PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Disney

dtootsie42
05-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Ok, hopefully some of the great folks at Intercot will be able to help me out. My daughter is thinking of auditioning for a position with disney at the Hong Kong park. She has searched and searched and cannot find out if it is necessary to know the language? She thought it would be awful for a young child to come running up talking a mile a minute and not understanding any of the words. Would anybody have any info? Thanks.

magicalmom
05-07-2010, 09:30 PM
When we were in Hong Kong some years ago (pre-Disneyland) English was one of the two official languages. (Cantonese Chinese being the other) I do not know if this has changed since.

ILoveLegos
05-08-2010, 01:50 AM
If working in China is something that your daughter is serious about making a career of, it is never too late to learn a new language... it just takes time, effort and a lot of humility. :blush:

Two of my good friend have learned Mandarin Chinese well enough to converse & teach others in about a 1.5 years. They can mingle freely in our local Chinese community.

I'm pretty much conversant in Japanese (about 3 years) but I'm also trying to be literate, so it is taking me longer. I have excursions planned within our Local Japanese Community this summer to test my abilities before my upcomming trip to Asia.

We are all doing independent study and are not part of a formal classroom style curriculum. Our ultimate goal is too use our skills as Bible education volunteers in our community.

Keep in mind though, if Hong Kong Disneyland is considering your daughter without the ability to speak Mandarin or Cantonese, then the language barrier is not a problem. Remember that only "face" characters speak in Disney Parks.

Hope this helps!