PDA

View Full Version : Hometown food

Robert's Dad
05-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Is there anyone else out there who moved to another state, and misses food from their hometown? I moved from Kansas City to Denver 10 years ago, and for some reason today I am missing “Good” food that you can’t find here! Like Barbeque, and today for some reason today I am missing Dixon’s chili. What do you miss?

Disney4us2
05-21-2010, 05:12 PM
I used to live in Hawaii. I miss Zippy's zip min. It is a noodle soup and so ono.:thumbsup: Also miss all the bento lunches.

wdwluv
05-21-2010, 05:23 PM
We were born and raised in Western New York, (Buffalo area) and lived in SoFla for 3 years.(1998-2001) I miss SoFla terribly - but I sure missed our food when we were there. We just got back from a WDW visit and as soon as we got home we got our Tim Hortons coffee and then headed to Duff's for chicken wings. Mighty Taco is something we always miss too. Gosh there is lots of great food here!

NotaGeek
05-21-2010, 05:47 PM
I live in Seattle ... and was raised in New Mexico and was in Phoenix for almost 20 years ... I can honestly say I miss Mexican food something terrible ... REAL Mexican food. :(

MNNHFLTX
05-21-2010, 05:52 PM
The one food I really miss from Minnesota I could only get there once a year, and that was fried cheese curds from the State Fair. Down here in Texas at the Houston Rodeo each year they have a plethora of deep-fried concoctions--Twinkies, Snickers bars, White Castle burgers, cheesecake and Coke (yes, deep fried Coca-Cola!)--but no fried cheese curds. :(

wdwluv
05-21-2010, 05:59 PM
How on earth do they deep fry a drink???? :confused:

Mousefever
05-21-2010, 11:01 PM
I miss Sugar on Snow from VT, and whoopie pies and Dunkin Donuts from New England.

Amy

wdwfansince75
05-21-2010, 11:23 PM
When DW and I get back to the Slate Belt area of PA, we always get Pasties from Pen Argyl, Deitzi's Steak sandwiches in Wind Gap, Speer's Ring Bologna in Bangor, and Tomato Pie from LaDonne's in Roseto....All taste as good as way back in the sixties, when we first moved away.

After many years away, we moved back to PA, in Montgomery County....and since we left there, we really miss the wonderful baked goods and deli meats from Henning's and Landis markets.

Ed
05-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Originally from Maryland, we were totally spoiled by some of the best seafood on the earth. Crab cakes :crab: that weren't 40% bread filler, fresh-caught rockfish (striped bass) when in season, steamed crabs (not boiled :sick: ), and heaps of steamed shrimp.

And my two true weaknesses when we go back up there, or someone comes south to visit us ~~ Utz potato chips and Berger cookies (http://bonappetithon.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/berger-cookies.jpg). :tasty:

True, we can get some amazing fish down here, but I haven't been able to bring myself to try another local dish ---> :gator:

TheDuckRocks
05-22-2010, 10:47 AM
I used to live in Hawaii. I miss Zippy's zip min. It is a noodle soup and so ono.:thumbsup: Also miss all the bento lunches.

We lived in Hawaii for 13 years and we too miss Zippy's. Also Sam Choy's for breakfast, fried rice or spam for breakfast, Tommy's Bigger Burgers, lau lau, teri burgers at McDonald's, malasadas, pork hash,.............and the list goes on and on.

I live in Seattle ... and was raised in New Mexico and was in Phoenix for almost 20 years ... I can honestly say I miss Mexican food something terrible ... REAL Mexican food. :(

Having lived most of my life in Southern California, I had no idea that the rest of the country eats UNREAL Mexican food. Man, half of the stuff, here on the east coast, that they try to pawn off as Mexican food is pathic.

OK, now I'm starving.

Jimenyfan
05-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Moved from south jersey to south carolina and I really miss cheesesteaks, pizza and soft pretzels. I use to miss Tastykakes but I can get them down here now.:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
05-23-2010, 11:42 AM
How on earth do they deep fry a drink???? :confused:It's Coke-flavored batter deep fried, with Coke syrup drizzled on top, along with whipped cream, cinnamon and sugar. Not really my cup of tea (or Coke, as it may be), but lots of people like it.

jennbunn
05-23-2010, 12:03 PM
i used to live in Las Vegas and I miss Del taco, Dunkin Donuts, the buffet at the Rio, and in and out burger.

Dulcee
05-24-2010, 07:47 AM
While living in PA for undergrad and soon to be North Carolina for grad I'll miss..

Pork Roll on a bagel

Can't get either once you leave New Jersey.

Jeniflower
05-24-2010, 07:53 AM
ir's not just in the states that you can miss food.
i'm from Belfast N.Ireland but live in Edinburgh, Scotland, I miss brown lemonade, pasties from Longs, Sawyers bacon and tayto crisps.

my dads going over this weekend though, so hopefully he won't forget the bacon

Dznygrl79
05-24-2010, 01:46 PM
I live in Delaware but spent some time in England and I miss PG Tips and Twirls! Cadburys is so good in England.
Oh and Walkers Prawn and Cocktail Crisps.

diz_girl
05-24-2010, 02:20 PM
Another Philly native, but I only moved 1 1/2 hours away. I can still get good cheesesteaks (although in Philly Jim's is the best) and pizza (Charlie's on Adams Avenue gets my vote), but it's the soft pretzels that are hard to come by. I miss that brown paper bag of pretzels all squished together in a slab you that could get from the street vendors. There is a Philly Pretzel Factory location near me, but I don't trust it. Having Philly in the store name doesn't fool me.

Oh, and I miss Amoroso's rolls.

I don't miss most Tastykakes as much, since I can get them at my local supermarket now, although I have trouble getting those Tasty Klair Pies near me.

DisneyDog
05-26-2010, 04:41 PM
The Philly Pretzel Factory is the real deal. The right shape, taste, everything. I've been to tons of parties where they serve them and they are very good. To anyone not familiar with Philly soft pretzels, they are NOT like Auntie Anne's. No butter. Shaped more like an oval with a knot in the center, and go stale very quickly because they are made fresh daily with no preservatives. They are simply heavenly.

I lived in Naples, Florida for a few years, and what they call cheesesteaks down there is pretty scary. If they have to preface it by saying "Philly" or "Philly style" then you know NOT to order it. I missed cheesesteaks, soft pretzels, birch beer (much more than I expected!,) Tastykakes (they only had 3 varieties and NO fruit pies!), tomato pie (if you aren't from Norristown, it's cold pizza without melted cheese, just sprinkled parm cheese, and incredibly awesome), and waterice. There was a Rita's about an hour away in Ft. Myers, but that was just too far to go. Oh, and anything Amish, like chicken corn soup, and of course, the birch beer.

I've been back for 5 years now, and I still appreciate the fact that I am now surrounded by all the wonderful stuff that I missed so badly when I was away.

TiggeRia
05-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Another Philly native, but I only moved 1 1/2 hours away. I can still get good cheesesteaks (although in Philly Jim's is the best) and pizza (Charlie's on Adams Avenue gets my vote), but it's the soft pretzels that are hard to come by. I miss that brown paper bag of pretzels all squished together in a slab you that could get from the street vendors. There is a Philly Pretzel Factory location near me, but I don't trust it. Having Philly in the store name doesn't fool me.

I am a die hard for real Philly pretzels, too, but the Philly Pretzel Factory is a pretty good second! :thumbsup:

Jimenyfan
05-26-2010, 07:11 PM
While living in PA for undergrad and soon to be North Carolina for grad I'll miss..

Pork Roll on a bagel

Can't get either once you leave New Jersey.

Where I live in South Carolina you can get Taylors Pork Roll or Pork Roll sliced at the deli counter. Every once in awhile I treat myself to a pork roll sandwich.

Mousefever
05-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Oh, and anything Amish, like chicken corn soup, and of course, the birch beer.

I bet you don't miss the scrapple!

Amy

DisneyDog
05-28-2010, 10:38 AM
I've never had Scrapple in my life. When asked what is Scrapple, I usually tell people that it's the stuff that doesn't make it into hotdogs. :D

Last summer, my DS7, the fussiest eater ever, was over his friends house. When he came home, he was so excited because he had tried something new. "It's called Scrapple, and I LOVED it!" he says. This from a kid who refused to try hamburgers.

Dznygrl79
06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Scrapple is big stuff in Delaware, we even have a Scrapple Festival! Its better not to know whats in it just stick it on bread with eggs and eat it...Kinda like when I was in Scotland don't ruin it just serve it and I will let yet know after if I liked it and wanna know whats in it..no to hagis and maybe to blood pudding still can't get passed the fact of blood.

plutosnana
06-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I lived at wdw! And I missed Peco's Bill's ... everything! I consider wdw not a vacation..but a hometown! :mickey:

TinksDH
06-07-2010, 09:10 AM
We grew up in South Jersey, and for the longest time missed cheesesteaks, pizza, pork roll sandwiches, and scrapple. Now there is a Jersey Mike's a block from us, and they actually make a real good cheesesteak and pizza. However, DW worked at a local deli and can make the best cheesesteak and hoagie around! The difficulty is getting the right meat and rolls. The rolls are the key. :thumbsup:

Still miss pork roll and scrapple. :(

We lived in SE Texas for a while, and can honestly say I miss the good cajun food and deep fried turkey. Also lived in DE, very close to MD, and miss those great crabs that Ed talked about earlier. Luckily I travel back there 3X - 4X a year, so can get my fill then!

DisneyOtaku
06-09-2010, 09:33 AM
I live in the heart of Cajun Country (South Louisiana, fyi), and though I still live here, I have yet to find a place outside of this area that serves *real* Cajun food.

Hint: If it's called "Blacken-Cajun Insert-Food-Here" on the menu, IT'S NOT REAL CAJUN.

Ed
06-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I bet you don't miss the scrapple!

Amy

I've never had Scrapple in my life. When asked what is Scrapple, I usually tell people that it's the stuff that doesn't make it into hotdogs. :D

Last summer, my DS7, the fussiest eater ever, was over his friends house. When he came home, he was so excited because he had tried something new. "It's called Scrapple, and I LOVED it!" he says. This from a kid who refused to try hamburgers.

Scrapple is big stuff in Delaware, we even have a Scrapple Festival! Its better not to know whats in it just stick it on bread with eggs and eat it.

Still miss pork roll and scrapple. :( ....

Also lived in DE, very close to MD, and miss those great crabs that Ed talked about earlier. Luckily I travel back there 3X - 4X a year, so can get my fill then!

I'm detecting a pattern here... :D

Scrapple is best described as containing every part of the pig except the oink.

We have a terrible time finding it here in Florida, but several of the Publix stores do have it in the frozen meats section. Freezing somewhat alters the texture, but it's still good.

Loaded up on plenty of scrapple :pig: and steamed crabs :crab: this past weekend up in Maryland.

:tasty:

DisneyDog
06-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Ed, when I lived in Florida, someone told me that the Amish vacation down there. I was very confused because I figured it would take a very, very, very looooong time to get from Lancaster, PA to Florida with a horse and buggy. (Apparently, they get someone to drive them. Who knew?:blush:)

So, if you can find where the Amish vacation down there, you can probably find more Scrapple:thumbsup:

Ed
06-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Ed, when I lived in Florida, someone told me that the Amish vacation down there. I was very confused because I figured it would take a very, very, very looooong time to get from Lancaster, PA to Florida with a horse and buggy. (Apparently, they get someone to drive them. Who knew?:blush:)

So, if you can find where the Amish vacation down there, you can probably find more Scrapple:thumbsup:

Now that you mention it, a few years ago we saw a rather large group of Amish folks on the beach on Sanibel Island. The ladies were actually wading out into the Gulf, ankle-length skirts and all.

Wadeace
06-18-2010, 09:58 AM
I moved from Key West to Orlando, still the same state but very different in many ways. The food I think I miss the most would have to be Cuban food, I think specifically I would have to say that I miss most fresh Cuban bread.

bucky at disney
06-18-2010, 10:04 AM
A good ole fashion Wisconsin fish fry. Everytime we're gone on vacation - can't find it anywhere.....

beksy
06-19-2010, 12:51 AM
When I'm away at school I miss several things from home. The biggest things would be Jess' chili dogs (just a small restaurant in my hometown but their chili recipe is like none other and their milk shakes are great too), the egg rolls at this one convenience store (strange I know but they are unique and great!), and the little Mexican stands set-up selling authentic Mexican tacos. Its also hard to find a really good Chinese buffet in Morgantown--take out is okay and there are some sit-down but am still searching for the buffet! I did miss the fried pickles and BBQ but they are slowly coming to Morgantown.

jrkcr
06-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm from SC, but have lived out west and now in upstate NY.
I miss my MAMAS home cooking!!! She is by far the best southern cook EVER. Her pound cakes, macaroni and cheese, banana pudding, collard greens, potato salad....this list could go on.

I can't find DUKE'S mayo outside the south, so I order it online or my parents ship it to me. Can't do w/o Dukes! :thumbsup:

I was stopped in the grocery store twice by people asking "what do you DO with that?". Once for sweet potatoes and again for collard greens. I gave a mini cooking lesson right there in the store. I tried to explain FATBACK...

Luckily I am going to SC in a few weeks for a family reunion. My family does the BEST grilled chicken and BBQs(pig in the ground!). Not a BBQ like with mustard sauce or ketchup, but with vinegar! Sounds odd, but it is GREAT! :thumbsup: We put vinegar sauce on the BBQ pork, and on the grilled chickens.

Have to go wipe off my laptop now from all this drool....:eat:

beksy
06-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Not a BBQ like with mustard sauce or ketchup, but with vinegar! Sounds odd, but it is GREAT! :thumbsup: We put vinegar sauce on the BBQ pork, and on the grilled chickens.

Have to go wipe off my laptop now from all this drool....:eat:

Yummy...I know what you mean! Can I become a temporary family member? :here:

jrkcr
06-20-2010, 05:41 AM
Sure! You could show up, and I'd just say "hmmm, must be one of my cousins I don't know". I have alot of them!

PlutoToo
06-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Birch Beer! Yum. I miss that too.:thumbsup: