PDA

View Full Version : Do they really love it?

ashburysgr
05-03-2010, 05:44 AM
:mickey:This is in relation to the other post about Disney jobs. I have often wondered if the people who work the rides, lines, stores, hotels, etc... really like their jobs, or is just a job them. I know some people probably do it as a summer job or a temp job.

By the sound of it that the majority really like working there, but how many times can one person say, "Please check your seat for your bag, hats, glases... etc" or on space mountain check all laps belts and press the buttons to send the cars on their way. 2-3 hours max before one goes crazy?

magicalmom
05-07-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm a middle-school teacher. My guess is you can go crazy more quickly by repeating "You need to have a seat and listen to all instructions" every minute or so all day.

Rekenna
05-09-2010, 09:08 PM
I work with someone who drove the trams in the parking lot at AK for a summer job while in college. He said he loved it and it was one of the best experiences he's ever had (and we both work for a very good company now). He is from Costa Rica and his english is flawless, he attributes it to his time at AK. He said he lost 11 lbs. that summer from sweating-we all know how hot it is at AK!:mickey:

divinedi
05-11-2010, 01:57 PM
I vaguely remember reading on the boards here that for those that work the rides, they switch off every hour to do a different job, specifically for that reason, so they don't get bored and therefore get distracted and possibly not run the ride properly. Seemed like a good idea to me, as mentioned, it would get really old very quickly!

lettripp
05-11-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm a middle-school teacher. My guess is you can go crazy more quickly by repeating "You need to have a seat and listen to all instructions" every minute or so all day.

I totally sympathize (I'm a middle school teacher, too), but I feel like it is easier when the kids (and adults) actually WANT to be there than it is in school.

I have known CMs who loved and others who hated their jobs. I think the reality is: the hours are tough, the pay is minimal, it is hot and humid and it is hard to portray the "happiest place on earth attitude" when you do the same thing over and over again.

Wadeace
05-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I once had a conversation with a CM who was a special tour guide for the parks.

He said that asking if CMs like their job is like asking if an employee at any other company loves their job. You will always have the people that hate being there and the people that cant wait to start their shift. Of course for some people it will be nothing more than just a job. With a company like Disney you are looking at the largest single site employer in the United States. With that many people you will always have a varied amount of opinions. For every 100 people you ask about working for the company you will get 100 different responses.