PDA

View Full Version : What is disney like

donaldsgal
04-29-2010, 01:57 PM
i have never been to Disney world but i would love to go and i want to know your favorite parts of the park in Florida :mickey::thumbsup::rocks:

plutosnana
04-29-2010, 01:58 PM
EVERYTHING! :mickey:

ransam
04-29-2010, 02:14 PM
i'm not kidding when i say it's a completely different world. No it's not perfect, nothing is, but i honestly believe its' about as close as you can get.
let's start w/ the park itself. 4 major theme parks, 2 water parks, numerous golf courses, boating, fishing, minature golf, night life. Resorts for every taste. fancy ones, ones for kids, adults. you have attractions for everyone, thrill seekers, show people, people who like to live in the classic disney movies.
then lets talk about customer service. sure you run into a bad employee now and then, but 99% of them treat you like you're the only person in the park, and they are able to do that to every person in the park. everyone is happy, everyone caters to you. they take care of their park. try an experiemnt. when you're there,, drop a napkin on the street, then wait and watch. i will be that napkin in on the ground less than 10 mintues before someone picks it up. when you leave and get in the real world, is when you really appreciate it.
and your fellow guests...everyone there is happier, more friendly. it's like christmas, eveyone is on their best behavior.
and in the grand scheme of things, excuse me for being cliche, it's just magical. I heard a imagineer say that Disney is held to a higher standard, because it holds it'self to a higher standard. and i think that's so true. they don't hope your experience is enjoyable, they expect it to be and they make it enjoyable. disney will bring out the kid in you. it makes adults feel like kids, and they treat kids like adults.
sorry, i just went on a rant, but there is no other place like disneyworld.

SallyMcQueen
04-29-2010, 02:34 PM
The first time I went to WDW I was 19 and honest to God when I came back I told people it really is the happiest place on earth. I went again 11 years later and I can still say the same thing. The PP said it best when they said it was like Christmas (or whatever your favorite holiday is). Everything seems to go right, even if it doesn't.
One of my favorite parts is the ability to escape from the "real" world while you are there. And if you stay on property and just use Disney transportation you really are immersed in the Disney world your entire stay. You forget there are bills to pay and bad traffic. You get to hang out with the likes of Mickey, Goofy, Jack Sparrow and all your favorite characters from your childhood. You get to be that child again. One of the most exciting things for me was to meet Goofy and Mickey. Yeah I know its some guy/girl in a costume, but for that moment its really Mickey.
The best was taking my DD and seeing it all through the eyes of child and just how magical it was for her.
You asked about a favorite part of the park. My favorite part of a park has to be that walk up Main Street with the Castle in the background. Also just the intense attention to the theme detail is amazing. Much better than you will ever get another amusement park. Its just....magical.

renecat
04-29-2010, 02:35 PM
I totaly agree with the last post. But I also must say not everyone has the same feeling as we do. I love feeling like a kid when I'm there and love the magic I feel. Some people for what ever reason don't feel the same way.
My younger sister and I must go every year. Our older sister hasn't been in over ten years and when my younger sister and I talk about the world I really think she doesn't get it. She is going with us in Oct. and we are hoping to show her the magic. We'll see after our trip. We are also taking our cousin that has never been and can't wait to see her reaction to everything. Hope you can get there sometime soon.

goofygirl64
04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
My husband had never been to Disney World, so on our 1st wedding anniversary, we went. That was 24 years ago this May, and we have been back every year since, sometimes even twice. I have loved it since it opened when my parents took me and my 2 older brothers. I am so glad that I found someone who loves it as much as I do. We love everything about it, and we'll be there in 2 short weeks. Yeah!!

grumpyguy
04-29-2010, 03:30 PM
wdw is my happy place (even when i'm not there):mickey:

#1donaldfan
04-29-2010, 04:01 PM
....good question...for me, Disney is a place to park the car, stow the everyday cares away, and just simply enjoy your time exploring what it was to be a kid....:cool:

mjm12000
04-29-2010, 05:28 PM
As a child every year we would beg our parents to take us to Walt Disney World, and every year they would say no we can't afford it and that one day when we grow up we can pay our own way. It took me many many years to get there, but I made my first trip to Disneyland all alone, that is right Solo in 2005 at the age of 30. Nothing could have prepared me for the magic that is the Disney Parks. I was so hooked that I went back again in 2005 this time taking along my older sister who also was blown away on her first visit. I have now been going twice a year for the past 5 years to both Disneyland and Walt Disney World. I love it so much that last year my partner and I bought our DVC membership at the Bay Lake Tower in Walt Disney World. There is no place like Walt Disney World from the themeing to the rides, the service the details, the range of things to do. Basically you are getting a dream vacation with the best possible service and every possible option of entertainment and activity one could want from driving a race car, mini gulf, swimming, shopping, theme parks, and don't get me started on the food....

I think someone would have to be a cold hearted person with no inner child what so ever to not visit Walt Disney World and not want to start planning their next visit while still walking out of the parks on their last night.

PS we are going to be there in 2 weeks and I am just as excited getting ready for this trip as I was for my first... it never gets old

donaldsgal
04-29-2010, 06:01 PM
thank u all so much i really want to go to WDW now gosh!!!!!!!!!:mad:

GBBT
04-29-2010, 06:33 PM
thank u all so much i really want to go to WDW now gosh!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Once you go,you will NEVER go anyplace else(if you do,it will not be the same as going to DisneyWorld).:cloud9:

Daisy'sMom
04-29-2010, 07:24 PM
I've been going since MK opened and it has never lost its magic. Go, you will never want to come back. :mickey:

ransam
04-30-2010, 08:51 AM
Once you go,you will NEVER go anyplace else(if you do,it will not be the same as going to DisneyWorld).:cloud9:

that's a good point...every year when i leave Disney i think aout next year's vacation and i always tell myself that i'm gonna take a break for one year and do something different, maybe go on a cruise, road trip, visit NY, etc....but it never fails that i get home and within 3 days I'm in my office and i start looking at the calender for the best dates for next year to go to Disney.

Joannelet
04-30-2010, 09:31 AM
You guys are absolutely right. Once you go to Disney you usually always want to go back.

The parks are great...the attractions and the shows are a lot of fun. The character meet n greets are exciting. The food establishments are great. The service there is top notch. There is something there for EVERYONE!
There is NO way you can be BORED in Disney :)
It really is the happiest place on earth.
While its definitely NOT a relaxing vacation...(it can be if you sit by the pool all day)....but it is full of excitement and memory making is bound to happen!!! :)

I have been going since I was 13 months old. I went to college based on doing an intern there. I was a cast member on the college program in 1998. I married a guy who went to Disney once when he was 7 years old. I took him there for our 1 year wedding anniversary and he was hooked. He will not go anywhere else :) He bought me a DVC timeshare. We found out I was prego in DIsneyland, CA. (our first visit there) and my son who is now 17 months was there in July when he was 7 months and again in December when he was a year old. :)
There is no turning back for us now!! :)

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-30-2010, 10:00 AM
Everything,...it truly has to be experienced to be appreciated. Even big hairy surly serious guys break down into these great big silly oversized kids with Mickey ears on running around with a grin on their face and nobody even looks twice at them because we're all acting the same way.:mjump:

TikiLounger
04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
I agree with everything everyone else has said. Once you go, nothing else compares. A few years ago, we took a break and went to Atlantis for our family vacation. It was nice...but I can still hear my kids saying, "Yeah it's fun, but it's no Disneyworld!" Crack me up. Actually, when my kids were younger, we travelled around and made sure that they saw the major historical and cultural attractions here on the east coast. NY, Boston, DC, camping and hiking in northern NE, Williamsburg, Gettysburg, etc (you get the picture, I'm sure). Lots of museums, state parks, history, etc. We've also been to Hawaii and Italy. They've been exposed to tons, but Disney will have a special place in all our hearts...forever. Oh, and my daughter and I are going on a mother/daughter trip to Disneyworld in June. The last day of our trip is the day the HP attraction in Universal opens. When I asked if she'd like to changed the dates a bit to take it in, she said, "No...I'm okay with just Disney!" :mickey:

biodtl
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM
I can tell you what it's NOT like. It's not "just a theme park" I can't tell you how many people I know that have said they didn't want to go to WDW because they aren't really into theme parks. And every one of them that ended up going came back and said, WOW - that wasn't what I expected.

My husband was one of those people and now he loves it. he tends to "forget" between trips that he does, and isn't as anxious to get back as the rest of us are, but once we drive onto the property, he's a kid again.

For a first stay, I would recommend staying on-site - it should be experienced at least once (we wouldn't stay anywhere else), but definitely the first time.

forever a child
04-30-2010, 02:55 PM
For me it is a place to be a KID again and not be told to grow up! I like being with my 15 year old daughter and acting HER age :thumbsup:

donaldsgal
04-30-2010, 05:05 PM
wow disney is a big place i love hearing about it man i want to go really badly.:fresh:
:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

Disney-4-Me
04-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Disney World is a place where you can believe in magic no matter how old you are. I believe the characters are real, and I feel like I'm treated like a princess by every cast member I meet.

I love it!!!:muscles::muscles::muscles:

(Going in October for a Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party!)

Genie1953
05-01-2010, 12:20 AM
I haven't been to Disney land/world that many times...once to Disneyland and 3 times to Disneyworld. I went to Disneyland as a very young child but I do have vivid memories. The first time i went to Disneyworld was as a chaperone for our high school band trip. I absolutely fell in love with Disneyworld on that trip and took tons of pictures. I remember thinking that some way somehow I HAD to get my husband to bring me back down there...but I also knew that when he saw those pictures he would put his foot down and refuse to go....he really hates crowds and those pictures were taken 2 or 3 days before New Years day probably one of the most crowded times of the year. He didn't even notice the crowds in the pictures. Finally when we had made plans to visit our daughter in Georgia I went ahead and discussed making a quick 2 day trip down there since we were so close. I was shocked when he agreed. Then about a month before we were to leave I got a bonus at work.....AND they came out with a Free Dining Plan promotion....and that meant we could extend our trip. My DH wasn't happy but went along with it since I was using my bonus money for the trip. We ended up staying 4 or 5 nights. Wow was he surprised when he discovered that transportation to all the parks was provided....and the dining plan meant we didn't have to pay anything out of pocket because even the tip was included back then and he really liked the rides too as well as all the landscapng. At the end of our stay he realized he had actually enjoyed himself and especially the fact that our car never even moved except for the day we went to seaworld. So of course when I started talking about going to Disneyworld for our 30th anniversary he went right along with it. Two weeks ago we returned from a 9 night/10 day anniversary trip to Disneyworld. Although he won't admit it I think he has fallen in love with Disneyworld too....especially the flower and garden festival and all the character interaction. Now he talks to everyone about how great Disneyworld is and has also started talking about "the next time we go"....which unfortunately won''t be any time soon as we have a several big trips planned over the next few years....but it IS nice that he is talking about it at least! For me it is just about EVERYTHING that makes me love it so much. My husband loves that it is hassel free.

donaldsgal
05-01-2010, 07:20 PM
thanks for the info i am lovin it!!!!:D

kemps@wdw
05-02-2010, 06:57 PM
Each and every part. From the smallest pebble to the tallest "castle"! :thumbsup:

goofball
05-03-2010, 04:49 PM
It's all been said already but I just have to agree. It is another world, check your cares at the gate and just be a kid. Every detail is perfect, every cast member there for you only, every meal is yummy and you will never be sad or bored. I just have more energy there. I want to go and go all day. I am normally rather cynical and sarcastic, but I just feel all negativity and stress melt away when I am there. I am 41 years old and I wear my Tigger ears from the moment the plane touches down to the moment we leave Disney property. It's just plain old fashioned fun.:mickey:

wildernesslady
05-03-2010, 07:14 PM
It is trully Magical. Impossible to describe. You have to experience it for yourself. Have a wonderful time.

Bri
05-04-2010, 11:59 AM
it's all amazing! even when you land at the orlando airport, i'm practically running off the plane! then you walk through the airport and there's a disney store and you think "that's not just a disney store, i'm going to disneyworld!!!" then you get closer and closer to the magical express counter and the people are so wonderful and kind and you get on your bus and they start the movie, it's so awesome! you finally get to your hotel and it's just amazing and overwhelming and you can't believe you're FINALLY there.

my family thinks i'm nuts for loving it so much, they wonder why i don't go anywhere else. i do go other places and i have a great time, but nothing is the same as disney! and there is so much to do! the pools, waterparks, parks, downtown disney, checking out the hotels, parades, fireworks, good food, etc! and before you even step foot on the property you could have your room, park tickets, meals (if you're on the meal plan), and different activities already paid for! it's so convenient.

it really is an awesome place and i'm sure you're getting excited just reading what all of us have said, but you will never really understand what we are talking about until you go. my best friend went with her husband and his fam a few years ago and she actually got teary eyed the first night during the fireworks. my other best friend and i are going in 22 days to celebrate her graduation from nursing school. i just got off the phone with her and we are both like little kids when we talk about it. i really hope you get to go someday! everyone should experience it at least once!

PlutoPlanet
05-04-2010, 12:17 PM
donaldsgal, we got to WDW every year. Sometimes twice. When we go with DD, we do a lot of things that she likes, although we always do some just for DW and DH (me). the atmosphere of the place is a highlight for me. Sure, we have our individual favorite rides, Buzz Lightyear, Big Thunder Mountain, Aerosmith R + R Coaster. The water parks are wonderful too. We prefer Typhoon Lagoon. We think Disney is (still) the world leader in customer service, so even having lunch there is a treat.
For you first trip, just pick out some fun things to do. You can always go back, and back and back.

Postscript - Our favorite snack is a Dole Whip. Gotta try it.

Bellelover
05-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Disney is one of the most amazing places on earth. Every time you step into the park you in a whole new world. Every persons faces shines as they see the amazing parades, the rides, and the classic characters!!! You should for sure go to disney some time soon!

disneymom2000
05-06-2010, 08:25 AM
[QUOTE=renecat;2047790]But I also must say not everyone has the same feeling as we do. QUOTE]

I know exactly what you mean. I went the first time when I was 32. I was amazed. My husband went and me and the kids. Now I have been eight times more since then and have now booked a solo trip for this December. When I ask my husband if he wants to go, he just says he;s been there and doesn't have an urge to go back. CRAZZYYYY! He gave me a trip for 2 weeks to anywhere I wanted to go for our 25th anniversary. I totally considered Disney, but knew he would be miserable, so I chose Ireland instead. On the tour we booked, I met this older brother and sister who were disney fanatical like myself. We talked several times a day on the bus and then we were at the airport a while at the same time and talked there. So I at least got to interject a bit of Disney during my trip anyway. :mickey:

Pop Centurion
05-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Try to save up for a trip. You'll never forget it. Believe it or not WDW isn't as expensive as you'd think if you go to a value resort during the off season. My girlfriend (now Fiance) & I used to stay down the Shore here in NJ every year. Then we realized it was actually cheaper to go to WDW.
Many people don't like the free dining promotion but if you go during the promotion you can save even more money since food can get real expensive there.
I'd definitely do some research to get an idea of what it will cost you for a trip then try to save a little here & there to go because EVERYBODY DESERVES AT LEAST ONE TRIP TO WDW.

wdw538884
05-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Tough question to answer. How do you describe a brilliant sunset?, how do you explain how fantastic a meal was?, how to describe the first feelings of love? DisneyWorld is like that, do you get what I mean? It simply "is", thank goodness:number1::mickey::thumbsup::party::):D:coo l::lei:

vws_and_disney
05-10-2010, 05:59 PM
I have to agree with the everything crowd also. It's nice to not feel any stress. We do the good old Jersey shore too and i have to say, that we spend more money on the shore then we do in Disney.

kemps@wdw
05-10-2010, 10:45 PM
It's not called Disney "WORLD" for nothing! It's like...."the double-dip hand made ice cream sundae w/warm double fudge sauce" of vaca destinations. :cloud9:

CaptainSad
05-12-2010, 09:13 AM
I went for the first time when I was 28. I have been there 25 times and I am going again in December. Now I'm 54 and it never gets old. You will fall in love with it...

GenieOfPA
05-12-2010, 09:21 AM
EVERYTHING! :mickey:

Couldn't agree more! Everything about WDW is great! I love going cause I can be as goofy as I want and I'll fit right in, haha. Its a great place to get back to your childhood roots and just be a kid! And never underestimate the power of a good WDW bench for some people-watching!

divacat80
05-18-2010, 11:09 AM
the last time i went to WDW was in 1996, and it has changed a lot since then. So i understand your curiosity, if you've never been to a disney park you must be thinking we're some sort of lunatics :D

any disney park has it's own magic (yes, even Disneyland Paris) but WDW is MASSIVE, an overdose of disney, there's so much to see, do and enjoy.
it's more than an amusement park or a fun fair! it's a place where you forget what happens in the outside world, and you get to be yourself without having those around you wondering if they should be taking you to a mental institution because you're hugging a person in a disguise or singing a childhood song aloud
it's the world as it should be (even with the flaws, because it's not perfect,... but almost is)

it's a place where you can spend thousands of dollars in your trip and in souvenirs but never regret a single penny invested because the look in your kids' faces or those you love during your stay there meant the world to you

it's a memory creator, memories that will live with you forever.

and if you're a big disney fan... it's like being home
:)

Go to WDW! if you can't afford it, try any of the other parks, they're all magical!
I can't afford going to WDW yet but we go to DLRP each year and though it's a different experience it's worth it (for us in Europe at least). It's magical!

Try to save for a WDW trip, everyone should do it at least once in their lifetime :mickey:

Genie1953
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Well said...Divacat80! My only regret is that we could never afford to take our three kids when they were young. The middle child (now age 29) went with the high school band, but now she says..."been there, done that...no desire to go back!" Our youngest child (now 28) was crazy about Mickey Mouse as a child but no longer has any interest in Disney. Now our oldest daughter LOVES Disney....and so does all of her family. Not sure where our other two kids hatched from but it is sure strange that they have no desire whatsoever to go to Disneyworld! :rotfl:

divacat80
05-19-2010, 04:25 AM
Well said...Divacat80! My only regret is that we could never afford to take our three kids when they were young. The middle child (now age 29) went with the high school band, but now she says..."been there, done that...no desire to go back!" Our youngest child (now 28) was crazy about Mickey Mouse as a child but no longer has any interest in Disney. Now our oldest daughter LOVES Disney....and so does all of her family. Not sure where our other two kids hatched from but it is sure strange that they have no desire whatsoever to go to Disneyworld! :rotfl:

i know what you mean, i'm sure we won't be able to afford a visit to WDW with our kids (we don't have children yet though...) but we'll do our best to take them to DLRP, though we know that might still be impossible...

still, having disney-hater kids would be our nightmare!!!! XD i'm secretly worried about boring my future kids with disney and i know my dh is as worried as i am :blush: hehehe
they'll either become disney-lovers or disney-haters we know that for sure... :D

it's good that your daughter and her family love disney, you might get to share your love of disney with your grandchildren :D

(btw, sorry for my bad English!I'm trying to improve it :blush:)