PDA

View Full Version : Graduation Parties

Zippy 1
05-03-2010, 02:28 PM
How many of you get invited to graduation parties for people you only know casually? Every year we get invited to numerous graduation parties. Some of this invites are from people we know only in passing from various activities my DD has been in over the years. It is not like they hang out or anything. She doesn't even always get a hello when she sees these people. How do you handle all these? Do you just send a card or nothing at all. I don't want to seem stingy but 6 or 7 graduates every year can get expensive. Especially since DD is a sophmore now and a few of her friends are graduating. Just not sure what to do - I don't want to hurt anyones feelings:confused:

RedSoxFan
05-03-2010, 03:20 PM
I hear you. Seems like you get lots of invites --- so that you'll bring gifts. When DS#2 graduated HS 2 years ago, I went to 4 of them as I was friends of the parents as well. Last year I was invited to a couple for kids on DS#3 basketball team. I really didn't know the kids or the parents and did not go. So it depends. DS#3 graduates in June and I'm sure they'll be some I'll go to and some I won't. It does get expensive.

Ms. Mode
05-03-2010, 03:43 PM
I always look at like they really don't want me at the party, they want my cash at the party. :)

If the invite is from a good friend or the child of a good friend; we send a card and gift. If they are casual "friends" that I haven't heard from in years I just don't respond. :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
05-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Do you or your daughter plan on going to the graduation parties? Unless you have a special relationship with the graduate (such as being their godparent, etc.), I wouldn't think you would be expected to send a gift if you weren't going to the party. But things might vary from region to region. Growing up in Minnesota, graduation parties were mainly for family and relatives, with a few of the graduate's close friends invited too. Here in Texas, it seems that graduation parties are mainly for the graduate and friends to all get together and judging from our neighbor's parties, they can get a little wild! For this reason and because we don't live close to either my husband's relatives or my own, we won't be having a party for my son when he graduates in June. I will send out announcements, but just because we are proud of him--not because we want anyone to send gifts (and will mention that in a handwritten note with the announcement).

pink
05-03-2010, 06:42 PM
If these people don't speak to you in person, then you should not respond. If you know them casually, I would just send a card saying congratulations. If you know them well, go to the party and give a card and some money.

I know that when I graduated high school my parents invited so many people I didn't even know. It was actually kind of embarassing for me because I kept accepting money from people I had never met before! :mickey: