PDA

View Full Version : Tips for selling items on Craigslist or ebay

the other micki
04-24-2010, 12:54 AM
My kids want to fly to Disney World next year (first time on a plane), so my DH suggested we sell a few valuable, but never used possessions to offset the cost of the flight. Does anyone have any advice about selling items on these sights?

Thanks!

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
04-24-2010, 08:21 AM
A good description of what it is and what condition it is in. Take a few pictures.

Disney4us2
04-24-2010, 09:10 AM
My kids want to fly to Disney World next year (first time on a plane), so my DH suggested we sell a few valuable, but never used possessions to offset the cost of the flight. Does anyone have any advice about selling items on these sights?

Thanks!

I have been selling/buying on Ebay for a couple of years now.

First.... look up the item you want to sell. See what others are selling it for. I try to sell for just at bit under what the others are selling it for. Make sure your listing price is what you will settle for if listing as an auction. For buy it now, I make it higher with a "make an offer" option. I set the offer to reject if the offer is lower than I will settle for.

Description... Make sure you describe it in detail. Take a lot of pictures. I also have Auctiva which lets you take lots of pictures. You don't get charged for extra pics (.15 per pic). There is a separate monthly charge for auctive though.

Shipping.... Make the shipping reasonable. I charge just what is costs me to ship the item. I use a postal scale. If the item is valuable... INSURE IT. Check with the post office as to how much the insurance is. Make sure you state in your description that insurance is included in the shipping charge. Print your lable through Paypal, that way you and the buyer both get a tracking number. I hate it as a buyer when I can't track my shipment. Make sure the item is packed well, especially if it is fragile/breakable. If the item is 13oz or under you can ship it First Class, and if small enough to fit in your mailbox, you won't need to go to the post office. Anything over 13oz I take to the post office. There are also flat rate mailing boxes you can get at the post office (free). The shipping for those start at 4.95 for the small box, 10.35 for the medium. With those you can ship as much in the boxes for one price.
I am sure I am leaving something out. Feel free to pm me for any info or help.

Good luck and happy bidding:mickey:

luvdiznee
04-24-2010, 11:37 AM
I've been selling on Craigslist a lot. I choose Craigslist for the reason of not having to box things up, dealing locally so no shipping to deal with. As well as none of that paypal or however you get your payment. It's all cash.

Maybe the other way is easier than I thought, but I only have so much time. Or maybe it depends on what you are selling as to which would work for you.

Anywho for CL when I post I make sure to get a good picture and have good descriptions. Very easy.

Good luck either way.

forever a child
04-24-2010, 12:04 PM
I've been selling on Craigslist a lot. I choose Craigslist for the reason of not having to box things up, dealing locally so no shipping to deal with. As well as none of that paypal or however you get your payment. It's all cash.

I agree with luvdiznee. I have sold extensively on both sites and at this point I prefer Craigslist. A new seller on ebay is going to be in for a harsh reality when you see all of the costs involved and have a buyer who files a complaint on you for something not being as described (even though you probably did describe it accurately). You can loose $ too easily on ebay as a seller.

Craigslist of course you will have people coming to your home to look at items. But if you live in an area with a lot of neighbors that shouldn't be too much of a problem. They will be paying with cash and I have never had anyone try and return an item or complain after making a purchase. No fees! Just be prepared to give up your time an occasionally have someone not show up.

1)Either be prepared for a lot of spam in your email box or make sure that you do not allow an email to show up and just place a phone number for contacting you on your listing.

2) I repeat my listings about every 5 day for items that dont sell.

3) You must be available or return calls/emails promptly because usually they have cash in hand and will move on to someone else if they can't reach you.

4) Make sure you have good photos. Keep clutter out of photos! It makes a big difference in the price you will get for items. The nicer/cleaner/newer it looks the more you will get in cash.

5) Be prepared for people criticizing you that you are asking too much...remember they are trying to get a bargain. I usually ask a little more than I really want for most items and most of the time get exactly what I was expecting when negotiating price.

6) Remove or update your listings. Nothing worse than getting phone calls for items you have already sold.

7) Have fun with it. I usually sell anywhere from $200 - $800 a month in stuff on craigslist. I have a women coming later on today to look at an item! Hope she takes it!

PM me if you have any questions! Have fun selling and saving $ for Disney! Kids items sell well!
:mickey:

disneyboundagain
04-24-2010, 01:33 PM
First.... look up the item you want to sell. See what others are selling it for. I try to sell for just at bit under what the others are selling it for. Make sure your listing price is what you will settle for if listing as an auction.

Very well stated! I've been selling on eBay for about 10 years, and have completed several thousand transactions without a single negative. I even started my side business by selling on Ebay, but don't use it for the business any more because the fees just got too out of hand.

If I could add a few items:

The picture is extremely important. Take the time to make sure the pictures are very clear and well lit. Also show multiple angles, if applicable. Don't worry about Auctiva for as much as you will be selling, its too much hassle. If you were going to do that type of volume, its easier to pay for your own domain and self-host the pictures anyway.

There is a lot of strategy to the starting price of the auction. Do a seach of completed listings for the item you want to sell, it can usually predict how much you will get for your item. BUT, and this is just as important, see how much activity there was on the completed auctions. If you are selling an item that sells frequently and has a lot of bidders, start your auction very low, it will help you get more watchers. Set a reserve if you are concerning with not getting as much as you want. If your item is rare or unique, you'll need to start the listing at or near the amount you want to get.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!! Selling on eBay can really be a lot of fun.

the other micki
04-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks so much for the great advice, everyone! I plan to get started soon!

magicalmom
05-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Make sure you can ship promptly after payment clears.