PDA

View Full Version : 100 Little Details about the Parks You Love!

darthmacho
05-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Help me start my 100 day countdown to my WDW trip by reminding me of all the little details that we love about the parks. I suppose you could include the resorts too, if you really feel so inclined! Remember, the more specific the detail, the better!

Here's my example:
At the entrance to Splash Mountain is Brer Rabbit, hobo pack slung over shoulder, gazing out his window, dreaming of adventure. I know that because you can tell just by looking at his face!

That's just one. List as many as you'd like.

Let's see if we can get 100+ responses!

Gator
05-07-2010, 04:44 PM
I really love the fact that all the Epcot World Showcase Pavillions are employed with people from those countries. It just makes it that much more authentic.

SBETigg
05-07-2010, 04:47 PM
I love all the explorer artifacts as you wend your way through the queue at Expedition Everest. The Yeti drawings, the journals, the shelves of books, the camping gear stowed in various areas, the hint that something didn't go quite right, and the danger of the yeti ahead. It really sets the mood.

lettripp
05-07-2010, 04:52 PM
I love the splatter and remnants of the Muppets' paint job by Muppetvision 3D in Disney Studios.

DisneyLuver91
05-07-2010, 05:04 PM
I have two:

1. I love the key under the mat at Muppet Vision 3D. It is just one of those fun little extras that the Imagineers added.

2. The fountain of Cinderella in the Magic Kingdom. If you are leaning down to get a drink from the fountain or are a small child, there is a painting above Cinderella that makes her look like she is wearing a crown. It really took thought and care to do this.

T-Belle
05-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I love the smell of the Poly lobby!

tsantillo
05-07-2010, 05:32 PM
I love Mr. Toad's tombstone in the Pet Cemetery at the exit for Haunted Mansion. His "Wild Ride" will live on in our hearts forever.:cry:

disneymom15
05-07-2010, 05:38 PM
I love all the larger than life childhood toys in the queue of Toy Story mania.

dobby2010
05-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I love the window that looks out to lady and the tramp in the alley sharing spaghetti on the way to the restrooms in Tony's restaurant.

I also really love the dancing fountains at Epcot:mickey:

ColeeC
05-07-2010, 06:09 PM
All the Yeti postings at AK...my kids were so worked up over the possibility of one running loose through the park!

disneygirl87
05-07-2010, 06:19 PM
I love in the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh how you can see Mr. Toad handing the deed to the property to Owl. Also, that Pooh's Thotful Shop smells like honey.

DisneyLuver91
05-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Just thought of another.

The Electrical Water Pageant. That is one of the only things that has remained unchanged since the park opened. Pure magic.

olivegirl
05-07-2010, 07:00 PM
I LOVE standing in line for Everest and ringing the various bells that are overhead! FUN!!:mickey:

olivegirl
05-07-2010, 07:02 PM
I love the entrance music to Epcot!!! Sooooo exciting!!

crltkcagle
05-07-2010, 07:10 PM
I love the sights and sounds of Main Street! Watching a child's face light up the first time they see the castle. I always tell my husband I wish we could live in a small little town like Main Street!

Capt_redshirt
05-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I love in the Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh how you can see Mr. Toad handing the deed to the property to Owl. Also, that Pooh's Thotful Shop smells like honey.

Where is that image of mr toad and owl? is it in the ride ?

Pirate Granny
05-07-2010, 07:53 PM
I love watching my grandchildren play in the lights that are embedded in the sidewalk outside of Innovations at EPCOT...priceless.
:pirate:

AXOAlum
05-07-2010, 08:57 PM
I love watching Tink fly at the opening of Wishes! (5 days and counting!!!!!)

PopeCharming
05-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I love how every Epcot pavillion- both Future World and World Showcase- and most rides everywhere else- have their own unique cast costume that complements the attraction's theme.

cetacean01
05-07-2010, 09:17 PM
I love when my son sees Tink fly out of the castle.....he always hopes some pixie dust will get him and he can go with her to neverland!!!

cer
05-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I love the fountain 'show' at Epcot....

Love the laughing place in Splash Mountain especially the 'spitting fountains' in there...last trip they weren't working...:(

Briansmom
05-07-2010, 10:05 PM
How about in the alley off the right side of Main Street.....standing under the window and hearing the 'dance class' and 'singing lessons' in session; and listening to the phone and hearing the conversations on the party line.

And then there's DeVine in AK.....she's awesome!

Ahhhhh......I just love WDW, don't you?? :cloud9:

cer
05-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Oh, the umbrella 'in the rain' on the Streets of America at Disney Hollywood Studios...just like "Singin' in the Rain"

DisneyLuver91
05-07-2010, 10:28 PM

As soon as you enter the car, you are whisked off to owl's house during the blustery day. From the start of the ride, look to the left and it's in the house! It's quick, so you may miss it. (Darn, you'll have to go back on! :thumbsup:)

mickclub1955
05-07-2010, 11:11 PM

Yes,It's on the wall in Owls house. On the left when you enter.

mickclub1955
05-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I love the five legged goat on the elevator shaft at the Contemporary, and the glass and gold murals that tell the story of Cinderella in the Castle.

azcavalier
05-07-2010, 11:16 PM
I love that in the Haunted Mansion that they actually put little mantles on *every* *single* lightbulb in the place to make it seem like they are using gas lighting instead of electric.

I love the quality of the street performers...from the various bands down to the magician on the Boardwalk.

Tink#64
05-08-2010, 12:12 AM
We love finding Hidden Mickey's! What clever Imagineer came up with that idea? :mickey:

It may not be considered a Hidden Mickey, I just loved the lights on the ceiling or canopy of the boat that we rode from the Wilderness Lodge over to the MK, it seemed like hundreds of Hidden Classic Mickey's! :cloud9:

Bobby T
05-08-2010, 02:19 AM
I love the "Coming Attraction" posters underneath the Main Street Railroad Station.

Fastpasssteve
05-08-2010, 02:34 AM
I love the spitting Tiki Gods in Adventureland!

debandbub
05-08-2010, 07:17 AM
The music in the parks...if I close my eyes and listen to it, I can imagine myself right there.
Also- the movie posters in the queue in "It's Tough To Be a Bug"- pretty clever!
Have fun on your countdown!

TheVBs
05-08-2010, 08:35 AM
One of my favorite details is the walk around the Magic Carpets ride. It has all sorts of things imbedded in it, like jewels, that I love to check out.

Now that I've said that, I realize that I've never even taken a picture of it. I'll have to get one on the next trip! :mickey:

WDWNut02
05-08-2010, 08:46 AM
I like how the desert scene on Living with the Land smells like pizza:chef:

ryca1dreams
05-08-2010, 08:51 AM
I love looking for these. One of my favorites is the big band music playing in the lobby of the Tower of Terror. The whole lobby is done really well.

mainemajor
05-08-2010, 10:13 AM
I love the smell of popcorn on Main St. USA. It gets me so excited.

TikiLounger
05-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I love pulling the rope outside the Indiana Jones show and listening to the "archeologist" chastise me for doing it!

CU Tiger
05-08-2010, 02:48 PM
I love looking for the paint brushes on Tom Sawyer's island and getting the free fastpass!:mickey:

Pop Centurion
05-08-2010, 03:37 PM
The smell in the dark ages burning scene on SE. Certain BBQ sauces that use liquid smoke flavoring have the same smell and remind me of it.

IloveDisney71
05-08-2010, 06:22 PM
I always look for Cinderella's horse on her carousel. It's the only horse on the carousel with a gold ribbon on its tail. :princess:
It's pretty easy to find but it's not as easy to find it without somebody already sitting on it so I can ride it. :blush:

Scorpiosammy
05-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I love the monorail ride into Epcot; its a nice way to tour Epcot while resting your feet ;)

I love the CM's enthusiasm for the role they are playing that day. It really can make your visit extra special.

I love Disney's emphasis on family.

I love how the Hollywood Tower Hotel really looks like an abandoned hotel - even the dust is carefully arranged ;)

I love how after all these years, they are still looking for the one to make the 1,000 happy haunts complete. I volunteer every visit but no luck yet ;)

I love how the Rock'N'Rollercoaster really feels like you are flying down a freeway. Even when you are sitting in the alley waiting to "roll" it feels authentic =)

I love how you can smell the embers as Rome burns in Spaceship Earth.

I love Disney World cupcakes from the Main Street Bakery. They must taste better from all the pixiedust baked in ;)

I love the Electrical Light Parade; most notably we had to curtsy for the Queen of Hearts, and received a cannon and sword salute from Captain Hook (yay!) ^_^ :cloud9:

I may stand alone but, I even love to put the TV on the resort channel that tells park hours, etc and listen to the music while we get ready ;)

That's all for now, I may add more later :D

waymickey
05-09-2010, 09:45 AM
1. I love the smell and music in the wilderness lodge and the stone fireplace with "fossils" in the stone as you go up the floors.
2. I love old faithful at WL.
3. I love the lawnmower tree at FW.
4. I love playing in the jumping water at imagination.
5. I love the benches in Animal kingdom so bright and comfy!

kcrc
05-09-2010, 11:54 AM
My favorites...

- Hearing the Spectromagic music before you can even see the parade. No matter where I am in the park when I hear it, I just have to pause and listen for a moment.

- The smell of the apple pie in Mickey's Philharmagic. (We have to get apple cinnamon air fresheners at home to mimic the aroma!)

- The smell of the orange groves in Soarin' (ditto the air fresheners for this one too)

- All of the small activities present in the two Innoventions buildings at Epcot. When we're busy, we seem to fly right by these buildings. But, when we've had time to go in and explore, we've really enjoyed visiting the stations! Last time we did the Hook and Loop (aka Velcro) show and it was great. Kids got called up on stage. We got called up on stage. It was a short 10 - 15 minute show, but it was very entertaining! (Great when really hot out or raining!)

- Early mornings at the Polynesian. Going outside when the World is waking up - and hearing the boat horns, seeing the castle and Space Mountain. Probably my favorite time of day.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's a start!

McLiberal8
05-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I may stand alone but, I even love to put the TV on the resort channel that tells park hours, etc and listen to the music while we get ready

You are SO not alone! I do the exact same thing!

I would say my fave would be the entire queue for Tower of Terror. I love walking through that lobby - it really transports you into the ride. IMHO, that is one of the best themed rides at the parks.
I also love the music in the queue for Space Mountain. It's so soothing! Makes me feel like i'm in the relazing abyss of outerspace :)
The intro video for Mission:Space is also one of my faves. Gary Sinise will always be 'Ted' from Apollo 13 to me. It really gets me revved up for the ride!

mouse2508
05-09-2010, 03:22 PM
a couple more:
1 - theming on the RNR, esp. the recording company (G-Force Records)
2 - Chef Mickey for breakfast
3 - Train Ride around MK

Only 12 days until we're home :D

plutosnana
05-09-2010, 03:30 PM
The music of everything! When walking in everywhere i cant help but skip! And the smell in Mickey's Phillhar magic!:mickey:

darthmacho
05-10-2010, 08:51 AM
What wonderful responses! I've read every one of them, and I've even learned a few new things I didn't know.

Another great detail is the unique themed Future World architecture. Though I thought the original set of buildings was best, I guess you can't fault the structures of Test Track and Mission Space as far as the theming goes. My favorite is still the Imagination Pavilion, even though the attractions inside are getting a little dated. If they ever change them, i hope they don't tear down the building or change its facade!

allirae
05-10-2010, 09:44 AM
I love lingering in Epcot after the mass exodus from Illuminations. The music, the fountains in the various countries all lit up, the ambience. Just strolling and soaking it all in without hustling to exit. Ahhh...

c&d
05-10-2010, 09:55 AM
I love the "sparkles" in the ground at Epcot when you're leaving at night.

I love watching the entrance to the MK, when a monorail and boat unload at the same time. You can feel the excitement in everyone heading towards the entrance.

I love finding new animals in the tree of life when heading to tough being a bug.

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-10-2010, 11:41 AM
I love doing little things that most people dont know about like finding and sitting on the bench with a wooden leg named Smith. (Think Marry Poppins)

Oh and we all LOVE pin trading. Its a great way to interact with CMs and fellow guests.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-10-2010, 11:53 AM
I love that WS in Epcot is a vacation within a vacation, the only way I will get to visit all those countries is tour them at the World.:cloud9:

clausjo
05-10-2010, 12:24 PM
I love doing little things that most people dont know about like finding and sitting on the bench with a wooden leg named Smith. (Think Marry Poppins)

I've never even heard of this!!! Where can I find it?

Okay, here goes mine - I love the music and smell when you walk down Main Street. Of all the things, that makes me think of when I was a kid going to the MK and actually being a happy, non-argueing family for a while. I still can't help having a huge smile when I experience it. :mickey:

BigThunderFan
05-10-2010, 02:05 PM
I love riding Big Thunder Mountain at night and seeing the saloon in the flooded town lit up with a party going on upstairs!

Also, waking up early at Wilderness Lodge. Seeing the mist on the water, and the ducks in the pool. Most magical part of the day.:cloud9:

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Last time I found the bench with a wooden leg named smith it was located in the Lost and Found area of the Frontierland Station. We forgot to look for it durring our last trip, so im not sure if its still there.

But if you are a Mary Poppins fan like I am, I am pretty sure that the carosel horses they rode in the movie (copies im sure) are on the carosel in Fantasyland.

On a seperate note, I just watched Darby O'Gill and the Little people last night again. I wish they had something in the parks to pay tribute to that movie. Its another fav of mine.

Giggy
05-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Like other people have said the funny details are great. One is the plants in Mickey's Toontown Fair. I think it is in Minnie's house where there is a tree with leaves shaped like hands (a "palm" tree!) and some flowers with Daisy's head in the middle (you can figure that one out) that always make me laugh.

I've heard of the wooden leg named smith in Frontierland's train station, will try and remember to look for it next time.

dream6
05-10-2010, 07:34 PM
I love the fountain over by Imagination in Epcot. Instead of the water falling down, it's jumping up! ;) A very Figment thing to do! Plus the lights at night make it so pretty to look at.

Tink#64
05-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I may stand alone but, I even love to put the TV on the resort channel that tells park hours, etc and listen to the music while we get ready ;)

That's all for now, I may add more later :D

:funny: Oh my gosh! You are so not alone! I'm addicted to WDW resort TV when we're there! I love Stacey and her top 7! I don't even know if she's still one, but when my guys are asleep, I watch the WDW resort channel, & I love it all! What a hoot! I thought I was the only one! :high5:

Skippy
05-11-2010, 06:30 AM
The look of the castle as it changes colors. Almost as if it's mood changes.

The music and how it sets the atmosphere and mood.

The amount of storyline detail the imagineers go into for authenticity on something that didn't happen, such as the back story of the Hollywood Tower Hotel, the tracks in the ground of Sunset Blvd. etc

DNS
05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
I love the detail in all of the architecture in Africa at Animal Kingdom. As well as the trees and plant life.

Mickey and friends fishing in a pond at AK.

Also the snake fountains at Epcot.

cardinalsfan_98
05-11-2010, 02:28 PM
One of mine is located in RnR. As you enter the G-Force Records building where the doors have the marbles in them, on the ceiling there is a giant gold record with G-Force Records on it. Pretty cool...

BBrinkman
05-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I love that feeling you get of walking into the Magic Kingdom for the first time on your trip.

Michelle15
05-11-2010, 03:15 PM
I love flying on soarin and almost getting hit with the golf ball or when your flying over the orange trees and smelling the citrus. I can just imagine it right now :) :mickey:

Totodog
05-11-2010, 03:34 PM
I know one of the little things I USED to love doing was looking at the bottom of the directory in TOT and seeing the fallen letters spell out EVIL TOWER - U R DOOMED

have no clue why they took those out but its been gone for a few years now.

Totodog
05-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Oh yeah..thought of a few more:

1. Finding the old HORIZONS symbol in Mission: Space
2. Finding the Viking in the boat wearing Mickey Mouse ears on the Maelstrom Mural
3. When approaching the Wilderness Lodge docks at night and finding the 'bear face'
formed by the back of the building.
4. Getting a Happy birthday phone call from Goofy at American Adventure.
5. How the walls in the Muppet theater crumble after the finale (A tribute to all nations but mostly America!)
6. How Leota's eyes pop open on her tombstone outside the Haunted Mansion.
7. Right before you board the boats in Pirates....you can hear them digging back in the cave.
8. "Por favor, mantenganse alejado de las puertas"

Michelle15
05-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Oh and I also love getting my mint chocolate ice cream from the ice cream parlor right before wishes! And then wait for Main Streets lights to go out and hear everyone's gasps. LOVE IT! :thumbsup:

Mitzie
05-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I asked DH his detail. It is actually one from my fav. Epcot. He likes when all the torches around the lake are lit and the narrator starts talking, then right before the show is to begin for Illuminations, someone 'blows' out the torches all at once...so cool.

DNS
05-12-2010, 04:40 PM
As I read these, it is not hard to realize why we all love WDW so much! Just reading makes me want to go back.

McLiberal8
05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
As I read these, it is not hard to realize why we all love WDW so much! Just reading makes me want to go back.

Just breathing makes me want to go back. lol

Gator
05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
One of my favorites is going to Star Tours at night. If you walk into the forest area where the fast pass stations are, you can hear Ewoks talking, singing, and chanting. It's pretty cool.

IrishMickey
05-13-2010, 05:53 PM
I love the flowers, they are always so perfect!
I love the smell of Main Street, POTC, and churros baking. I love sitting on Main Street people watching, it is a blast seeing peoples faces and oohs and aahhs. Love love love it :mickey:

Anthony007
05-13-2010, 06:16 PM
-The damp and cool smell when you enter POTC.

-Rome in SE

-The girl on the TV that goes over the top 5 or 10 disney attractions. Even when we're resting it feels exciting

:mickey:

plutosnana
05-13-2010, 06:37 PM
LATE NIGHT SNACKS!!!! Sooo good after fireworks! And hey your on vacation!!! You can eat!

mjm12000
05-14-2010, 05:26 PM
I love the miniature futuristic city you see on the TTA, it reminds me of the movie "logan's Run"

cer
05-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I know one of the little things I USED to love doing was looking at the bottom of the directory in TOT and seeing the fallen letters spell out EVIL TOWER - U R DOOMED

have no clue why they took those out but its been gone for a few years now.

I am not sure if this is rumor or fact, but I heard somewhere that this was removed after 9/11.

cer
05-14-2010, 05:30 PM
I love flying on soarin and almost getting hit with the golf ball or when your flying over the orange trees and smelling the citrus. I can just imagine it right now :) :mickey:

Love the hidden mickey on the golf ball...

ANG
05-15-2010, 09:12 PM
*The chocolate covered Mickey ears ice cream bars.

*The opening scene for the Haunted Mansion when the room is "stretching"

*The many street performers at HS

*Driving thru the "Disneyworld Magic Kingdom" sign for the first time on your trip.

*In the fall, the hedges and floral arrangements that look like Disney characters.

*The looks on the TOT attendants faces (they really make the mood for me)

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
05-15-2010, 09:53 PM
- PUSH, the talking trash can
- Beverly
- the unique exit sign in the movie staging queue area in The Great Movie Ride

jmj18
05-15-2010, 10:17 PM
I love the footsteps on the stairs in the Haunted Mansion!

:mickey:

darthmacho
05-20-2010, 06:05 PM
:mickey: okay, i just re-read the replies for the umpteenth time. You all did a really good job. I know this is really greedy, but I'm bumping this up because I'm hoping to get more responses. I just can't get enough!
Only on Intercot can you get such vivid details that you feel like you are there!

CardCollector
05-21-2010, 11:07 AM
There is a lot already stated in this tread that I have always liked, but one that has been listed is:

In Peter Pan when you first start out and you are flying over the city, I like looking down and seeing the cars driving down the streets.

TheVBs
05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Even though we only do this about every other trip, I do love the details in the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. Another favorite of ours are all of the little things left around the Bonyard that look like they were left behind during an excavation. And the booming, roaring dino footprints.:mickey:

Septbride2002
05-21-2010, 06:04 PM
For you Mary Poppins fans if you head to the back of the gift shops in the WS in England you can find her carpet bag and the lamp she pulls out of it.

I also love resort TV and have a tendency to watch it on You Tube when I'm having a Disney withdrawl moment.

I love that my daughter's first haircut was at the barbershop on Main Street USA.

~Amanda

thejens
05-21-2010, 10:19 PM
I love

sitting by the pool at the AKL watching the flamingos and giraffes and gazelles and other wildlife.

sitting outside innovations in Epcot, watching the fountains, admiring the beautiful grounds.

at AK in the morning listening to the animals (orangatans?) hoot and howl and swing from the bamboo near the Yeti ride

forgetting I am in a water park while I admire the orchids as I drift down Typhoon Lagoon's lazy river...

Jim&AngieMarriner
05-22-2010, 08:18 AM
This is getting to be one of my Fav threads.

I was thinking of great things and trying to come up with one that hadnt been mentioned and I got one finally. I love how the Face Characters and other live "characters" stay IN character so well.
Here is a great example. Dec 08 we hit MK for our first park and the first thing I see after crossing under the rail station is Mary Poppins!! Mary is my favorite character other than Maleficent (would LOVE to meet her). So I RUN over to her and it was so great. She took my arm and we went for a short stroll around the Town Hall area. The entire time she was Hummin "Its a Jolly Holliday". :cloud9: The only way it could have been better is if some penguins had came out and served us an ice cream.

Another thing I remeber but havent seen in a while was when the grounds keepers would clean something up using a wet broom they would "paint" a mickey head on the pavement with the water. I just loved that.

Joannelet
05-22-2010, 08:51 AM
The fact that a little one can wake up Tinkerbell in her store :)

and I love the heart with Lady and the Tramp's paws in it outside of Tony's Restaurant :)

MushuGrl
05-23-2010, 01:39 AM
Jim I love your comments on the characters staying so "in" character. They are totally alive for us when we go to WDW! My sister and I are huge villian fans, and when I treated my sister to CRT on her 45th birthday, she carefully planned her outfit to make sure she wasn't wearing "villian wear" because she "didn't want to hurt the feelings of ANY of the princesses."

Anyway back on topic....

I love walking away from Sleepy Hollow, standing on the bridge, and staring at the castle. THE perfect spot, because you get the castle, and that magical reflection of it in the water. It's almost like you've walked into a painting.

AmandaChan
05-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Let me just say that I love this thread and I thought it was a great idea! My husband and I always talk about our favorite details and between the two of us we have a lot..

1. I love the picture of Jim Henson's muppet hanging over the queue area of Muppets 3D Vision. I thought it was a really touching way to remember him. It's not blatant and you probably wouldn't even know it was Jim Henson unless you had seen the muppet before.

2. I also love the key at the 3D Muppet Vision.

3. I love the detailed rock carving in the river under the bridges at DAK. If you just glanced at it you wouldn't see that it was an animal carving, but because you take the time to look at it Disney rewards you with a treat of something special.

4. I love the lights over the market stands in the Mexican pavilion. It really adds to the mood.

5. I feel silly for this I would have NEVER noticed the hanging man in Haunted Mansion had I just been randomly looking up one day. DH didn't even know about it either until I pointed it out to them. No one tells you to look up unless someone mentions it.

6. My husband loves all of the teenage mutant ninja turtle memorabilia at Pop Century in the lobby in the frame. Everything is straight from the 80s-90s.

7. I love the smell of Main street.

8. DH and I have both noticed the details in the walkways at DAK over the bridges. Unless you actually LOOK at the ground you would never notice the bits and pieces of detail in the ground. You would just assume it's asphalt at first glance.

I'm sure there are many more that I can't think of right now.

kcrc
05-23-2010, 01:50 PM
This is getting to be one of my Fav threads.

I was thinking of great things and trying to come up with one that hadnt been mentioned and I got one finally. I love how the Face Characters and other live "characters" stay IN character so well.
Here is a great example. Dec 08 we hit MK for our first park and the first thing I see after crossing under the rail station is Mary Poppins!! Mary is my favorite character other than Maleficent (would LOVE to meet her). So I RUN over to her and it was so great. She took my arm and we went for a short stroll around the Town Hall area. The entire time she was Hummin "Its a Jolly Holliday". :cloud9: The only way it could have been better is if some penguins had came out and served us an ice cream.

Another thing I remeber but havent seen in a while was when the grounds keepers would clean something up using a wet broom they would "paint" a mickey head on the pavement with the water. I just loved that.

This is so true... We were eating breakfast at 1900 Park Fare our last time there. Both Alice in Wonderland and Mary Poppins were right by our table and had to be careful not to bump into each other (they had come around from different angles). As Mary was signing our autograph books, my husband said something to the effect of "Uh-oh - is there going to be a cat fight?" And without missing a beat, Mary replies "Oh no, there are no felines about". It was great. Never even flinched.

Pooshu11
05-23-2010, 09:48 PM
I love the tiki fountains in adventureland and how they spit out water! Speaking of water, call me weird but I LOVE how the water smells in WDW (the fountains, some of the rides that spit out water)!! My family doesn't agree and doesn't care much for that distinct chlorinated smell of the water but it's such an authentic WDW smell, it makes me feel that I have arrived! WDW resort shower water used to smell like that but not anymore...that's ok though.

Mr_Increddieble
05-23-2010, 10:59 PM
I love the music played at the France Pavilion as we walk over the bridge towards the International Pavilion exit to Beach Club. Usually it's our last night and we leave just as everyone is assembling for the fireworks, families eating ice cream, sitting on the bridge entertaining their children, getting their cameras ready. As we walk towards the beach club the fireworks start over our shoulder and people are on the bridge to the Boardwalk, it's a nice spring night, then we get to the Beach Club and the movie is starting and kids are playing in the sand. Ah!

ShanPooh
05-24-2010, 09:16 AM
I love the fountain, benches, lighting, wrought iron fencing, and bricks in the center area of the Jazz Inn at All Star Music. It's just a little nod to New Orleans and it's such a quiet, relaxing spot!

wdwfansince75
05-24-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm a model train nut, and I really enjoy the garden railroad near the German pavilion. I slip over to the gelato cart near Italy, get a pastachio gelato, and enjoy it while looking over the details of the railroad.

Laughin' place
05-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I could easily list 100 things by myself...
For my contribution to your list (have a great trip), I'll add those "little Disney sounds", like the tone the monorail makes before announcements, or the whoosh-clunk of the monorail doors, or the Star Tours tone, or....

A Big Kid
05-28-2010, 08:19 AM
They took away one of my favorites a few years ago. At one time, you could reach inside the Liberty Bell, swing the clapper, and DOING!!!!! make it ring.

A few years ago, they wired it in place where you can no longer ring it. :(

cer
05-28-2010, 10:44 AM
I could easily list 100 things by myself...
For my contribution to your list (have a great trip), I'll add those "little Disney sounds", like the tone the monorail makes before announcements, or the whoosh-clunk of the monorail doors, or the Star Tours tone, or....

Yes! Yes! Love the "whoosh-clunk"!

IamBelle
05-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Yes! I saw this for the first time in August before the Movie It Shake It parade! It was amazing!!
For my contribution to this thread I would say that WDW quality of going on an attraction or seeing a show and noticing something that you have never noticed before...this has happened many times to me...for example in the new enchanted tiki room when one of the birds wonders where another is, it is because that bird is outside...
Also, Club Cool is, for me, a hidden gem. I love going there on a hot day!

(Great thread, btw!)

queenmom9497
05-29-2010, 03:20 PM
The video they play on the Magical Express on the way from the airport to the park. (weird I know) and the voice of the man who speaks on the buses.

forever a child
05-29-2010, 05:28 PM
I love all of the memorabilia and history in One Man's Dream. Makes me wish I could have seen the progress of Walt and his dreams as they happened. It also makes me happy to know that he took risks and dared to dream!:cloud9:

johnO
05-30-2010, 11:04 AM
Love threads like this. Here's some of mine;

The smell of the water as you enter the queue at POTC.

Relaxing ride on a "Friendship Boat."

I too love the resort TV, whether its Stacy or the menu and or park hours channel that play the instrumental disney music.

Meatball sub at "Earl of Sandwhich."

Watching people get angry when I ring a bell in the EE queue.

Breakfast at the Crystal Palace.

Getting my haircut in MK.

The cop that writes tickets for everything inside HS.

Dole whips!

The theming in Pecos Bills.

Smell of the orange groves in soarin'

wildernesslady
05-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Great Thread!

I love walking around World Showcase in the evening.

The first time seeing the Castle on any trip.

The different resort smells when you enter their lobbies.

Walking into the WL and being welcomed home and their great music in the background.

I just love it all.

johnO
05-31-2010, 11:18 AM
The music throughout the parks is crucial.

We love "Club Cool" and trying all the different drinks!

retiredfigment
05-31-2010, 04:48 PM
I love the little touches..For example the imprints of various designs on many of the walkways.

Mitzie
06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
The video they play on the Magical Express on the way from the airport to the park. (weird I know) and the voice of the man who speaks on the buses.

We so love that guys voice on the Disney buses. My kids can almost quote it word for word...'take small children by the hand'...I know I am in my favorite place when I here that guy on the bus!

Dragongirlx
06-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I love soarin' whenever you go over the water I always think I can dip my toes in.
When you are going for a meal in the castle and you are downstairs to get your picture taken if you look up at the beams you can see Jacques and Gus the mice.

IloveDisney71
06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
I love how Disney takes lighting to a new level and can change the whole feel of each park after the sun sets each day.
The AK is beautiful after dark and rides like EE in AK & BTMRR & Splash Mt. in MK take on a different feel at night.
The countries in Epcot are beautiful at night.
I love the way they change the colors on the castle at night and if you are lucky enough and stay until they close the MK you might get to see the "Kiss Goodnight" on the castle. All of these special touches are due to Disney's magical lighting. :mickey:

LVT
06-06-2010, 09:44 AM
I saved this thread until I had a lot of time. I love it. Thanks to you all.
1. Packed buses in the dark heading back to the resort. Some may be cranky, but the usual atmosphere is of comraderie.
2. Bus drivers with spiels, ( on the buses without the automatic speeches).

Renfairwedding
06-06-2010, 01:17 PM
In Magic Kingdom coming out from under the train station onto Main Street is as Walt designed the most magical thing for me. Add the train coming into the station bell ringing and steam puffing that just puts the experience over the top. :magic:

When it comes to cool things on a ride the handicapped entrance to the Haunted Mansion is my favorite. Once you park your chair or scooter they bring you in through the “Servants” entrance. It’s a hallway complete with old style servants call bells and old wall paper. To me its like sneaking getting a taste of what to come making you think maybe you should turn back… :tiptoe:

lioness8978
06-07-2010, 10:13 AM
What a great post!

1. I love everything about Main Street but my favorite is going to the back of the Exposition Hall and resting my feet while watching old Mickey cartoons. There is a an old fashion theater back there. Its the perfect place to enjoy some candy from Main Street Confectionery.

2. I love all of the nautical details in the Harbour House.

3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mickey's house and his yet-unfinished kitchen. I was sad to hear that its leaving :(... They could sell it to me :)

4. I love watching Iago get it tail feathers toasted in the Tiki Room.

5. I love those roasted almonds....hmmmmm :cloud9:

lioness8978
06-07-2010, 10:18 AM
Once you park your chair or scooter they bring you in through the “Servants” entrance. It’s a hallway complete with old style servants call bells and old wall paper.

I was going to post this too! The ride stopped (not a good place for a ride to stop! :scared:)
And we exited this way... It was so neat seeing the old paintings and stuff. I'll never forget it!

amy-rella
07-12-2010, 10:56 PM
I love it when you enter Epcot and walk under SSE, you feel a cool cross breeze just underneath it. I just love SSE with it's journey through communication. I love the white horse running through the street, Rome burning, the operators managing the phone lines, the printing press, the painter on scaffolding, the family watching tv in their living room. SSE was my first ever Disney ride that I experienced so it is naturally my favorite. :mickey:

I love Illuminations and it's soundtrack. It gives me goosebumps everytime I see it in person.

I love all of the park music in general. I have a lot of it on my ipod and listen to it when I need a boost.

Awesome thread!

doombuggygal
07-13-2010, 01:56 AM
I love:

When you are walking in AK heading into Asia and the statue in the foreground of EE matches the peaks of EE.

How even though we know what's coming, we always look scared to death in our photo from Dinosaur.

How I always get teary-eyed when that last verse of Wishes plays.

How my husband tries every time we go the the Laugh Floor to be "that guy".

Riding on the TTA and getting that sneak peek of Space Mountain.

The smell of Rome burning on Spaceship Earth.

Sitting on a bench in HS waiting for Jack Diamond to show up.

I could go on forever I think!!!!

disneymom2000
07-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Oh the things I have thought of while reading this posts. Some of my favs are:

1) The balconies at the resorts. You can sit out after a long day at the parks and just watch the resort in all it's quietness with the lights dimmed and it is beautiful or sit out early in the morning with something to drink just thinking about the coming day and what all you might see.

2) I love to just stare at the Castle when it is decorated for Christmas. That is probably the most wonderful thing I think I have ever seen.

3) I enjoy the tombstones outside the Haunted Mansion with their little quips.

4) The ride on Norway when it looks like you are going down the drop backwards and then it suddenly changes

5) The topiary of Mickey & Minnie holding hands at the end of Main Street USA

6) The little bronze statues of the characters in the courtyard in front of Cinderella's castle

I am so glad I ran across this post because I was needing something to get my heart excited about going. It is so happy and upbeat. I am going to print out this list and take it with me and mark off each one of these things as I see or do it my next trip. This is going to be a fact finding mission. I can't wait.

BigThunderFan
07-13-2010, 12:10 PM
I love it when you enter Epcot and walk under SSE, you feel a cool cross breeze just underneath it. I just love SSE with it's journey through communication. I love the white horse running through the street, Rome burning, the operators managing the phone lines, the printing press, the painter on scaffolding, the family watching tv in their living room. SSE was my first ever Disney ride that I experienced so it is naturally my favorite. :mickey:

Speaking of details inside Spaceship Earth, has anyone ever noticed the game of Mouse Trap set up in the family's living room behind the couch? HA-HA! Wonder what the Boss would think of that? :thedolls: :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
07-14-2010, 01:13 AM
Just being in the parks at dusk. It seems all of the details are highlighted as the sun goes down and the lights come on!

Like many have mentioned the smells are the best details for me. I agree POTC is so distinct I would recognize it anywhere. So is the Great Ceremonial House, especially after a long day in the parks returning via the monorail late at night! Mexico also has a great smell. The perfume in Norway (I buy it every year for my wife so I can smell Epcot LOL). You could blindfold me and I swear I could pretty much tell you where I was at WDW just by my nose.:thumbsup:

hotmouselove
07-14-2010, 01:43 AM
The 'unexpected' surprises on Test Track. No matter how many times we ride it my kids never get bored. It's very cool at night!

The chocolate mickey heads dipped in your dessert.

The best popcorn ever.

The stickers CMs hand out to my kids--they love collecting different ones.

KAJUNKING
07-14-2010, 03:07 AM
I love all the responses and a lot of my favorites have been stated but i love all the visual gags in the pre show of muppets like if you look up youll see "a net full of Jello" (annette funicello) that cracks me up, i also love the smell of rome burning in se, but my #1 thing to do in all of the world (my family may not agree) is to watch the American Adventure and see the Voices of Liberty, considering both as one attraction, it is the single best experience at wdw imho!

Joannelet
07-14-2010, 09:45 AM
I don't know if anyone mentioned it earlier but I love the fact that there are no bathrooms in Liberty Square as there were no bathrooms during that time.....There are bathrooms in Columbia Harbour House but technically where those bathrooms are located it's fantasyland :) I love all the details that went into thinking that out!! :)
I also love the shadow in the upper window in the Haunted Mansion at night. :)
Also the party going on in the saloon in Thunder Mountain RR that can only be seen at night time also :) These little details make it enjoyable and completely different going on them during the day and at night :)

jilwil
07-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Some of my favorites that I have not seen in this thread are:

At MK:

- The "hairy leg" on POTC. (Now that's detail! :pirate:)

At Epcot:

- Pumpkins shaped like :mickey: growing in The Land.

At DHS:

- The hand prints of the Stars in the cement outside the GMR.
- Each Munchkin has his/her own voice when you ride through Munchkin Land on the GMR. It could have been just a recorded chorus of Munchins singing with their mouths moving along, but the Imagineers made each Munchkin an individual. :)
- The way that the waiters/waitresses get into character at 50's Primetime Cafe'.

Miscellaneous:

- A towel animal waiting for me in my resort room.
- Mickey waffles for breakfast. :mickey::tasty::eat:
- Getting a free golf ball with a Disney Character on it when you play mini-golf. :golf:

Disney Doll
07-15-2010, 09:30 AM
I love how the theme is always done 110%. Like in the 50's prime time, so much there reminds me of my grandma's house. Where do they find all that old stuff?

I also love the landscaping at all the parks and resorts. A lot of time and care goes into that and I certainly appreciate it! The views are just gorgeous!

Joannelet
07-15-2010, 01:37 PM
I love how the theme is always done 110%. Like in the 50's prime time, so much there reminds me of my grandma's house. Where do they find all that old stuff?

I know right!! I thought the same thing when I went there...they had a cookie jar that my grandma had...I was so excited to see it there :)

PinKy
07-15-2010, 02:16 PM
I love watching my grandchildren play in the lights that are embedded in the sidewalk outside of Innovations at EPCOT...priceless.
:pirate:

Me too! We always stop to watch them!

PinKy
07-15-2010, 02:18 PM
If you're walking down Main Street - one of the faux shops listed at the top of the building on the right side is for a dance studio and if you walk close by you can hear tap dancing coming from that window!!!

Eric87
07-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I really enjoy the details in Splash Mountain. Especially the sounds and conversations coming from some of the "critters" who inhabit the random trees throughout Brer Rabbit's travels.

Michelle15
07-15-2010, 04:35 PM
I really enjoy the details in Splash Mountain. Especially the sounds and conversations coming from some of the "critters" who inhabit the random trees throughout Brer Rabbit's travels.

Love it :thumbsup: