PDA

View Full Version : SNL- Betty White

In my dreams
05-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Ok- so I'm close to 50 and The Mary Tyler Moore Show was a "must see" for me way back when. SNL was too. But I have to confess I haven't stayed up to watch an entire SNL show in ages. Then I heard Betty White was hosting on Mother's Day weekend. :) I had to watch!

She was absoultely wonderful:thumbsup: (you rock lady!)

I told my 17 yr old after the first skit "if Betty White can stay up this late, so can I"

AND I'M SO GLAD I DID:D

SBETigg
05-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Betty White is amazing. She made it a great show.

I'm a little disappointed that the writers seemed to think it was funny to have an older woman say bad words, and that was about all they could do with her. Once or twice, funny. Every skit? Come on, writers, let's get more creative. But she made it work because she's Betty White, and she's awesome.

I loved seeing all the great female cast members from the past, too. It reminds you how a few good women can really make the show. Maya Rudolph, Ana Gasteyer, Rachel Dratch, Molly Shannon, Fey and Poehler, I miss them. Wish they could bring them all back!

Disney4us2
05-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I only saw a little part of it. What I did see was cute. She is amazing to still be working in her 80's.

TheMartellFamily
05-09-2010, 02:24 PM
It was great and I laughed a lot It was great to see a lot of cast members that are not longer regulars. It was one of the best shows I have seen in a really long time.

McLiberal8
05-09-2010, 02:43 PM
I am in my 20's, so I don't know much about Betty White's career beyond The Golden Girls. What I do know, though, is that she became popular with my generation based off of the Comedy Central Roasts she has attended - we know her as the old, sweet lady that doesn't mind having a bit of a potty mouth :) To me, it's part of her character!
I thought she did great - and to see the Delicious Dish ladies/'REALLY!? With Seth and Amy' again made my night!

PirateLover
05-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I caught some of the clips online and I am just amazed. She is probably one of the best hosts they've had in a long time.

BrerGnat
05-09-2010, 06:37 PM
What I do know, though, is that she became popular with my generation based off of the Comedy Central Roasts she has attended - we know her as the old, sweet lady that doesn't mind having a bit of a potty mouth :) To me, it's part of her character!
I thought she did great -

Yep! That's so true. It wouldn't be REAL Betty White comedy without a bunch of bad words thrown in.

She's sort of like Bob Saget. Rated "G" to the masses...not so much to those "in the know."

SBETigg
05-09-2010, 07:48 PM
I know Betty White's usual humor. It just seemed to be overkill to me. She's known for other great comedy, too. I think they could have done more with her than use that one aspect of her character for practically every skit she was in. But, like I said, she was awesome and it made the show work.

PirateLover
05-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Sherri, I get what you're saying. I went back and watched the whole show and in each skit she does seem to say a "bad" word, or something totally "shocking" to hear from an elderly woman. Not everyone knows that side of her humor, and it probably was a bit of an overkill. She did great, though.

Pagan
05-10-2010, 06:53 AM
If you think that was overkill you should watch her in the movie "Lake Placid". ;)

diz_girl
05-11-2010, 01:18 PM
If you think that was overkill you should watch her in the movie "Lake Placid". ;)

I loved her in Lake Placid. Too bad I missed the show. I forgot to tape it.:mad:

NotaGeek
05-11-2010, 01:34 PM
I loved her in Lake Placid. Too bad I missed the show. I forgot to tape it.:mad:
It's available On Demand if your cable company offers the service...

SBETigg
05-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Some of the deleted skits are available now, too. I watched them on Hulu. I thought the dress rehearsal scenes were better than the ones they used on the show.

And the USA Today review of the show agreed with my opinion that she was awesome and made the show, but that the writers relied too heavily on that one aspect of her character.

JanetMegan
05-16-2010, 10:01 AM
I finally got to watch this this week and I thought it was really good, except I watched with my mother and parts of it were a little embaressing ;)