PDA

View Full Version : Is my non stick pan ruined?

luvdiznee
05-04-2010, 06:50 AM
Over the weekend, I put some bacon in it and before I put it in the oven, I brushed some Maple syrup over the bacon. Well, it has been soaking every since then.

I figured with greasy bacon and a non stick it would be easy to clean. Ideas. :cool:

FriendsofMickey
05-04-2010, 07:03 AM
I found this about cleaning a nonstick pan after an oil fire... it might work for you. (worth a shot).

Oil Fire Damage to Non-stick Pan
Whether or not you can salvage a non-stick pan after an oil fire depends on the amount of damage. You can make a paste of baking soda and water and apply it to the pot and allow to sit overnight. Use the paste to scrub it in the morning, and if it seems to be working repeat the process as many times as necessary. You may also want to try soaking the pot with hot water and dishwasher detergent (powder). If neither of these work, you may need to get a new pot.

VWL Mom
05-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Have you tried adding a bit of water to the pan and letting it come to a boil then simmer on the stove? Keep stirring with wooden spoon and this may soften the syrup enough to get it off. Good luck.

SBETigg
05-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Non-stick pans become unsafe very quickly. The coating can come off and get into your food. They're not recommended in high heat situations like broiling or frying. I would chuck the pan. It sounds like the actual coating could be damaged, which means if you cook on it again, you could be serving up harmful chemicals with your food.

Mickey'sGirl
05-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Non-stick pans become unsafe very quickly. The coating can come off and get into your food. They're not recommended in high heat situations like broiling or frying. I would chuck the pan. It sounds like the actual coating could be damaged, which means if you cook on it again, you could be serving up harmful chemicals with your food.
That's exactly what I was going to say. Non-stick pans should only be used to cook eggs, and then wiped clean. If you need to scrub the pan more than that, you have likely damaged the surface, and it will infuse harmful chemicals into your food with the next use. :soapbox:

I recommend getting a new pan.

Jennifer_and_Chris
05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
I recommend getting a new pan as well. If it is a calphalon pan, you can send it in for a replacement pan free of charge for the life of the pan.

We have actually been reading alot lately about how unsafe non-stick pans are for you at any temp. We have switched to tri-ply stainless steel (Calphalon of course because of the lifetime warrantee!).

:thumbsup:

DisneyDog
05-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I have non-stick pans and would like to replace them soon. I want to get good old fashioned stick pans that I don't have to worry about. I want to be able to put them in the dishwasher and use a brillo pan.

Tiggerlovr9000
05-05-2010, 07:01 PM
I have non-stick pans and would like to replace them soon. I want to get good old fashioned stick pans that I don't have to worry about. I want to be able to put them in the dishwasher and use a brillo pan.
Thats why I love my cast iron skillets. It is easy to make them not stick by just making a grilled cheese sandwich.:blush:

DVC2004
05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
I agree- toss it. I buy an inexpensive nonstick from Target every couple years and when it starts to go I just throw it out. I have a great set of All-Clad pans I invested in several years ago that are "regular" so of course those last, and then have the 1 or 2 inexpensive nonsticks for eggs/omelets.

TinksDH
05-06-2010, 07:51 AM
The pan is definitely safe - the coating itself is non-toxic and even if it were to come off and get eaten it won't hurt you. However, the maple glaze may have adhered itself so strongly to the non-stick surface that it may never come off. Sugar gets a lot hotter than water, can retain its heat much longer, and can create localized hot spots that can ruin the coating.

In addition to the baking soda paste and dishwasher detergent paste, you can also try boiling a mixture of vinegar and oil in the pan to see if that breaks up the residue. If too much of the coating has been damaged, some of the non-stick properties may be lost, and/or you may continue to get coating flecks into your food. Again, not dangerous, but not appetizing either!

Jennifer_and_Chris
05-06-2010, 09:03 AM
I disagree about the non-stick coating NOT being bad for you. I have read too much about non-stick coating and possible toxins when researching what set of pans to buy the 2nd time around to trust when someone says "it's totally safe".

But, the OP can do their own research and make their own decision on that. The beauty of forming your own opinion. :thumbsup:

Good luck on your purchase... I recommend Calphalon brand as you'll never have to buy another pan again with their guarantee. We have saved a pretty penny by waiting for it to go on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond and using a 20% off coupon that we seem to get in the mail every other week. They will take an expired coupon and even though it says "can't be used on calphalon" on the coupon fine print, they will take it. I've never had them deny a coupon for any brand - even when pointing out to them that it says excludes calphalon. :thumbsup:

forever a child
05-06-2010, 06:44 PM

I think my cooking will kill us before the harmful chemicals, :funny:

:ambal:

Magic Smiles
05-06-2010, 09:37 PM
I buy the cheap non-stick pans from Ikea. They are so cheap you don't mind tossing them if they get ruined.

I have used baking soda in a bit of water and brought that to a boil. It can work miracles.

BrerGnat
05-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Just wondering...how can the nonstick pans be unsafe if they are made for preparing food? Don't they have to pass safety standards for such things?
I can't imagine how the coating can be so dangerous if it comes into contact with foods all the time at high heat?

And, there ARE nonstick pans designed for frying and high heats. I have a very heavy duty nonstick wok pan that is made specifically for using at high heats. That pan came with a warning to not preheat it empty, as it could cause the pan to emit harmful/toxic VAPORS, but it just cautioned to always heat it with some sort of fat in it (oil, butter, or lard).

SBETigg
05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Just wondering...how can the nonstick pans be unsafe if they are made for preparing food? Don't they have to pass safety standards for such things?
I can't imagine how the coating can be so dangerous if it comes into contact with foods all the time at high heat?

And, there ARE nonstick pans designed for frying and high heats. I have a very heavy duty nonstick wok pan that is made specifically for using at high heats. That pan came with a warning to not preheat it empty, as it could cause the pan to emit harmful/toxic VAPORS, but it just cautioned to always heat it with some sort of fat in it (oil, butter, or lard).

I would suggest to read up on the topic and make your own decisions. The EPA has issued warnings on the non-stick coatings, and especially the danger of high heat on such coatings, for years now. It's up for debate how the coating breaks down and what actually makes it into your food, but the coating that makes it nonstick is not made of things I would knowingly want to ingest, or feed to my kids.

luvdiznee
05-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did the the baking powder AND dishsoap w/water and put it in the over for a bit :secret:and wa-la! All gone. No scrapes or scratches. :marg:Still contemplating it's future though.

TinksDH
05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
SBETigg:

Can you share a link on the EPA warnings that you reference? I don't see anything on the EPA website or in the EPA guidance that suggests they are warning consumers to do anything different regarding fluoropolymer non-stick coatings...

http://www.epa.gov/oppt/pfoa/

They ARE trying to limit use and exposure to certain chemicals used in the production of fluoropolymers, but I don't see where they are telling consumers to do anything different..