PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with fitness Cycling...what do I NEED?

BrerGnat
05-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Other than a good bike, of course (I'm considering a Trek 7.3fx WSD).

When I go to the bike shop to get all my "gear", I don't want to be suckered into buying stuff I don't need.

I will be doing fairly short rides for fitness (maybe 15 miles tops for starting) and will be leisure riding with my kids on trails.

I figure I need the following:
-helmet (duh)
-quick bike repair kit/hand pump
-bike lock
-hydration system (plan to get a camelbak pack)

Do I NEED anything else?

Scar
05-15-2010, 03:02 PM
Get clipless pedals and shoes. I never understood the term "clipless", really they're "clip-in".

Pants with padding in the right place.

Fingerless gloves.

BrerGnat
05-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Get clipless pedals and shoes. I never understood the term "clipless", really they're "clip-in".

Fingerless gloves.

Thanks for the input! I was iffy on the gloves and pants/shorts. I guess getting a couple pairs of pants would be good for the fitness rides. Ditto on the gloves.

I do NOT want clipless pedals/shoes. Since I will often use this bike to ride with my kids (who JUST started riding two wheels, they are 4 and 5), we will ride short distances and mostly to playgrounds, where I would much rather be wearing regular shoes.

I will likely buy a pair of cycling shoes, since I have read that sneakers are not really good for distance rides. But, I will mostly wear regular sneakers for the rides with the kids. Don't want to have to deal with switching pedals every time.

Scar
05-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Yea, if you're only riding for a half hour or 45 mins, you don't really need pants or gloves. But trust me, if you're going to ride for an hour or two, you need gloves and pants.

Since you're not getting clipless, at least get toe clips. Another option is to get mountain bike clipless pedals. They are made for shoes that have the cleat recessed into a comfortable shoe (mountain bikers have to get off the bike and walk sometimes.)

Scar
05-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Oh, one more very important thing... get "fitted" for your bike. You will be put on a stationary trainer and the person (preferably the owner of the shop) will make sure everything fits to your size.

garymacd
05-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Old joke:

"Knock, knock!"

"Who's there?"

"Isabelle!"

"Isabelle who?"

"Isabelle necessary on a bike?"

YES IT IS!

Depending on when and where you intend to ride, and different areas have different laws, but a signalling device is quite often a requirement (although, you would think bike stores would push it more) as are 360 degree reflectors and front and rear lights.

Most bikes come with front, rear, and wheel reflectors. But that doesn't stop the need for lights. Get some good quality LED lights. They are so bright and last a long time on a single charge or new batteries. You really want to be seen.

I also have high visibility reflective straps for around my ankles since I ride early in the mornings to or from work.

You will probably want a patch kit and a set of tire levers. A good quality set shouldn't cost more than about $5.

I saw recently a new inflation system using CO2 cartridges. I don't know if you have ever tried to pump up tires to 100 psi (I don't know if your tires go up that high - mine do), but it isn't easy. Forty to 60 psi will get you out of a bind, but road tires ride better and faster at the higher pressures.

You don't need to buy everything right away. I have taken some time to get all my repair tools for the road. The latest was a chain tool and quick link. Guess why. You shouldn't need this right away, but keep it in mind as your bike ages.

Good luck and safe riding! But don't overdo it to start.

brownie
05-17-2010, 12:06 PM
Go with toe clips. Even if you're planning on going clipless, it helps to transition into it by learning to ride with toe clips first. I've never used the clipless, but I've ridden with guys who went from a standard pedal to the clipless ones and they had a lot of trouble making that transition.

Get the gloves and the bike shorts (and pants if you'll be riding in cooler weather.) The shorts have a chamois pad that not only provides padding but also soaks up sweat. The gloves will help to keep your hands from getting cut up if you take a spill; I'd wear them even on short rides.

For the patch kit, get the patches that have glue on them; they're a lot easier to work with. A small multi-tool made for bikes in addition to the tire levers would be good. Make sure your air pump supports both Presta and Schraeder valves. To hold the tools, patch kit, and tire levers, you'll want a small seat bag. If the bag has room, I'd carry a spare tube for your bike.

You'll probably need to get a water bottle holder for the bike; I'd recommend getting two especially if you plan on making longer rides. You won't necessarily want to use a Camelbak every time.

I would get a good pair of polycarbonate sunglasses. If you want to splurge, you can get a pair that lets you switch out the lenses (clear, amber, etc.). The sunglasses will protect your eyes from flying objects like rocks, especially if you're riding near a road.

c&d
05-18-2010, 10:10 AM
Definitely getting your biked fitted is key. It makes riding so much more comfortable.

I would also get the pants even if you're riding only for a short time. Those little short trips will add up and you could be saddle sore.

I would also suggest a mirror.

RalsFam
05-26-2010, 05:56 PM
+1 on the chamois. Also get a good seat for the bike when you get fitted. They are the narrow, harder seats with the center cut out, Alleviating the pinching of various veins etc in the crotch.
Always wear your helmet. It saves your noggin and sets a good example for the kids. Good luck, riding bikes with the family is a blast!!!

brownie
05-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Also get a good seat for the bike when you get fitted. They are the narrow, harder seats with the center cut out, Alleviating the pinching of various veins etc in the crotch.

Good call on the seat; I forgot to mention that. People think that the big, fluffy seats are better. It's amazing how much more comfortable the narrow, hard seats with the cut out are, especially on longer rides.

A Big Kid
05-28-2010, 08:50 AM

Fingerless gloves.

Thats is beacuse the straps that go over your feet/shoes used to be called clips. Now that hte pedals dont have the straps - or clips - they became clipless.

At any rate,

Essentials include:
Helmet
Gloves
Glasses (bugs in the eyes aint cool!)
Padded shorts
Water bottles or hydration pack
Tube/inflator (be it a hand pump or a CO2 system.) I'd have a floor pump at the house as well.