PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Parade

Familyof4
04-27-2010, 07:22 AM
Does anyone know when they tape the Christmas parade and is it possible to see it while it is being taped? Thanks.

Strmchsr
04-27-2010, 08:39 AM
In Disney World they usually tape it the first weekend in December. In Disneyland it's mid-November.

As for seeing it...well, it depends. Some years they let anyone be a part of the crowd and some years you have to volunteer to be in a 4-hour shift and some years only AP holders can do it. It varies from year to year. However, having been in the park 4 different times during the taping of the Christmas parade I can tell you it's a colossal waste of time. It's a lot of standing around then they'll run one float down, then they back it up and you wait some more while they reset then they run it again and so on. It's not on continuous parade. The music acts are the same way. They tape all the backup singers and musicians first then will bring out the main act for 1 or 2 takes.

Generally the music acts are taped in front of the castle on Friday and the parade is taped on Saturday with Sunday used for reshoots and a rainout day.

LandFan
04-27-2010, 09:22 AM
It gets crazy the day it is taped! I would personally skip it (and I do!). We always plan to be at other parks that day. The last time (I think it was 2 years ago) that I was down at that time we rode by MK on the monorail on our way to the poly for lunch at Kona that day and boy was it mobbed! We could see the insanity from the monorail. The blimp was overhead as well... I remember thinking how grateful I was that I pre-plan to stay away from it :thumbsup:

But that's just my personal opinion - maybe you are one of those people who doesn't mind gobs of people, not being able to get around the parks very well and general mayhem in order to see the parade... If so - go for it! Parades do need people to watch them:mickey:

FriendsofMickey
04-27-2010, 10:33 AM
We have been down during the time as well (as we also will most likely be this year again). We avoided the park as well. I have heard it is crazy, so best to stay away.

Now, I will say that the day before the parade was taped, they were actually taping some of the 'side shows'. Main street was packed with people. I knew I had made the right decision to avoid the park during the parade, because I prefer an emptier park.

Now, if you want to see a Christmas Parade, you could always buy tickets to the Christmas Party. I know it is not the same, but was a very nice parade in itself.

princessgirls
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
HUGE waste of time! We lucked out, as the weather was iffy the day of the taping last year, and they post-phoned it until Sunday. All of those people were contacted who were suppose to come (they had gotten free tickets for the day) and told to come Sunday.
The park was empty, and we saw Kelly Ripa hanging with her kids (didn't bother her).

The parade is fun, but not worth 5 hours of my precious time.
Julie:mickey:

Rekenna
04-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi!

When you say first weekend of December do you mean Dec 3-5 or Dec 10-12 (after the full first week of Dec)? I only ask b/c we too had planned on being in WDW Dec 1 & 2, and had planned on going to MK Dec 2 (the Thursday before). Just trying to get an idea of crowds.

Thanks!:mickey:

Strmchsr
04-27-2010, 07:40 PM
When you say first weekend of December do you mean Dec 3-5 or Dec 10-12 (after the full first week of Dec)?

It would be December 3-5. And the Saturday date is by far the worst of the parade taping days in terms of crowds.