It takes a lot to be a guide.
. . . seniority bidding
. . . up to three interviews
. . . memorizing verbatim up to a 21 page script

I guess I'll just stick with my original retirement plan and be a greeter on Main Street :thumbsup:

limegreenmonorail
05-26-2010, 09:02 PM
I did front desk at Animal Kingdom Lodge when I was on my college program, and you wouldn't believe how many people actually show up to check in with NO clue about WDW. They want to go to Disney for the first time, so they just make a hotel reservation and go...no research, no planning whatsoever. Sometimes they don't even know there's 4 parks! So, it's kind of fun when you have to take a good 45-60 minutes to check these folks in, create some magic and plan their entire trip for them. :mickey: Lots of times they've got kids that are dying to meet, say, Cinderella, but the parents have no idea how to make that happen. You get to plan the perfect trip for those kids! It's actually great when you get to know them, and they stop by the front desk every night to tell you how their vacation's going so far! You should work front desk!