PDA

View Full Version : Job interview advice?

TikiGoddess
05-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Hi all,

I have been teaching in the same town for ten years now. Unfortunately, budget woes and scheduling changes have taken my job teaching music from 4 days a week to 1.5 days a week.

I'm really disappointed to be leaving the district. I've really gotten to know the families, the staff, and the students. But it is time to move on.

I have an interview on Friday! I just happened to see the listing when I was helping my student teacher look for jobs. It's at a magnet school in Hartford. It's a small school with about 180 students, grades pre-k to 2. The school was founded in 2006 and has grown one grade each year, finishing with grade 3.

It will be a bit of a change for me but I know I'm ready for it. I'm nervous about the interview tomorrow (last time I interviewed for a job was ten years ago!). I just hope that the school and I are a good fit.

Any advice on how to have a good interview?

Spare pixie dust appreciated too... :)

Kathy

Jeniflower
05-13-2010, 11:26 AM
:pixie::pixie::pixie::pixie:
Remember three things Firstly interviews are all about selling yourself so don't be afraid to tell them how brilliant you are

Secondly listen to the questions. i know it sounds obvious but people tend to answer what they thing the interviewer wants to here and not what was actually asked.

Thirdly use examples from your current post that links both to the questions and the job description.

Finally just be yourself and you'll be fine

heaps of pixie dust and let us know how it turns out

SBETigg
05-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Jeniflower has great advice. I agree. Relax, be you, and don't be afraid to toot your own horn (no music teacher humor intended). Ask questions to find out more about the school, too. I hope it's a great fit!

:pixie:

NewDVCowner
05-13-2010, 12:02 PM
When I interview people I'm always impressed by the people that took the time to research my company and ask specific questions about it. Saying something to the effect of 'I noticed on your website that....' I know that they took the time to look into the job, they're not just flooding the market with their resume and coasting through interviews. They put effort in.

Also, send a thank you note afterwards. Even if I don't end up hiring someone, if I received a thank you note I keep their information handy in case 1.) the person hired doesn't work out or 2.) we end up looking for another person.

Mousefever
05-13-2010, 12:37 PM
I haven't interviewed for anything in a loooong time, so I don't have much advice. Knowing you, I would suggest being yourself. Your competency and positive attitude are undeniable!

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

Amy

princessgirls
05-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Good Luck! I'm sure you'll do great, just be yourself!! Let us know how you make out.

Julie:mickey:

TikiGoddess
05-13-2010, 01:27 PM
I haven't interviewed for anything in a loooong time, so I don't have much advice. Knowing you, I would suggest being yourself. Your competency and positive attitude are undeniable!

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

Amy

Awwww.... Amy, I will keep your words in my head on the way to the interview. I am trying to think of this as me interviewing them, rather than the other way around.

I've done my research on the school (and liked what I found)... gotta write down specific questions... and I have to write down some answers to questions I know they will ask -- about teaming literacy with music, use of assessment in the classroom, etc.

And I have to pick something to wear... :D

Kathy

Disney4us2
05-13-2010, 01:35 PM
Good luck with the interview:pixie:

DizneyRox
05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
My best advice is to not go in expecting anything, go in relaxed, etc. So many teachers have lost their jobs in recent years that the application pool is going to be tremendous.

Interviewing in education seems to run the board, so it's really tough to expect anything. I've seen some towns have a very friendly type interview process. Others seems to enjoy demeaning candidates almost to the point of ridicule.

Some towns hold cattle calls where they basically give everyone an number and an initial five minute interview, others pre-screen and have more in depth first interviews. You might want to try to find out what Hartford is doing. The cattle calls can be disheartening.

TikiGoddess
05-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Music is actually an area of critical need in CT, meaning yes, there will be applicants but not as many as for an elementary classroom teacher position.

I have an 'in' in this case -- the principal (who will be interviewing me) used to work in my district, and when I mentioned the interview to my current principal, she said, "Oh, she's a good friend of mine -- let me know when you apply and I'll call her and tell her about you." (my current principal and I get along very well)

I'm feeling much better (in part thanks to the advice and support here!). To be honest -- they would be lucky to have me at their school. Early childhood music is my specialty -- I put 110% into my job -- I am up on all current trends (data, assessment) -- and am easy going and positive.

I will let you all know how it goes! Thanks!
Kathy

ElenitaB
05-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Kathy, you forgot to add that you're an awesome baker. :thumbsup: (That alone could be a selling point.)

Good luck on the interview! :pixie:

murphy1
05-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Good luck Kathy!! Sounds like they would love to have you with all of your experience and credentials! They would be lucky to get such a great teacher. We just got a new music teacher last year at our school, she is from Boston and my kids and the whole school just adore her. My oldest even wants to join chorus next year b/c of this teacher! So great teachers like you are appreciated by everyone.

I think "who you know" is definitely one of the best ways to get a job.

TikiGoddess
05-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Hi folks!

The interview went well. I did my best to answer their questions and share my beliefs and experience. I got a good feeling overall, but of course it's hard to tell when you don't know who else is in the running for the job, and what they're looking for. I did my best, that's all I could do.

But the best part of this morning was hearing more about the position and the school. I could really see myself teaching there. It's an interesting setting (like a campus with the classrooms spread out in 5 different buildings). There is a music room (well, space) -- a foyer in one of the buildings. But anything is better than being on a cart. I like the philosophy and the diversity of the school.

Next step, teaching a lesson at the school. I'm almost more comfortable doing that than doing an interview!

Thanks everyone!
Kathy

TikiGoddess
05-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi folks --

It's Wednesday and I'm still waiting to hear from the school about teaching a lesson. Getting a little nervous that I haven't heard back from them, but it's still early, right?

Kathy

SBETigg
05-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Sounds like you had a good vibe with the place and I'm glad it went well. I think it is early, yes. I know it's hard when you're just waiting to hear! Best wishes.

Mousefever
05-19-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!

Amy

DizneyRox
05-21-2010, 12:05 PM
Hi folks --

It's Wednesday and I'm still waiting to hear from the school about teaching a lesson. Getting a little nervous that I haven't heard back from them, but it's still early, right?

Kathy
Depends on where they were with the interview process...

Budgets are just now getting approved for next year. You would think they would know before they started interviewing, but maybe they want to get a head start on all the folks losing jobs.

There's a lot going on in schools now. So finding the time to meet and decide on candidates may be taking a back seat.

But also, the bad news is that they often tell the candidates they want before the ones they don't. The reasoning is, you don't want to turn someone away until they get a favorable response from their first choice.

TikiGoddess
05-21-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm going to ask my principal what she thinks, but if I don't hear from the school today (Friday) or Monday, I will call them on Tuesday just to check in and see what's up. I did get the impression that they would be calling me back to teach a lesson (otherwise why would the principal tell me of the next step at the end of the first interview). I know that schools are busy at this time of year -- class placement, budgets, etc. along with the fact that this school was also interviewing for two other positions. I'm hoping that my personal recommendation from my principal will give me an extra push. (They could also be checking references of the other candidates...)

It's been a miserable week (and I've got a head cold on top of it). The budget passed in the town where I'm currently teaching, but unfortunately that's not good news... we will be losing many staff members because of the huge budget cuts. My position is definitely .3 (day and a half) next year, and I'm not sure I have anyone that I can 'bump', because of cuts at other schools in the district.

Thanks for the encouragement, all! Waiting to hear what my future will be is so hard....

Kathy

WDWFanatic
05-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Good luck Kathy, hopefully you will hear something Monday and put your worries to rest. I'm looking forward to your post that they:

A. offered you the job
B. better pay than current
C. better hours
D. They're going to send you to Disney for some training.

Hey why not dream big!
Best wishes!

DizneyRox
05-28-2010, 06:39 AM
Still no word?

TikiGoddess
05-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Yes, believe it or not, no word. Two weeks and counting.

Thankfully I have good news. I have TWO job opportunities that popped up in the last 48 hrs. My husband (who now teaches elementary music here in my hometown) has decided to move up to the town high school. His job will be open. :)

AND... there is a good possibility that I will be able to stay at my current school!! The woman who teaches music with me might have to cut back her hours for personal reasons.

So it's looking like I will have a job next year!!

Kathy

TikiGoddess
06-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the pixie dust, everyone!

The best possible resolution has come about. My colleague has decided to cut back her hours, so I will be keeping my job next year! Four days a week with Mondays off, too!

What a relief.

Kathy

PS still haven't heard anything from the interview, three weeks later!

RedSoxFan
06-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Congrats on being able to keep your job. You must be relieved.:)

Dsnygirl
06-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Kathy, that is SUCH good news.... I'm so happy you're able to stay put and have a good schedule at the same time!! :thumbsup:

WDWFanatic
06-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Good News Kathy! But what will you do when they finally offer you the other job ;).