PDA

View Full Version : Bus driver experience

Kaps
04-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Just looking to see what other drivers may have done? We had a long day at the studios and the bus was crowded but our driver made the drive back to the resort very easy. As we started to move he flashed all the interior lights on and off and announced that we where on the cash bus and had a chance to win absolutely nothing! He went through disney trivia which my kids loved and so did the rest of the bus. We even had a red light challenge where he would have given out a disny pin but no one knew the answer, and I can't remember the question. We where home b4 we knew it. Any other good driver stories?

DizneyRox
04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
A number of years back I remember quite a few fantastic drivers, trivia, singing, etc. The past couple of trips though, it seems many were put off to be driving a bus. Many don't even acknowledge guests getting on or off the bus.

Sounds like a fun ride though, there are a few good CMs left I see.

DonaldsBFF
04-23-2010, 01:15 PM
On our last trip we had a hilarious driver named Len. He told jokes on the way to Magic Kingdom which helped to wake us up as it was an early morning. When we were getting off the bus he noticed that my DW and I had anniversary pins. He pulled us aside and said he wanted to give us something special to help remember him. He said he wanted to give us a picture of you and me. Well, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a picture of himself holding a letter U. It was signed on the back and all. Just one of the things that makes a trip to Disney so special.

Mammabruski
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM
When we were at WDW in May of 2009, my DD (2.5 years old at the time) was dressed as Snow White. The bus driver played some sort of special intro (you know- they say in a few minutes we'll be arriving at [insert park's name here] blah, blah, blah) for her. It said something along the lines of "There's a princess on board and isn't she so beautiful and special" or something along those lines. The bus wasn't very full, and I know it was a generic opening for moments just like that, but my DD truly felt like a princess!

DisneyDoug2
04-23-2010, 01:43 PM
A few years ago we had a boat captain that quizzed everyone on Disney trivia and answered questions about the MK, Bay Lake, and the construction of the parks. He did not hand out any pins but treated everyone to a lot of knowledge about Disney.

buzznwoodysmom
04-23-2010, 01:50 PM
We stayed at WL the week before Christmas in 2004 and had a fantastic bus driver from DTD one night. As soon as the bus was on its way he started the entire bus singing the 12 days of Christmas. When we got to the lodge we weren't quiet done yet and he vowed not to let anyone off till the song was done. I felt bad for any riders that were't amused with the singing, but we had a blast and the entire bus burst into cheers when we finished. He wished everyone a Very Merry Christmas as we exited the bus. Its a bus experience I'll never forget.

deedeebee
04-23-2010, 01:51 PM
We were there the week of July 4th(:thedolls:) Anyway, on the 4th our bus driver from DTD to the Poly was handing out flag pins for the adults and pinwheels for the kids, each person he handed the item to he would thank them and tell the how proud he was to be an American.:flag: My eyes were welled up with tears:blush:

tdk316
04-23-2010, 01:53 PM
It was on one of the "drunk" standing-room-only-buses coming back from Downtown Disney and the driver told us we had to sing Disney songs otherwise he'd stop the bus and make us walk. Needless to say most of the riders were adults and so it was pretty funny listening to a particular group of early twenty-something guys who may have had a couple too many :beer: belt out some of the songs the princesses sing while swaying in the aisles. If the driver didn't think they were on key, he made them sing it again. It kept us all entertained!

tazlikesrobots
04-23-2010, 03:55 PM
We had a driver ask what did Epcot stod for. Of course everyone said the usual answer to which he said wrong!

He said it stood for Everyone comes out tired!

Back when it was MGM studios, we had a driver say that it stood for Mickey got your money...

badkitty
04-23-2010, 05:16 PM
On our last trip we had a hilarious driver named Len. He told jokes on the way to Magic Kingdom which helped to wake us up as it was an early morning. When we were getting off the bus he noticed that my DW and I had anniversary pins. He pulled us aside and said he wanted to give us something special to help remember him. He said he wanted to give us a picture of you and me. Well, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a picture of himself holding a letter U. It was signed on the back and all. Just one of the things that makes a trip to Disney so special.

My sister got a picture from Len for her birthday on our trip last Feb! He was a lot of fun!

faline
04-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Years ago, drivers who interacted with passengers in this manner were the norm. It was one of the reasons we fell in love with Disney! They would literally stop the bus on the road to point out a deer! You could also count on the bus route being exactly the same. Once, during a thunder storm, we didn't want to get off at our stop in Fort Wilderness and decided, instead, to ride around one more time. By time the bus returned to Fort Wilderness, the rain had slowed. These days, who knows where we would have ended up! I really miss that!

linedropper
04-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Observation!

Seems like in 2006 when I first went with kids drivers had more liberty to talk with people on the bus! When I returned a year later system was totally automated, seemed like you just got ad libing late at night! Just an observation!

Steve:mickey:

Disney4us2
04-24-2010, 12:42 AM
We had a driver ask what did Epcot stod for. Of course everyone said the usual answer to which he said wrong!

He said it stood for Everyone comes out tired!

Back when it was MGM studios, we had a driver say that it stood for Mickey got your money...

I must of had the same driver. He also added another one. Every Paycheck Comes Out Thursday. Which is true.

zebradome17
04-24-2010, 05:01 AM
I can't remember which trip it was on (I think it was probably 2008) but we were coming back from the Magic Kingdom and it was REALLY late (like 2am or something), anyway you could tell people were tired but he managed to keep us awake and amused with lots of disney trivia questions - it was great fun :mickey:

grumpyguy
04-24-2010, 08:03 AM
i love it when the cast members are "into" their jobs!! to me it is the difference between a six flags experience and the DISNEY experience.
esp,when you're dragging yourself back to your resort at the end of a DISNEY day.makes it pretty special.:cloud9:

waymickey
04-24-2010, 09:11 AM
the last trip we took in 2008 the bus drivers barely spoke and one fell asleep and went off the road into the grass no one hert but I don't think he is employed by Disney any longer. However the Boat pilots were very amusing. they did trivia , sang and stopped for us to watch the fireworks. They were the best.

DizneyRox
04-24-2010, 10:55 AM
the last trip we took in 2008 the bus drivers barely spoke and one fell asleep and went off the road into the grass no one hert but I don't think he is employed by Disney any longer. However the Boat pilots were very amusing. they did trivia , sang and stopped for us to watch the fireworks. They were the best.
I believe the boats are supposed to stop running during fireworks, but I agree, the boat captains are usually great.

Kathy Jetson
04-24-2010, 03:15 PM
In 2007 on my sons first trip he was 4yrs old. Our first day was at MK we were on the tram going downhill under a little bridge and the driver told everyone to put their hands up like we were on a roller coaster and told us it was our first ride of the day. I thought that was such a great start to my ds's first time! (he thought he was on a ride)

Ropachs
04-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Years ago we had a fabulous driver that delighted us with trivia - and not the kind you see in books - stuff like how many pairs of sunglasses were turned into lost & found on any given day. It was so interesting, we loved it! Sadly, we've never had a driver like that since, and it's probably been 10 years.

kemps@wdw
04-24-2010, 11:36 PM
I love hearing all the fun driver stories, as we have had some GREAT drivers in the past. And when I retire and start working for the Mouse, my preferred job will be as a "dreamer transporter". :bus::train::sail: As this postion inlcudes the 2 things I love to most, drive and talk, maybe someday people will be telling fun stories about how I made their visit to the World more magical!:pixie:

LudwigVonDrake
04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
A number of years back I remember quite a few fantastic drivers, trivia, singing, etc. The past couple of trips though, it seems many were put off to be driving a bus. Many don't even acknowledge guests getting on or off the bus.

Sounds like a fun ride though, there are a few good CMs left I see.

A few years ago I had a bus driver late at night who sang songs and asked trivia questions. He was outstanding :thumbsup:

mouselover93
04-25-2010, 06:08 PM
i had one that told jokes and on the way back to the hotel i was cramped up against the doors on the back of the bus & he said he was gonna speed around a corner and see what would happen to all the people leaning on the doors if he opened them up

MadMadamMim
04-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Last May we had a wonderful driver who quized us and told us stories for the entire ride. The most memorable piece of information I received was all about a man named Ub Iwerks who was Walt Disney's partner for many years. The driver would ask us if we had seen this scene or that scene in different movies and rides and when we would say yes he would say "Ub did that". Towards the end of the ride he had the entire bus say in unison "Ub did that". It was very fun and very informative.