PDA

View Full Version : Subtle Disney Wedding Ideas

lettripp
05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
My fiance and I are big WDW fans (See Lettripp and Plex's trip or The Trip of a Million Fast Passes in Trip Reports for evidence!). We are getting married next summer and I am interested in finding a subtle way to include our love of Disney in the decor/theme/something!

We are getting married in the church where I grew up and are having the reception in a hall that opens to a massive rose garden and ponds. (The Pond House in West Hartford, CT, for those familiar with the area). We are having a daytime wedding in July. We are leaning towards a summery sort of casual reception (tea length dresses on bridesmaids etc). Although we have picked our photographer, the hall and the church, the rest is still undecided!

Please, feel free to throw out any Disney-esque suggestions you can!

McLiberal8
05-13-2010, 10:56 AM
I always find mickey head sillouettes as the most classic way to include nods to Disney. Kind of like your own 'hidden mickeys'. A few years ago I got some great ceramic plates with small black mickey head sillouettes. I love them! People don't even notice unless they look closely.
Maybe something to that extent?

Mickey'sGirl
05-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Have you considered ordering a set of Garden Ornaments from Disney Shopping (since it will be an outdoor setting by the Rose Garden). I have Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald and Pluto on the cut out between my kitchen and the family room.

My Dad wore a subtle Mickey Mouse cumberband and bowtie when I got married in honour of my love of the Mouse.

If your guests are to be seated for a meal, why not call each table a Disney character instead of assigning it a number? Table 8 could be "Donald" for example.

ginger19
05-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Toast glasses and cake toppers are easy ways to add a little :mickey:

Ms. Mode
05-13-2010, 11:26 AM
A couple at our church played "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes" during the slide show presentation. It was very sweet. :mickey:

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-13-2010, 11:36 AM
We did some Disney-themed stuff too.

We had a Cinderella and Prince Charming cake-topper, Disney-themed invitations (again, they were subtle and didn't scream "DISNEY" at you) and finally, we had our first dance to a great version of "When you Wish Upon a Star".

If I had to do it again, I second the idea of a Mickey tie! :mickey:

Figment104
05-13-2010, 11:48 AM
We got the Mickey and Minnie bride and groom cake topper, but instead of putting it on the cake we had it displayed on the cake table while it was out and then moved to the gift table. Also if you're doing any sort of confetti on the tables you could have it be mickey heads or something to that effect. I like the idea of having a disney song playing during a slide show. Also, my father daughter dance was to "I can Show you the World" from Aladdin since my dad is the one I got my disney love from. I'm sure others will come along with some great ideas! :mickey:

Rosanne
05-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Congratulations!! I am getting married next March and I was trying to do the subtle thing as well... a bit of Disney without being TOO much Disney!

For my wedding, I am wearing a Kirstie Kelly for Disney Bridal gown. Our wedding song is "Promise" - the song they play after Illuminations. I was also thinking of getting mongramed napkins with a silver castle on it. Just subtle little things that if you weren't a Disney fan, you would have no idea...

Michelle15
05-13-2010, 12:09 PM
I got married in "08 and had a Disney Wedding. Our center pieces were Mickey platy fish (these fish have mickey heads on there back ends.) I bought circle bowls and made black mickey ears to put on the top of the bowls. My Aunt made my veil and put swarovski crystals in the shape of mickey heads all over my veil. I also made the bows for the church pews and put a iridescence silhouette mickey head in the middle of each bow. We had the precious moments wearing the mickey ears as our cake topper. We had our champagne flutes made at the MK. My dad surprised us and dressed up in a Mickey costume at the reception. He had a 10 min. song list made with different disney songs and danced with everyone. Oh and for the tables instead of using numbers I used a Disney Character. I have to say it was the best wedding ever! :mickey:

SurferStitch
05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
We had a beautiful Mickey and Minnie cake topper that had teeny LED lights in the lace accents for our 1996 wedding. Still works today! My maid of honor also made a "Just Married" sign for our car with Mickey and Minnie. Since we weren't Disneyphiles yet (our honeymoon was our first trip to WDW), that was all we did.

But, I love the veil idea with Swarovski crystals in the shape of Mickey!

You could also get a glass slipper (can always order one from Disney Merchandising) and nestle it in your bridal table floral display for a subtle and classy nod to Disney.

I don't know what your color scheme is, but Beauty and the Beast centered around a single red rose. I had a single red rose on every table (my color scheme was red, and I carried a bouquet of red roses, so it wasn't a big stretch for me), so that was another touch. Yeah, I know roses aren't extremely original, but they are my favorite!

Congratulations!! Have a magical day! :cloud9:

danicafan
05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
we were married in October 2002 and had a partially Disney themed wedding. I ama disney nut my husband not so much! Our wedding announcements were ordered from invitationconsultants.com and we used the "Mickey Ears" Just checked the website and they are still there. We also used the Mickey/Minnie reception cards that are also listed on that webpage along with that particiular invitation. Our cake topper was a Bride/Groom Mickey and Minnie. Then I had some little Mickey head confetti on the tables. Our reception wasn't until December so we had Poinsettas on the table, but the little bit of Disney touch in that made it just perfect for us!

snowflakegirl
05-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I don't have any ideas to offer, but I did want to say Congratulations and that the Pond House is a great place for a reception!

lettripp
05-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Thank you for all of the good ideas!!!

Fastpasssteve
05-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Often, it's the color, or rather, the subtlety of the color that makes something obvious or classy. Friends of mine made place cards from a single piece of square cardstock folded over, but with the mouse ears cut out with an exacto-knife so that, when folded over to stand on its own, the ears popped up.

Or simply a Mickey Mouse head icon in a low-contrast color...like an ivory icon on a white placecard.

PirateLover
05-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I just got married on the 14th! We had a Mickey and Minnie cake topper, we had the bride and groom mouse ears on display on our gift table, and our first dance was "You've Got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story. We also had a few Disney songs played during cocktail hour/dinner. I went to a wedding once where the favor was a small picture frame featuring Cinderella's carriage. Good luck!

Capt_redshirt
05-23-2010, 07:09 PM
my friend (who works for Disney) got married and wanted to incorporate Disney into his wedding too but couldn't do anything at the church or anything to the reception hall. so he put Disney characters on his wedding cake. If i remember right, he had characters all around the cake and the topper was jack skellington and sally.

mickeys_princess_mom
05-23-2010, 07:50 PM
My daughter used a lot of these ideas in her Disney-themed wedding, and it was so much fun! You might add putting little "pearls" on the cake in hidden Mickeys, and using the Mickey bride's and groom's hats on the sign-in table.
She also used a few snapshots of her at Disneyworld when she was little.

DAKustodial
05-24-2010, 10:25 PM
My wife and I got married in '08 and, since we are both former CMs, we found a bunch of ways to add subtle Disney touches to our reception. We used our favorite attractions as our table names, with the head table being Cinderella Castle (where I proposed). Our first dance was to Billy Joel's version of "When You Wish Upon a Star," when we cut the cake the song we had played was "Zippity Do Da," and we had a bunch of Disney songs played during the cocktail hour and during dinner.

I'm pretty sure we had a few other things that I can't remember at the moment. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and best of luck in the future!

Jeri Lynn
05-25-2010, 06:59 AM
For our 25th wedding anniversary a very good friend who is a cake decorator made us a wedding cake with little mickey heads on it.

They were just subtlely placed on the cake made out of frosting.

RalsFam
05-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the ideas. We are going to renew our vows for our 10 year anniversary. These are great!!!

magicalmom
05-26-2010, 10:39 PM
I second the idea of "Promise" - it's a beautiful song.

How about having the filagree wheel and vine designs from Cinderella's coach on your wedding cake? White sugar glitter on white icing, subtle, but really pretty.

Congratulations - I know it will be wonderful day!

Bethanymouse
06-05-2010, 10:45 PM
We were married in WDW last July and had many disney themes in our reception and ceremony. Our programs had the castle on the cover. I walked down the aisle to When you Wish Upon a Star. Our unity candle said, "And the lived happily ever after". My bouquet had tiny mickey pearls stuck in between some of the flowers.

At the reception, the guests were seated at tables which were names for various disney attractions (we purchased scrapbooking stickers and created table signs- Its a small world, test track, haunted mansion, jungle cruise, etc). Our cake topper was Lenox disney- mickey and minnie in a teacup. We had disney toasting glasses. When the food was served, the servers came out to "Be our Guest". We created a photo guest book album of us in WDW throughout the years.

Good luck, its a lot of fun! Enjoy planning!

DisneyDudet
06-07-2010, 11:09 AM
While I am no where near getting married (I don't have a boyfriend!), I have always had ideas about making a wedding with Disney touches that only those who REALLY were looking would notice (unless I get married at WDW).

Now, I've been thinking about what Disney is to me, and it isn't just Mickey and Minnie. While they are huge, they aren't what I think of first. I think of fairy tales and magical things. So... mine would be mostly centered around that. I like the idea of a glass slipper somewhere, and instrumental Disney songs (they have a cd of Disney wedding music and even sheet music). Some of the older Disney classics have great instrumentals at the beginning of the movies. What first comes to mind is Bambi's "Love is a Song." That can be played as family is being seated, or lighting of the unity candle (if you do that), or at any time.

My first love is the castle. I have a tattoo of the Castle, and so that would be my theme.

If you are more into the Mickey side, then there's PLENTY of fun stuff to do! I like the confetti idea. If you aren't into the shiny, multicolored stuff, they make small di-cuts for scrapbooking in the shape of Mickey heads, so you can make it to match your colors.

I also like the idea of putting small Hidden Mickey's in certain places (centerpieces, decorations, etc). If you get a good seamstress, they may be able to add Hidden Mickey's to your dress, if you choose to.

I know these thoughts are a little scattered, but you've got me thinking!

BTW, I looked at that website for invitations.. I sure hope they have them for a while, because I will be using them for my invitations!

Disneyglamour
06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
I'm like you DisneyDudet! I don't even have a man, but I hope he likes Disney (or tolerates it ;) ) because the wedding is definitely going to have some Disney touches!! All these ideas are fabulous! I hope you guys don't mind me using some of them! :mickey: