PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

southerngirl
04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
We recently booked a late July trip. The travel party, for sure, is DH, DS (2) and me. We have also invited my in-laws, but they are on the fence. We extended the invitation about two weeks ago, but they have not made their decision. They just took a week vacation, and my FiL apparently wants to save his other vacation week until the fall (but my MiL wants to come with us and is trying to convince him to use 2 of his days for our trip).

Last week, we decided to go ahead and book a 1 br villa at the BWV. We thought that would be plenty of room for four adults and a child. However, if my in-laws don't join us, we will move to a club level room at the Poly or GF. We are starting to get nervous that those rooms are going to be gone soon. I feel that we have done all we can to politely motivate my in-laws to make up their minds, but they haven't told us their decision (they know that we're going to move rooms if they don't join us, and we have told them that time is of the essence, because of the discounts). To complicate things further, my MiL's mother was hospitalized this weekend, and now they are dealing with putting her in assisted living. So, I'm pretty sure that our Disney trip is pretty far from my in-laws' minds right now, and I really don't want to bring it up again.

My question is: if you were in my position, what would you do? Would you go ahead and switch and then worry about finding another room for my in-laws if they decide to join us? Or, would you stick with what we've booked and hope that if my in-laws decide not to come, by the time they tell us their decision, we can still get a room at the Poly or GF?

FriendsofMickey
04-27-2010, 10:51 AM
I would tell them something like:

"Since, we do not want to lose the opportunity to get the discount, we are going to switch our resort on ..... We are assuming you are not attending, so unless you state otherwise, we will make the change. "

You may even say something like, that with the issues with the mother, you realize they are having a tough time....

Good luck.

TheVBs
04-27-2010, 10:55 AM
If it were me I would probably go ahead and switch rooms. You can let them know that you understand they've got a lot on their plate right now, and you don't want them to feel any pressure about deciding on the trip. If they end up going then you guys can tackle finding them a room.

sleepingbooty
04-27-2010, 02:57 PM
This is a tricky situation. I can see why you don't want to bring it up - there are obviously more important things on their minds right now and you don't want them to think you are being insensitive. But on the other hand, you are spending a lot of money our this vacation and it's important to you. I think you need to find a tactful way to broach the subject with them - because in all likelihood, it doesn't sound like they are going to be able to go. Maybe you could say something along the lines of," We didn't want you to worry about the vacation plans, we understand that it isn't the right time for you..." and then let them know that you are going to switch rooms. Good luck, I know this is a tough one!