PDA

View Full Version : military ticket question

GoofysGirl
05-17-2010, 11:06 PM
We will be at WDW in June. My sister in law is a military wife & is getting my family of 5 the $99 military tickets. She just got a new job & won't be able to join us for our vacation. Can she purchase & activate the military tickets for us without actually having a ticket herself? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks:mickey:

05-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Copied this from the ticketing rules:

"Tickets are not valid until activated at the main entrance theme park ticket windows. Valid military identification will be required to be presented by the service or National Guard member or Reservist (or their spouse) for all ticket transactions (including to activate tickets at the main entrance theme park ticket windows). See your military base ticket office or click here for details. All parties must be present when purchasing or activating tickets at main entrance theme park ticket windows".

I know that last year the military personnel had to be present with their ID to validate the tickets. Sounds like the same thing this year.

buzznwoodysmom
05-18-2010, 10:50 AM
We used the military tickets last year and from everything I read the military person has to be present to activate the tickets. If the military person is not available, I believe a dependant (spouse, or maybe even child--not sure about a child) with a military dependant ID can activate the tickets. We were going to return this year without my husband, he's in Iraq at the moment, and I called and was told that I could activate our tickets as long as I had a current military dependant ID card. I don't think you'll be able to use these tickets, unless your SIL lives close enough to WDW to meet you at one of the parks to activate the tickets. Unless there is another way we had to go to a will call window at one of the parks with the tickets and the ID to have them activated. I don't believe this can be done until you are at WDW.

greengeen
05-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Those tickets are meant for military and dependants. You can't cheat the system.

wdwfansince75
05-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Actually, according to SoG's website, From January 3, 2010 to *August 31, 2010, Active and Retired U.S. Military, including members of the U.S. Coast Guard and active members of the National Guard or Reservists, may purchase 4-Day Walt Disney World Armed Forces Salute Tickets for themselves and up to five (5) family members and/or friends for $99.

diz_girl
05-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Even though you're not eligible for the military tickets, your SIL can still get you discounted tickets (about 5-10%) from their MWR office on base. That might save you about $15-20 per person per ticket. In 2008 (before the August increase) we paid $415 for 10-day no-expiring hoppers (no water park option) from MWR. Those same tickets would have cost $450 elsewhere, so we saved $35 per person over buying them when we checked into our resort.

CleveRocks
05-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Actually, according to SoG's website, From January 3, 2010 to *August 31, 2010, Active and Retired U.S. Military, including members of the U.S. Coast Guard and active members of the National Guard or Reservists, may purchase 4-Day Walt Disney World Armed Forces Salute Tickets for themselves and up to five (5) family members and/or friends for $99.

The important word in your quote is AND. The military member AND up to 5 family members and friends. Not OR, but AND. It doesn't say buy for self OR for family, but buy for self AND family.

buzznwoodysmom
05-18-2010, 04:22 PM
The important word in your quote is AND. The military member AND up to 5 family members and friends. Not OR, but AND. It doesn't say buy for self OR for family, but buy for self AND family.

It does say AND, but I've called and have been told that if the military member is away on duty that his/her family can still take advantage of this offer without that military person. However, a dependant, with current military dependant ID needs to be present to activate the tickets.

GoofysGirl
05-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Greengeen - DEFINITELY NOT trying to cheat the system!!!!! My SIL is a military spouse and was/is going with us on our vacation. She was recently offered a new job and wasn't sure she was going to be able to make the entire vacation. She has already purchased the tickets for us to use and wanted to make sure as long as she was there to activate them for us that we could use them even if she wasn't able to be there for the whole trip. They told her on base that the active duty person OR spouse could purchase and activate tickets for family and/or friends. Don't really have to explain myself to anyone, but thought I would out of courtesy! Thanks to everyone else for all of the info :mickey:

BrerGnat
05-19-2010, 04:46 PM
She has already purchased the tickets for us to use and wanted to make sure as long as she was there to activate them for us that we could use them even if she wasn't able to be there for the whole trip. They told her on base that the active duty person OR spouse could purchase and activate tickets for family and/or friends.

You'll be all good then. As long as she is there initially to activate the tickets, you can continue to use them without her present if she has to leave early. And, YES, the Spouse can purchase and activate the tickets. The active duty family member does NOT have to do that.

Have a great trip!

Melanie
05-19-2010, 08:02 PM
She just got a new job & won't be able to join us for our vacation. Can she purchase & activate the military tickets for us without actually having a ticket herself?

Greengeen - DEFINITELY NOT trying to cheat the system!!!!! My SIL is a military spouse and was/is going with us on our vacation.

Just to be clear and fair to those answering, your answer did change from one post to the next.

From personal experience, I am the dependent of an active duty service member, and I have purchased these tickets for family and I'm the only one (not my DH, the active duty member) who had to be present to activate. But I(with the dependent ID) had to be there.

GoofysGirl
05-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Melanears - I guess I just wasn't clear on my first post. My SIL will be there to activate the tickets, we just don't know if she will be able to stay with us on the entire trip. I didn't mean to cause such an issue - just trying to find out the correct information. I appreciate all of the answers and information, but will definitely be sure to be 100% clear next time if I post a question!!:mickey: