PDA

View Full Version : California Grill Attire

andypooh
05-18-2010, 09:21 PM
I will be down in WDW in November and am planning a dinner for just myself and my DW at California Grill at 8pm. I was wondering what people thought was proper attire between jeans, nice shorts, khaki's or it just doesn't really matter. Thanks.

:mickey:

EpcotNut
05-18-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't believe there is a dress code (you may want to check) but if you wore jeans or shorts, you'd feel underdressed. Enjoy - IMO it's the best meal on property!:thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
05-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I've been there three times...once in shorts, once in Xmas coveralls and once in Jeans...there are people dressed up and people dressed way down. A good cross-section. Go in whatever you are comfortable in, but don't bring 'special' clothes just for this dinner.
:pirate:

thejens
05-18-2010, 11:34 PM
I believe there is a suggested dress code. I personally would not go in my grungy park clothes. Most people seem to be slightly dressed up. (men in khaki pants and polo shirt at least)

SurferStitch
05-19-2010, 12:48 AM
I'd go with khakis. Khakis are the least dressy thing DH wears there.

Have a great dinner!!

Fastpasssteve
05-19-2010, 03:11 AM
I understand that people's schedules are tight when visiting the parks and trasportation and all...but, I always plan my day, so that I can go back to the room and change to 'business casual' for dinner at the California Grill. I think it gives the evening a sense of ocassion.

Consider this: When you go to the trouble to plan such an expensive, wonderful evening meal, what do you want to be wearing when you get the photos back in a month? Do shorts and a t-shirt really 'go' with a white tablecloth and wine goblets. Dressing up (a little) is a good visual cue to your children that this is a special thing we're doing now.

VWL Mom
05-19-2010, 06:46 AM
DH does the khakis and DS14 & DS18 do the golf shorts w/polo. I think FPSteve hit the nail on the head. There is a business casual dress code for CG (and all signature dining) but it doesn't seem to be enforced very well. This is from my confo for November:

Dress Code Guidelines:
Men: Khakis, slacks, jeans, dress shorts, collared shirts. Sport coats are optional.
Ladies: Capris, skirts, dresses, jeans, dress shorts.

NOT permitted in dining room: Tank tops, swimwear, hats for gentleman, cut offs or torn clothing. While t-shirts are now allowed, the policy remains that t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics are NOT acceptable.

wdw dude
05-19-2010, 10:30 AM
When I went to California Grill a few years ago, I wore nice shorts and a collared shirt and felt fine. There were people really dressed up and others, not so much. Definitely no flip-flops.

:mickey:

DisneyDoug2
05-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Its one of the nicest places to eat, so dress up a little so you don't feel like your one of the pack.

mudpuppysmom
05-20-2010, 12:00 AM
I understand that people's schedules are tight when visiting the parks and trasportation and all...but, I always plan my day, so that I can go back to the room and change to 'business casual' for dinner at the California Grill. I think it gives the evening a sense of ocassion.

Consider this: When you go to the trouble to plan such an expensive, wonderful evening meal, what do you want to be wearing when you get the photos back in a month? Do shorts and a t-shirt really 'go' with a white tablecloth and wine goblets. Dressing up (a little) is a good visual cue to your children that this is a special thing we're doing now.

I agree. When I go to the trouble of booking a nice dinner (or meal for that matter) I ALWAYS make sure we have time to go back to the resort and change clothes (and get cleaned up). Disney will tell you there is a business cas dress code and our family adheres to that. I have seen people there though who have come from water parks in their beach wear......they stuck out. Cali Grill is a nice place -- I voted for khakis -- get cleaned up and enjoy!

DVC2004
05-20-2010, 09:14 AM
I agree- there is a dresscode and pretty lax- at the signature restuarants. They tell you on the phone when you make your ressie. We went to Jiko a few trips ago and one guy came in dirty construction work boots, cutoff jean shorts and a tie-dye tee-shirt. Another lady showed up in sweats. It just detracts from the experience. Khakis aren't really even super fancy you know? I get that it's vacation and people want to be comfortable,but for the sig restaurants not in parks it's not too hard to go clean up and change. There's plenty of other options to be ultra- casual. Ok, I'll get down from my soapbox now.

SBETigg
05-20-2010, 09:26 AM
It's not really hard to follow the dress code now that it is so lenient. There's no excuse for showing up in bathing suits and torn clothing. But, you can wear tees and shorts, if you're so inclined. It wouldn't be my choice, either, but I don't dictate what you should wear to please me. If I want to get dressed up and have a nice time, it shouldn't matter to me what the people next to me are wearing-- as long as it's in keeping with the established dress code of the restaurant in question. I've never seen people in violation of the dress code allowed in, or not allowed in, I just haven't seen people try to wear something not allowed.

The dress code for California Grill:

Attire considered appropriate by this dress code is:
• Dress shorts
• Dress pants
• Jean pants
• Collared shirts
• Blouses
• Sweaters
• T-shirts

Attire not permitted by this dress code is:
• Hats
• Swimsuits
• Swimsuit cover-up's
• Tank tops
• Torn clothing
• Flip-flops

disneykid@hrt
05-20-2010, 09:34 AM
We went in January for my daughter's birthday dinner. We are an ultra casual family , but packed nicer clothes just to wear to this. We also gave ourselves plenty of time to take a break and spend extra time on ourselves getting ready. We were going for a special occasion, but I think we would have done so regardless.

It is a nicer joint. If you're spending that much money on a meal, than you should have no problem buying some $15 khakis at Old Navy.

southerngirl
05-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Ditto what everyone has said about making the effort to dress a little nicer. We had dinner there in December, and my DH wore khaki pants and a golf shirt, and I wore a dress (our DS wore some cute smocked green Christmas overalls). I was surprised to see several people in jeans and sweat shirts, who had obviously just come from the parks. It just seemed a little strange to me that you'd spend all that money on a nice dinner and show up in your park clothes.

Fastpasssteve
05-23-2010, 01:48 AM
I suppose one could break it down to a sense of proper context: I would wear something nicer to a more formal restaurant. By the same token, I will use a proper "inside" tone of voice and not use language fit for a ballgame. I will not drink fanta orange soda, I will have a hearty red wine. See where I'm going here?

A person wearing a tux or evening gown would get some funny looks at Casey's getting a hot dog...or tackling a turkey leg. It just doesn't fit.