PDA

View Full Version : MK - can anyone identify this flower?

Suzi Q
05-18-2010, 04:29 PM
First week of May in MK I saw the most beautiful flowerbed on Main St...bright pink stalk with purple spikes...and have been trying to figure out what it is! Does anyone know or have a good idea of where to look?

NewDVCowner
05-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Do you have a picture?

peemagg
05-18-2010, 05:52 PM
Please post a picture. We might be able to tell you by seeing a picture. I think I might know, but with a picture I could tell you for sure.

brownie
05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Blazing Star is a possibility. I couldn't find anything in my Disney garden books that really helped.

Suzi Q
05-20-2010, 09:47 AM
For the life of me I cannot figure out how to post a pic here...if it's even possible...so I posted it on my facebook page.

I would LOVE to plant these in my yard...if they'll grow in Michigan!

Suzi Q
05-21-2010, 08:46 AM
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=31017948&id=1334251680

Cinderella7299
05-21-2010, 10:59 PM
That is a type of bromeliad. It is an Aechmea (pronounced EEK-me-uh) "Blue Tango". It will not tolerate temperatures below about 35-40 degrees. You may be able to grow them outside in filtered sun (in a pot is probably best) during the warmer months in Michigan, but you'll have to overwinter them indoors in a very bright location (near a window for example). They can get large, but not gigantic. That bloom spike you admired only shows up about once a year or so. Once they bloom, the original plant dies. They can also be quite expensive. We live in South Florida where bromeliads are quite common, and we see this particular variety going for about $40 for a good quality plant.

Let me know if you want any additional information. My husband and I are avid bromeliad collectors, so I have lots of experience with these guys!

:mickey: Ginnylynne