PDA

View Full Version : Boston, MA

MarkC
05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Help please!! We are going to Boston for the first time ever from June 16-19, and are going to a Red Sox game on Thursday. I am a big baseball fan so I'm quite excited about this. We also want so see some history downtown, etc. We are staying in Woburn and renting a car-- both free with frequent traveler points as I travel for business frequently. I've heard parking is bad, etc. Since the rest of the trip is cheap, I don't mind paying for parking. My question is, is parking downtown or close to Fenway even available? If so, how much does it cost?

Anything we should specifically do while there? We'll have a couple of days to sightsee. Thanks a million for any help. Mark

NJGIRL
05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
I can't help you with the parking since we stayed parked at our hotel and just walked around but I wanted to recommend doing the Freedom Trail for your sightseeing time. If you follow the trail it takes you to many of the historic sights in the city. We really enjoyed the tour of the ship. The tour guides are in the military and they were really good (not boring at all). We also ate lunch at the Market and watched the street performs and that was cool.

WelshieLover
05-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I am originally from the Boston area and actually travel a lot up to the Woburn area now for work.

There is plenty of parking near Fenway. It is not cheap but a lot less expensive than parking in NYC. You will see lots around Fenway with game day parking. I am going to say around $20 or so it maybe more but not significantly more. If you get there early enough you may even find some on street parking for no charge.

To do the Freedom Trail park near Quincy Market, which is right off 93. From there you can do the Freedom Trail and visit the North End (excellent Italian food) or go over to the Aquarium.

If you have time do a Duck Tour. Take the subway over to The Musuem of Science and take the tour from there versus going over to their other location near Copley Place where there is a much longer wait.

Boston is a great walking city. You should have a great trip.

If you are staying in Woburn and want to see the route the Minuteman took, take route 128/95 south from Woburn to route 2A west. There is a National Park vistor center not too far up on your right, where you can get maps and information. Driving the route you feel like you are back in 1775, They have done an excellent job of leaving it the way it was. Yet it is so close to Boston.

faline
05-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Looks like you're going to an evening game. Don't underestimate the amount of time it might take you to drive into Boston from Woburn. It is close but, oh, so far away, particularly when traffic is bad! Boston is not a driver friendly city particularly for folks who are not used to all the twists and turns - not to mention a multitude of one-way streets. There is parking in the Fenway area but it is quite pricey and can get even more so during games. Think about taking the commuter rail or driving to Malden and taking the T from there.

There are so many historic sights to see, in and around Boston, it's hard to know where to begin! In Woburn, you will be close to Route 2 and the Minuteman areas already noted. If you head north to Salem, Massachusetts, you have a number of historic areas including the House of Seven Gables and the Witch Museum.

Boston has too many attractions to mention. Fanueil Hall..the Freedom Trail which was already mentioned...historic cemeteries. There are sightseeing trolleys everywhere. There are museums and more. There are segway tours in Boston as well as the already mentioned Duck tours. We have Boson Common and the Public Gardens.

crazypoohbear
05-06-2010, 12:53 PM
If it's a night game
I would recommend the old town trolley (brown and orange) The drivers are full of knowledge about the city, you can get on and off the trolley all day for one price. you will see lots of historic sites.
the duck tours are fun but you can't get on and off like you can with the old town trolley.
Walk the freedom trail, visit Fanueil hall, walk over to the North end for lunch, (like WDW, lunch is much cheaper and less crowded than dinner)
Walk along the waterfront by Rowe's wharf, you will even get to see John Henry's yacht docked there during the season!

You can park at 75 State street, next to fanueil hall, get your ticket validated at Fanueil hall and park all day for about 10.00 on weekends.

During the week you can park behind the barking crab restaurant, across from the Federal court house for about $10.00
You might be able to park at the Prudential center and walk to the game. get there early and shop and wander around the area. Go into the cask and flagon for a drink before the game!
Have a great time
GO SOX

MarkC
05-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm going to take this with us for our trip. I just hope the game doesn't get rained out. I'm a big St. Louis Cardinal fan but I've always wanted to see Fenway. This will be stadium #14-- had not planned on seeing every stadium but now that I'm almost half way done, I'm sure I'll ratchet that up a notch and make a little more effort. Oh yes, and for a kid growing up in Nebraska (who is now 50) I've been able to snag 4 foul/tossed balls, something I never thought I'd do.

rpcwjr
05-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a great trip! And it is NOT easy to get Red Sox tickets so kudos to you. In addition to driving in, Woburn also has a commuter rail. If you check out the MBTA there are some options to taking the train or subway in so you don't have to worry about parking. Might be a bit more of a pain but its another option while you are here. FYI - I actually live in Woburn. With no traffic it takes me about 20 mins driving time into Boston.

Have fun!

MNNHFLTX
05-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Definitely walk the Freedom Trail and you can make a quick side trip to the North End for lunch (or supper). Yum!!!

Hope you enjoy your baseball game. Red Sox fans are a unique bunch--it's almost as fun watching them as it is watching the game!

TinksPixieDust
05-10-2010, 03:26 PM
For the Red Sox game you can park at the Claredon St garage for $9 on game days. If you park after 5pm ... then you basically just put your garage ticket in the machine, but if you had been in the city all day and park there then just go out to the front desk and show them your ticket for the game and they should give you another ticket so it costs $9. Otherwise parking near fenway (if you can even get that close ) can be anywhere from $30 to $50. Depending on what lot you find. Claredon Street is by the John Hancock Tower and the Prudential building. It is about a twenty minute walk. give or take depending on how fast you want to walk (just remember you have to walk back after the game....but theres people everywhere so its not like it is an abandon street) Just an idea if you didnt want to pay an arm and a leg.

High Five for getting tickets. I was online for 5 hours and managed to get a game. yes...just one after 5 hours of being in the dreaded "Virtual Waiting Room"

RedSoxFan
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Yes, you should eat at the Cask & Flagon. Great food and atmosphere. I heard Remy has a place there too (my sister said it was good). Fenway is such a fun place to watch the Red Sox. We have parked at the Prudential and walked to the game. Have a great time.

Mad About Mickey
05-11-2010, 07:08 PM
If you don't want to drive into the city you have several options for getting to Fenway from Woburn.

You can take the Lowell Line commuter train from Woburn, it stops at the Anderson RTC Station which is just west of I 93 exit 37 Commerce Ave. You can park at the station and take the commuter train to North Station. From North Station you can take the green line route C subway to Kenmore Square and it's 2- 3 minutes walk to Fenway.

Anoyher option is drive down closer to the city and take the subway in from Medford's Wellington station. South on I 93 to exit 31 Route 16 East, the station's about a mile and a half on your right. You can take the orange Line inbound to North Station and then take the green line route C to Kenmore Square.

The MBTA has a good web site with routes, times and prices. I live in southren NH and we usually take the subway (known as the T) from Medford. It is 5.50 to park at Wellington Station and the subway is 2.00 per ride with the transfer from the Orange Line to the green line included. If you do take the T I'd leave a bit early as the trains fill up to sardine tin like conditions closer to game time, plus you can take your time with the pubs and shops around the park.

Have a great time at the game and check out Ted Williams statue outside gate B, Go Sox!

MarkC
05-12-2010, 12:10 PM
Wow, this advice is awesome and we're really looking forward to the trip.

I was also stuck in the virtual waiting room trying to get tickets and hitting redial on the phone-- I finally got through after over 100+ attempts. Can't wait.

Getting a little off topic, there are only about 3 original pro stadiums that have a lot of history left-- Lambeau Field, Wrigley Field and Fenway, so this will complete the trifecta for me. There are other great pro stadiums but those three have history the others don't.

BriarRose0708
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
I will be in Boston at the same time as you visiting my boyfriend's family and we are hoping to go to the Thursday night Sox game. Anyway, I echo the other Freedom Trail suggestions, the duck tour and the aquarium. A nice secret is that for $12 you can pay to take the elevator up to the top of the Prudential center. It is all enclosed and offers a 360 view of Boston. You can also pick up a walkman-like device that tells you about historic and interesting facts. There is also a restaurant up there but I haven't been. Quincy market is also a fun place to stroll around a gift shop as well as get lunch.

crazypoohbear
05-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I will be in Boston at the same time as you visiting my boyfriend's family and we are hoping to go to the Thursday night Sox game. Anyway, I echo the other Freedom Trail suggestions, the duck tour and the aquarium. A nice secret is that for $12 you can pay to take the elevator up to the top of the Prudential center. It is all enclosed and offers a 360 view of Boston. You can also pick up a walkman-like device that tells you about historic and interesting facts. There is also a restaurant up there but I haven't been. Quincy market is also a fun place to stroll around a gift shop as well as get lunch.

Just an FYI so you don't sound like a tourist.
Quincy market is an open air market that sells produce and seafood. It is next to Fanuiel hall, which is the buildings with the gift shops and the food places. :D
I still stand by the Old town trolley over the duck tours. The duck tours, you can't get on and off to explore. The old town trolley (you can get your ticket at Faneuil hall) allows you to get on and off at any of its 16 stops all day long. The narration is great and it covers more area and history than the duck tours.