PDA

View Full Version : Ocean City Maryland

Nanners
05-01-2010, 04:43 PM
I am heading there after 30 plus years of being away. I will have several teenagers with me for a 2 day trip. I don't need room ressies but any other tips or ideas would be so appreciated..

Pastcastmemberdaughter
05-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Hey you're coming to my neck of the woods! Ocean City is nice and it's really a fun place to be. My main tip is go to the ocean during the day and hit the boardwalk at night, especially if your going during the heat of summer. The humidity can be a killer when you're right by the ocean.

Don't be afraid to go up past the pier a couple of streets. There's some really nice shops that are up farther, we love the kite shop that's there and it's easy to find because they are always flying kites on the beach right outside of the shop.

Some of our favorite resturants that's there is Phillips Seafood Buffet and Embers. Some of the best places to get a taste of fresh Maryland seafood, especially the crab legs. Dumsers ice cream is the best for dessert and the best pizza place to us is Dough Rollers. If you like BBQ eat at the sandwich shop right beside Ribley's Believe it or Not (I forget the name because they changed the name on us). You can get a sandwich there and get some Thrasher Boardwalk Fries right beside them (these are a must for us, perfect with some vinegar on them).

If you like night clubs one of the most popular is Secret's. We've never been here because we are not big into clubs but everyone that has been there raves about it.

Make sure to take a drive down Coastal Highway if you have time. Lots of put-put courses to try if you like and what I like to refer to as tourist traps. Nice to look into every now and again and some pretty cool shops and shopping centers. One of our favorites is Sea Shell City which you have to go into Delaware to get to is about a 20 to 30 minute drive straight down the coastal highway. It has a small but pretty cool shipwreck museum on top of the actual shop.

Also be sure to either get there really early in the morning your first day or get there really late the day before. The Bay Bridge and then the actual bridge you have to go over to get into ocean city can get backed up quickly during the day. The bay bridge is quite busy during the week around morning and evening rush hour and the bridge into ocean city can get backed up on the weekend easy because of locals visting the beach. Plus that bridge has to lift to let boats go under every now and then.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your trip.

Nanners
05-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the good info! I so remember going to Philips! Yum... Is the haunted house still at the end of the pier? The fries at Thrashers were to die for.. And how about the Salt water taffy shop? I will be there with 4 young teens so the clubing will be out for us.. I am sure they will want to spend all their time on the beach while I try to find the biggest umbrella to stay under. I will certainly check the kite shop out, my son will love it.. :)

Pastcastmemberdaughter
05-03-2010, 12:34 AM
No problem, I like to help when I can.

The haunted house was there last summer when we went, so I would assume it returned. It's been there forever, so I don't see it going anywhere. lol! It's still down at the pier. The pier has grown in size quite a lot in the best couple of years. They have a nice shopping area down there, they have a small indoor amusment park for the little ones, there are arcades up and down the boardwalk including the pier, and a nice tribute to the happenings of 9/11.

The Candy Kitchen is where we usually buy our salt water taffy. They are all up and down the boardwalk, not hard to find at all. The kite place is called the Kite Loft and I think it's on
5th street so it's not far from the pier.

Have fun, we always do.