PDA

View Full Version : Good restaurant for would-be chef?

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
04-21-2010, 01:32 PM
My 18 year old son has decided to go to culinary school. :chef: He has always loved to cook (and loved to eat!). We've been to WDW about 10 times in the past 10 years and always make plans to do sit down meals several times during the trip. I'm looking for something next time that would be a great "food experience" for my son and would love to hear your suggestions. We're a party of 4 including my son, husband and 14 year old daughter. All of us are pretty adventurous eaters and have no allergies to any foods. We are not alcohol drinkers, so aren't interested in wine pairings. We'd even be willing to travel off property if someone had a great suggestion. Thanks!!!

SBETigg
04-21-2010, 02:06 PM
Wendy, I think he would really enjoy the chef's table at Victoria and Albert's, but it would be a splurge with the four of you.

California Grill, Flying Fish, Jiko, and Citricos are all good choices, with chefs on hand and willing to talk to interested guests as long as they aren't swamped at the time. They're usually pretty good about making time, though. Plus, the food is always a little more unique and interesting at these particular venues. There's Bluezoo at the Dolphin, Todd English's place, that might also be good.

DizneyRox
04-21-2010, 02:43 PM
V&A for sure... I've had good experiences with other "chefs" at some of the other eareries on site, but they aren't V&A.

Very pricey, but might be a good experience to show what staying in school can do for ya!

VWL Mom
04-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I see from your signature that you will be there during F & W? Maybe one of the events (when they are released) would be of interest.

Strmchsr
04-21-2010, 03:01 PM
Wendy, I think he would really enjoy the chef's table at Victoria and Albert's, but it would be a splurge with the four of you.

:ditto: without a doubt. That would be the premiere experience. Another suggestion is go to any TS place, tell them your son is an aspiring chef and see if the chef has a couple of moments to come out and talk to you and maybe give him some hints. Usually they are more than glad to do so.

Pirate Granny
04-21-2010, 08:34 PM
JIKO...very good, very unusual...and the chef normally will take the time to come out and talk...at least that has been our experience.
:pirate:

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I totally agree with a F&W Fest event. There are special ticket events with many famous chefs where scmoozing with the chefs would be AN EXCELLENT experience for an aspiring chef! Maybe even sign up for one of the classes by a Cordian Blue chef (or however you spell it!)

V&A chef table is also an exceptional experience. However, you could eat there all year long. Only during F&W fest may a certain celeb chef be available to the public. From past shows on the food network and travel channel, there have been many a celeb chef at Disney mingling with guests.

To me, that would be once in a lifetime to meet and greet with people I aspire to be.

sleepydog5
04-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Artist Point. It's more intimate than other signature restaurants, usually not as crowded, and in my experience, have had a couple of good conversations with the chef during the meal. Once, a few years back, I asked for their pressed pot coffee which, it turns out, they had discontinued serving. I remarked how sad I was since it was some of the best coffee anywhere on Disney property. Moments later, server came back to my table and said the chef had kept a couple of pots in storage (seems they broke them a lot which is why they were disco'd) and was willing to break them out for us. I expressed my heartfelt appreciation for the gesture, and the chef came out soon after to chat with us awhile and give us his personal card. Though I don't think he is there any longer, I've noticed since that I've seen other chefs in the dining room speaking to patrons. It just seems to be a much more relaxed atmosphere at AP, and your son might be lucky enough to talk at length to one of the chefs. Good luck!