PDA

View Full Version : Summer Day Trips...Ocean City NJ Part 1

NJGIRL
05-22-2010, 01:48 PM
We will be doing alot of day trips this summer so I thought I would post our experiences with everyone. Since many of us are watching our $$$$ I will post prices as well as personal experiences so everyone can decide for themselves whether the cost is worth it for them to make the trip.

Ist Trip Ocean City NJ...May 14th (Friday)

Left for the beach at 10:30 and got there by 11:00. No traffic at all...it's really not peak season yet lol. We parked in the city parking lot on 8th Street right at the beach. I like this spot because you are right near the public bathrooms. Parking was $5 for all day and into the night.

Beach tags were not needed yet and a lot of stores and food places are not opened, but there are enough places opened to have a nice selection for lunch and snacks.

Public bathrooms were clean. Hope that lasts as they get busier.

It was a little overcast but still a beautiful day to sit on the beach. The beach was empty when we got there and stayed that way for the most part. I read a book and my son and his friend built sand castles all day.

We went up to the boardwalk for lunch around 2:00. We ate at the "Food Court" around 7th Street. We had one child's cheeseburger, two small fries, two small sodas, one plain piece of pizza and one piece of "salad pizza". Portions were small. The bill was $30! I grew up in this area and go to the boardwalk all of the time but have never gotten used to the price gouging :blush: I guess because it is so close to home I really don't consider it a "vacation spot". Anyway, back to the food. The "salad pizza" was $5 a slice. I have never seen this before but it was really good. It had a very crispy crust, lettuce and tomato mixed in a tasty oil & vinegar dressing and was topped off with fresh mozzerella. The kids said their food was good. This place only takes cash.

We went back down to the beach and by then the local high school was out. There were about 20 of them and they were loud and having fun. They were a little out of control with each other (one of them pegged another with a football to his head :confused:) but they didn't bother anyone else. I have to say I am no prude but the words that were coming out of their mouths (very loud) shocked me. I know that kids talk to each other like that but to hear it so openly in public was a little surprising. I was glad when they left.

We stayed on the beach until about 6:00 then packed up to go home. On the boardwalk at 8th Street there is a "Fudge Kitchen" . IMO they have the best fudge in South Jersey. We got a pound for home. It was $10 a pound and I believe that was the same price as last year. We got Maple Walnut, Chocolate Coconut, Cookies & Cream, Chocolate Chip, Mint Chocolate Chip, Cherry, Black Forest & Chocolate Nut. Their fudge is very creamy.

Total Cost: $45 (three people)

I boys had a great time and I loved relaxing by the ocean and reading. It was a great day.