PDA

View Full Version : Lacking good food

eeyorepoohfan
05-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Does anyone else feel that Disneyland is lacking good food? My sisters and I just spend a long weekend at DL and never felt any of our counter service meals matched up to the taste and price of WDW counter service. I was just at WDW in December and so was one of my sisters and the food there was better and cheaper. The food at DL seemed blah and was more expensive. At WDW we easily shared meals in the family. But at DL, we often felt hungry very quickly when sharing. We did, however, fill the need by eating ice cream for a meal on Main Street twice! :thumbsup:Is it just us, or does anyone else feel that way?

NewDVCowner
05-21-2010, 11:31 AM
It certainly seems that there's not a whole lot of options aside from pizza and hamburgers. I like the Mexican restaurant near Big Thunder, but aside from that I haven't been paticularly impressed.

I think that the food offerings at DCA are better, however to be honest I don't spend a lot of time over there and don't think I've eaten there more than once or twice.

NotaGeek
05-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I am not sure how anyone can try and compare food options at Disneyland to WDW -- we are talking about 2 parks vs. an entire compound of resorts, parks DTD options.

There are many great places to eat at DLR -- and I dare anyone to compare the counter service burger/chicken options at Hungry Bear to anything WDW has to offer.

It's funny because when I go to WDW I always hate every counter service I try because it feels like just another boxed option with gross fries.

BrerGnat
05-21-2010, 01:45 PM
I feel the complete OPPOSITE.

I go to (and eat at) Disneyland EVERY week. Been doing that for about 5 years now.

I also go to WDW every year or two. I was *just* at WDW in March/April. I felt the food overall at WDW was pretty bad. Thank GOD we were staying CL and had some real food to fall back on (otherwise, I think we would have gone an entire week without eating a single fresh veggie, other than iceberg lettuce and shredded carrots....)

I feel that Disneyland actually offers WAY more fresh and healthy options.

I think if you look BEYOND the burgers and fries, you will realize that Disneyland Resort offers a MUCH better variety of CS meals than the whole of WDW.

I can't even remember the last time I had a burger and fries at DL...my kids eat them, but I always find something new to try and I find that DLR offers many more sandwiches, salads, wraps, fruit plates, etc.

Also, Bengal Barbeque has the skewers which are great! Then, there is the gumbo in bread bowls at NOS. And, French Market has some unique CS items as well. River Belle Terrace has those carved meat sandwiches made fresh to order, with some unique side items as well as some GREAT steak and turkey salads. I could go on. And that's not even mentioning DCA...

And, for what it's worth, I think the pizza at Redd Rocket's Pizza port in tomorrowland (and the salads!) are better than ANY pizza you can find at WDW at this point...

Disney4us2
05-21-2010, 03:23 PM
While I haven't been back to WDW since Dec 2006, I am at Disneyland amost every Saturday. I find the food very good and tasty. We don't usually go to the CS where the burgers/fries are served. Most of the time we eat at one of the following (depending where our group that we meet up with chooses to eat), French Market... DD loves the Mac n cheese. I like the bread bowl clam chowder/salad combo. Whitewater snacks at the Grand Californian.... they have killer nachos:thumbsup: On occasion, we eat TS at Storytellers Cafe(GCH)... costs about what it would at Whitewater snacks. The Plaza Inn has great fried chicken, and one of my favorites is the TS Carnation Cafe on Main Street. Love the turkey sandwich with the pesto mayo. At DCA we like the Pacific Wharf Bakery. DD loves the cheddar/broccoli soup in the bread bowl. I usually get the Sonoma chicken salad in the bread bow.

I have never left a meal hungry, just the opposite. I can't compare prices to WDW's since I haven't been for a while. Disneyland probably is more, thank goodness for my AP discount.

Dang.... now I am hungry talking about the restaurants:mickey:

eeyorepoohfan
05-21-2010, 04:30 PM
:thumbsup:I will say that we did LOVE our bread bowl with broccoli cheese soup at the Pacific Warf. Our favorite meal of the trip. My sisters both frequent DL (AP holders) and they just felt it was lacking this time around. We found it to be inconsistent. We were at one CS and saw the turkey sandwhich and it looked great and big enough to share for two people. However, we ordered it at another CS and it was super small and had cheap lunch meat slices on it! We did eat a great cobb salad at the Plaza Inn for dinner. My sister and I easily shared it! We did it a burger once at Hungry Bear at it just lacked any flavor. I'm normally a big burger fan at Disney, but it just didn't cut it for us. Maybe we just hit the restaurants at an off time. Don't get me wrong, I love DL and DCA and usually love the food! I used to eat a burger at least once a day on trips, but this time around it was just ok.

When we were at WDW in December, we just found the food to be more consistent and better tasting. Maybe I'm just missing WDW ;) :mickey:

mom2morgan
05-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Haven't been yet, but I *am* a little concerned about finding stuff I'll like. There seems to be a lot of Mexican and South-Western cuisine (obviously!!) but I'm not a fan. But then again, I had a couple "culture shock" moments at WDW, like finding out that the iced tea isn't sweetened and the cornbread IS LOL