PDA

View Full Version : I feel so bad...

luvdiznee
05-20-2010, 11:48 AM
Not sure what to do. My DD12 is a Type I Diabetic, and also has Asthma.

Her school is having a program that she got accepted for where they will be doing things with them over the summer such as taking them on 2 major bus trips. One to NYC, the other to Boston. I really want her to go. And was hoping due to her conditions that perhaps the school would allow me to go on these trips. I told them I would pay whatever they wanted as well as help out with other children.

Well today, I got the big NO. That they can't allow one parent to go without allowing others. I told her I'm not just looking to go just to go, that my daughters health needs to be monitored by someone who knows this stuff. As there will be no medical professional there.

Yes, DD knows how to take care of herself, checking her blood sugars as well as when to give insulin, but at the same time she is a child and when she gets caught up in having a good time with friends she will let things lapse. Which with Diabetes doesn't take too much to get a low blood sugar and then a seizure can occur.

I know we can communicate by cellphones but not sure if that would be good enough.

Don't know whether to pursue this further or just tell DD she can't go. I was thinking about asking the teacher who I actually talked to if she would be willing to take DD and make sure she stays on her schedule as far as checking her blood sugars and making sure she eats when she has to. Not just when everyone else is going to. Though I don't want to put a burden of liability on her.

Just not sure. :(

Ms. Mode
05-20-2010, 12:48 PM
When my DD went on trips with her school they had a nurse traveling with them, I'm surprised that your DDs school would want to take that kind of resposibility without a trained medical person going along.

Having said that, my question is this: does your DD wear a monitor? My DD's roommate has one that she wears continuously; it let's her know if her sugar level is out of whack.

This is a tough decision, good luck!

gerald72
05-20-2010, 01:06 PM
How old is your daughter?
Can you go to these places on your own just to check up on her from time to time?

Suzi Q
05-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Seriously, if the district doesn't supply a nurse to accompany your daughter for her medical needs, it would seem they MUST allow you to go. I'd call the ADA hotline at 800 - 514 - 0301 and see what they say. As a veteran parent who has fought the school district and won many many times.....never take no for an answer. Who cares if the other parents can't go - this is medically necessary, and sounds like the school just doesn't want be bothered by other parents wanting to go -that's their problem, not yours. (My youngest is graduating this year and I am sure my school district is doing the happy dance!)

Missy_Mouses_Dad
05-20-2010, 02:50 PM
I agree...when dd14 went on her sixth grade camping trip, besides the chaperones, we made sure a trained emt/nurse was along on the trip. This person held all medications and monitored the taking and distribution of them. You would think this has to be mandatory, especially with children.

MMFreak
05-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I also have a type 1 daughter who is on an insulin pump and I can def sympathize with you about getting distracted. She is off at her first year of college this year and has done very well on her own BUT with that said... We live in NJ and the law here clearly states that all field trips a nurse must be present if there is a child that has medical needs. Look into the laws in your state and make sure they are followed. I have had a few conversations (to say the least) with her school. They will get away with whatever they can.

Good luck

BrerGnat
05-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Don't you have to fill out a form every year for the school that lists her medical issues and meds she has to take? Isn't the nurse in charge of keeping her meds during the day? That's how it is at our kid's school.

Now, I do know that for summer extracurricular activities, they do not HAVE to provide a nurse. But, I can't imagine how they can deny you IF they will not be providing a nurse. Ask if a nurse will be present. If not, demand that you be allowed to chaperone, for medical reasons. I can't imagine that they'd make a 12 year old be responsible for handling her own insulin (aren't there laws about that stuff in school?).

On the other hand, she IS 12. At 12, I was babysitting toddlers. You have to, at some point, make her responsible for her diabetes and asthma management. She is old enough, IMO, to start being taught the importance of this, and how it is NOT negotiable or dependent on having nothing better going on at any given time. Set a schedule for checking blood sugar and make her learn it and stick to it. Time to hand over the reigns a bit, especially if you expect her to be able to manage these issues in her adult life later on.

Dznygrl79
05-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Since it is a Summer Activity is it officially run by the school or an outside agency? I would prepare her to do this heself just in case there is no medical professional. I know we did not always have an RN just CPR/First aid trained adults especially on trips(the nurse would stay at the facility). Also I would talk to the adult who will be directly in charge of her group to make sure they understand the extent of her needs.
For our school, parents where not allowed to go because of insurance and lack of background check
Good Luck!

Ian
05-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Unless you have reason to believe she's highly likely to experience issues, I think I'd let her go on her own.

But listen ... you know her a lot better than we do (which is not at all ;)) so I would say go with your gut. As a parent it's probably right.

Scar
05-20-2010, 05:00 PM
Yes, DD knows how to take care of herself, checking her blood sugars as well as when to give insulin, but at the same time she is a child and when she gets caught up in having a good time with friends she will let things lapse.As Ian said, you know her and we don't, but I just want to ask this... Are you sure she will let things lapse? Or is this just you thinking as a protective parent. I'll bet if you reinforce the importance of her checking, she'll do it.

Daisy'sMom
05-20-2010, 06:23 PM
First, do you trust your daughter? You have given her the education to know right from wrong and have taught her about her disease. I would sit her down and go over all the rules but let her test the waters by herself.
You might be surprised and proud of her. Give her a chance Mom. Let her be like the other kids. I am sure she needs a confidence boost and what better than Mom telling her she knows she will fine without her.
Take a deep breath and try not to worry. I know it is hard, but she will be fine. Good Luck.:mickey: