PDA

View Full Version : Illuminations

MickeyFanKY
05-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Where do you watch Illuminations in Epcot?

In the past I have watched from the outdoor cantina in Mexico, but it is closed :( I don't really want to eat at the Rose & Crown, so I'm looking for other suggestions.

Thanks!!!

brownie
05-17-2010, 12:13 PM
We've watched it from Norway and China, but I think the best place to see it is grabbing a spot near Showcase Plaza.

Strmchsr
05-17-2010, 12:53 PM
There's not a bad spot to see it. Just check which direction the wind is blowing and make sure you're on the side with the wind at your back, not blowing into you. That'll keep you free from smoke issues.

Sassagoula Todd 2
05-17-2010, 01:28 PM
We ate at the Rose & Crown Friday night and had a table outside. That was the best dinner we had all week, I was so suprised! The tables give you a perfect view and you can have a drink or two and relax if you want too!

Don't count it out if you've never tried it, fantastic!

Of course my 8 year old wanted to go hit the rides since it was a EMH at EPCOT....so we got up and left...at 8:45...can you believe it?

5MemphisTiggers
05-17-2010, 02:48 PM
The first time we saw it we watched from the Showcase Plaza. I believe the show is designed to be viewed from here (of course, there is hardly a bad spot to watch it). If I remember correctly, we got there about an hour ahead of time and got a seat right on the rope. The wind was wrong that night, so they didn't drop the rope and let us go out to the rail, but it was still fantastic. Long wait, but worth it.

We've also watched it from Mexico (just past the cantina) and from Germany (just past the boat dock and towards Italy. There is a little cluster of trees fenced off with a walkway between it and the lagoon. We sat on the rail by the trees, and (thankfully) the folks in front of us sat on the ground. This spot was great for us. There's not a lot of room between the lagoon and the trees, so not too many people can get in front of you.

MikeyP
05-27-2010, 09:05 AM
The Cantina is closed for good? Is anything else in that spot now?

Strmchsr
05-27-2010, 09:11 AM
The Cantina is closed for good? Is anything else in that spot now?

They are completely redoing the Cantina. There will be a brand new restaurant in front of Mexico this fall.

PopPhan
05-27-2010, 09:51 AM
There's not a bad spot to see it. Just check which direction the wind is blowing and make sure you're on the side with the wind at your back, not blowing into you. That'll keep you free from smoke issues.

And ash! We were at Rose & Crown last September and the breeze blew all the ash fallout right on me!! DW was under the awning, so didn't get soot covered, but I looked like Bert after sweeping a chimney!! :D

Also, we had a good vantage point for the show from the tables between the wine cart and crepe cart in front of the France pavilion.

disneykid@hrt
05-27-2010, 09:52 AM
Mexico also used to be our favorite viewing spot. Accompanied by nachos and :marg:, of course.

Since it was closed on our last 2 trips... We watched from Canada, up against the railing. With our yummies and such on one of those bar height round tables. Too bad there weren't chairs for them. It was an excellent view.

But we've also watched from the bridge when your heading back towards Future World from France and have to say that was a great view.

Is there a bad one?? :mickey:

everyonesmadhere
05-27-2010, 02:55 PM
I saw it once in a private area in front of the lagoon, with unlimited food and Mickey mouse...

mjm12000
05-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Germany has a great view

eeyorepoohfan
05-27-2010, 05:37 PM
:thumbsup:We grab a brat in Germany! Then stand near the water between Germany and Italy. We had a great view and the wind was blowing in our favor! :fworks: So no smoke, water or ash in our faces! Plus, I loved the view of having Spaceship Earth in the backdrop of Illuminations! It also made it easy to deal with crowds after the show since we were farther back. It happened to be EMH night and we stayed after the show and rode almost every attraction in those 3 hours! It was great! I think we'll watch the show from here again next time we go (hopefully this December :cloud9: )

kemps@wdw
05-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Any viewing spot is good as long as you scope it out early to avoid anyone standing in front of you. We've pretty well seen it from every angle. All the previous posts are great. Definitely check the wind direction. And try the porch @ the store in Japan. It's up above the crowd a bit.

johnO
05-30-2010, 10:38 AM
last month we watched it from an isolated area between Germany and Africa. It was pretty good there.

Also, when the cantina opens back up, it's supposed to have a much larger seating area.

Tekneek
06-19-2010, 10:59 AM
We love Illuminations, but we usually watch it from whatever spot we happen to be in when the time comes.

Fastpasssteve
06-19-2010, 02:41 PM
I really like standing in between the two gift shops at the border of Future World and World Showcase. (OK, I love symmetry.) However, I like to be holding a margerita...or two. Or some of that Bellini they serve in Italy.

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-19-2010, 02:49 PM
And ash! We were at Rose & Crown last September and the breeze blew all the ash fallout right on me!! DW was under the awning, so didn't get soot covered, but I looked like Bert after sweeping a chimney!!

We were eating at Rose & Crown during one of our early trips, and my food got covered in ash. They seemed to be used to it, and quickly brought me a new meal :thumbsup:

Gibbs
06-20-2010, 07:00 AM
We've seen Illuminations from many differents spots around World Showcase, but one of the best times was when we did the Breathless Cruise. We boarded a Chris Craft at the Yacht and Beach Club, and took off for the Lagoon. Our captian was great and the view was excellent.

pixiesmimi
06-21-2010, 02:34 PM
We like sitting on the benches in front of England or just to the side of the Cappachino Cart, and once watched from the area down in front of the bridge but people kept getting in front of us and standing so we didn't get to see much. We have watched from Norway also. But the best spot we have ever had is from the balcony in Teppan Edo. We had dinner there and just walked out on the balcony and got a spot. Great view!

Rosemickey68
06-21-2010, 03:13 PM
We have watched illuminations from various spots all over the world showcase. There really isn't a bad spot, unless you get stuck behind some post/pole!
I am rethinking eating at Rose & Crown's for dinner after reading the above posts concerning the ash! LOL

Tekneek
06-21-2010, 03:20 PM
I am rethinking eating at Rose & Crown's for dinner after reading the above posts concerning the ash! LOL

Depending on the direction the wind is blowing, you may get some on you (or problems with smoke at least) anywhere. As to whether you want to be eating at the time, though, is certainly a consideration. :mickey: