PDA

View Full Version : Teacher appreciation-end of year

magicofdisney
05-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Although we're a homeshooling family, my youngest son attends a class at the public school. Is it customary to give the teacher a gift at the end of the school year, to show appreciation? We gave her a gift at Christmas time, but we are very fond of her and genuinely "appreciate" all she's done for our son.

TIA

jmj18
05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
I usually do but it's totally optional.

I think it's a nice way to let the teacher know how you feel.

:mickey:

green ranger
05-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Yes, you can give an end of the year gift, especially if she has been an important part of your son's life. It doesn't have to be anything big. Just something thoughtful. It's nice to know that you are appreciated, so even a card from him saying that would be nice.

sportsguy2315
05-10-2010, 05:10 PM
It's optional, but when I was in school it was usually something small, usually a $10-$20 gift certificate to a favorite restaurant.

clausjo
05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
We were thinking about this over the weekend. We've started growing our own herbs and veggies (tomatos, cucumber) and thought giving a small plant would be something nice and different. The kids are going to decorate the pots and make the garden sign to say what's in there. We try to think of different things each year. I'm sure the teachers get a bit tired of the "#1 Teacher" things.

Georgesgirl1
05-10-2010, 09:25 PM
My favorite gift that I have gotten as a teacher I got the year DH and I bought our house. The family gave me some gardening tools, seeds, etc. with a note that said, "You've helped our daughter grow this year. Here are some things to help the garden grow at your new house." It was so sweet and thoughtful and I have kept the card to this day (this was 5 years ago).

IloveDisney71
05-11-2010, 09:20 PM
We were thinking about this over the weekend. We've started growing our own herbs and veggies (tomatos, cucumber) and thought giving a small plant would be something nice and different. The kids are going to decorate the pots and make the garden sign to say what's in there. We try to think of different things each year. I'm sure the teachers get a bit tired of the "#1 Teacher" things.

While we do appreciate the thought, we do get tons of #1 Teacher things, especially mugs (and for those of us that don't drink coffee...I always feel bad giving those away but I don't need them). Gift cards to Wal-mart/office supply stores are good because we can buy things for our classrooms. The simple things can mean the most - cards, letters, or a small gift card toward your teacher's favorite hobby make good gifts too. :thumbsup:

Tink#64
05-18-2010, 12:27 AM
We always give the teachers a thank you card and a small gift. We've have been very blessed and think that we have had some amazing teachers that my children will reap the rewards that those teachers have sewn for years to come! Our gifts are usually small tokens of appreciation, but my favorite to give (maybe because I enjoy receiving) is a small flowering plant in a pretty planter! This year I went with sets of frosted votives with an applique flower & scented tea light candles! We really just want them to know that we appreciate all of their time, hard work and patience! :thumbsup: