PDA

View Full Version : Broken leg - Scooter question

mommyprincess
05-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Random question - I broke my leg the end of January and am healing slower than expected. We are going to Disney mid June and Wendy, my lovely Magical Journeys gal recommended a scooter...my question is how well does a scooter fit in ride lines? do I need to park it by the stroller's and walk in? Just trying to get my brain around how this would work...:confused:

Ed
05-12-2010, 10:46 AM
It totally depends on the particular ride. Some have queues that are large enough that you stay on the scooter right up to the loading area, others will accomodate you by having you 'drive' up to the fastpass lane, and on some you will have to park it and walk.

The WDW website puts it this way ~~

ACCESS FOR GUESTS WITH DISABILITIES AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
Most Walt Disney World attractions, restaurants, shops and shows are accessible to all our Guests. In some cases, however, Guests may need the assistance of a member of their party to fully utilize these areas. Also, at some attractions Guests using wheelchairs may need to transfer from their wheelchairs onto an attraction vehicle. Disney Cast Members are not permitted to physically lift Guests from wheelchairs. We therefore recommend that Guests plan to visit with someone who can physically assist them, when necessary.

mommyprincess
05-12-2010, 10:57 AM
That was so helpful...I can get up and walk but it is with a serious limp...the scooter is mostly because I cannot walk for long periods yet...I just wasnt sure if I would have to stand in line ...which sometimes can be a long time... whew! Now I don't feel so worried.

btharvey
05-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Also, be prepared for people to be insanely rude and complain out loud if and when you get on a bus. For some reason a lot of people think that people who are "walking challenged" should not be allowed to take the regular buses but should have buses of their own (nevermind the cost) because the non-challenged shouldn't be "put upon" by those who have challenges.

Personally, I think that those who are rude in this manner should be put off the buses entirely and forced to walk -- they're able-bodied, right? ;-)

Most people will be fine and even helpful, but be prepared for those ignorant ones. My blessings to you!

DisneyLuver91
05-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Usually if people see a cast they aren't too rude. I hope your trip is wonderful and filled with magic! :pixie:

everyonesmadhere
05-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Is this a one foot scooter? My mom had one, and she loved it. Super easy, and fun. People only tend to care when it's just a lazy person on one of those motorized chairs. I hate how they get special treatments, when they are usually just to lazy to walk around.

renecat
05-12-2010, 03:04 PM
When ever I see a person in a wheel chair or scooter I alway think how blessed I am to be able to get around on my own. Maybe someday I may need this and so I treat people the way I want to be treated if this ever happens to me.
Have a great trip.

Daisy'sMom
05-12-2010, 03:15 PM
I just found out today that I wll be walking with cane the rest of my life and if walking for long periods, will need the assistance of a scooter. We went to Epcot on Saturday and I rented an EVC. Most people were very nice, although I did not have to experience the bus problem. I will in November when we go for a annual family Disney vacation. I am dreading that part of it.:mickey:

Michelle15
05-12-2010, 03:17 PM
People do tend to be nasty but there is nothing you can do about it. Just relax and have a good time! Keep us posted on your trip :mickey:

mommyprincess
05-12-2010, 05:08 PM
thanks for all the helpful advice...don't think folks will mistake me for anything but a clutzy middle aged women who broke her ankle:) Plus the freaky franckinstien incision should be the dead givaway! June 17th can't come any sooner:mickey::magic

queenmom9497
05-12-2010, 05:24 PM
We will be down there starting the 19th! If I see you motoring your scooter around, I will be happy to do crowd control for you! Have a good trip, ignore the comments (the bad ones) and enjoy the magic!:mickey:

everyonesmadhere
05-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Oh dear. I don't mean people with disabilities, I meant lazy people. Sorry to offend.

Gator
05-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Also, be prepared for people to be insanely rude and complain out loud if and when you get on a bus. For some reason a lot of people think that people who are "walking challenged" should not be allowed to take the regular buses but should have buses of their own (nevermind the cost) because the non-challenged shouldn't be "put upon" by those who have challenges.

I've found that people aren't rude when you get on a bus in an ECV....unless you bring along 8+ people. Just like all lines at WDW, no one likes to stand in one for an extended period of time just to see a large group show up at the last second, get to board first, and take all the choice seats. The other riders will only be rude if they feel they're treated unfairly. Just a heads up from someone who's seen both sides.

Fastpasssteve
05-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Also consider that you have about a month before your trip...and hopefully you become stronger with each passing day! Hope you enjoy your scooter, your healing leg, and your trip to WDW!

aurora, ariel, and bell
05-13-2010, 08:14 AM
I am considering renting an ECV from an outside company, so i would need it on the bus. I am also worried, because I can walk but not for the long distances at WDW. I wish that they would have the scooters wait in line like the rest of the people boarding the bus, then i would feel like i am taking my turn just like everyone else!
Also, I don't think you can tell who is lazy and who really needs the scooter, I don't want people to think I am lazy, but that is what I am afraid will happen.
I need a knee replacement, but they won't do it until I am a bit older, and went last year and rented from the parks for a few days, but that is way too expensive!

svarhall07
05-13-2010, 12:55 PM
I've found that people aren't rude when you get on a bus in an ECV....unless you bring along 8+ people. Just like all lines at WDW, no one likes to stand in one for an extended period of time just to see a large group show up at the last second, get to board first, and take all the choice seats. The other riders will only be rude if they feel they're treated unfairly.

EXACTLY!!! I don't have an issue with someone with a disability using the scooters, I DO have a problem with overweight people using the scooters :scale: . . . it is very sad to see obese parents ride up to the buses with their children, skip the line, park the scooters on the bus, and then get up to help their children get seated beside them. I have a feeling they wouldn't be obese if they'd get up and move!! It also sets a bad example to the kids that being fat comes with privileges!

I do think that people will be kind if you have a cast due to a broken leg, just don't show up with 10 family members to board with you and expect smiles and pats on the back. :mickey:

Daisy'sMom
05-13-2010, 01:49 PM
As a former nurse and someone who is now walking with a cane, has it ever occurred to anyone that the overweight people are handicapped and that's why they are so overweight? Between medications, and lack of movement, along with depression, can be reason enough to be overweight. Not only that, but most disabled people do not show their disability. I find that lack of compassion and knowledge are the biggest offense in this world today.
Until you walk in their shoes, you should not judge.:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Since the original poster's question was answered so succinctly (thank you, Ed!) and this thread is going in a direction we really don't need to go, it will now be closed.