PDA

View Full Version : Fantasyland Refurb...

darthmacho
04-28-2010, 04:02 PM
I apologize if I'm rehashing a worn subject, but we're down to 109 days until our trip and I'm getting a little anxious about this FL refurb. Has it begun? If not, when? How disruptive will it be this summer for visitors.

I have particular interest because if you recall my "Dumbo vs. Splash Mountain" post, my kids are looking forward to riding Dumbo first thing, and I figure we'll get in as much of Fantasyland as we can that morning before heading over to Liberty Square and Frontierland.

Any info on the timing of the FL refurb is appreciated! :mickey:

Strmchsr
04-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes, it has begun. Right now the only attractions impacted are Ariel's Grotto and the Pooh's Playful Spot playground, both of which are now closed. They have not announced a time table on any other attraction closures. That said, I feel fairly confident that Dumbo won't close for quite a while. Probably next year once they have the new area ready. Toontown would have to close and be rebuilt before they would close Dumbo for the move to its new home. So, I think you're safe. However, we're all just going to have to expect closures over the next 18 or so months as they build a better Magic Kingdom.

Genie1953
04-28-2010, 09:41 PM
You know....in the Jan/Feb Celebrations magazine there is an article by Lou Mongello about Fantasyland. Very interesting as it talks about the Fantasyland of yesterday, of today, and of tomorrow. It mentions that the Fantasyland expansion plans include doubling the size of the Dumbo attraction and says that it will expand to two Dumbo carousels. Don't know when this will happen though....but it does say that it will take up most of the area where Toontown Fair is currently located. It was a very interesting article.

KylesMom
04-28-2010, 11:05 PM
You can also read about and see renderings of the future of Fantasyland in the News, Rumors & Imagineering forum here on INTERCOT! Fantasyland Refurb (http://http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=158121)

KAJUNKING
04-29-2010, 12:32 AM
Yes, it has begun. Right now the only attractions impacted are Ariel's Grotto and the Pooh's Playful Spot playground, both of which are now closed. They have not announced a time table on any other attraction closures. That said, I feel fairly confident that Dumbo won't close for quite a while. Probably next year once they have the new area ready. Toontown would have to close and be rebuilt before they would close Dumbo for the move to its new home. So, I think you're safe. However, we're all just going to have to expect closures over the next 18 or so months as they build a better Magic Kingdom.
That is great news to me, i hope that those are the only two areas affected when we are there in sept, because its not areas we really enjoyed in our previous trips, imho poohs playful spot was the worst waste of space in all mk! although if we have to suffer some other shut downs i guess i can live with it in the name of progress, and a bigger and better mk

darthmacho
04-29-2010, 03:38 PM
I have to admit, the new Fantasyland seems like it is going to be great. One interesting point, however, is that will MK will now have only 6 "lands" now that Toontown is being absorbed? Just curious. It's a small detail, but in some ways, significant.

Does anyone else agree? :confused:

tyandskyesmom
04-29-2010, 03:50 PM
It is definately underway! We just got home last night. There are the green construction walls up all over the MK...it seemed like a lot. Across the whole back of Fantasyland from Pinocchio's to the Mad Tea Party...and a very large crane was very viabel behind it. Peter Pan and Pooh have curtains up for the restructure of the fascades...along with a lot of other places (particularly on Main Street) at Casey's and some other store fronts and then again back in Liberty Tree Tavern. Seems like a lot of work going in at the MK right now.

We did not notice anything in ToonTown being down or boarded up yet though...even Donald's Boat was splashing!

Strmchsr
04-29-2010, 04:24 PM
One interesting point, however, is that will MK will now have only 6 "lands" now that Toontown is being absorbed? Just curious. It's a small detail, but in some ways, significant.

Well, sort of. The new area that will open in 2012 is being called "Fantasyland Forest" and then "Pixie Hollow" will open in 2013, so you could also argue that MK will have 8 "lands" even though those two are currently dumped in with "Fantasyland". But, currently, so is ToonTown, technically.

darthmacho
04-29-2010, 04:30 PM
Well, sort of. The new area that will open in 2012 is being called "Fantasyland Forest" and then "Pixie Hollow" will open in 2013, so you could also argue that MK will have 8 "lands" even though those two are currently dumped in with "Fantasyland". But, currently, so is ToonTown, technically.

Hmmm, I guess we'll have to see how WDW markets it when it is finished. I guess the books and videos would be most effected by the change, even if it's a matter of saying 6 (or 8) lands instead of 7. In any case, the I'll have to start planning a trip to see the finished project! :mickey: