PDA

View Full Version : Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Announced!

NJDad
05-12-2010, 06:05 AM
More suites. To be ready in 2012.

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will feature 1,120 suites with room for as many as six people each and another 864 traditional hotel rooms, with a design theme based on four of the company’s most popular animated movies.

Plans for the new resort show 10 wings of rooms and a separate building housing the check-in lobby and restaurants. The hotel wings will be separated into four distinct groups, each with a theme from a different animated movie: The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Finding Nemo and Cars.

Each section will have separate courtyards anchored by icons from the movies — such as a 35-foot-tall King Triton presiding over the Mermaid section — and the entire resort will use bright-color palettes evocative of the lush scenery of animated movies. Hotel designers say they have been soliciting input from artists at Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios on everything from building elevations to which scenes to depict at the swimming pools.

“The hope is you walk into this courtyard and you’re kind of like seeing it as a character in the movie,” said Frank Paris, a senior project manager with Walt Disney Imagineering, the company’s in-house attraction-design unit.

Because the majority of its rooms will be six-person suites, the Art of Animation Resort will have roughly the same capacity as Pop Century, which has 2,800 conventional rooms.

Bethis26fan
05-12-2010, 07:41 AM
cool

LoriSan
05-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Big news…we’ve just announced plans for a new resort at Walt Disney World Resort that’ll bring to life some of our most beloved characters and stories. Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will be one-of-a-kind, featuring family suites designed around four themes: The Lion King, Cars, Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid.

It’s a resort designed with families in mind. There will be amazing sights at the different themed wings of the resort, including a model of King Triton that’ll eventually be 35 feet tall and tower over guests. And Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will also have themed room interiors in its nearly 2,000 new units — 1,120 family suites in The Lion King, Cars and Finding Nemo wings and 864 themed rooms in The Little Mermaid wings. Suites will have both a living room and a bedroom, offering added space.

All of the themed suites and rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort (to be located adjacent to Disney’s Pop Century Resort) are expected to open by the end of 2012.

PopPhan
05-12-2010, 08:02 AM
So I guess this will be a "Family Value Resort"? A value resort priced in the Moderate range because of the extra living space.

Sounds interesting. Wonder if ground will be broken on it by the time we go down in September.

Rekenna
05-12-2010, 08:12 AM
What fun/great news! I'm glad that "wasted space" is going to be used next to POP-it looked so sad and forlorn.

Something new to try in the near future!:mickey:

ransam
05-12-2010, 08:32 AM
I am curious if this will be considerred a value resort w/ suites, kind of like the suites at the all-star music, or if it ill be priced as a moderate.

DVC2004
05-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Glad they're doing something with those buildings, but I wish it was a Deluxe or a Mod instead.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
05-12-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm glad to see that they're finishing these as a Value resort. Families that cannot afford the upper level resorts should not be forgotten. There are enough Deluxe and DVC properties on site already for those that can enjoy them.

crltkcagle
05-12-2010, 09:11 AM
Awesome!!!!

PittFan
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Sounds awesome, I can't wait to stay there !!!!

laprana
05-12-2010, 09:37 AM
This sounds really cool! I'm also glad to see they're finally doing something with that empty building! :thumbsup:

trynkat
05-12-2010, 09:40 AM
My son will be thrilled about the Cars-themed rooms. :mickey:

Ed
05-12-2010, 09:52 AM
This is the area where the new resort will be built, using the partially-completed buildings already there and adding others.

TikiLounger
05-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Hmmm...sounds interesting and fun! I can't wait to see the site in a few weeks. It will be the first time I've stayed at the POP Century. I've heard about the unfinished portion and now, when I do finally see it, I'll know there's a plan. It won't seem like wasted space and resources.

Dr. Disney
05-12-2010, 10:31 AM
It's about time! That land made POP look so aweful. The land is already developed, so why not use it! And the theme idea, even better than the original legendary years.

About time Disney does something smart :number1:

diz_girl
05-12-2010, 10:41 AM
It kind of sounds like All-Star Movies, just with different movies and the rooms are predominately suites. Maybe the theming will be a little more artistic too.

It's great that they're doing this, as there is a real need for on-site rooms for larger families that don't cost a small fortune. WDW probably loses a good bit of business to off-site condos because they don't have enough lower-priced suites. I'm sure that the family suites at the All-Stars are a hit and Alligator Bayou at POR is mostly full, or else WDW would not be making this kind of investment.

McLiberal8
05-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Staying in a Lion King themed-room? The dream of the 10 year-old inside of me just became real!
This sounds great - I love the themes of other hotels, but none of them are actually DIsney-themed! :mickey:

Michelle15
05-12-2010, 10:49 AM
This sounds Fantastic! I can't wait for this to be done. I know where we are going to stay in 2012!!:mickey::rocks:

Scar
05-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Who announced this? I don't see anything on the Disney News Release website.

Figment!
05-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Who announced this? I don't see anything on the Disney News Release website.There's no press release yet, but it was announced by the Disney Parks Social Media Director through the Official Disney Parks Blog.

Figment!
05-12-2010, 11:01 AM
For those interested in the history of this project, it would appear that the test building reported in Potential New Resort: Disney's Animation Inn & Suites (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=145563) was indeed preparation for this resort.

Mr. Brass Bonanza
05-12-2010, 11:07 AM
FANTASTIC!!! :thumbsup:

Now having a family myself, I can appreciate the importance of these value resorts. We're going to stay at Pop Century in January, and this new resort will definitely be part of our immediate trip following its completion.

My son's favorite movie is Cars, and my daughter's favorite movie is The Little Mermaid. What will we do? Will we need to split up the family? Oh, the choices...

KylesMom
05-12-2010, 11:07 AM
Amazing, over a year and a half after Jason posted the "test", it comes into reality.

Although I'm somewhat surprised at the announcement at this time, I'm glad that Disney is doing something with the plain-old creepy property which currently exists. They're finally getting the fact that they need to create affordable resorts for the larger families - thus keeping these same groups on property. :thumbsup:

Elranzer
05-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not thrilled about this, at all.

These buildings should have been Pop Century: Legendary Years (1900 - 1940).

The only reason that development stalled on the Legendary Years buildings was due to 9/11 and Disney's fear of lowered tourism. There's no reason to re-theme the resort, especially, since it's connected to the Pop Century: Classic Years resort.

The Art of Disney Animation Resort was a remnant of Eisner, back when he was displeased with the Pop Century and wanted to re-theme the WHOLE resort as the Disney Animation Inn. The idea should have died when Eisner left the company, along with the rest of his bad ideas like changing Alien Encounter: ExtraTERRORestrial to Stitch's Great Escape.

Now the Pop "Century" is doomed to be half a century.

TysMomTink
05-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm excited to see this. The lost Legendary Years section is an absolute eyesore and to complete it in any way is great. Theming to specific Disney movies- all I have to say is I can't believe it's taken them so long. LOL. My son loves Cars. I can't wait to see what the Cars rooms/section looks like!

Mr. Brass Bonanza
05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
First, welcome to Intercot, Elranzer.

Second, I can see your point about Pop Century only covering half a century, but I really don't think people are going to remember it was originally Eisner's idea once it opens. As a father, I'm estatic that my son and daughter will be staying in a resort that will amplify movies they absolutely love. I also think it's kind of neat there will be a walkway between this resort and Pop Century. They'll be like sister resorts.

That's just my point of view as a father of young kids, but I do see where you're coming from. Oh...and I do agree with you about Alien Encounter: ExtraTERRORestrial 100%.

Ed
05-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Who announced this? I don't see anything on the Disney News Release website.

There's a lengthy story in today's Orlando Sentinel (http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/05/disney-to-build-2000-room-hotel-dubbed-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/), which quotes a few Disney execs, including Jay Rasulo.

DVC2004
05-12-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm glad to see that they're finishing these as a Value resort. Families that cannot afford the upper level resorts should not be forgotten. There are enough Deluxe and DVC properties on site already for those that can enjoy them.

I didn't mention DVC in my comment... There aren't alot of mods though and alot of people prefer them over value. I ,too, am glad there are value choices- I guess this resort makes sense as it's already partially built and over by Pop.

mdricks
05-12-2010, 01:21 PM
Im a mods fan myself but i have to admit the family suites at music were worth every penny paid. If these are more of the same, power to em i say! I will certianly stay there.

BRJARE3
05-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Sounds great. We are a family of five and were just saying the other night that this is our last year to stay on site. Our children are too young to have their own rooms, and nothing else would be in our price range. This will be a great value for us.

Nascfan
05-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Sweet! I'm quite pleased with this news and that they are going to be utilizing the space. While I agree it would have been nice to finish the Century, I think and hope this will be a very good option for larger and smaller families alike. :thumbsup:

Kennywife
05-12-2010, 01:46 PM

The only reason that development stalled on the Legendary Years buildings was due to 9/11 and Disney's fear of lowered tourism. There's no reason to re-theme the resort, especially, since it's connected to the Pop Century: Classic Years resort.

The Art of Disney Animation Resort was a remnant of Eisner, back when he was displeased with the Pop Century and wanted to re-theme the WHOLE resort as the Disney Animation Inn. The idea should have died when Eisner left the company, along with the rest of his bad ideas like changing Alien Encounter: ExtraTERRORestrial to Stitch's Great Escape.

Honestly, I can see a possible reason why they are doing it. Even though the decades in the legendary years have a lot of good things to focus on, it's impossible to finish the resort without covering the not so good stuff as well like the wars and the depression. Plus, more people are staying value and they probably want to give more options.

Now, although it would make a great history lesson for kids, a lot of people come to vacations to 'escape' from the outside world. I'm excited about it! I would be looking forward to The Lion King room or maybe Cars! :)

Anna

DisneyLuver91
05-12-2010, 01:51 PM
My only complaint is that Cars and Finding Nemo haven't been around long enough to have staying power. We know that The Little Mermaid and The Lion King have made it, but Nemo and Cars.... Ehhh.... And Nemo has like, 3 attractions already. Maybe just make a Cars attraction and call it a day. :twocents:

Goofy4TheWorld
05-12-2010, 02:04 PM
I think this is the most fantastic news I have ever read on Intercot! My wife and I have kinda-sorta thought we would have 3 kids (but after the first one, a wild child, we may chicken out), and it was such a downer that a family of 5 or 6 was just thrown under the bus by Disney in terms of reasonably priced accommodations for families of this size.

I think Disney got it right at every turn: making it a value resort, putting in at the Pop site, theming to those 4 movies, and the mixing of both suites and regular rooms all at one location. I think the complaint department should close for the day and not reopen until tomorrow at 8am.;)

JUST TERRIFIC!!!

BrerGnat
05-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Well, geez, it's ABOUT TIME already! My gosh. That lot has been empty for, what, almost 10 years now???

I think this is a fantastic idea. Will really help all those larger families who scramble with having to reserve two (hopefully connecting) rooms for every trip. I think it's a very wise decision on Disney's part to finally open an "all suites" hotel (or close, to "all").

I suppose the Little Mermaid section will be the already completed buildings?

However, I have to question the choice of movies being represented. Isn't Lion King, essentially, the theme of the new AK DVC? And, sort of the whole AK lodge too? More or less? I wonder if they have an excess of building materials and decorations lying around in a warehouse somewhere that they need to use up. While Lion King was a huge movie, so was Beauty and the Beast, and even Aladdin, so why Lion King when that theme already exists?

I also think "why Nemo?". Isn't the CBR featuring Nemo in the rooms now? I mean, there are SO many movies to pick from.

And, I think it's odd to have a mix of Pixar and Disney movies represented. Why not go all out either way? I mean, Pixar IS essentially Disney now, but back when Nemo and Cars were created, they were still Pixar...

I don't know. We'll probably never stay there, but I think the Cars rooms would be a HUGE hit with my son.

And, I disagree with the lack of relevance of Cars. As a parent of two boys, 5 and 4, I can tell you that Cars is known around here a million times better than Lion King and Little Mermaid. We own all those movies, and my kids have never had any desire to watch anything but the Pixar films...that's what appeals to them. I really feel like for this generation of kids, it's the Pixar movies that will mean "Disney" to them, not so much the stuff made prior to 2000.

Mr. Brass Bonanza
05-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Debating the choices, the only one I question is Finding Nemo. I would have preferred Monster's Inc. or Toy Story instead.

Carol
05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Who announced this? I don't see anything on the Disney News Release website.It is on their media site.

OFFIAL PRESS RELEASE:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. (May 12, 2010) – Work begins soon on an exciting new resort hotel built around the themes of Disney animation, Walt Disney World Resort announced today. Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will be one-of-a-kind, featuring family suites designed around four themes: The Lion King, Cars, Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid.

Crowned by a 35-foot-tall model of King Triton, the family-friendly resort will have themed room interiors in its nearly 2,000 new units — 1,120 family suites in The Lion King, Cars and Finding Nemo wings and 864 themed rooms in The Little Mermaid wings. Suites will have both a living room and a bedroom.

“These themes have both compelling storylines and vivid visuals which will come together to create a truly memorable, immersive resort experience,” said Eric Jacobson, Senior Vice President of Walt Disney Imagineering. “With more multi-generational families vacationing together, guests are looking for places where they can play together and stay together. This resort was designed with the needs of families in mind, as we continue the Disney tradition of providing a great guest experience for every taste and budget.”

Added Tom Staggs, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts: “We are always looking for opportunities to expand and enhance our Walt Disney World offerings, and Disney’s Art of Animation Resort is a great example of those efforts. This new resort will feature some of our most beloved characters and stories in a unique and special way that we think our guests will really enjoy,” said “This project also underscores our optimism about the future, as we continue to invest in new experiences for our guests around the globe.”

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, the 26th resort at Walt Disney World, will be one-of-a-kind, with themed building exteriors and room interiors, and larger-than-life icons from the animated films in the courtyard areas. To be located next to Disney’s Pop Century Resort, all of the themed suites and rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort are expected to open by the end of 2012.

doombuggy
05-12-2010, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=BrerGnat;2053568]
However, I have to question the choice of movies being represented. Isn't Lion King, essentially, the theme of the new AK DVC? And, sort of the whole AK lodge too? More or less? I wonder if they have an excess of building materials and decorations lying around in a warehouse somewhere that they need to use up. While Lion King was a huge movie, so was Beauty and the Beast, and even Aladdin, so why Lion King when that theme already exists? [qUOTE]

You lost me here. I have stayed at AKL, and it's an African theme. I wouldn't call it "Lion King." When reading the Sentinel article and hearing the report on the news this am, it appeared to me that this new resort would be similar to Pop in its "look."

This is a great use of the space and the suites are a great idea!

Fastpasssteve
05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
What a great idea. I have friends with a son who would give up Christmas to stay in a hotel themed like the movie Cars! They will undoubtedly stay there in the future.

Imagineer1981
05-12-2010, 02:42 PM
this is very cool and a great use of the area. It will add more suites which is great and another awesome value resort for families. Disney has been losing the value costumers lately because many are staying off property when the values are booked up

GothMickey
05-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Like the idea, hate the choices. Nemo, eh. Like someone said, CBR has Nemo themed rooms already. B&TB should be represented. How about the classics? Why have themed sections anyway? The resort should celebrate ALL Disney animation. All-Star Movies on a family suite scale. I guess it could hav ebeen worse. Stitch could have been one of the themes. :ack:

wildernesslady
05-12-2010, 02:52 PM
This is great news for the space. I stayed at Pop a couple of years ago and the abandoned area was very un-disney. Is it definitely going to be considered a value? The cars theming sounds fun; especially for my 3 grandsons.

harlowandthemermaid
05-12-2010, 03:33 PM
I like the suite idea, this is a great idea for the family that wants more space but is on a budget. My guess with the 4 choices, is that Cars is popular with the boys, Ariel is popular with the girls and Nemo and Lion King are both kind of neutral? I am interested to see the suite pricing.

BrerGnat
05-12-2010, 03:41 PM
The AK Kidani Village DVC has Lion King themed art work and tile work in the bathrooms. There is also a Simba pattern woven into the curtains. It's subtle, but it's very clearly Lion King *embellished*, if you will. Just wondering why repeat the same theme, when there are SO many movies to choose from. Even Snow White or Cinderella would have been better, I think.

limegreenmonorail
05-12-2010, 04:38 PM
I REALLY hope that they have actual beds for 6 people in these rooms...I know they won't, but I hate paying for a hotel room where most of the family gets stuck on sleeper sofas and fold-out ottomans and such. I love being able to have the whole family together in a larger room, but for the money we're paying for the room, everyone deserves a real bed. I'm still a little iffy about this hotel...aren't the rooms at Caribbean Beach basically Nemo-themed (besides the pirate rooms)? And, I agree with previous posters - while AK isn't exactly Lion King-themed, it's close enough. We'll have to wait and see how this turns out. I'm glad they're finally doing something with the deserted half of Pop Century, though, and finally building something that's not DVC!

Belster
05-12-2010, 05:09 PM
We are stoked!! Cannot wait to stay here in 2012!!! Yay!!!

Goofster
05-12-2010, 05:18 PM
I like the suite idea, this is a great idea for the family that wants more space but is on a budget. My guess with the 4 choices, is that Cars is popular with the boys, Ariel is popular with the girls and Nemo and Lion King are both kind of neutral? I am interested to see the suite pricing.

I thought the same thing. That's probably why they went with those particular 4.

I think this is a great idea, but what does it make Pop 'Century' now? Pop-Half-Century? I wouldn't be surprised to see a name change to Pop Century in the next few years. Who knows?! :D

Crow
05-12-2010, 05:38 PM
glad they are finally doing something w that area. I stood at the end of the bridge on my last trip looking at the area.
although i wonder if they think attendance is going to be up then to fill it

pink
05-12-2010, 06:10 PM
I just thought of something about this... and it's not great.

My family always loved staying at Pop over the other value resorts, one of the main reasons being that it had its own bus system. I bet they're planning to make these two resorts share. I'm not happy about that if it's true.

dream6
05-12-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm really glad that they are finally deciding to do something with that space - and I'm even more happy that the choice wasn't to tear it down!

I think the idea is really cool. I was excited when I read what the description of the hotel and immediately decided I would be staying in Little Mermaid or Lion King :party:

Buuut, when I saw it was going where the Legendary Years was meant to be I was disappointed. When we stayed at Pop my friends and I had a lot of fun discussions thinking about how they would theme each of the decades there and we couldn't wait to see what Disney would do with it. So it's kind of disappointing that we won't get to see it. And I do have to respectfully disagree with an earlier poster who said it was "impossible" to cover those decades without bringing in the World Wars and Depression, because I don't see Korea or the Vietnam War in any of the Classic Years.

But all in all, can't wait to see this area become something for us all to enjoy! And the suites are definitely good news to families of 5 or more! It was always a challenge figuring out where to stay for my family of 5 :mickey:

paragon
05-12-2010, 06:38 PM
This is ok with me, I'm glad they are doing something with the space. Now, as to the other half of the Century, it could still be done simply by changing a few buildings at Pop, they could re theme each of the wings of each building easy enough to incorporate the missing years.
The animation idea does fit better overall.

DizneyFreak2002
05-12-2010, 06:51 PM
I just thought of something about this... and it's not great.

My family always loved staying at Pop over the other value resorts, one of the main reasons being that it had its own bus system. I bet they're planning to make these two resorts share. I'm not happy about that if it's true.

Food for thought: If they actually had finished the Legendary Years, the two sides would have shared bus service anyway... So, what's the difference?

crazypoohbear
05-12-2010, 07:24 PM
I'm really happy they are finishing off this area.
Now for some ideas on how to make it more marketable.
I think they should have some of the rooms with twin size bunk beds. I agree that the sleep sofa/ottomans are not comfy or practical.
If they put a king size bed with a bunk bed then mom and dad can sleep and boy/girl kids have their own beds.
or 2 double beds with a bunk bed would cover six to a room more comfy.
I travel with my sister and my 2 boys. we bring air beds for the boys, I'm sure they would love a bunk bed instead.
Just some scenerios where bunk beds would be very handy.
also, I really really really hope the put in the nice comfy mattresses available now to make it nice. like the heavenly beds :cloud9:
:cloud9:

a suite with 2 double beds and bunk beds with a dorm size refrig and a microwave oven would be fabulous! and a separate toilet/ shower area (like on the cruise ships)

Just my wishes.

Oh and some princess themed suites would be great for people with little girls.
maybe some jungle book rooms for boys?
Song of the south rooms AWESOME!!!!!!

Pop Centurion
05-12-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm happy they're finally making use of those buildings but I'm not crazy about the theme choices. Little Mermaid & Lion King are good choices. I could deal with Nemo but Cars.... Seriously?
What about classics like Peter Pan? or how cool would an Alice in Wonderland theme be? Imagine the possibilities there. Aladdin would even offer some great theming.
Actually instead of having a few themes in different rooms, why not a generic animation theme and make the exterior of the buildings have all the specific theming with icons from all the great Disney animated films.

But if Pixar must dominate the theming (seems to be a common thing now) why not Toy Story? Obviously the franchise that made Pixar huge and with TS3 coming out it will spark new interest.

tinka
05-12-2010, 09:02 PM
This is awesome! Does anyone know for sure whether this will be a Value resort? It will be great to have larger rooms, as our family is starting to outgrow the normal size rooms. We could go for the family suite at All Stars, but have really fallen for Pop Century and their great bus system!:mickey:

seanyred
05-12-2010, 09:06 PM
I like this idea. I probably won't ever stay here since I'm a vacation club owner but I do think there needs to be more value family suites for families on a tighter budget. As for theme's I love the ideas so far, could use more variety but I want to wait and see before passing final judgment.

With that being said I often don't understand why the boo-birds come out so quickly. In the past couple of years all I've read is people complaining about the unfinished side to Pop. Now that Disney is finally doing something with this eye-sore people are complaining before the product is even finished. Just don't get it.

Mickeysbrother
05-12-2010, 09:25 PM
This is awesome news!! I could not be more excited! We've stayed at the All Star Music family suites before and loved them. This should be even better because of the movie theming. Love the movies they chose. Can't wait to stay here!

thejens
05-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I love the idea of 6 people, but will hold my enthusiasm until I hear about the pricing!

Bethanymouse
05-12-2010, 09:30 PM
I think with larger families, blended families, and more families of multiples, family suites are needed. I think disney is doing what they do best, serving all differnt families.

SandmanGStefani24
05-12-2010, 09:35 PM
think i would have liked the legendary years idea better, but as long as it's going to be used and enjoyed that's all that matters. i always thought it was such a shame to see it rotting away like it was. this is great news~

ibrowse17
05-12-2010, 09:48 PM
My DW already wants to stay in a Squirt and Crush room:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
05-12-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm happy they're finally making use of those buildings but I'm not crazy about the theme choices. Little Mermaid & Lion King are good choices. I could deal with Nemo but Cars.... Seriously?
What about classics like Peter Pan? or how cool would an Alice in Wonderland theme be? Imagine the possibilities there. Aladdin would even offer some great theming.
Actually instead of having a few themes in different rooms, why not a generic animation theme and make the exterior of the buildings have all the specific theming with icons from all the great Disney animated films.

But if Pixar must dominate the theming (seems to be a common thing now) why not Toy Story? Obviously the franchise that made Pixar huge and with TS3 coming out it will spark new interest.

I agree... Nemo is in Caribbean Beach Resort already... But Toy Story would be a bad choice too.. Toy Story is already represented in All Star Movies... Alice in Wonderland should have been chosen. The section could have been themed to WONDERLAND.. Duh Disney!!!!!

Mousemates
05-12-2010, 11:05 PM
glad to have another choice at the lower price end...the other three values are pretty much the same thing with the only difference being the icons...a suite resort will help fill the niche for parents who want the theming/economy of a value and not be tied to a young sleeping child's schedule.

jennbunn
05-13-2010, 12:10 AM
i can't wait to stay in a car's themed room.car's is a family favorite. looks like i am planning trips for 2011 and 2012 :cloud9:

NJDad
05-13-2010, 06:28 AM
There's a lengthy story in today's Orlando Sentinel (http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/05/disney-to-build-2000-room-hotel-dubbed-disneys-art-of-animation-resort/), which quotes a few Disney execs, including Jay Rasulo.

Which was linked to in the original post, but the link was removed.

PopPhan
05-13-2010, 07:29 AM
i can't wait to stay in a car's themed room.car's is a family favorite. looks like i am planning trips for 2011 and 2012 :cloud9:

Nothing will be ready by 2011....The report states that it will be sometime in 2012 before they open the new resort (probably late in the year.)

Ed
05-13-2010, 07:42 AM
With that being said I often don't understand why the boo-birds come out so quickly. In the past couple of years all I've read is people complaining about the unfinished side to Pop. Now that Disney is finally doing something with this eye-sore people are complaining before the product is even finished. Just don't get it.

:ditto:

To paraphrase Abraham Lincoln ~~~

"You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you'll never please all of the people all of the time." :nono:

wilcat
05-13-2010, 08:37 AM
I think it is really great idea! I know there are many family's out there who will benefit from this new resort. I agree the theme's could have been different but I am sure Disney has a method to their choices. I have talked my DH into a trip in late 2012 or 2013 so I think I would like to try this new resort. We like staying in a suite type room as I get up way earlier then him and this way won't disturb his sleep. I will probably get in a couple of solo trips before then and will be sure to 'pop' over to see the progress of the resort. I too am curious to see what the cost will be but I figure it will depend on what the competative rates are when they get ready to open.

brownie
05-13-2010, 08:43 AM
I like the theming idea and it's good to see they're going to make use of the unfinished property at Pop Century. I'd be interested in staying at the Art of Animation Resort.

wildernesslady
05-13-2010, 09:00 AM
It would be great if they could design it like animators palette on the cruise ships, The background begins black and white and then color is added to bring it to life. Just a thought. I think any growth is promising for the future.

Goofy4TheWorld
05-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Which was linked to in the original post, but the link was removed.

A phenomenon of this site that I just don't understand.....:(

CaptainSad
05-13-2010, 09:14 AM
I think I saw some where that they will knock down what they have and start fresh.

yjgirl32
05-13-2010, 09:18 AM
I like the theming- although I agree Nemo is already represented. Another reason to go visit Disney again.

SBETigg
05-13-2010, 09:38 AM
I don't even care about the theming (though I think it's pretty great, and the selected movies were probably chosen for their familiarity, popularity with the modern Disney audience, and expected longevity). I think it's super that they're addressing the concerns of all the people who have larger families and have had no budget-friendly options to stay together at WDW. That's a plus, no matter the theme.

disneymom15
05-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Anyone care to take a guess at what the pricing might be for the rooms.

I'm excited about the new resort. I too question the theming choices, but I'm glad they're doing something with the area.

Disneyfirsttimer
05-13-2010, 10:02 AM

I have to agree with you. As exciting as this new resort sounds, I feel Disney should have kept with the plans to expand Pop Century. I does lessen the name now as only 50 years are represented. As can be seen from the aerial shot (cool by the way), one set of buildings were already up and it looks like a sister checkin building is there as well.

I think Disney should have continued with their plans to expand Pop with the Legendary Years. They still could have made that side completely Family Suites. That would have allowed Pop to be completed as planned and would have given families and guest the option of a suite or a standard room at the value price.

I am sure the new resort will be awesome, but I think they missed on this one :(.

Karyn

Hammer
05-13-2010, 10:05 AM
Anyone care to take a guess at what the pricing might be for the rooms.

I'm excited about the new resort. I too question the theming choices, but I'm glad they're doing something with the area.

I would think they will be priced similarly to the suites at All-Star Music. Also, like the suites at All-Star Music, I would expect these will not usually be included when resort discounts are released.

Seasonscraps
05-13-2010, 10:05 AM
I don't even care about the theming (though I think it's pretty great, and the selected movies were probably chosen for their familiarity, popularity with the modern Disney audience, and expected longevity). I think it's super that they're addressing the concerns of all the people who have larger families and have had no budget-friendly options to stay together at WDW. That's a plus, no matter the theme.

This is exactly what I was thinking. There has been a need for more affordable room for larger families for a while and I am really happy to see this issue addressed.

I am also glad they are doing something with that property. I admit to being lukewarm on the theming mostly for the reasons stated but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. Most people don't spend too too much time sitting in their room.

ASweetLov
05-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I cant wait to visit this resort in the future!:mickey:

BrerGnat
05-13-2010, 12:09 PM
I guess we can expect these suites to run from about $200/nt in Value Season up to about $350/nt in peak/holiday?

Perhaps with so many more of them, they WILL be eligible for discounts. Probably the reason they are not now is due to lack of inventory.

I agree with whoever mentioned having REAL BEDS in the suites. A major reason why I would not stay here is due to the "fold out" beds. Those are not comfortable at all. It's not fair to make the kids or other adults not sleeping in the "master bedroom" sleep on chair beds.

I like the idea of bunk beds. Or, even murphy beds!

Scorpiosammy
05-13-2010, 12:20 PM
I am so glad that they are building (what I hope will be) a new Value priced hotel! Even if we dont stay there, I still cant wait to see the finished product :)

eeyorepoohfan
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
:mickey:I think this is great!!! :thumbsup:It's just me and my hubby, no kids yet. So we don't need a suite, but I do see that they are needed! I am happy to see they will have some regular rooms too! We loved staying at the POP and plan to stay there again in the next year or two (whenever I can swing another vacation!). I look forward to seeing the progress. I hope to stay at the new resort shortly after they open. However, if we aren't able to, we can just cross the bridge and check it out on a future visit too! I like the idea of the themes. Like others mentioned, I too am excited to see them finally finishing this project. I will also be curious to see what the bus situation will become. But I am always just happy to be at Disney and take things in stride and enjoy my vacation! Can't wait to see it! Hopefully they will release artist rendurings soon so we can see their full vision!!! :thumbsup:

JoDisney
05-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Is there an artist sketch of this new resort and the suites and rooms?

2Epcot
05-13-2010, 03:21 PM
Glad to hear they are finishing that area of the resort. I guess that means Disney doesn't see a problem filling rooms. We may consider staying there when our son is old enough for his first WDW trip.

Hammer
05-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I guess we can expect these suites to run from about $200/nt in Value Season up to about $350/nt in peak/holiday?

Perhaps with so many more of them, they WILL be eligible for discounts. Probably the reason they are not now is due to lack of inventory.

See, I don't think they will. Disney has suites in the other levels of hotels and does not usually discount those rooms. They'll discount them only if they do not see people willing to pay the rack rate. I see Disney management using the logic, "well, we get people to stay at the suites at All-Star Music without discounts, so why should we discount the new resort?"

Buttercup
05-13-2010, 09:55 PM
Toy Story is already represented at All Star Movies.
I agree, Cars is a fabulous idea for a resort. I also think some more Princess rooms like Cinderella would be cool too, but Ariel is great. The Lion King seems redundant with the Animal Kingdom Lodge. And Nemo is fun, but maybe too much "sea creature" stuff if The Little Mermaid is already there. Unless, of course, those are the buildings that are going to be surrounding the pools... that's easy theming I guess.
Isn't Ariel and Sebastian at one of the pools at All Star Music? I seem to remember my son playing around some sculptures of them there...

Anyway, I agree that Pop Half-Century doesn't really make sense anymore. But really -- what do you think would be more popular with families with young children (who will be actually USING these suites):
"Mommy! I wanna stay in a Lightning McQueen hotel!"
or "Mommy! I wanna stay in a building with silent movie stars from the 20's!!!"

Adults would probably really enjoy the Legendary Years theming, but it doesn't really seem bankable when the resort will primarily be for families and kids.

Tink#64
05-14-2010, 12:23 AM
I think this is very good news all the way around! This resort will certainly help fill the need for larger families with younger children (not really feasible to have seperate rooms) and this will be a wonderful sight to behold from PC rather than the blah, empty, beige buildings that were never brought to fruition as the Legendary Years. IMHO, I was never sold on the idea of that 1/2 of the century, but to each his own! Pop is our WDW home right now & I couldn't care less if it's only going to represent 1/2 a century, now we'll have vibrant new property adjacent to Pop to look at! That's awesome! We're on an every other year rotation, and as much as we love Pop, we may very well just have to give the new place a try in 2012!

We'll be arriving at Pop in 22 days & I'm so hoping to see some activity over there! :fingers:

Rosemickey68
05-14-2010, 09:25 AM
I think it is great they are finally doing something with that land and those empty bldgs. I love the idea of The Little Mermaid theme and the Cars theme. I think adding the Lion King theme is awesome as I really love that movie. I know AKL and AKV are African themed and people relate this to the Lion King, but maybe Disney was thinking of those who can't afford to stay in the deluxe hotels. I agree with a previous poster....I would LOVE to see Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, any of the classics be put into a theme at a resort. Well I know were my family will be looking at staying in 2012. :mickey:

seanyred
05-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I think adding the Lion King theme is awesome as I really love that movie. I know AKL and AKV are African themed and people relate this to the Lion King, but maybe Disney was thinking of those who can't afford to stay in the deluxe hotels. :mickey:

I agree..just because they have this theme represented at AKL and Kidani doesn't mean that people who can only afford the value shouldn't have this theme. Plus AKL, Lion King theme is very subtle and elegant. For this new resort the theme could be more bold and maybe more cartoony since its title implies the focus being on animation.

PopPhan
05-14-2010, 12:05 PM

I'm not sure how they can justify charging more than double the rate as a single room at a value. Why not, in that case, just book two connecting rooms? Just looked up a September stay at All Star Music - Suite $190/$210 night; 2 Single Rooms $164/$184 night. With two rooms, you get 4 double beds and two baths. Call me dense, but I just don't understand the up-charge.

Scar
05-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Why not, in that case, just book two connecting rooms? I believe that connecting rooms are not guarenteed.

pcoleman
05-14-2010, 01:00 PM
I think this is a fab idea. Last trip stayed at POP for first time and loved it. Room in 50's overlooking lake and old unfinished resort. Thought it was so sad to just be sitting there without any Disney love. I love the new movie ideas. Can't wait to try it out. 2012 is out next visit. Glad it will be a value. My family is currently in a several year time of using our vacation time to see other places. They have promised me we will get soon.

Mammabruski
05-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Anyway, I agree that Pop Half-Century doesn't really make sense anymore. But really -- what do you think would be more popular with families with young children (who will be actually USING these suites):
"Mommy! I wanna stay in a Lightning McQueen hotel!"
or "Mommy! I wanna stay in a building with silent movie stars from the 20's!!!"

Adults would probably really enjoy the Legendary Years theming, but it doesn't really seem bankable when the resort will primarily be for families and kids.

Although it’s a shame we'll never see a completed "Pop Century" I agree that Disney needed to be flexible with the new resort's theme. Ask any kid where they'd want to stay - a resort based around cartoons, which immerses you in the theme, or a resort based around the 1900 -1940's... Uh, I can tell you what my 3 year old would say!

Also, I can't imagine that Pop and this new resort would share busses. That would be intense at closing time, say after Wishes, wouldn't it? The lines for Pop busses are almost always the longest, and typically require the most busses at the busiest times. I really doubt they would practically double the amount of people being serviced by those busses. But I guess you can't rule it out....

PopPhan
05-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Just re-reading the (myriad) reports on this new resort and I'm wondering something....

I was under the initial impression that this was the same size and general layout as Pop Century: Classic Years -- Seeing that this is going to be themed to FOUR Disney and/or Pixar movies (The Lion King, Cars, Finding Nemo and The Little Mermaid) this would make one assume that this will only contain FOUR room groupings, rather than the FIVE the PC:CY has.

Am I missing something? (Not that it matters in the long run, just something that caught my attention.)

Scar
05-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Yea I thought about that too. Then I looked at a map (http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/images/popcentury07.jpg) of POP and saw that '80's and '90's are combined. Only having stayed in '60's, I never went over there.

Buttercup
05-14-2010, 06:04 PM
I'm not sure how they can justify charging more than double the rate as a single room at a value. Why not, in that case, just book two connecting rooms? Just looked up a September stay at All Star Music - Suite $190/$210 night; 2 Single Rooms $164/$184 night. With two rooms, you get 4 double beds and two baths. Call me dense, but I just don't understand the up-charge.
Maybe because the suites have a kitchenette? That's really the only other difference I think besides renting two adjacent rooms. And, as someone mentioned above, you're not always guaranteed to get the room next door.

Kairi_7378
05-14-2010, 07:35 PM
The purist in me is slightly disappointed about 0Pop not getting finished as was originally intended. I have actually wanted to stay in one of the 20's rooms for ages.

that being said, I am glad that they are finally doing SOMETHING with that area! And if they had to deviate from the original, I don't mind the chosen themes. There are a lot of ways to do a Nemo theme so the rooms won't be quite like CBR's. And it's nice that they can do something Lion King-ish for a resort in the value range.

LudwigVonDrake
05-14-2010, 08:12 PM
I'm glad they're doing something with those buildings at Pop Century :mickey:

BrerGnat
05-14-2010, 09:22 PM

Well, they already do charge more than twice the room rate for the current value suites. It's a supply/demand issue right now. And, as mentioned, connecting or adjoining rooms are NEVER truly guaranteed. Booking the suites is the (affordable) way for families with VERY small kids to be able to stay together.

In addition, they have a larger fridge, microwave, and sink (like a kitchen one). A kitchenette, if you will, similar to what is in the DVC studio units.

BklynChick
05-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Great concept, but not crazy about the name....

Mom2Princess'
05-15-2010, 08:59 AM
I really like this idea! It will be good to see the property put to good use, it always looked like a ghost town to me when we would look at it from across the lake.

My guess, is that when they do a renovation of POP they will combine decades to get in the full century. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

:nemo::simba::dory::car::princess:

pink
05-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Food for thought: If they actually had finished the Legendary Years, the two sides would have shared bus service anyway... So, what's the difference?

I wouldn't be happy either way. They have left those buildings abandoned for years and I didn't care whether it was an "eyesore" what I enjoyed was staying at a value resort with its own bus system and not having to pay much to stay on Disney property. Thanks for your concern. :mickey:

Belster
05-15-2010, 02:44 PM
awww...man! I did not think about the sharing the bust issue....hmmmmmm.

IloveDisney71
05-15-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm so glad they are finally going to something with that area. I think that is going to be a great themed resort. :thumbsup:

Jeany031
05-16-2010, 11:38 AM
awesome!

xo0ally
05-16-2010, 12:15 PM
Here is my two cents, i love the idea i think it will get a lot of busniess. But i think they should change some of the themes. Do nemo and cars, then Peter pan or Alice in wonderland or do one of the princess movies. I fell cars is more for the little boys and not the little girls. i also think they should include kitchenettes in the six people suites for the larger families on a budget. And finally i think they will make it a value resort, since it is located around all the other value resorts. A moderete or deluxe resort in the midle of value resorts seems odd to me.:confused:

Jeany031
05-16-2010, 12:20 PM
:confused:

Genie1953
05-16-2010, 05:39 PM
Soooo glad they are finally doing something with these buildings...those empty, unfinished buildings were verrrry un-disney!

JoDisney
05-17-2010, 09:20 AM
They already have Nemo at the CBR. Little Mermaid, Cars, and The Lion King are a good idea. What about the new movie, Princess and the Frog? Sounds like fun!

magicofdisney
05-18-2010, 11:21 AM
I've never understood the argument that large families can't room at Disney. As a family of 6, we've stayed at Disney more than 30 times (conservatively speaking) over the last 6 years. We always book value and we've never NOT received connecting rooms. Despite the claim they can't be guaranteed, Disney is extremely accommodating. Add to this that 2 value rooms are cheaper than a value suite.

To the topic on hand, I'm excited to see something come to fruition with this property.

Gator
05-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I think the best thing this resort will do is relieve some pressure over at ASMovies. My kids will definitely love these new sweet suites.

Jasper
05-19-2010, 10:12 AM
awww...man! I did not think about the sharing the bust issue....hmmmmmm.

Everyone needs to realize that Disney what I call balancing they system when it comes to bus service regardless of the size of the resort or the number of resorts the busses stop at. For example; if the goal is to have 45 people on each bus, Disney adds or subtracts the number of busses go to a particular location depending on how many are staying at each resort, how many people are visiting each park, etc. The result is bus service is going to be about the same regardless of whether you are at POP, The Contemporary or the front door of the Magic Kingdom.

Cinderelley
05-20-2010, 03:57 AM
I am excited about the Lion King and Little Mermaid areas. I can understand Cars for the little boys, but I am tired of Nemo. A ride in Epcot, a show in AK, and rooms at CBR. I agree that something else would be better.

I did ask my kids if they would have preferred the Legendary Years or what is planned. They liked both ideas. They enjoy walking through the different decades and seeing what was popular then. They said they would've enjoyed some "Flapper stuff" in the Legendary Years. :laughing:

divacat80
05-20-2010, 11:14 AM
oh we've always had the idea of going to the mods... but i guess we'll have to give this new value resort a try!
my childhood dream! staying at a disney hotel with a little mermaid theme!!!! :number1:

what could be more cool than that?!?!
the pools at the TLM section are going to need to be AWESOME :party:

maybe we'll have to wait one more year to go to WDW :D

wdwluv
05-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Sounds great!

Just to clarify - so IS this a value resort then? Just larger rooms? With our family of 5 we could sure use a good value resort option! (think it will be a similar price to the Family Suites at ASMusic? or a better price?)

Hammer
05-20-2010, 01:27 PM
oh we've always had the idea of going to the mods... but i guess we'll have to give this new value resort a try!
my childhood dream! staying at a disney hotel with a little mermaid theme!!!! :number1:

what could be more cool than that?!?!
the pools at the TLM section are going to need to be AWESOME :party:

maybe we'll have to wait one more year to go to WDW :D

I would not count on too much of a theme at the pools. As it is a value resort, the pool will be relatively basic without a slide, like the pools at All-Stars and Pop Century.

Sounds great!

Just to clarify - so IS this a value resort then? Just larger rooms? With our family of 5 we could sure use a good value resort option! (think it will be a similar price to the Family Suites at ASMusic? or a better price?)

I would think the price will be exactly like the All-Star Music suites, definitely not priced lower.

Joannelet
05-20-2010, 04:58 PM
This sounds sooo cool!!!
I have never seen any of the values in person :) Maybe when this one is built I will make my way over there :)
Oh I lied I have seen WOS but that was it. We had a cast member party there.
This one sounds exciting!

badkitty
05-20-2010, 10:05 PM
This sounds sooo cool!!!
I have never seen any of the values in person :) Maybe when this one is built I will make my way over there :)
Oh I lied I have seen WOS but that was it. We had a cast member party there.
This one sounds exciting!

Okay, I give. What is WOS?

Jasper
05-21-2010, 07:34 PM
I've never understood the argument that large families can't room at Disney. As a family of 6, we've stayed at Disney more than 30 times (conservatively speaking) over the last 6 years. We always book value and we've never NOT received connecting rooms. Despite the claim they can't be guaranteed, Disney is extremely accommodating. Add to this that 2 value rooms are cheaper than a value suite.

To the topic on hand, I'm excited to see something come to fruition with this property.

Now that our kids are grown our family of five can no longer squeeze into a single value room and the mods are really not designed well for five adult size bodies either. The result has been the renting of two value rooms.

I just want to chime in that we too have constantly been told that connecting rooms are not a guarantee and we shouldn't be surprised if we don't get them. However, we have always gotten our connecting room request and have always been quite satisfied with them. (We are park Kamikazes and so a room is just a place to stay the night for us. As long as it is clean and convenient we are happy.) Don't let the fear of not getting connecting rooms hold you back from getting two rooms instead of paying suite prices if that is what you want to do.

I really think the whole "not promising your room request" is a carefully planned example of under promising and over delivering. By doing it this way there is no way that Disney is going to look bad.

magicofdisney
05-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Okay, I give. What is WOS?I'm wondering if they're meaning World of Sports but thinking All Star Sports. I'm just guessing, though.

hubbyofadisneyholic
06-05-2010, 09:53 PM
I love the idea of 6 people, but will hold my enthusiasm until I hear about the pricing!

My sentiments exactly!!:thumbsup:

grumpydude
06-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Should have made an ESPN resort, just sayin':mickey:

Jeany031
06-26-2010, 11:29 AM
great news I can't wait to enjoy it for 2012!:mickey:

Tekneek
06-26-2010, 11:44 AM
We are going in a month, and then won't be back until 2013. So maybe we will be checking that place out. I look forward to it being completed, even if we never stay there. Looks like it should be a positive development, by expanding the number of family suites available for larger families.

Tink#64
06-27-2010, 02:38 AM
Just back & they are working there! It was really exciting for us to finally see them doing something over there! We took lots of pics of the building and the facade as it currently is, because we know that when we return it will be a new resort! So exciting!

We could see the trailers that they set up for to construction crew (I'm guessing here) and we heard lots of construction sounds & could see the trucks moving around over there! Can't wait to see the final product!

IMHO, I can't imagine that there won't be dedicated bus service to each resort as Pop's buses are always filled to capacity! It always seems that Pop has the longest line of guests at all the park bus stops!

Change is progress! :mickey:

JerseyDad
07-27-2010, 10:53 PM
....now that I've heard that it's an active construction site....I sure hope that they are using the original building foundations from the initial construction. I'd hate to be staying at POP (in 4 weeks...and counting down)...and have a pile-driver going all day!!

.....BANG!-sheee-BANG!-sheee-BANG!-sheee...etc

Jeany031
07-28-2010, 12:36 PM
thanks for the info!

luvdiznee
11-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Just saw this on the WDW site. The drawing of it looked so attractive. My friend who was wanting to go next year sometime, is now willing to wait. She says they go about every 2 years or so anyway. They also have a party of 8. But for their next trip they say will have 9 since they are allowing one of their daughters to bring a friend. Not sure how this would work with that.

But I do know that for me and DD and my sister and niece it should work good. Especially if we also invite another friend and her DD. Can't wait to find out. :mickey:

Jeany031
11-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Yeah me too! I can't wait to find out too!:mickey:

finaldynasty
11-17-2010, 09:35 PM
It is because of this resort that my DF of 5 will wait until 2012 to go as a family!

Jeany031
11-18-2010, 12:55 PM
I can't wait for 2012 to come and see the opening of Art of Animation Resort!

angel2931
05-22-2011, 04:15 PM
It kind of sounds like All-Star Movies, just with different movies and the rooms are predominately suites. Maybe the theming will be a little more artistic too.

It's great that they're doing this, as there is a real need for on-site rooms for larger families that don't cost a small fortune. WDW probably loses a good bit of business to off-site condos because they don't have enough lower-priced suites. I'm sure that the family suites at the All-Stars are a hit and Alligator Bayou at POR is mostly full, or else WDW would not be making this kind of investment.

We are a family of five, and down the road one day, who knows, but we could end up as a family of 6. For this reason I was beginning to think our trip this summer would be one of our last staying on property. We are staying at POR this summer, so we will see how we do there. I am really looking forward to seeing this new resort!!