PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a FREE hangout spot in Orlando? (near the park)

wdwluv
04-20-2010, 12:02 PM
Let me thank you AGAIN, in advance this time for your help!

Our upcoming May trip is a series of surprises for our kids.

My question is, is there someplace interesting for my hubby and kids to hang out for free, while I go to the resort to check in? (and how long do you think this process will take?

The details:

First surprise - picking them up at school and heading to the airport. They have no idea we are going anywhere. And the first leg of our trip is to St. Pete's beach. We are flying into Orlando, renting a car and driving there.

2nd - we will all be sad that it's time to go. Oh, but since we are in Orlando - lets go do a favorite thing - Mini-golfing, but Disney style.

3rd - I am hoping to get to Chef Mickey - but don't have reservations, so we will try a walk up.

4th - Then surprise! We are staying at a Disney property for some fun swimming.

5th - Surprise! We are going to MK for a day!:mickey:

Scott C
04-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Unless I am overlooking something -- How about Downtown Disney. That way you could just take the boat up to POR. The kids could be entertained for hours in the stores. Time wise -- boat ride up - check in and boat ride back approx 90 min or so depending on time of day and lines.

Have fun
Scott C

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I agree... DTD. Or Boardwalk? Or if you need to be off property for the surprise, you could go to the Prime Outlets where they have a Disney Character Outlet! :D

KylesMom
04-20-2010, 03:47 PM
Even when we didn't do Online Check-In at WL last year, we were checked in & ready to hit DHS for Star Wars Weekends in less than 30 minutes from the time we entered the lobby until we checked our luggage at Bell Services. So you don't really need that much time. Are you going to check in to your hotel before you try Chef Mickey's walk-up or after?

wdwluv
04-20-2010, 04:19 PM
My plan is:

mini golf

top secret check in with kids & dad elsewhere

chef mickey

then surprise! we are staying at POR

but MAYBE:....

I like the Prime outlets idea!!!! (i am hoping for off off Disney)
then i could say i am going to some other store....

THEN I could do:

mall (sneak off to check in) (i would like to check in as early as possible - hoping for building 15!)

SURPRISE! mini golf

SURPRISE! chef mickey (hopefully)

Surprise! Resort stay!!!!

crazypoohbear
04-21-2010, 08:36 PM
mini golf at fantasia near the swan and dolphin.
Disney quest so they can "get their fill" even though you can't stay there this trip.