PDA

View Full Version : The END of Pressed Pennies?

Goes4FastPass
04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
When we were in WDW last month we noticed 2 pressed penny machines in 2 diffferent locations that were Out of Order but when we passed them later the same week were back online as pressed quarter machines.

Are penny machines being replaced?

rjmdds
04-20-2010, 01:37 PM
I hope not. Pressed pennies are such a nice souvenir from the various locations that they are found. My kids love them. Hopefully this is not the case....but would it surprise me???? Not at all.

Goes4FastPass
04-20-2010, 02:45 PM
A simple ”test” could be are there any NEW pressed penny machines being installed?

I’m certainly not hinting there are or are not but when a new attraction or resort or anything else opens and new pressed penny machines show up there I’d be happy to see ‘em.

KylesMom
04-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Yes - new for 2010 (similar to the new Dime machine)are new Space Mountain pressed pennies. I would suspect more will follow soon, if they haven't already. In 2009, approximately 62 new coins were added - roughly 19 of them were quarters - but a majority were penny machines.

As far as the penny machines being switched out by the quarter-operated ones, I would speculate that one of two things happened. First, we've noticed that they rotate some of the machines from year to year. Maybe this was their turn to "move on", and since they needed repair they decided to kill two birds with one stone. OR the penny machines were in a state of disrepair to the point they had to be removed to be fixed & the quarter machines were temporary replacements.

Seasonscraps
04-20-2010, 03:04 PM
It's such an odd thing to make more expensive. It's not like Disney is getting the pressed coin. :confused:

I would understand it if it was more expensive to press coins, but not this.

KylesMom
04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
It's such an odd thing to make more expensive. It's not like Disney is getting the pressed coin.
I would understand it if it was more expensive to press coins, but not this. Yes, we've always been baffled that a penny costs 51¢, quarters cost $1.25 and now dimes are 85¢. They're sure making a profit on the higher denominations!

TheVBs
04-21-2010, 09:19 AM
I never knew there were dime machines! Is that new? We'll definitely have to look for them next time. How many are there? We always get pressed pennies - love them! And always get at least a couple pressed quarters.

huzzah4
04-21-2010, 11:36 AM
One thing to note about the pressed quarters that may need to be looked into from a safety standpoint. When they are pressed down, it also presses the crenelations on the edges of the quarter so that they form a serrated edge. They have deeper and thinner serrations than most restaurant non-steak knives. I actually cut myself on one that I had in my pocket when I reached in to get something else out. i don't know if there is a way to smooth out these edges during the pressing process, but currently, it is a safety issue - be careful getting these for a child, they can easily injure themselves or others with them.

rjmdds
04-21-2010, 12:48 PM
One thing to note about the pressed quarters that may need to be looked into from a safety standpoint. When they are pressed down, it also presses the crenelations on the edges of the quarter so that they form a serrated edge. They have deeper and thinner serrations than most restaurant non-steak knives. I actually cut myself on one that I had in my pocket when I reached in to get something else out. i don't know if there is a way to smooth out these edges during the pressing process, but currently, it is a safety issue - be careful getting these for a child, they can easily injure themselves or others with them.

How long before someone sues Disney over this?!

seanyred
04-21-2010, 12:58 PM
With regards to the machines being moved/removed. From my experience with collecting these pennies with my DW is that the machine's can be moved at any given time. Also there is a list that most Guest Relations have to that list all the machines, what they press and where they are located. However, the list is not 100% accurate and "subject to change without notice". Also another thing to remeber is they do change some of these presses. For example...we have a bunch of Happiest Celebration on Earth coins, which you can't find anymore.

If you like the pennies I would suggest getting Mickey Toon Town Fair before it closes, we made sure we got some of these before they are gone

plutosnana
04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
They better not get rid of them! I love them and it's the cheapest thing to get there. I mean at a regular candy store (not at wdw) candy is 95 cents and now their candy is about 2-5 dollars for a lollipop!