PDA

View Full Version : MNSSHP costume question.

Pagan
05-18-2010, 10:30 AM
I have my tickets for September 25th, and I'm thinking of going as Gene Simmons of KISS.

This is the costume (http://images.kisscostumes.com/adult-gene-simmons-costume.jpg) I'm thinking of wearing, do you think it will cause any problems?

The "spikes" on the costume are actually a soft foam, so there's no danger.

Any input would be appreciated, before I spend the $$$ on the outfit!

Ian
05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
The one area where I think you'd have problems is with the face paint.

If memory serves (I'm like 90% on this) Disney doesn't allow costumes with full face masks. I'm thinking they might lump full face makeup in there, as well.

Honestly, I don't think I'd try it. I'd put your odds at less than 50%.

Pagan
05-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe I'll make a phone call or two to try and find out. Last year there was a little kid there with KISS makeup on.

GothMickey
05-18-2010, 12:37 PM
The one area where I think you'd have problems is with the face paint.

If memory serves (I'm like 90% on this) Disney doesn't allow costumes with full face masks. I'm thinking they might lump full face makeup in there, as well.

Honestly, I don't think I'd try it. I'd put your odds at less than 50%.

They claim they do not allow masks, but I have seen plenty of adults wearing masks. I have also seen adults wearing face paint. Heck, I even saw a male dressed as TinkerBell. And how about the adults that dress as Jack Sparrow? They have on fake beards and face make up. I understand why they have this policy, but, in all seriousness, they need to either enforce the policy in total or be done with it.

Gusgus
05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
I have gone twice with face paint and I was by far not the only one. No problems. There are concerns about your costume getting caught in things, long capes and scarves. Just be careful of your "bat wings". The only thing that catches my eye is whether you are really going to wear those boots with those heels.

Gusgus

Pagan
05-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the input guys...I just called guest relations and full face makeup is no problem.

Believe me Gusgus, I anticipated that. I ordered the boots already, bought ankle supports, and I'll be "practicing" walking in them.

My band in the 70's wore ones like that, so I want to see if muscle memory isn't just a myth! ;)

And yea, the bat wings will be kept in check. I could only imagine the local headlines if I got caught on something.

Ian
05-18-2010, 02:28 PM
A couple points ...

#1, just because you were told face paint is okay over the phone, don't assume that means it will be okay at the gate. This is Disney we're talking about after all. Home of the Confused Cast Member.

#2, I see face paint and masks related to Disney characters as being lower risk than a Gene Simmons costume.

I'm still hesitant to see you spend that kind of money on a costume, schlep it all the way down there, only to not be able to wear it in the parks.

Fastpasssteve
05-18-2010, 02:38 PM
My guiding thought when choosing a costume for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party is the phrase "not so scary." Keep in mind that this is an environment filled with small children and the parents that care for them and the cast members who work for them. I would try to choose something less scary. Gene Simmons, at his cheeriest moment, is scary. In the KISS makeup, you could make a small child cry, even if you are singing "I'm a little teapot." Just sayin'.

Pagan
05-18-2010, 02:52 PM
This is a tough one. I know about the "not so scary" aspect.

I was Alice Cooper last year and didn't have any problem.

I know I specifically told the agent at guest relations that it was Gene Simmons.

Hmmm...have to ponder this...

Gusgus
05-18-2010, 03:13 PM
- I went one year as beast. Head to toe including a mask. I took the mask off for attractions
- One DS was Cogsworth. Full clock roundness/bulkiness and his face hanging out also painted as a clock
- My other DS was Lumiere, full costome no face painting.
- Two years I was tigger. Full fur and tail, my entire face painted. Did you know sometimes Tigger is drawn with a pink nose and others black?

By the way Disney has face painting everyday (MK, DHS, AK) and even has free face painting at the MNSSHP.

Gusgus

Gusgus
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
If you preorder your tickets (you should) I believe this is the letter that comes with your tickets with "the rules". If someone ordered 2010 tickets maybe they can confirm the letter for this year.

FOR THE SAFETY OF YOUR CHILD AND OTHERS, PLEASE ADHERE TO THE GUIDELINES BELOW.

Halloween costumes should NOT:
Obstruct the guest's view or interfere with their ability to board/unload from attractions and/or the Walt Disney World Resort transportation system (including monorails, ferry boats and motorcoaches).
Drag on the ground.
Contain sharp or pointed objects or material that may accidentally stike another guest.
Be offensive to other guests.
Contain any weapons which resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon

Gusgus

Pirate Granny
06-04-2010, 08:10 PM
OK now...we'll be there the same night as Pagan...I'm going to be keeping my eye out for you and your costume...have a wonderful time.
:pirate:

06-04-2010, 10:32 PM
A couple points

#1,don't assume that means it will be okay at the gate. This is Disney we're talking about after all. Home of the Confused Cast Member.

As a CM who has worked the turnstiles (gate as you call it) for a LOT of the parties, I am offended by your "home of the confused cast member" characterization.

There are guidelines as to the dress of guests entering the parks and any questionable costumes may be reviewed by either Security, the CM at the turnstile, area Coordinators or the area Duty Manager.

Also, I am on this board pretty regularly and try to answer some questions that pertain to the areas of work that I am trained and work in. When succeeding posts imply that I don't know what I am talking about (I seldom indicate that I am a working CM), I don't go back and post "Intercot, home of the confused internet forum poster".

That's OK, I'll just quit posting and lurk here , so as to be sure and not "confuse" anyone.

BraddyB
06-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Not taking sides here, but I dont think the comment was a direct shot at you. I think it was more of how people interpret the rules. What might be offensive to a 55 year old CM might be funny to a 22 year old CM.

r4kids
06-05-2010, 07:18 PM
We love MNSSHP! There are always people dressed up with and without masks, face paint, etc and I have yet to see anyone turned away. It is true as a previous poster mentioned, free face painting and they do a GREAT job!! Have fun!!

CaptSmee
06-05-2010, 09:34 PM
thanks for contacting Disney and letting us know what they said! have fun! awesome looking costume!

Pagan
06-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Been busy and haven't been on the board in awhile...just came back to check and inform.

I've called NUMEROUS times and spoken to many different people, and all have said the face makeup is allowed. I explained thoroughly what I was wearing and who I was going to be. I even sent the link to the costume to a few.

ALL have said it will be fine. One even commented - when I asked if it would be considered scary - "No, Gene is like Ozzy now, thanks to his show he's become harmless." LOL

So the costume and tickets have been purchased, the Caribbean Beach resort booked, and KISS will invade the Magic Kingdom on the 25th. :rocker:

Pirate Granny, say hi if you see me. :D

06-23-2010, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=r4kids;2063190I have yet to see anyone turned away. [/QUOTE]

We did turn away a lady (female) last year that got off the bus wearing a bikini bottom and 2 coconuts, only.

Gusgus
06-23-2010, 04:38 PM
ALL have said it will be fine. One even commented - when I asked if it would be considered scary - "No, Gene is like Ozzy now, thanks to his show he's become harmless." LOL

Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley are currently in a commercial on TV selling Cherry Dr. Pepper (Soda pop). He's mainstream for sure.

BugeyedMuggy
06-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Love your costume! Have a great time and no worries.

Pagan
09-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Just got back yesterday....had a BLAST at MNSSHP. Had absolutely no problem getting in the park with my costume, although at first a cast member approached me and said I couldn't take photos with anyone due to some legal nonsense. I told him to get me a superior to talk to, and the guy said photos were fine but don't sign any autographs! LOL!

Good thing they let us take photos, because I couldn't walk more than 20 seconds without someone asking to take a pic. It wasn't overly crowded, the weather was great, and it was an epic night! Couldn't have had more fun! Here's a couple of pics!

Gene goes to Disney (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/Disney%202010/275.jpg)
Mickey & Minnie turn metal! (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/Disney%202010/294.jpg)
Of course Gene needs to ride a Doom Buggy (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/Disney%202010/277.jpg)
Hunny Pot Gene (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/Disney%202010/284.jpg)
Gene & Genie (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/Disney%202010/295.jpg)

Stu29573
09-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Those are great pics! I'm glad you had a good time. Now time to start thinking about next year...

brivers222
09-27-2010, 12:19 PM
Keep your tongue inside the ride at all times and you should be golden...

in all seriousness though, I am on the fence on this one. His costume can be a bit freaky to people/kids that have know idea who or what kiss even is.

IDK, if you ask them and the CM's say its fine, then can you really say no?

BTW.... The costume looks awesome!! Great job

BigRedDad
09-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Kids should know who it is by now. Between the reality show and the new Dr. Pepper commercials, Kiss is coming back. Now, if he tried to squeeze into one of the "small people" size versions from the commercials, there might have been an issue.

Pagan
09-27-2010, 12:33 PM
in all seriousness though, I am on the fence on this one. His costume can be a bit freaky to people/kids that have know idea who or what kiss even is.
Actually...believe it or not kids were lining up for pix with me. Cast members all were throwing the horns up at me, and performers during the parade actually broke character to come up and say something! DW told me I was going to be on a million Facebook pages this week. LOL

Gene does Dr. Pepper commercials now...I'm starting to think the only people who don't know who he is are a few tribes in the Congo with no television. ;)

I AM amazed that a woman who came dressed as a pregnant Snow White was able to make it through the gates though. She actually was pregnant, and on the belly of her costume had "Dwarf #8" written. Funny if you ask me, but I'm still stunned she was allowed in.

brivers222
09-27-2010, 01:25 PM
lol thats awesome!

My fiancee got me hooked on his Family Jewels show... constantly DVRing it now :thumbsup:

That snow white is crazy, if she could get in you were fine by a long shot ;)

Pagan
09-27-2010, 01:41 PM
That snow white is crazy, if she could get in you were fine by a long shot ;)
Of course...I had to take a pic with her. :P

Dwarf #8 on the way (http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y179/Blazeland/Disney%202010/286.jpg)

Kathy Jetson
09-28-2010, 11:49 PM
I love your pics!:mickey:

Pagan
09-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Why thank you. :)

crazeedizneefinatic
09-29-2010, 04:55 PM
you were pretty popular that night!...my hubby was one of the people to stop you to take a picture with you coming out of fantasyland...he is a HUGE KISS fan...his buddy is "Paul" for the band Mr. Speed...I am not sure how to post a link to the photo can anyone inform...btw great costume!

Christine
09-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Oh my goodness! I saw you too! Your costume was great! You had people lining up to take photos with you!

I saw the pregnant Snow White too!

Did you see the precious family where the mom was little bo peep, and all of her family had white tshirts COVERED in cotton balls as her sheep---except the teenage boy whose shirt and cotton balls were BLACK! So cute!!

Glad you had a wonderful time!

Pagan
09-29-2010, 05:28 PM
you were pretty popular that night!...my hubby was one of the people to stop you to take a picture with you coming out of fantasyland...he is a HUGE KISS fan...his buddy is "Paul" for the band Mr. Speed...I am not sure how to post a link to the photo can anyone inform...btw great costume!
I remember him! Could you send me the pic I took with him? I'd love to see it! LOL!

Oh my goodness! I saw you too! Your costume was great! You had people lining up to take photos with you!

I saw the pregnant Snow White too!

Did you see the precious family where the mom was little bo peep, and all of her family had white tshirts COVERED in cotton balls as her sheep---except the teenage boy whose shirt and cotton balls were BLACK! So cute!!

Glad you had a wonderful time!
Yes I saw them! They were awesome! There was another family who the father was Angus Young from AC/DC, the mother was Slash from Guns N' Roses, and their two kids were Ozzy and Gene Simmons! The little Gene refused to take a pic with me! LOL

I also saw a couple where the woman was the Evil Queen from Snow White and the man was the magic mirror.

There were some awesome costumes that night...and yes, I had a blast. "Gene" might have to return next year. ;)

gueli
09-30-2010, 10:43 AM
NICE.

Big fan, big fan...:thumbsup:

Pics are GREAT !!!

Ian
09-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Your costume was awesome! You looked great!

But man that Aladdin and Jasmine ... yikes!! They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel these days, aren't they?? :ill:

Pagan
09-30-2010, 01:28 PM
NICE.

Big fan, big fan...:thumbsup:

Pics are GREAT !!!
Thanks bro!

Your costume was awesome! You looked great!

But man that Aladdin and Jasmine ... yikes!! They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel these days, aren't they?? :ill:
I know...what were they thinking? Aladdin needs to look like John Stamos, not Crispin Glover! :razz:

Joannelet
09-30-2010, 01:40 PM
OMG this is GREAT!!! You did a great job on the makeup!!!!
Love it!
That family that someone described as the sheep family sounded sooo cute!!!
The lady with Dwarf #8 was a cute costume too. :) Very creative people out there. It's so fun to see what other people are wearing.
I love halloween!

disneymom2000
09-30-2010, 06:27 PM
As a CM who has worked the turnstiles (gate as you call it) for a LOT of the parties, I am offended by your "home of the confused cast member" characterization.

There are guidelines as to the dress of guests entering the parks and any questionable costumes may be reviewed by either Security, the CM at the turnstile, area Coordinators or the area Duty Manager.

Also, I am on this board pretty regularly and try to answer some questions that pertain to the areas of work that I am trained and work in. When succeeding posts imply that I don't know what I am talking about (I seldom indicate that I am a working CM), I don't go back and post "Intercot, home of the confused internet forum poster".

That's OK, I'll just quit posting and lurk here , so as to be sure and not "confuse" anyone.

Please don't take offense. I think people just get frustrated by some CM's following the rules like you do and some who tend to overlook other things so as not to be confrontational. We really appreciate all your input on the boards because you have experience and see things firsthand.

brivers222
10-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I know...what were they thinking? Aladdin needs to look like John Stamos, not Crispin Glover! :razz:

I was thinking he looked liked a young Craig Fergison (from the drew carey days)

Young@Heart
10-07-2010, 09:35 AM
Wow! Your costume was amazing! You must have had a blast. Thanks for sharing the photos :mickey:

Disney Doll
10-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Awesome costume! Thoroughly enjoyed the pics!!