PDA

View Full Version : Hilton Head Island???

buzznwoodysmom
04-25-2010, 06:41 PM
I just booked 4 nights at Disney's Hilton Head Island resort for early June. This will be our first time staying here. I'd like to get any suggestions, tips, information that anyone can give. Where should we dine? What activities are must dos? What should I bring (we will have a studio)? Any tours, disney or other, that are especially good for boys ages 10 and 8? I love to shop at little beach side shops, are there any in the area? Thanks so much for any information you guys can share!!

Basket Mommy
04-25-2010, 08:39 PM
We were just there for spring break. It was our first ever trip to Hilton Head, so I don't know much.

I can tell you to avoid Kingfisher restaurant that's right next to the resort. Overpriced and not the freshest seafood I've ever had. It was not great. Okay, but not awesome.

A lot of friends recommended the Sea Shack, but we never made it there. It looked like great food, though. We'll try that on our next trip.

We had dinner @ Giuseppe's Pizza one night (they have a website if you want to Google it). It was great, but crowded (it's a small restaurant in a strip shopping center). Next time we go we will definitely order for pickup and not eat in.

We did the Salty Dog (again, they have a website if you want to Google it). I loved it. We ate at the Lands' End restaurant and went t-shirt shopping (the t-shirt is a popular souvenir). We'll definitely go back. Make sure you find a local brochure with a coupon for free admission to Sea Pines. Otherwise it's $5 to get into where Salty Dog is located. We didn't find the free pass until we'd already been there!)

We didn't do a lot of shopping, so I can't help you there. Salty Dog had a lot of little shops that looked interesting; we were there too late at night to shop (they were closing the shops @ 8 pm.)

We went on an all day deep-sea fishing excursion on the Gullah Gal. It was me, my husband and our 4 kiddos (12, 9, 7, 5). We had a BLAST. It was a bit expensive, but so worth the money. We came home with almost a dozen black sea bass to eat. The captain and first mate are awesome. VERY nice and helpful. They even cleaned and fileted the fish for us. They were yummy! I'm pretty sure that the fishing excursion that the resort offers is catch and release only and doesn't go out very far. We were on our boat for 6 hours, but the time flew by because we were having so much fun.

I can tell you that if you want to rent bikes @ the resort, get there early. By the time we got to the rental place @ 10 am, all bikes were gone.

mouseketeer mom
04-25-2010, 09:04 PM
Denise, I did my trip report live from HHI resort during the summer. You can still find it under Info, News and Trip reports forum. It's called Live from Disney's Hilton Head Island resort! You can see what day to day was like for us there during the week.

buzznwoodysmom
04-25-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info so far. I'm not a huge shopper while on vacation, but I love beachy little shops for some reason. The off shore fishing would be amazing, but that's out of the question for us. My oldest DS gets motion sickness very easily, and the last time DH went on a fishing trip he had to be brought back in because he was so sick. His buddies said they don't even think there is a name for the color DHs face turned. We definitely want to try Salty Dog. I've heard over and over again what a great place it is.

pox24
04-26-2010, 08:45 AM
If you like those beachy shops, drive down to Harbour Town Lighthouse. Its about 15 minutes. We both loved it. Great places to eat and drink, beautiful view of the sound, and lotsa shopping. Climb the lighthouse while your there. :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
04-26-2010, 08:53 AM
How about the weather that time of year. Here in Louisiana once its summer its HOT! What should I expect with the weather from June 6 - 10? Will we need sweaters or jackets for the evenings or early mornings?

Priority Four
04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Our family really enjoyed the nature tours of the beach, marsh, and Pickney Island. We also enjoyed the Kayak tour and the campfire.

iloveokw
04-29-2010, 05:51 PM
I would bring layers just in case..we go every yr the same tile you are going..some years chilly at night others way hot.

Don't miss the pool party, games and fireworks on Tuesday night!!!

Coligny area has lots of beachy shops. go to hhidining.com to check out menus- we have our favs ans always try a new place every yr.

Lots of kids activities...kids love crabbing from the dock you can buy a net at Broad Creek rental...buy chicken necks from the grocery store.

TheVBs
05-01-2010, 10:07 AM
We stayed close to Thanksgiving and our two favorite activities were the campfire and the beachcombing trip!

They offer a lanyard to collect special pins for the activities. We could have easily passed on getting it. It was very thin, plain white, the kids decorated it themselves, and the pins were actually the round buttons, not the trading pins. Cute, but not worth the $.

lovin'fl
05-11-2010, 08:31 PM
We did HH last summer. It's not my fave. My DH loved HH island, but neither of us liked the DVC there. You have to get a bus to the beach house or drive yourself (parking lot is small and fills by 11am). That was not too appealing to us and it didn't have a Disney resort feel or a beachy feel (it was odd to us). I didn't like how things were so spread out on the entire island (no walking around to shops/dining so much). We did drive to Coligny and spent some time shopping and had some yummy frozen drinks at the Frosty Frog(they have food too and kids were in there, but it is a bit dirty/scroungy). We also ate at Wild Wing Cafe and it was soooo yummy(awesome wings and great prices). We did Kingfisher too and it was overpriced and just so so food (but they do have a decent happy hour with some good deals).
Bring beach chairs (you can rent them, but it is super expensive). If you plan to arrive early, pack a pool or beach bag because you will have to wait until nearly check in time for your room to be ready.

SD Price
05-14-2010, 08:10 AM
I too left a trip report from our stays in January and March located here: http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=166026.

I'm from SC, so I can tell you that as far as June weather in SC, you'll find that you won't need too many layers. It may be coolish in the morning as you're sipping your coffee, but it'll warm up rapidly. It can get very hot and humid during the day; you will catch a breeze, which will help.

You may get a summer squall, so bring a jacket or umbrella. On the other hand, it might feel so good to you that you just want to stand out in it.

You'll have a great time, we thinking of adding on points.