PDA

View Full Version : The "what time does the 3pm parade" question explained..

MarkC
05-22-2010, 03:58 PM
I'm sure most of you have seen posts on here in the past with absurd questions to CM's, including the infamous "what time does the 3pm parade start?". I was talking to one of our trainers last week, and we were talking about giving presentations over and over to people, and what I learned from Disney and how they treat guests.

Our trainer told me that one of the most common questions CM's received was "what time does the 3pm parade start?" I've laughed at that in the past. However, upon further explanation, people don't mean what it seems. What they are asking is........"what time does the 3pm parade go by this particular spot?" It could be 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, etc.

Now I feel guilty, but it makes sense and sheds some light on the subject. I mean, if people are smart enough to take a trip to Disney, they've got to have some brains, right? I hope this explanation makes sense. Thanks.

PETE FROM NYC
05-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey MarkC
You sound pretty informed.
Now, when its 4 PM in MK, what time is it in the Studios?
LOL

MarkC
05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Sorry but I was told there would be no math when I signed up for this board. Ha.

MushuGrl
05-23-2010, 01:31 AM
AWESOME!

Now if I can just find out where that dang castle is...

Patti
05-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Can use my WDW ticket to park hop to Universal? I have the "hopper" option. ;) (just kidding)

05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Believe it or not, other than "where is the closest bathroom, one of the most asked questions is where to go to exit the MK.

I guess guests get all wrapped up in the day and forget where they came in.

Imagineer1981
05-23-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm sure most of you have seen posts on here in the past with absurd questions to CM's, including the infamous "what time does the 3pm parade start?". I was talking to one of our trainers last week, and we were talking about giving presentations over and over to people, and what I learned from Disney and how they treat guests.

Our trainer told me that one of the most common questions CM's received was "what time does the 3pm parade start?" I've laughed at that in the past. However, upon further explanation, people don't mean what it seems. What they are asking is........"what time does the 3pm parade go by this particular spot?" It could be 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, etc.

Now I feel guilty, but it makes sense and sheds some light on the subject. I mean, if people are smart enough to take a trip to Disney, they've got to have some brains, right? I hope this explanation makes sense. Thanks.

Actually my former trainer explained to me that what the guest is really asking is, "when do I need to line up to watch the parade". But your point is correct as well. Funny stuff

xo0ally
05-25-2010, 08:14 PM
lol this is funny. maybe the heat gets to some people some days.:cool:

TracyL
05-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Answering the question the guest *meant* to ask instead of the one they asked is the difference between customer service as a science and customer service as an art. :)

In my family, we joke a lot about the 3:00 parade. Because of course the 3:00 parade is at 3:00 in the Magic Kingdom, but the "3:00 parade" at Animal Kingdom usually starts at 4:00 or even later, and I've seen the "3:00 parade" at Hollywood Studios start anywhere from 3:00 to 5:00. If you define the "3:00 parade" as the main daytime parade attraction at a park, it's not necessarily at 3:00!

A friend of mine who used to work as a CM at the merchandise location over by the International Gateway said the weirdest question he ever got was a guest who wanted to know "how I get to Epcot from here." It took some doing for him to figure out what the guest was really asking, which was how to get to Spaceship Earth! :silly:

SurferStitch
05-30-2010, 10:32 AM
My favorite is when I hear someone in any park other than MK or in DTD say to someone on the phone, "No, we're not in Disney World. We're in Epcot today (or pick your spot)."

Really? Because, I'm in Disney World. I don't know where they think they are.

tiggerbuddy
06-27-2010, 09:37 AM
That last one reminds me of another post I saw here...A lady asked her husband in the restaurant "Tomorrow, Are we going to Disney or Epcot ?" Huh ???:confused:

prttynpnk
06-27-2010, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=TracyL;2060032]Answering the question the guest *meant* to ask instead of the one they asked is the difference between customer service as a science and customer service as an art. :)

God Bless those that know the difference!

Joannelet
06-27-2010, 10:34 AM
They actually used this question as an example in my cast member training....
But yes some do mean something else....but then there are others who don't LOL :)

#1disneyfan
06-27-2010, 05:50 PM
My favorite is when I hear someone in any park other than MK or in DTD say to someone on the phone, "No, we're not in Disney World. We're in Epcot today (or pick your spot)."

That last one reminds me of another post I saw here...A lady asked her husband in the restaurant "Tomorrow, Are we going to Disney or Epcot ?" Huh ???:confused:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I hear that ALL THE TIME! My mom has even fallen into that trap. My only explanation has to be that MK was the original, so maybe some people just call it Disney. However, for me I am in Disney when I walk off that plane!!

AHOTE
06-27-2010, 10:59 PM
They actually used this question as an example in my cast member training....
But yes some do mean something else....but then there are others who don't LOL :)

They use the same question it the Partners in Excellence Program taught by Disney people to business executives outside the Disney company.

laprana
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Yep, I hear this same thing on every trip...because it's my mom saying it! Drives me crazy, but I can't seem to break her of the habit, no matter how much I remind her that MK is actually IN Disney World! :shake: Now I just chuckle when she says it. I guess it's not too much different from my habit of still calling Hollywood Studios MGM! :blush:

nicjohn3
06-29-2010, 09:43 AM
I do the same thing-- I use MGM all the time.

r4kids
07-03-2010, 09:27 PM
LOL it's still MGM to me too. I love the posts, too funny!

#1disneyfan
07-04-2010, 12:24 PM
So we have an upcoming trip, and I was talking to my mom last night about our plans. And she had the nerve to ask me if Universal was in WDW! WHAT!!! :eyes::jaw:

I just can't seem to get this threw her head!