PDA

View Full Version : "it's a small world" Scheduled for Refurbishment

brownie
05-14-2010, 05:46 PM
According to disneyworld.com, "it's a small world" is scheduled for refurbishment from August 1, 2010 to October 22, 2010.

seanyred
05-14-2010, 06:10 PM
That seems like a long time for a basic refurb, considering it had a major refurb in 2004. Wonder if they are adding the characters like they did at DL.

Madame Leona
05-14-2010, 06:11 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO! Sorry about that. I'm so sad my little one LOVES that ride.

Disney4us2
05-14-2010, 06:42 PM
I saw that also on the Disney website. Hoping to be there at that time, luckly it is not a must do for us.

Pop Centurion
05-14-2010, 06:43 PM
I heard a rumor about the character additions. I'm not familiar with the DL version so I'll have to search a vid on the tube. But I think they should leave it alone. It's a classic and has remained relevant without adding Disney characters. So why now? Why not focus on new attractions to compete with Harry Potter rather than cheap gimmicks.

PopPhan
05-14-2010, 06:43 PM
I wonder if that has anything to do with the construction going on behind the building for the Toontown/Fantasyland rehab.

Strmchsr
05-14-2010, 06:52 PM
I wonder if that has anything to do with the construction going on behind the building for the Toontown/Fantasyland rehab.

I don't know for sure, but that seems more likely. Having just done the huge change in 2004 I can't see them doing another big addition 6 years later. I'm sure it's something to do with the Fantasyland Forest project or sometimes it just takes a while to clean everything up and get it back to Disney standards. I would think if they were doing additions it would take a lot longer than 7-8 weeks.

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Maybe they'll do something with putting some sort of tapestry on the ceiling to cover up those bare ceiling tiles.

brad192
05-14-2010, 08:22 PM
The first ride I ever experienced at WDW was IASW (Xmas day, 1971). That being said...

Love it or hate it, this is classic Disney & should NOT be messed with. IMHO, what they did in DL is a travesty and an insult to Walt. I don't mind a refurb/rehab/enhancement, but they had better keep the original spirit & feel of the attraction or I ( and a LOT of other IASW fans) will certainly let them know.

Bottom line - Don't mess with my first WDW experience!:mickey:

pianobabe
05-14-2010, 09:07 PM
We are going down in September and I hate it will be closed. IASW always reminds me of my brother, because he couldn't stand the song. I would always call him while I was on it just so he could hear his "favorite" song.

BrerGnat
05-14-2010, 09:14 PM
IMHO, what they did in DL is a travesty and an insult to Walt.

Have you ridden the new DL version? IMO (and as a long time Disney parks veteran), I have to respectfully disagree with you.

What they did at DL was brilliant, subtle, and relevant. They even consulted Mary Blair, who I believe, designed the Disney "character" dolls and costumes. The additions are seamless and in NO way take away from the spirit and feel of the original attraction.

CaptSmee
05-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Have you ridden the new DL version? IMO (and as a long time Disney parks veteran), I have to respectfully disagree with you.

What they did at DL was brilliant, subtle, and relevant. They even consulted Mary Blair, who I believe, designed the Disney "character" dolls and costumes. The additions are seamless and in NO way take away from the spirit and feel of the original attraction.

not a big small world fan but rode the Disneyland version last fall & thought it was much better than the WDW version, minus the ending room which is better at WDW. also the openness of the water is nicer in WDW as well instead of being in a trough

Briansmom
05-14-2010, 09:53 PM
This makes me just wanna cry...... :cry:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Bummer, it will be closed when I'm there.

DisneyLuver91
05-14-2010, 10:27 PM
I'm grouchy now. :mad: This is ABSURD. IASW was just down for a refurb a year or so ago! Grrr... My favorite ride won't be open when I'm there.... Harumph.

brownie
05-14-2010, 10:52 PM
They even consulted Mary Blair, who I believe, designed the Disney "character" dolls and costumes.

Mary Blair died in 1978.

BrerGnat
05-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Mary Blair died in 1978.

I think they used a Ouija board. ;).

I remember reading that someone who helped with the original costumes was consulted. Not Mary Blair; my mistake.

Polynesian Dweller
05-14-2010, 11:07 PM
Mary Blair died in 1978.

Well, ITASW opened at the 1964 World's Fair and at the conclusion of the fair it was relocated to DL. It opened in DL in 1966. Mary Blair was still around and was consulted then.

It was installed in 1971 at WDW and she had a role in that. My understanding is that her original drawings are referred to when they plan refurbs.

Fastpasssteve
05-15-2010, 01:57 AM
I get to WDW on Oct. 21, 2010. Thank goodness my first day is an EPCOT day! I am excited to see what changes are made. I'll give a report following its first day open after the refurb.

jenperich
05-15-2010, 02:25 AM
This makes me SO sad! This is my favorite ride and we'll be there at that time. I could ride it over and over and over again. My husband will be happy though. :crying:

brownie
05-15-2010, 08:13 AM
Well, ITASW opened at the 1964 World's Fair and at the conclusion of the fair it was relocated to DL. It opened in DL in 1966. Mary Blair was still around and was consulted then.

It was installed in 1971 at WDW and she had a role in that. My understanding is that her original drawings are referred to when they plan refurbs.

Never said she wasn't involved in "it's a small world"; she could not have been consulted in person for the most recent Disneyland refurbishment which is what the original comment referred to.

jensantuit
05-15-2010, 08:27 AM
My boys will be so upset when we go down in August and hear IASW will be closed, but little do they know we are surprising them with a trip in December. :mickey:

LauraByTheSea
05-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Well great, I'll be there then... My favorite ride, too...

Giggy
05-15-2010, 06:48 PM
:(

Looks like it will be closed for our trip this year then, it was also closed when we went last time in 2004. Our visit before that was 2001 so it's been 9 years already!

Hopefully as a trade they'll let us keep Toontown a bit longer. ;)

Melanie
05-15-2010, 10:51 PM
I'd love if they install the characters. I've ridden the Hong Kong version, which opened originally with the characters, and it's amazing. Very subtle and fitting. Definitely not 'in your face' at all.

gollybass
05-16-2010, 02:33 AM
ugh, i go to disneyland in jan last year, its closed, i go to disney world this year, its closed!

Strmchsr
05-16-2010, 08:01 AM
FYI, the LA Times said in a blog today that both WDI and WDW have denied that any characters will be added to IASW, though they wouldn't say why a 2 month closure is needed.

dking2002
05-16-2010, 09:18 AM
I really miss this ride when it is not open.

sbcummings
05-16-2010, 09:19 AM
I should not have read this thread, now that song will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day:cool:

kakn7294
05-16-2010, 09:21 AM
I'm bummed! I love Small World - but I'm with Mel and hope they install the characters as well. I guess we'll see when it reopens!

Carol
05-16-2010, 11:35 AM
The character addition to the Disneyland version is AMAZING! I really urge you all to save any judgement until you experience it firsthand.

ugh, i go to disneyland in jan last year, its closed, i go to disney world this year, its closed!
It's closed early January every year to uninstall the Christmas lay-over.

ransam
05-16-2010, 01:49 PM
that's too bad. we are planning a trip from september 8-14 so won't be able to see it.
I told my friends that the only way i would personally plan it is if they would sing along w/ me during the ride...guess the dodged a bullet. ha

Victor Kelly
05-19-2010, 12:14 PM
While I am disappointed it will be closed on our honeymoon trip, we have already talked about another trip in 2 years.

I too cannot fathom the reason behind the closing. The forest cannot be behind IASW because the Haunted Mansion ride structure is behind it. I would prefer not to see another disney character merchandise tie in, since they are everywhere else. The characters of the story are the children of the world.

Polynesian Dweller
05-19-2010, 12:51 PM
I too cannot fathom the reason behind the closing. The forest cannot be behind IASW because the Haunted Mansion ride structure is behind it.

Well, we won't really know what the refurb is about until they announce it but the Fantasyland refurb drawings show that the forest will come right up to the edge of Pinnochio's Village Haus which shares the building with IASW and covering part of the road right behind the NE corner of IASW. The Haunted Mansion is immediately west and north of ISAW is the maintenance access area for both of these. Could be some infrastructure in those areas that need to be moved.

At this time, it could also be going down for things like cleaning and repair of the track which could take some time. Got to drain the water and then completely clean the watercourse while looking for cracks etc. to repair. Just a guess of course but things like that could take that long.

Goofster
05-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Mary Blair died in 1978.

With all respect to Mary Blair...that subtle comment is hillarious. :funny:

Strmchsr
05-19-2010, 03:11 PM
From what I understand talking to a couple of my Imagineer friends this closure is going to be a major overhaul on the load/unload area to fix the backup that always seems to happen there. There will also be doing some infrastructure upgrades and cleaning, but no new figures. The load/unload work is what is requiring the long closure.

Polynesian Dweller
05-19-2010, 04:33 PM
From what I understand talking to a couple of my Imagineer friends this closure is going to be a major overhaul on the load/unload area to fix the backup that always seems to happen there. There will also be doing some infrastructure upgrades and cleaning, but no new figures. The load/unload work is what is requiring the long closure.

Thanks. Always good to get something more definitive. Anything that would improve loading is worth the wait.

CaptainSad
05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
While I am disappointed it will be closed on our honeymoon trip, we have already talked about another trip in 2 years.

I too cannot fathom the reason behind the closing. The forest cannot be behind IASW because the Haunted Mansion ride structure is behind it. I would prefer not to see another disney character merchandise tie in, since they are everywhere else. The characters of the story are the children of the world.

The Haunted Mansion is to the left of IASW. Behind it is a Parking lot with support buildings. I am thinking that they will tear all that down behind so the new "Be our Guest" and Beauty and the Beast area will go in there.

JPL
05-20-2010, 11:39 AM
I have also heard that will be adding the Characters like the did in Disneyland I don't typically ride it any more but this would actually give me a reason when I go in December

darthmacho
05-20-2010, 05:55 PM
:( Major disappointment! It would have been my young one's first experience on this ride. Also, this fast loading water ride is one of our favorite ways to get out of the sun and beat the heat, especially since we're going in August.

kathiep
05-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Us too. Check in August 20th. And although my kids won't be missing out (they usually ride it about 10 times per trip) - they will still be majorly disappointed.

DaParkMan
05-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Maybe they're finally going to follow suit with the other Disney parks around the world and install It's a Small World Holiday as an Xmas season offering here at WDW.

After all, the other 4 parks now offer that overlay, so it's only right for WDW to jump on that bandwagon.

Also, with all the Fantasyland construction going on in the MK (including the upcoming closure of Mickey's Toontown Fair), they do have to come up with ways to give guests incentives to continue visiting the MK, even while the construction is going on.

Briansmom
05-21-2010, 10:11 PM
So, I wonder what the chances are of them opening it up a couple (well, almost three) weeks early....? :pout:

Strmchsr
05-21-2010, 10:23 PM
So, I wonder what the chances are of them opening it up a couple (well, almost three) weeks early....? :pout:

Pretty much none. I don't think I've ever seen them open early on a refurb. They usually don't run too much over, either. You can almost always count on it being on the announced time.

BklynChick
05-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Pretty much none. I don't think I've ever seen them open early on a refurb. They usually don't run too much over, either. You can almost always count on it being on the announced time.

AAARGH! IASW is one of my favorite rides and if these dates stick I will JUST miss it! Please, please, please end a day or so early, just this once...

Melanie
05-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Maybe they're finally going to follow suit with the other Disney parks around the world and install It's a Small World Holiday as an Xmas season offering here at WDW.

Fairly certain that is only Disneyland in California, and it's beautiful by the way, but don't think that's the case here.

DaParkMan
05-22-2010, 05:16 PM
Fairly certain that is only Disneyland in California, and it's beautiful by the way, but don't think that's the case here.

FYI, as I stated in my last post, ALL the other Disney parks around the world now offer It's a Small World Holiday except WDW.

So, that means it's not a DL-only thing. Tokyo Disneyland's version of IaSW started doing the Xmas overlay in 2003, with the Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland incarnations following in their footsteps this past year.

So, that's a major reason why WDW should follow suit and change over their Small World ride for the holidays.

After all, if they can get away with putting SpectroMagic and Wishes on hiatus for the Summer season, they can most certainly get away with giving seasonal overlays to classic attractions.

And I think that by them doing Summer Nighttastic, I've become cautiously optimistic that they might be developing a greater willingness to start doing more new and different seasonal events throughout the year, including improved Xmas season offering line-ups, including bringing back previously-cut offerings like the Country Bear Xmas Show, Lights of Winter, Mickey's Tree-Lighting Treat, etc. and possibly bringing fresh new stuff like It's a Small World Holiday.

Hope that turns out being the case...

Strmchsr
05-23-2010, 08:22 AM
So, that's a major reason why WDW should follow suit and change over their Small World ride for the holidays.

I would like to see it, but I'm not holding my breath. DL (and the other DLs around the world) are seen as more local attractions where folks come multiple times a year. WDW is viewed as a place folks come (at most) once a year, and maybe not that often so they are much more hesitant to chance things (see the HM seasonal overlay which has been a big success at DL, but hasn't come to WDW).

Melanie
05-23-2010, 08:40 AM
FYI, as I stated in my last post, ALL the other Disney parks around the world now offer It's a Small World Holiday except WDW.

Ah well, thanks for the update. We were at Hong Kong Disneyland on Christmas day in '08 and I knew that wasn't the case. And I hope they don't ever bring it to WDW. Why does everything have to be so uniform across the parks?