PDA

View Full Version : Kilamanjaro Safari Animals?

darthmacho
05-06-2010, 12:35 PM
I was told that WDW cut way back on the amount of animals displayed on this ride due to high costs. I was told that there are no large herds anymore, and that you're lucky to see more than one zebra, wilderbeest, giraffe, or elephant per ride because that's just about all they have and that no matter what time of the day you go, it's always the same.

Please, is this really true? What have people that have been there in the past year noticed about the number of animals sighted on this formerly great ride. Are they really down to one elephant? :confused:

Tick-Tock
05-06-2010, 12:52 PM
We rode on Monday and saw several giraffes and other animals on the plains, three different elephants, and five white rhinos all laying down together (including the baby). Several hippos, many crocs, two lions, a couple of warthogs, a couple of ostriches. It was the middle of the day and hot, so I wasn't surprised that just about everyone was in the shade resting.

renecat
05-06-2010, 01:48 PM
We were there last Sept. saw many animals.
I know Disney has done some cut backs, but I don't think it is the Safari.

WDWdriver
05-06-2010, 01:59 PM
It's not true at all. The zebras are not currently "on show" because of behavioral problems, but the rest of the animals are there to be seen every day. The AK Animal Programs staff is extremely proud of their successful elephant breeding program, and you might be lucky enough to see all three baby elephants.

darthmacho
05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
Well, this is great news! Three baby elephants? Wow! I can't wait to see even one! I understand about the zebras, but I wish they had a nice herd of wildebeest to observe. Are there a decent amount of these? Glad to hear the info I got was NOT true. :mickey:

Gator
05-06-2010, 04:50 PM
There are usually 4-5 wildabeasts in the savanah area. I've never seen more than that.

It sound like you got some marketing news from Busch Gardens. Trying to steal you away.

WDWdriver
05-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Well, to me the word "herd" implies a very large number of animals. You won't see that at AK. They do have some wildebeest, but they are likely to be seen in a group of two or three. Other animals along the ride path include antelope, baboon, black rhino, cheetah, crocodile, African elephant, flamingo, gazelle, giraffe, hippo, lion, okapi, ostrich, warthog, and the very endangered white rhino.

Stickey
05-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Other than the evicted zebras, the other animals are in good supply. You will typically see solo and small groups of elephants, multiple giraffes, and white rhinos. Eland, Tommies, and Ankole cattle are on the savannah as well as the animals on the previous list.

Animal activity varies by time of day and weather conditions. We usually go on the KS 2-3 times each day at the AK park.

NewDVCowner
05-07-2010, 12:20 PM
So what's going on with the zebras??? :confused:

Stu29573
05-07-2010, 12:40 PM
So what's going on with the zebras??? :confused:

They fight and pick on other animals....

CU Tiger
05-07-2010, 12:44 PM
When I first read this, it did not make sense to me. If they already have the animals, feed and take care of them, what is the difference in cost of displaying them or keeping them in their storage area? I can understand if DW does not purchase any new animals to save money.:mickey:

NewDVCowner
05-07-2010, 01:10 PM

Ohhhh! BAD zebras!

NewDVCowner
05-07-2010, 01:10 PM
When I first read this, it did not make sense to me. If they already have the animals, feed and take care of them, what is the difference in cost of displaying them or keeping them in their storage area? I can understand if DW does not purchase any new animals to save money.:mickey:

I was thinking the same thing. :secret:

darthmacho
05-07-2010, 04:25 PM

Yes! That's exactly what prompted the question. When my source gave me the information, I was very confused. I came here to get it sorted out because I knew this is where I'd get the straight poop on the real situation. Outside of these forums, I'd say 90% of the "info" people give me about WDW is either partly wrong, or outright misinformation!

magicalmom
05-07-2010, 07:47 PM

Are the zebras in middle school?:mickey:

Stu29573
05-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Are the zebras in middle school?:mickey:

Well, they act like it....

LandFan
05-08-2010, 11:08 AM
zebras are notoriously ornery creatures - they are beautiful but are NOT very nice to anyone but each other. That is why you don't very often see them in circuses and as pets. They may look like horses, but they have nowhere near the nice temperment! Even if you raise them from babies, they just don't seem to want to play nice:D

CU Tiger
05-08-2010, 02:53 PM
A friend of the family actually had two zebras and they were the meanest animal I ever met. They would let you walk up to them and then try to nip or even try to kick you once you got close. They were alway fighting with each other and going after the horses they had. :mickey:

brad192
05-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Maybe a little "Zebra Xanax" would help?;)

crltkcagle
05-08-2010, 09:01 PM
:d rofl!

maybe a little "zebra xanax" would help?;)

ThanxForNoticin
05-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Not only are there not less animals on safari, I would even go so far to say there might be slightly more in the past couple years. With the births of some elephants and giraffes, it's a lot of fun to look for them. There are also plenty of rhinos and hippos. Your reports are very incorrect.

Darbylew
05-08-2010, 09:20 PM
We always see a lot of animals when we are
there no matter what time of day we ride. It
is a great ride and worth the wait. :thumbsup:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK ON
MONDAY, MAY 10!!!!!!! :mickey::D

waymickey
05-09-2010, 09:32 AM
At the safari here in jersey there is a Zebra that has become one of the giraffes. He stays with the giraffe herd . the rest of the zebras are in a different part of the safari. He has een there for over a year.:mickey: