PDA

View Full Version : Going TO Epcot 8 weeks after back surgery

Daisy'sMom
05-01-2010, 08:02 PM
We are heading over to Epcot next Saturday for the day. I haven't been there for a few months due to the fact that I had a spinal fusion 8 weeks ago. DH has promised to walk slow, I had to beg to convince him I had to see the Flower and Garden Show. I am using a cane, but does anyone have any suggestions for me. Thanks:mickey:

divinedi
05-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Could you rent an ECV for the day, or a wheelchair? Or would that be more painful, sitting for any length of time?

Superzeus84
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Suggestions??? Yeah dont do Test Track or Mission space.:thedolls:

Superzeus84
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Beyond that I am sure you will have a great injury free time,

Joannelet
05-01-2010, 10:18 PM
One year my hubby had major knee surgery before we went.
We just walked A LOT slower and tried to relax more often.
We should have rented a wheelchair for him but didn't.....
If you can, I would try to do something like that unless that is more painful for you.

Genie1953
05-02-2010, 01:56 AM
I agree....wheelchair or scooter for the day. There is so much to see and do during the Flower and Garden Festival that there is no way you can see everything in one day especially if you have to walk slow.

DizneyRox
05-02-2010, 04:44 AM
Epcot is a two day park for healthy people. I would pick a few things and then call it a day.

Disney4us2
05-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Six weeks after my back surgery I was itching to go back to Disneyland.... and so I did. I rented an ECV which was a life saver.

However, I felt every bump, every stop while driving it. I felt every movement on the attractions as well. Even the Fantsyland ones. I never realized how much the attractions shake you up. Inspite of that. I couldn't stay away and went back a couple of weeks later:blush:

beksy
05-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Mom has had several back surguries (one was last week) so I have a little experience. With her we have found that renting a wheelchair or ECV is key. You are going to feel the bumps though. I would suggest taking some kind of cushion along, either to sit on or put behind your back or something. Mom has found that just having a pillow is enough to give some relief. Still plan to go slow and take plenty of rest stops. Oh, we always rent an ECV out of the parks and have never had a problem with security with her bringing a pillow or other cushion in with her. She is always already using it. Have fun!

CardsFan81
05-03-2010, 09:00 PM
I'd really recommend an ECV. At least you'd have it if you need it. You can also get up and roam around some.

As far as rides are concerned, luckily outside of Test Track and Mission Space, most are pretty tame (physically), but still fun.

Beware of Spaceship Earth. While it's a slow moving ride, the descent may put a lot of pressure on your back. Just a thought.

Best of luck with your trip.

:mickey:

disneymom2000
05-05-2010, 10:53 PM
I went in 2007 and my back surgery occurred a few months prior to my visit and I was miserable even though it was first time to go at Christmas. I refused to get an ECV or wheelchair because I didn't want people looking at me funny. I am a little overweight and know how people talk about that when they see people on an ECV, however, I am going back this Christmas and I am not going to let my pride override my sense of comfort and joy at seeing the Christmas traditions in the different countries in EPCOT. I will definitely be requesting an ECV and I also bought a neat cane from Skymall that has a seat made into it. :blush:

diz_girl
05-06-2010, 03:09 PM
My father was with us at WDW a few months before his back fusion surgery (before he knew that he even needed it). He toughed it out the first three days, but he was really hurting. Finally, in EPCOT, he couldn't take the pain anymore and rented an ECV. He was so happy with it that he said that he won't hesitate to rent one if he needs it again on our next trip.

mjm12000
05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
For sure rent an EVC or wheel chair if it is comfortable to sit, I would also recommend a cane as well for when you do want to get up and stand for a bit as I know with backs often neither sitting or standing is ideal for a long time so a bit of both works best.

Daisy'sMom
05-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone. I will be renting a chair. Been doing my physical therapy exercises even at night, but know that I really need a chair. Cant wait for Saturday. :mickey:

Pop Centurion
05-08-2010, 03:52 PM
An EVC is a good idea. Plus look at it in a positive way. By taking your time you'll be able to take in all the little details around the park. Plus by not doing waiting in line for the thrill rides, you have more time to explore everywhere else. Especially WS.
Have a great trip.

Polynesian Dweller
05-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Another ride you might not want to do yet is Maelstrom. On the backward portion especially, the boat comes to an abrupt stop and my back feels it everytime.

And yes the EVC is the way to go. Going a little slower around the park will let you discover lots of little details mist miss. Hope you have a great time.

Daisy'sMom
05-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I went yesterday and want to thank you all for the good advice. Thank you so much. I did rent an EVC and I am so glad I did. ALthough Epcot was very crowded and it was at times hard to navigate thru the crowds, it was still fun. We got there at about 10 and left early, DH did not want me to push my luck. We are going back on Memorial Day Weekend, probably Saturday. Thanks again everyone.:mickey:

Disney4us2
05-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I am glad that everything worked out well for you. Glad you had a good time. It is so hard to stay away from Disney:mickey: