PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Ford-long

TiggeRia
05-15-2010, 05:52 PM
I need to vent. I own a 2008 Mercury Mariner that I bought brand new. It is now three years old and has a little over 30,000 miles on it. Last year, I received a letter from Ford stating there was a potential problem with the stem valves, and some 2008 Mariners were problematic. They would check the problem free of charge once, and my stem valves were ok at the time.

Fast forward to this March. My parents, DBF, and I took a road trip (from NJ) to WDW. A week before leaving, I took my vehicle in and asked them to do an oil change and make sure the vehicle was in ok condition to make the drive to and from Florida. I was given two thumbs up, and merrily went on my way. Day 2 of our drive, an hour outside of Orlando, we got a signal saying that there was a loss of tire pressure in the front driver's side tire. Didn't think too much of it. DBF and I changed the tire, and we all made our way to Walmart, who graciously fixed the tire for free. It was a bad stem valve. I didn't think too much of it.

We spend the week at WDW, and DBF and I fly home while my parents drive after spending a few days at my brothers. They had a flat tire (front passenger) in Alabama, and for some reason my mom didn't get a receipt from the repair shop. It was the stem valve again, however he only charged $10 to fix it. Going through Atlanta, they start to rapidly lose air pressure and have to pull over and use the air pump to fill the tire until they can get to a repair place (6 PM Sunday evening...). They found a Firestone open who fixed the valve, and checked the last tire, where the stem valve just snapped off. The cost to repair the last 2 tires was $50, and this time she remembered the receipt.

After they arrived home, I contacted my dealer, who initially told me there was no problem with the stem valves. A few hours later they called back and said, that yes, there is a problem and I should bring in the receipt and they will submit it to Ford for reimbursement. I do that and six weeks passes with no word.

I contacted Ford customer service, who directed me back to the dealer. The service manager looked into the issue, called me back and said apparently Ford isn't offering a reimbursement for this particular "recall" because it's not technically a recall. He said that it isn't considered a safety issue, and that is why the stem valves just weren't automatically changed.

I argued that I asked them to check my car to make sure it was ok to make the trip, and the manager stated that they are specifically told by Ford not to check the stem valves unless I specifically ask them to do so. Apparently asking them to make sure my car was safe for a trip wasn't good enough. I would expect, that they would check all aspects of my vehicle when I ask them to, but that is not the case.

I have been in contact with Ford corporate customer service several times, to no avail. I have since filed complaint with the NTSB, because I do not see how this is not a safety issue.

Fast forward again to this week. I got notice a few weeks ago that there is currently a recall regarding transmission fluid leaking that needed to be repaired by August. In the last week, I have noticed fluid in my driveway (initially thought to be oil from DBF's car) and then my transmission began slipping. I called my dealer's service and the only date they had open was Friday. I dropped my car off Friday night and stayed with my parents so they could take me to work. I didn't hear from Ford by 3 PM Friday, so I called the dealer and they said that my car was indeed leaking fluid caused by the crack of something or other that was related to their recall. They wouldn't be able to repair it until at least Monday, and that the car was not safe to drive.

I asked for a rental/loaner car because I need to get to and from work, and they replied that they don't have any and I should contact Ford corporate customer service. I spent an hour on the phone with them yesterday, speaking to several "supervisors" who all said basically that I was out of luck. It was not their policy to provide rentals when cars are in for repair.

I am out of a car for a minimum of four days because of a problem that is Ford's, not mine. I did not create the problem, they did. Is it too much to ask for a rental until they repair my vehicle? I am currently relying of friends and family to get me around over the next several days, but it is an inconvenience for them as well.

I was angry about the lack of reimbursement and lack of concern over the safety of the tires, and now I am doubly angry that Ford has left me completely carless, while they fix their problem. Their customer service seems to be absolutely appalling. Is there any type of recourse out there, or am I as they said out of luck???

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-15-2010, 07:49 PM
TiggerRia,

As an employee of Ford, I am sorry for your troubles with your Mariner. If you send me your contact info, I will try to see what I can do from the union side. Not promising anything, but I will try.

Georgesgirl1
05-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Sorry you are having to deal with this.
My husband works as a tech at an independent Mercedes Benz shop, and they always offer rental cars when they need to keep your car for longer than you want to wait. He said when he worked at Honda they would reimburse for a rental car if you needed one.
My parents own a Ford and have had a lot of problems with the dealership. My parents alwasy take their cars in for every scheduled service, recall, etc. but DH has found several obvious and major problems with their truck days after it has been serviced!
I hope everything works out.

Ed
05-15-2010, 10:33 PM
Kinda lends some credence to the old joke ~~

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Sorry you're having these problems. Just stay on them; the squeaky wheel does sometimes get the most grease.

Genie1953
05-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Sorry for all the trouble you are having with Ford. We have always been GM people but in 2006 we purchased a 2007 Ford Freestyle Limited....loved the car but then decided we wanted to downsize so looked at the Ford Escape.
We purchased a 2009 Escape Limited 4x4 last summer and also purchased the extended warranty which also provides a rental car for as long as needed. I think without the warranty we had to be without a car for 24 hours before we would have gotten a rental. We couldn't be happier with service at Ford.
About a month after we purchased our car we were coming up through Oklahoma on our way home from Texas. A semi-truck was passing us and kicked out a piece of concrete which hit the side of our front passenger tire ripping a hole in it....it was all I could to keep control of the car and get pulled over into the median. Luckily a highway patrol was right behind us and immediately helped my husband put the little temporary tire on...and then they pointed out that the nearest Ford dealership was just across the highway on an access road in case we wanted to go see them. As we pulled into the parking lot of the Ford dealership we were met by the service manager who was walking out to meet us. They had seen us on the highway and were expecting us. These kind people kept their service area open an extra hour and replaced our small temporary tire free of charge with a regular sized tire (not a high priced michelin that was on it before but at least it would be safer for getting us home to Kansas). They didn't charge us a dime for doing this for us. Then when we got to Kansas City we stopped off at our Ford dealership to see what they had to say. They told us they had a tire but would need to get a new rim brought in and said for us to bring the car back in the morning. We did this and they replaced the tire and the rim...of course our car insurance took care of that service repair.
There was one other time where we left it overnight to have routine maintenance done on it and they gave us a rental car for overnight use...but I think that was only because we had the extended warranty on it. Anyway we have had nothing but good luck with the 3 Ford dealers we have dealt with in the last 5 years. Hopefully you will have better luck in the future.

Melanie
05-16-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm a Ford diehard, and have had a few iffy situations with some dealers, but overall we're happy Ford drivers. We bought a brand new Taurus X last year, and just a few weeks ago had to have the transmission replaced (under warranty). Unfortunately it happens. We also purchased an extended warranty, but we didn't purchase the option for rentals during repairs, so we didn't expect one. Best thing is, we've got a new transmission that runs great!

I think a bad experience can happen with any brand/dealership. I'm sorry you're having difficulties. :(

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Here are a few responses I have received since I posted your message on the Ford worker boards I visit:

First of all Thank You for buying a Ford. The items you are talking about seem to be dealer issues. I am not sure why the dealer did not check some of the tsb's before your big road trip. The fluid issue and being in the shop for a few days maybe the dealer should work with you on getting a loaner. Or at least a really discounted rental car. I would follow the chain of command in the dealer before jumping right to customer service at ford. Start with your salesman he can point you in the right direction on who to talk to and get something done.

Couple questions and points -

Is the vehicle out of warranty - bought new as an '08 would be sometime in '07. Were the Mariner's on lots by May of '07.

Does the customer have an ESP? Rental cars are covered for up to 10 days if you have an ESP. Ford also has a RentalCare policy.

Where does the customer service their vehicle? Dealers have limited transportation assistance funds - but they can only be used on warrantable repairs. I haven't looked up the tranny leak details, but I'd imagine it is coverred under the 5/60 powertrain coverage. If the customer has been loyal to Jiffy Lube with their dollars, but now wants the dealer to step up when on Ford's dime, I understand the reluctance.

Pulling an OASIS would not pull up a TSB. They only appear if the advisor or technician puts in symptom codes in the system. If the customer did not mention a tire issue, the TSB would not pop. Valve stems are not directly called out on the multi-point inspection.

As for the customer, their best bet is to be very friendly to the dealer and ask about any loaner programs.

TiggeRia
05-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Here are a few responses I have received since I posted your message on the Ford worker boards I visit:

First of all Thank You for buying a Ford. The items you are talking about seem to be dealer issues. I am not sure why the dealer did not check some of the tsb's before your big road trip. The fluid issue and being in the shop for a few days maybe the dealer should work with you on getting a loaner. Or at least a really discounted rental car. I would follow the chain of command in the dealer before jumping right to customer service at ford. Start with your salesman he can point you in the right direction on who to talk to and get something done.

Couple questions and points -

Is the vehicle out of warranty - bought new as an '08 would be sometime in '07. Were the Mariner's on lots by May of '07.

Does the customer have an ESP? Rental cars are covered for up to 10 days if you have an ESP. Ford also has a RentalCare policy.

Where does the customer service their vehicle? Dealers have limited transportation assistance funds - but they can only be used on warrantable repairs. I haven't looked up the tranny leak details, but I'd imagine it is coverred under the 5/60 powertrain coverage. If the customer has been loyal to Jiffy Lube with their dollars, but now wants the dealer to step up when on Ford's dime, I understand the reluctance.

Pulling an OASIS would not pull up a TSB. They only appear if the advisor or technician puts in symptom codes in the system. If the customer did not mention a tire issue, the TSB would not pop. Valve stems are not directly called out on the multi-point inspection.

As for the customer, their best bet is to be very friendly to the dealer and ask about any loaner programs.

Thanks for your reply! I bought the vehicle on May 11, 2007, so I literally just came up on my 3 years. I actually think May 11 was the day I called the dealer about the transmission leak. I have taken my car back to the same dealer for every oil change/service. No one else has had any contact with my vehicle, except for the places that had to repair the four tires, seeing as I was out of state at the time.

I have no idea regarding the extended warranty-I'd have to look back into my paperwork from when I bought the car. I do know the service center told me they have no loaner/rental cars but Ford customer service could authorize one, however customer service denied that claim.

I've had most of the weekend to cool down, and while I'm still not happy I'm down a car for four days, I should have it back by tomorrow. My biggest issue now is getting my $60 back for the repairs to the tires. Even if Ford refuses to refund the money, couldn't the dealer do so? Is it worth it to press the issue with them?

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
05-16-2010, 10:51 PM
I would call the dealer and ask for the owner. You may not get your $60 back, but I bet you could maybe get a free oil change or two. Let me know what happens. I will be happy to email them as well. I know you are happy with your negative experience with Ford, but hopefully we can earn your business again sometime.