PDA

View Full Version : Gentlemen...please give up your seats for kids on bus!

Bohms4
04-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right section...
We just returned from our trip and just something I wanted to throw out there....

-- Gentlemen - I know you are also tired at the end of the day, but I really think it would be nice for you to give up your seat on the bus for children. Not women....just children. I know I might be flamed for this but I have to bring it up. My husband did if he saw a child or a woman standing. To be fair, a number of men did give up their seats. But one night I was riding a packed bus back to CSR from Epcot and boy do they pack us on! It was just me and my two kids (ages 8 and 6) and we were standing right in the front by the yellow line. Two young "gentlemen" one in their late 20's and one in their 30's were sitting right near us (they were not together...two different groups). Bus stops short (no exaggeration, people scream). My daughter hits her mouth on my son's head b/c she couldn't hold on tight enough and she started crying and got a fat lip. Bus driver asks if everyone is ok and proceeds. At this point everyone was looking at me and my kids b/c my daughter is crying but is embarrassed so she's hiding her face in my side. These two men continue to stare at us and never offered their seat even after they saw she got hurt. Left me speechless...
Please don't tell me that they may have had a problem with their leg, etc...if that was the case then they would have had a scooter like everyone else.

On another note.....I'm not wishing this on anyone but it is only a matter of time until someone is seriously injured riding on a packed bus like that at Disney. We were travelling 55 mph...I can't imagine what would happen if we were cut off by another car or a tire blew, etc. Pretty scary if you're the one standing in front with your kids.

Ok - done with my 2 cents.

DisneyLuver91
04-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Oh my! I am sorry to hear about your situation. Your poor daughter... Getting hurt at Disney is not any fun. Anywho, I'm not surprised that the "gentlemen" didn't give up their seats. I find that when it comes to be nighttime and they are packing up the buses, the younger people, myself included, flock for seats. My mom and I both, however, give up our seats if someone has small children. People did it for us, so we will do it for them. I just wish people understood common courtesy these days. As for driving 55 MPH... Jeez. It's no wonder there have been so many bus accidents lately. That is irresponsible, no matter how much of a rush you are in. There are a good amount of people on that bus! Sorry for my rant. I get kinda steamed at this sort of thing.

Tick-Tock
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
It's not just men who can give up seats, but women as well. I've given up my seat before, and will again. Sometimes my DH and I don't even bother to sit down, knowing we'll just be getting up again anyway!

That said, your and your kids' safety ultimately is up to you. I know everyone is tired at the end of the evening and anxious to get back to the resort, but if you're worried about your kids' safety while standing, you can always wait to be at the front of the line for the next bus and get seats.

Mammabruski
04-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I was once 7 months pregnant and holding my 2 1/2 year old DD, and we were less than 5 minutes from our destination before someone offered me a seat. Really. I wouldn't have gotten on the bus if I thought there wouldn't have been enough seats, but I misjudged. Pretty sad if you ask me. :(

DisneyFr33k
04-20-2010, 11:30 AM
We've always felt that way when we go to Disney. My DH stands 99% of the time and only will sit if the bus has empty seats. Our DS is 10, and is now standing too as he models after his father. I stand with DD when we see small kids or the elderly. It is too bad common courtesy is disappearing.

And I share your concern with driving a bus 55 mph with an over flowing bus. Seems like that should be against the law as many states have seatbelt laws... but then we really would be waiting a long time for buses to come!

biodtl
04-20-2010, 11:44 AM
I think it is a nice thing for anyone who is capable (regardless of gender) to give up their seat for someone who is less able to stand on a moving bus - including kids, elderly, pregnant, someone holding a child, etc.

And while I think that in your case, it isn't likely that BOTH of the young men were handicapped, I have to respond to this:

Please don't tell me that they may have had a problem with their leg, etc...if that was the case then they would have had a scooter like everyone else.
Many people who have mobility problems only rent scooters at the parks and don't have them to take back and forth to the resorts. In addition, there are people who have mobility problems who don't need a scooter, but can have trouble standing on a moving bus.

My DH fell from a roof several years go and landed on his feet. His feet were completely shattered, and he had to go through a long process of learning to walk again. Now he can walk and only occasionally (on bad days) needs a scooter in WDW.

However, due to the injuries, his feet can't flex at the ankle, which throws off his balance. He has a hard time with steps, inclines, uneven ground, and standing on a moving vehicle. He still gives up his seat when he can, but if there isn't anything for him to really support himself on, he can't, for fear of falling and injuring himself or others nearby. I do, however, give up my seat, as do my kids.

JROriole8Fan
04-20-2010, 11:47 AM
If someone is elderly or carrying a child, I would always give up a seat to them. I will probably catch grief for this, but if the child is old enough to have walked the whole way and old enough to stand, then I do not feel compelled to give them my seat. Everyone is tired and wants to sit. At what age do you draw the line? My family has waited many times for the next bus, in order to get a seat and not be standing at the yellow line. That would probably be your best bet in the future, for both safety and seating.

Disney Doll
04-20-2010, 11:54 AM
I have mixed feelings about this.

First, I do think it is polite to offer a seat. DH and I both do that routinely. However, I get aggravated when it is directed at males only. Women can just as easily stand and should be just as willing to offer seats for those who need it.

I also get aggravated when it's expected. I have been to WDW pregnant. I have been to WDW pregnant with a toddler. I have also stood many many times on the bus. If I absolutely must have a seat I can wait for the next bus. I don't even get on unless I am prepared to stand.

Also, while it's highly likely that the gentlemen you are directing your anger towards could have stood, you really don't know. Just because they didn't have a scooter doesn't mean they are able bodied.

Finally, I think it is dangerous for kids to stand and I wish WDW didn't even allow it. Again, if I need the seat for my son I wait for the next bus or now we just rent a car and avoid the whole mess.

That's my :twocents:

SBETigg
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
In my family, we'll all give up our seats for small children, or anyone who looks like they could use a seat. But I think it's everyone's prerogative to hold on to their seat if they want it. You just can't say "Oh, look, a man! He should give up his seat for a child." You don't know the physical condition of the man in question. My DH has back problems and has had multiple knee surgeries. There are days when I would easily give up my seat for him (but he wouldn't accept, though he should). I think we shouldn't just get on the bus and judge people when we don't know their personal histories. You think you know by looking, and sometimes you do, but often you don't.

MizMissy
04-20-2010, 12:29 PM
I agree that it is polite if you are able to give up your seat for small children or elderly. If a bus is crowded, I do not have a problem standing. But, I feel that it is my responsibility as a parent that if I want my child to have a seat, I wait for the next bus.

Pirate Granny
04-20-2010, 12:35 PM
I was on that bus with Mammabruski...and there were 12 people who got onto the bus early as they had one wheelchair person. Fair enough; but the two husbands from that group that got on early sat in their seats and STARED at my daughter, obviously pregnant and said, they had to hold the strollers and therefore could not give her their seat. NOW...if these people had gotten on the bus when they arrived (stayed in line, rather than entered early), they would've had to stand, and we would've gotten a seat. There were that many people in line ahead of them, but due to the wheelchair all 12 got to get on first. An finally, after 15 minutes, someone from their party (a mom) did give up her seat...the 2-1/2 was crying and wanted to be held, I had the stroller and couldn't hold her, so MammaBruski had to pick her up. There should be a limit on how many people can be seated with a wheelchair...When my dad was in one, my husband stayed with him in the handicapped line, and the rest of us waited in line with everyone else. That's how it should be.
:pirate:

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
04-20-2010, 12:37 PM
I sympathize with you. I believe that no one should be allowed to stand. I am sure there are many injuries that go unreported that could be eliminated.

Julie_Mouse
04-20-2010, 12:45 PM
While I, too, would give up my seat for people who appear to need it more than I do, I tend to agree with the idea that you should refrain from getting on any bus unless you are prepared to stand, young children excepted.

In the end, though, those people who are not giving up their seats paid about the same for their WDW vacation as we did, and they have just as much right to a seat, if they get there first. It's common courtesy to offer it up, but unfortunately, not required. :(

magicjasb
04-20-2010, 12:56 PM
This post reminds me of a trip a few years back. I was pregnant and had two young children at the time. It was night and both kids were asleep. We got on a crowded bus and had to hold both kids, the double stroller, and the diaper bag, all while standing. The entire ride people looked at us but no-one offered a seat. I had both kids in my arms and my husband had the stroller and bags. It was a long ride. The next morning, we got on a bus that was not as crowded, but initially we were going to have to stand. Both kids were awake. Right away a young couple stood up and gave us the seats. We had a nice chat about how people do not have the same respect anymore for others and that unfortunately many people are not taught to stand and give someone a seat who might need it.:mickey:

Missy_Mouses_Dad
04-20-2010, 01:23 PM
I will always stand until I am certain there is enough room for me to sit down. But, I agree chivalry is dead for the most part. When DD14 was on her first trip (DD2 at the time), I got on the bus with her after closing. She was sound asleep and I was standing...there were a number of younger gentlemen who just watched me struggle holding her while she slept, but none would offer me a seat. It's a shame how manners are the exception now.

Goes4FastPass
04-20-2010, 01:25 PM
No reason to flame you but I almost disagree.

I regularly give up my seat but when I do I always find myself standing while teenagers and 20somethings sit and never give up a seat.

WDW should not overload busses. It's a safety hazard and when that hazard results in injuries the company should pay.

Seasonscraps
04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
In my family, we'll all give up our seats for small children, or anyone who looks like they could use a seat. But I think it's everyone's prerogative to hold on to their seat if they want it. You just can't say "Oh, look, a man! He should give up his seat for a child." You don't know the physical condition of the man in question. My DH has back problems and has had multiple knee surgeries. There are days when I would easily give up my seat for him (but he wouldn't accept, though he should). I think we shouldn't just get on the bus and judge people when we don't know their personal histories. You think you know by looking, and sometimes you do, but often you don't.

I could have written this post word for word. Generally, we stand but there are times DH's back can't handle the jostling that comes with standing on a fast moving bus. When he needs to sit, we wait for a bus with empty seats.

I am really sorry your child was hurt. :(

Rosanne
04-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I would just like to urge people here to please remember that not all disabilites are visible.

I have ulcerative colitis and have a VERY hard time on public transportation. I cannot handle long rides away from a restroom and I have a medical card that I cary in my wallet. With that being said, my disability is on the inside, not the outside.

I know people with little kids give me a dirty look when I'm sitting and they're standing. But I wish people realize that sometimes the only way to settle my stomach is by sitting. I am suffering very much and you can't see it, even though I appear to be a healthy 25 year old.

Before you pass judgement, please remember that not all disabilities are visible.

joonyer
04-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Sorry If I offend anyone, but as a matter of general principle, I teach my children, just as I was taught, to have respect for their elders (and all others in general). In my opinion, the rights and/or privileges of children of children DO NOT supersede the rights or privileges of adults. My kids open doors for adults (of both sexes) and would give up their seats on the bus for adults.
The dearth of this opinion among many parents raising children is shown in the lack of respect in our culture that many young people have for their elders.

Note: I'm not talking about infants or toddlers, but children who are old enough to taught.

I also agree that no one should really have to be standing on buses, but it is still safer than than driving in your own car.

Daisy'sMom
04-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Common courtesy is not a given anymore. And if someone does not want to give up their seat, they should not be tarred and feathered for it. That being said, I am handicapped, I walk with a cane and have trouble walking and standing. Not once have I had to stand on a bus at Disney. But if I had to, oh well. The person sitting paid about the same as I and has the same right to that seat as I do. Just because we have children, just because we are handicapped, just because we are pregnant does not give us special privileges. If sitting means that much to someone, wait for the next bus. You're at Disney, relax. :mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Not sure if I'm putting this in the right section...
We just returned from our trip and just something I wanted to throw out there....

-- Gentlemen - I know you are also tired at the end of the day, but I really think it would be nice for you to give up your seat on the bus for children. Not women....just children. I know I might be flamed for this but I have to bring it up. My husband did if he saw a child or a woman standing. To be fair, a number of men did give up their seats. But one night I was riding a packed bus back to CSR from Epcot and boy do they pack us on! It was just me and my two kids (ages 8 and 6) and we were standing right in the front by the yellow line. Two young "gentlemen" one in their late 20's and one in their 30's were sitting right near us (they were not together...two different groups). Bus stops short (no exaggeration, people scream). My daughter hits her mouth on my son's head b/c she couldn't hold on tight enough and she started crying and got a fat lip. Bus driver asks if everyone is ok and proceeds. At this point everyone was looking at me and my kids b/c my daughter is crying but is embarrassed so she's hiding her face in my side. These two men continue to stare at us and never offered their seat even after they saw she got hurt. Left me speechless...

On another note.....I'm not wishing this on anyone but it is only a matter of time until someone is seriously injured riding on a packed bus like that at Disney. We were travelling 55 mph...I can't imagine what would happen if we were cut off by another car or a tire blew, etc. Pretty scary if you're the one standing in front with your kids.

Ok - done with my 2 cents.

Okay, got to reply your comment ..."please don't tell me they had problems with their leg or they would be in a scooter" because my mother and I both have health issues (back and leg) and neither of us rented a scooter last time...I did end up renting a wheelchair half way through but you had to turn them in at the park everyday so I rode the bus without a wheelchair or scooter...

Having said that yes it is irritating that healthy gentlemen don't give up their seats to the elderly or people with young children...my son who was 14 years old on our last trip gave up his seat several times just simply because he has been raised that way, so there are good young men out there.

mjm12000
04-20-2010, 03:08 PM
This is 2010 right...? and yet I see only Gentlemen being told to give up their seats... was there no healthy young women who could also have given up their seats? Sorry to come off negative but last time I checked woman wanted to be treated equally so how about changing the mentality of Gentlemen to People or whatever term you wish but to impy that because they were "healthy" young men in your eyes is irrelavent unless you know them personally, they may have had their own reasons for not giving up their seat. And as people have pointed out it is a courtesy to give up your seat, not a law or rule a courtesy. So maybe some of the healthy young ladies can step up once in a while and offer up a seat as well.

Frog
04-20-2010, 03:12 PM
We give up our seats...
and look at it as an opportunity to be good citizens.
But wouldnt it be nice if Disney solved this problem by connecting all the resorts with a monorail??!!:number1:

BrerGnat
04-20-2010, 03:28 PM
On our trip over spring break, we had LOTS of people give up seats for our kids. Everyone was very nice. A couple of times, we (including the kids) had to stand, but it was fine. It's not the end of the world to stand (and my kids are only 4 and 5).

I'm with everyone who says not to get on a bus if you are not willing (or able) to stand. Wait for the next one.

magicjasb
04-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Sometimes when you get on the bus, you don't realize until too late that it is standing room only. At that point, you may be too crowded in to try and get off the bus, especially when you have sleeping kids and a double stroller.

MarkC
04-20-2010, 04:05 PM
I also offer to give up my seat whenever I see someone elderly or someone needing an assist. However, I totally agree with MJM that this should not be directed at "gentlemen" only in 2010. I will open a door for anyone or lend a hand to anyone-- male or female, regardless of age, race, ethnicity, etc. However, all healthy adults should do the same. You can't have equal rights if you don't expect everyone to treat and be treated equally. Its only fair. There is a lot else I would like to say but will leave well enough alone.

TheRustyScupper
04-20-2010, 04:08 PM
1) ALL PEOPLE, ADULTS AND KIDS, ARE EQUAL AT WDW. *
2) Sorry, but first-on get seats.
3) If adults are too tired, maybe they should leave the parks earlier.
4) If kids are too tired or sleeping, maybe they should leave earlier.
5) Or, people could leave earlier to get an emptier bus.
6) One should not blame others for lack of seats.

* People that require wheelchairs or crutches deserve seats.

magicjasb
04-20-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't think anyone is blaming anyone else for not having enough seats. I think people are just trying to make the point that it seems to be more common in today's society, that people (man or woman) do not give up seats as readily to those in need as they may have in the past.:mickey:

wildernesslady
04-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Wow, this is a tough one. We always give up our seats when needed. We do however wait until this is an elderly, pregnant, or parent holding a child right by us to do so. There have been numberous times when we have gotten up and someone that appears to be physically able to stand take the seat. That is not right. I completely understand that all disabilities may not be visible. Everyone deserves a seat. No matter what time you leave the park. I think we are all guilty of getting on the first bus available after a long day at the parks. Scooters definitely need to board first, but to let 12 others board with them is wrong. That's a shame that that was allowed.

epceddie
04-20-2010, 04:58 PM
After reading all these posts, I can't tell you how glad I am that we rent a car. The added stress of having to deal with waiting in more lines for buses and worrying about whether or not you'll get a seat just isn't worth it.

disneydad153
04-20-2010, 05:07 PM
If one wants a seat that bad, they should just wait for the next bus or leave the park earlier. You cant leave a closing and not expect a packed bus. As far as the kids, you say that they were in front of or near the yellow line. Then you should have stepped aside and waited for the next bus if you wanted your kids to sit. Just my 2 cents.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-20-2010, 05:10 PM
I didn't mention this in my previous post, but I am a 40 year old woman with back problems and my mother is mid 60s with back and leg problems....it is difficult for us to stand sometimes on the bus but even we give up our seats to someone holding an infant or the elderly, but that is our choice. My 14 year old son gave up his seat several times last trip without me telling him to do so.

However, I'm sorry but I am not giving my seat up to a healthy looking 8 year old kid, nor do I think my son should have to. We have waited for another bus before when we felt we could not stand up, so that's what I would recommend. That's as far as the courtesy issue.

As far as safety goes, I do wonder with seatbelt laws why it is allowable for people to stand on the buses but that is a whole other issue in itself.

Joannelet
04-20-2010, 05:34 PM
If anything I hope Disney sees this post. Not for any of the reasons that people should be giving up seats for children but the fact that children standing on any bus is a DANGEROUS situation and it shouldn't be allowed.
I also think that if there are children seated on ANY BUS that their should be NO standing adults.
In the case of the bus accident that happened when the bus driver hit a MEARS bus that was broken down, a 5 year old had his pelvic bone broken because people fell onto him seated on the bus.
I have to say that if it was my son who was with us in December when he was a year old or in July when he was 7 months old and an adult landed on him (or more than 1) I don't think he would have survived.
This is a very dangerous/and or accident waiting to happen over there with the buses and something seriously needs to be done about it before its too late.
I also let lots of buses go by and fill up as I wanted to get a back seat with my infant on my lap that no one could fall on. I wanted a seat facing forward...not sideways as to prevent someone from falling on him if god forbid the bus got into an accident.
Last time I was there in December I was really shocked as to the safety risks involved with my infant. I did NOT feel safe with him on my lap while people stood in front of him. I was not happy.
It was the last time I will be taking a bus with a child.
I hope they fix this problem. I understand they are trying to get a lot of people to and from places...but its safety first and quality.....not quantity.

DisneyFr33k
04-20-2010, 05:38 PM
But wouldnt it be nice if Disney solved this problem by connecting all the resorts with a monorail??!!:number1:

That would be nice!! But I've been on the monorail with standing room only too before....thus, recreating the original question.....

faline
04-20-2010, 06:23 PM
That would be nice!! But I've been on the monorail with standing room only too before....thus, recreating the original question.....

I was going to say the same thing - I've often been on standing-room only monorails. There was a time when everyone who rode the monorail had a seat and you were assigned to a "door" just as you are for any ride within Disney World. However, I think these cars did not transport as many people at once as they can if folks just jam in while standing. Additionally, I don't think they handled chairs, scooters, and/or strollers as readily as the current configuration.

joelkfla
04-20-2010, 06:26 PM
It would be a very long time getting home if there were no standees on Disney buses.

We have about 300 in the fleet, and sometimes bring in charter buses to help out. Even with all that, it can take an hour to empty out the Pop Century and All Stars queues after Illuminations at Epcot.

All of the buses Disney has acquired for the past ten years have seating configurations designed to maximize aisle space for standees, as do most transit buses these days. That also helps speed up loading and unloading, and makes it easier for guests with strollers. (I always feel sorry for the poor guest who has to hoist a stroller almost over his head to get it down the narrow aisle in the older buses.) So I see little chance that Disney would eliminate standees in the foreseeable future.

We do have a spiel available that suggests guests "offer available seating to the handicapped, elderly, and those with small children." After reading this thread, I'll make sure I play it more often.

The Flying Dutchman
04-20-2010, 08:07 PM
IMHO, once you sit down, the seat is yours. No one should expect to have a seat on a bus simply because they have children with them (or because they are tired or sore or etc.) Like so many have said, if you can't stand the thought of standing on a bus or if you don't feel safe, wait for the next one. Now, personally, I will take an empty seat if available and then give it to someone who looks like they need it once they step onto the bus (be it a couple of very young kids or someone carrying a sleeping kid or someone who has troubles walking or even someone who looks like they can't take another step!) BUT it is my choice to do so. I take the seat to give it up, but I never expect someone else to do so.

Additionally, shame on you for singling out "gentlemen" with this post. I have seen just as many "ladies" who could stand up as "gentlemen." If you want equality in some places, you have to accept equality in all.

LVT
04-20-2010, 08:22 PM
My town in Iowa. Standing on buses is standard, with the exception of the orange school buses. I would like to know about others.
Sorry to hear about the accident. I hope she got over her scare. I get scared by the ones
who stand without holding on. I wonder if most WDW clients do not regularly ride buses
and have not been exposed to the courtesy of peers.

faline
04-20-2010, 08:23 PM
Let me first say that, my husband has often given up his seat for others who seem to need it more. I have as well. However, that being said, I do understand that all may not be as it appears initially. Having personally had several surgeries which impact my stamina (particularly around walking and standing), there are times when I would not have felt capable of providing my seat to others. Many "healthy" appearing individuals are anything but for a variety of reasons so we can't always judge those who do not appear to be good neighbors and citizens.

That said, I do believe that, if we are able to do so, we can be good neighbors and citizens to the dad juggling the sleeping baby on his shoulder while also hanging on to the double stroller and/or mom who is struggling to stand while also holding onto two other children who aren't quite tall enough to balance themselves well on moving vehicles.

Oftentimes, we have seen families insist their children sit on their laps to make more room for others on the bus. Just as often, though, we've seen families spread out and take up more seats than are necessary for the size of the group.

I guess I'm rambling. I think, though, that we all need to be kind to each other and, sometimes, that may mean providing a seat to someone who seems to need it more. On the other hand, I think that it also means that we don't judge the person who doesn't give up a seat on the surface impression that the person is healthy and could have easily given up his or her seat to someone else. After all, folks have, in this thread, already illustrated a number of instances in which there are reasons why a particular individual needed a seat as much as, or more than, someone was standing.

Pirate Granny
04-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Just one more word on the subject...and about waiting for another bus...It was after the MNSSHP...we waited at least one hour for a bus...Pop Century...and we (two ladies over 50) decided to wait and let people go in front of us as we wanted to sit rather than stand...yep, you know the rest of the story...we waited and were the first on the next bus...the bus loaded and lo and behold, the last two people on the bus were two ladies at least in their 70's...and yep, we got up and gave them our seats...I still laugh about it...but no matter how tired we were, and how long we waited, we weren't going to let those two ladies stand and try to hold on...

Lizzie
04-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Last time we traveled it was me and my husband and our twins were a year and a half. If we got on a bus that looked like we were going to have to stand we would do what we would need to do to get off the bus. Usually one of us stepped in and took a quick look to make sure if we could get seats. We didn't mind waiting for the next bus so we were guaranteed a seat. We were always traveling with the kids and a big double stroller and a backpack.
Our thoughts were always if we wanted a seat than it was up to us to wait for a bus that we could get a seat and not expect anyone to give us their seat. And as our family gets larger and our kids get older we will do the same thing.

faline
04-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Just one more word on the subject...and about waiting for another bus...It was after the MNSSHP...we waited at least one hour for a bus...Pop Century...and we (two ladies over 50) decided to wait and let people go in front of us as we wanted to sit rather than stand...yep, you know the rest of the story...we waited and were the first on the next bus...the bus loaded and lo and behold, the last two people on the bus were two ladies at least in their 70's...and yep, we got up and gave them our seats...I still laugh about it...but no matter how tired we were, and how long we waited, we weren't going to let those two ladies stand and try to hold on...

How nice of you! :thumbsup: And, even though you still laugh about it, you certainly also have the right to feel good about being nice to your fellow travelers!

ToashaF
04-20-2010, 09:24 PM
My mom is on a scooter on every trip due to severe mobility issues. We have a large group and if we arrive first, we get on the bus. If we arrive late, we wait for the next one....no big deal. We offer our seats to elderly, pregnant, disabled, whatever. I do agree that we don't have to, it is just nice. I offer my seat and I am a female, so I also agree it is not gender specific on who should stand. I have back and knee problems also, so if I feel I can't stand, I wait for the next bus. Let me tell you, I am not giving up my seat when I do that! LOL!

Genie1953
04-20-2010, 09:29 PM
We just returned from Disneyworld yesterday. For the most part most men stood and let the ladies and children sit. I stood a few times also to allow others to sit....at least at the beginning our our stay at Port Orleans. We were 3 days into our trip when I was running to catch a bus (go figure!!) and fell. Because I was running I actually went flying through the air about 8 feet and landed on both hands and knees and then fell over and hip my hip and elbow as well. I had two very skinned up palms, elbows, and back of one hand....and had a very bruised knee and the other shin was also bruised up. All this was quite evident to anyone who had eyes. In addition I have also had multiple foot surgeries on one foot and it tends to swell quite a bit. Since I wore comfort sandals this was also evident to others. Most of the time I was offered a seat and was grateful for it. One time a there were 3 little children (probably 8-12 yrs) sitting in a double seat. The oldest got up and told me to please sit down and was quite perturbed with his little brother who would not get up and actually moved over to take the whole seat. I would not have taken the seat from a child anyway but I thought it was so very sweet of him to think of me like that. What really got me was that there were several large groups of high school seniors staying at the Port Orleans Riverside resort and those kids usually pushed their way to the front of the line to get on the bus and then grabbed the seats making older persons and small children stand. I often saw them looking at my bruises and swollen foot but never once did one of them offer a seat. Was very disappointed in those young people and I know there are very considerate young people of that age group out there we just didn't happen to have any on any of the buses we rode. On a funny note my husband actually got into a slight argument with a young woman who was holding a sleeping child probably at least 2 years old. He asked her if she would like to sit down and she said no....it was evident she was having trouble holding the child and holding onto the rail. He kept asking her and finally told her..."look I am going to stand up whether you sit down or not so you might as well go ahead and sit because I am not going to let anyone else sit here either." She finally laughed and said ok okay you win....I will sit down.

cantgetenoughdisney
04-20-2010, 10:47 PM
I think this subject is a very difficult one. I wouldn't mind giving up a seat from time to time, BUT, we are the type of people who go to the park from open to close. I ALWAYS wait for the next bus to get a seat, because I am usually exhausted at the end of the night. My feeling is, if I stood sometimes through several buses passing by, I should not have to give up my seat. Maybe people with small children should do the same. I have been going for years, and when our children were small, we waited to be sure to get seats. We also held our kids on our lap to make room for others. It is a shame your child was injured, and to be honest with you, I have never been able to understand how I would get a ticket if my children aren't fastened in seat belts or car seats, but yet they allow children and adults for that matter to STAND on a bus! Makes no sense to me, whatsoever!

forever a child
04-20-2010, 10:53 PM
OK, I guess I will chime in too.

On our up and coming trip...DD & I will give up our seats to those who seem to obviously need it. However, I feel that if you have young children and they need to sit then you need to wait for a bus where you can have them sit. I do not intend to let an 8 yr old have my seat just because he is a child. I realize that it is often difficult to see how full the buses are...if it gets that bad...I would ask for a seat, I know not appropriate but hey, I would do anything for my daughter so if she need to and I shouldn't have gotten on the bus...I would be inappropriate cause I'm a parent!;) Now that DD is 15 I shouldn't have that problem. We have gone places where there was only one available seat and she always has offered it to me first.

:offtopic:I am going to be in the minority and say that I think men should do these things...However, if you dont want to appear as a gentlemen...don't do it. But I point these things out to my DD and I hope that she is smart enough to marry a man who opens car doors and practices things that make a true gentleman wonderful.

:mickey:

Hammer
04-21-2010, 12:50 AM
I have resisted posting up to this point, but I really want to chime in. My sister and I have both offered our seats to people on WDW buses when we ride them (we rent a car and use it to go to some parks). We both live in major metropolitan areas and are accustomed to standing on buses and subways. I do agree that if you do not want to take the chance of you or your child having to stand, then maybe wait for the next bus where you will all have a seat.

Many times, when I have offered my seat to a man, I get something along the lines of "I can't take a seat from a woman" spiel. First off, I would not have offered my seat if I couldn't handle it! Does taking a seat from a woman offend some chauvinistic principle which I think is outdated? So not only do I need to fight for equality in my industry (which is 82% men), I need to do it while on vacation too!

javamama
04-21-2010, 12:53 AM
There should be a limit on how many people can be seated with a wheelchair...When my dad was in one, my husband stayed with him in the handicapped line, and the rest of us waited in line with everyone else. That's how it should be.~~Pirate Granny
I couldn't agree more, I saw a HUGE fight at a bus stop at the Poly two years ago over the same thing. My party stepped up over this same thing, it's crazy 10 people don't need to take advantage of the scooter person's early entry on a bus--it ticks me off:mad:

As for giving up seats it's a common act of being a decent adult/young adult, it's one of the rights to give up your seat to someone who needs it w/a small child, pregnant, seniors who may need the seat. People can figure it out, it's such a nothing thing to do by helping someone else in the easiest, and smallest way---IMO! We give up our seats, it's right to help someone who needs it.

Disney Doll
04-21-2010, 07:33 AM
On a funny note my husband actually got into a slight argument with a young woman who was holding a sleeping child probably at least 2 years old. He asked her if she would like to sit down and she said no....it was evident she was having trouble holding the child and holding onto the rail. He kept asking her and finally told her..."look I am going to stand up whether you sit down or not so you might as well go ahead and sit because I am not going to let anyone else sit here either." She finally laughed and said ok okay you win....I will sit down.

I've had similar exchanges over seat offers. It's not super easy to stand while juggling a 30lb 2 year old, but I am young & athletic. I figure there is always someone who could use a seat more than me. I am always flattered to have a seat offered, but I usually won't take it.

DizneyRox
04-21-2010, 08:26 AM
I regularly give up my seat but when I do I always find myself standing while teenagers and 20somethings sit and never give up a seat.
I have given up, giving up my seat just for this reason. I used to offer it up, only to have it "transfered" to someone else, often a teenager, etc.

Now it's first come first served for seats. If I NEED one, I'll wait for the next bus if it appears there's going to be standing room only. If I can do it, anyone can do it.

DVC2004
04-21-2010, 08:39 AM
There's not alot of courtesy left in society these days. I am OK with standing (I am a woman) and I have given my seat up to elderly people on the WDW buses, or anyone who looked like they needed it more than me. I havge had my kids do the same. It's awkward to stand over people in scooters, I always feel like I am going to fall. My kids are older and they stood- practically fell over whenever the bus starts and stops. I feel like it's dangerous to stand. Anyway- we rent a car. Problem solved.:D

TheVBs
04-21-2010, 09:05 AM
I have to be honest, nothing would make my DH and I feel more pathetic than keeping our butts planted in a seat, while watching someone else struggle, when we can easily stand, especially with the lame rationalization that we paid as much to be there. Saying that is just as sad and wrong as if we said we knowingly got on standing room only buses with the expectation that others will give up their seats for one or more of us. We will give up our seats to others who need them more regardless of age or gender.

Now, our DDs cannot stand so easily. One is too small to hold on well (even DH and I have had a hard time staying on our feet on occasion!), and the other is extremely prone to motion sickness and WILL throw up if standing. That being said, we do wait until we can make sure that at least they can sit. But, as has been pointed out, it's not always easy to judge whether or not you'll get a seat, and sometimes by the time you realize that they're all taken, there's not always an easy way to get back off. On packed buses, when we don't see someone else who needs our seats more, the kids sit on our laps.

We help make a great vacation for ourselves by not being rushed, waiting for buses when we feel that would work out best and by treating others around us with that magical Disney attitude that we rarely encounter at other destinations.

All this is just common courtesy. You can opt to use that courtesy or not. Although I'm very uplifted by the many people here who say they opt to use it! :mickey:

Bohms4
04-21-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm laughing right now b/c I knew this was going to happen when I started this topic.
First off, yes, everyone is right....I should not have put Gentlemen in the Subject line - I should have put any ABLE BODIED PERSON, my fault. I always give up my seat for a child or a pregnant woman or a woman carrying a baby.
I understand that people have disabilities that are not visible....I'm not that ignorant. I highly doubt that every single person on that bus that was sitting had an invisible disability, that's my point.
Yes, I could have waited for the next bus to ensure that we got seats but I didn't.
I was just wondering what happened to common courtesy....that was my point. Sorry if I didn't convey it properly.

TheVBs
04-21-2010, 09:48 AM
I'm laughing right now b/c I knew this was going to happen when I started this topic.
First off, yes, everyone is right....I should not have put Gentlemen in the Subject line - I should have put any ABLE BODIED PERSON, my fault. I always give up my seat for a child or a pregnant woman or a woman carrying a baby.
I understand that people have disabilities that are not visible....I'm not that ignorant. I highly doubt that every single person on that bus that was sitting had an invisible disability, that's my point.
Yes, I could have waited for the next bus to ensure that we got seats but I didn't.
I was just wondering what happened to common courtesy....that was my point. Sorry if I didn't convey it properly.

I really think that you did convey it well. I doubt there's a single person who hasn't made the mistake of getting on the bus when they would have been better off waiting, and I don't think it's unreasonable to feel dismayed by the horrible lack of common courtesy you encountered.

Scar
04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I have developed an ingenious way to avoid this situation altogether.... I try not to use the buses, especially at closing.

Bohms4
04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
I really think that you did convey it well. I doubt there's a single person who hasn't made the mistake of getting on the bus when they would have been better off waiting, and I don't think it's unreasonable to feel dismayed by the horrible lack of common courtesy you encountered.

Thanks VBs - that makes me feel better! :)

Mickey'sGirl
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
I have resisted posting up to this point, but I really want to chime in. My sister and I have both offered our seats to people on WDW buses when we ride them (we rent a car and use it to go to some parks). We both live in major metropolitan areas and are accustomed to standing on buses and subways. I do agree that if you do not want to take the chance of you or your child having to stand, then maybe wait for the next bus where you will all have a seat. My thoughts too... I commute in a huge city with millions of other people. Standing is expected in my world. Chivalry is long gone (and not missed) in the Big City! That said, if I am seated and there appears to be someone with a greater need than me (I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and my right foot does not work), I give them my seat. I do not expect anyone to give up their seat for me, or my kids (our youngest is 6), but I will plant the little one in one if it made available. Thankfully, we do not often take the buses (we usually stay at the Boardwalk and can walk to parks, or we drive) ... so we avoid the issue altogether!!

Bohms4
04-21-2010, 10:18 AM
On our trip over spring break, we had LOTS of people give up seats for our kids. Everyone was very nice. A couple of times, we (including the kids) had to stand, but it was fine. It's not the end of the world to stand (and my kids are only 4 and 5).

I'm with everyone who says not to get on a bus if you are not willing (or able) to stand. Wait for the next one.

Definitely didn't say it was the end of the world. Just a topic of conversation. A lot of people gave up their seats for my kids too throughout the trip...this was just one particular instance, that's all. My kids also stood up a lot, I'm just saying where is the common courtesy - that's all.

Carolanne
04-21-2010, 01:32 PM
I've come to think of common courtesy on any kind of public transportation to be an unexpected pleasantry, rather than the norm. The years I spent riding SEPTA (more than half of my life!) when I lived in Philly prepared me for this, lol. Standing on public transport was the norm when I lived in Philly.

I have given up my seat while in Disney, and I've been the reluctant recipient of a given-up seat both at home & in Disney.

Within the last 5 years or so, maybe longer, I started going to Disney during the non-busy season, so I don't encounter many if any overly crowded buses. On the rare occasions I am on a crowded bus, I try to offer my seat to anyone who looks like they could possibly be my parents' or grandparents' ages (the men always decline, lol), or parents carrying young children.

DisneyHoneymooners
04-22-2010, 01:08 PM
As a 45yo male I often give up my seat for those I think should sit. My DW does the same, but I often wonder why when the bus is full parents cant put children on their laps or make 2 share 1 seat. Last year many elderly people were left to stand while small children rode in their own seat or 10yo and up were seated. I would think a child this age could stand much easier than some of the elderly.

Olivia's Daddy
04-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I stand, unless there are empty seats when we pull away to our final destination. My real concern would be the over-stuffing of buses. It is a safety issue. I will not get on a bus if I would have to stand on the first 1/3 of it. Any sudden stop could be bad news.

tdk316
04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Maybe not so much blame/hate/outrage should be directed at the other riders, but rather at yourself for dragging your kid(s) around when it is so busy? Since when is it someone elses' problem that your kid is tired and you're afraid of them getting hurt? As other posters have commented, rent a car, wait for another bus, leave earlier, there is always another option... take responsibility for your children otherwise they'll grow up blaming the world (or other bus riders) for their problems like you are in this case.

Our last trip to WDW we had a five-month-old and a 2.5 year-old and never had to stand on the buses. Here's the kicker, we were never riding the buses right before a park opened or when a park was closing because (duh!) we have two small children and knew we wouldn't be comfortable standing. We either went really early to the parks, got a coffee (at least at AK) and saw the opening shows or waited a bit and took in some of the sights at the resort before heading out. Even on the monorail we had people offering us their seats but it was more convenient for us to each hold one end of the stroller while standing.

In our experience we had people (WDW staffers and other vacationers) falling over themselves to help us out the entire time we were there. We were really impressed how easy it was to travel with the kids which is why we're going back in October! :mickey:

wdw dude
04-22-2010, 03:04 PM
For the most part, I stand anyway. In the few instances where I do take a seat, I would offer it to someone who really needs it regardless of age or gender.

If anyone is concerned about the safety of standing, then they should wait for the next bus. Sure, it would be nice if they were offered a seat, but to feel that they or their children are entitled to a seat is just not right. People should not expect a total stranger to give up the seat they waited in line for just because they don't want to wait for another bus.

Would I automatically give up my seat for a 6 or 8 year old? I don't really know. To be 100% honest, I would probably say no.

:mickey:

big blue and hairy
04-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I have given up my seat and so has DW. I agree 100% that this should not be gender specific. I would be much more inclined to get up for an elderly or "in need" man than a young able bodied woman.

I have to say though, as someone with hair that has "lightened" over the years, when someone offered me their seat I both appreciated the sentiment and wanted to smack 'em ;).

:sulley:

Kaps
04-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I have stood many times while visiting. It is common courtesy to let the young and elderly sit if you are able to stand. I do think they load the buses up too much, some standing is ok but not to the point where people can get hurt. There are still some decent people who do offer there seats when needed.

Queenbee2
04-22-2010, 03:17 PM
This post has me torn. I know when I was single, I had no idea how hard it was to have kids and ride the bus.
I rarely got up for people with young children or pregnant. I fel;t I had every right to the seat as they did.
Now as a mom. I totally get it and will get up for a family with young children. Especially if the mom is carrying a small child. THat is brutal on the bus.
But I have to say that in no way do I think people should do it. How can I judge how deserving someone is? you just don't know the situation.
In the end I think Disney over packs busses. It is just too dangerous.

EeyoresBestFriend
04-22-2010, 03:20 PM
I am going to severly limit my response ~ I tried not to get into this one but . . .

I do agree that courtesy is scarce these days and that is sad.

I also agree that they should limit the party size boarding with an ECV to two or three.

I agree, to a point, about giving up my seat if I deem someone needs it more than I do, but I also find it very hard to be couteous to the same parents and children that have been mashing my ankles/ shins, and running over my feet all day at the park with their strollers with only a token 'sorry', if that. :mad:

I'll stop there . . . .

Ian
04-22-2010, 03:24 PM
... I also find it very hard to be couteous to the same parents and children that have been mashing my ankles/ shins, and running over my feet all day at the park with their strollers with only a token 'sorry', if that. :mad:As someone who frequently pilots a stroller through the theme parks, I'd say the same thing about the people who abruptly stop in front of me or walk directly in my way without ever noticing that I'm there.

I can tell you that, for me, anytime I run into someone with one of our strollers it's completely intentional.

Anyway ... I'm sure most people will think I'm old fashioned or living in the 50's or out of touch or whatever, but I was raised to show respect for others.

I give up my seat to women, children, senior citizens, the disabled, or anyone who looks like they need it more than I do for that matter.

crltkcagle
04-22-2010, 07:42 PM
I usually always give up my seat for children, or expecting moms, or moms who are holding babies, or elderly folks. Its just the right thing to do.

LauraByTheSea
04-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I agree with the original poster - common courtesy just doesn't seem to be around much anymore. It's almost like every man for himself, or every family anyway. People, the ones who stop right in front of you, or run into with their stroller and don't acknowledge/apologize, kind of have blinder's on when they are in WDW or any other amusement park for that matter. You look out for your own and "drive defensively". I myself always say excuse me and I'm sorry, but a lot of people don't and I think, unfortunately, you have to deal with it and move on. And if someone doesn't get up for you when you really, and obviously, need a seat, just do the best you can. Do I think it's right? No, of course not. Would I get up for someone? Absolutely. Would I be upset if someone didn't get up for me? Probably, but if I had special circumstances I'd find another, more comfortable way. But then I'm also the one who stands back to watch others run onto a ride because they think it's gonna disappear if they don't get there in time. ;)

luvdiznee
04-22-2010, 08:48 PM
There was a time I was standing on the bus, and because of the driver going a bit fast, I had almost fallen. :thedolls:Nothing said, nothing done. Glad I didn't fall, though. But from then on we never get on a crowded bus. And I've put this in writing/complaint to Disney about packing people in like sardines. I told them I wouldn't allow my daughter to go in the lap of some male stranger! Yes, he told her to come.

crazypoohbear
04-22-2010, 09:31 PM
How can you tell by looking at someone if they are "healthy" enough to give up their seat?

What is the age cutoff for giving up your seat to a child?

What is the age when a child should give up their seat for you?

If a family is travelling together with someone in a wheelchair and they have dinner reservations and the bus is packed why should they split up and miss the reservation because "someone" didn't feel that the family should travel together?

If you are healthy and travelling in a large group can I tell you that you can't all get on the bus together?

I "look" healthy and youngish, I'm not.
I have a 7 year old nephew who "looks" healthy, he is not, in fact he is eligible for make a wish.... but you would not know it from looking at him.
Years ago on a bus my son's gave up their seats for women, elderly etc. Once they were very tired but gave up the seat to an older woman who then turned around had her grandchildren (about the same age as my kids take the seats!!!!) My kids were left feeling duped and foolish, while the other kids sat smirking.
So, when I get a seat on a bus, I'm sitting!
I'm hot, tired, sore and cranky.
I do think that disney should not have people standing.

EeyoresBestFriend
04-22-2010, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE=Ian;2044609]As someone who frequently pilots a stroller through the theme parks, I'd say the same thing about the people who abruptly stop in front of me or walk directly in my way without ever noticing that I'm there.

I can tell you that, for me, anytime I run into someone with one of our strollers it's completely intentional
Anyway ... I'm sure most people will think I'm old fashioned or living in the 50's or out of touch or whatever, but I was raised to show respect for others.

I agree with you about the respect, Ian, I don't know if you happen to notice but I am Canadian. And as the world loves to point out, we are quite well known for apologizing for everything.

I move off the main thoroughfare before I stop, I look behind me to make sure I do not let the door go in someones face and I hold it for them if we're going in, I watch for people taking pictures and avoid stepping in front of them and have often offered to take the picture, so the whole group can be in it.

The point I was making was that consideration, like respect, is a two way street.

Please consider before you decide to 'intentionally' run someone down, that it might not have been their fault but the person in front of them . . . . ;)

CardsFan81
04-22-2010, 10:42 PM
AAAHHHH - the flashbacks.

I'm a woman and I don't expect anyone to give up their seat for me. I also don't expect my husband to give up his seat to be a "gentleman."

I was raised to be polite and respect people, but there are plenty of ways to do that. Giving up a seat doesn't make someone "polite" or make them a "gentleman." Several factors go into those things.

My husband and I have no children, so we've never had the issue of tired children, but I can say we've been tired and I've been on the receiving end of parents giving me the stink eye for not giving up a seat, but I'm sorry, I've paid just as much money to be there and waited in line just like everyone else, and if I get a seat and I don't feel like giving it up, sorry.

There have been several occasions where we were tired and knew we'd want a seat, so waited for the next bus.

I CHOOSE to go to the park when I'm tired, just like someone else may CHOOSE to go to the park with several children or someone may CHOOSE to go to the park pregnant. Regardless, we all have the same chance of getting a seat on a bus. If you get a seat - great. If not, you shouldn't expect someone else to give their seat up to accommodate your needs.

I wouldn't expect someone to give me their spot on an attraction in the park, so why would I expect them to give up a seat on the transportation?

With that said, I want to mention that I've given up a seat plenty of times, but I don't think it should be expected of me and honestly, I really don't appreciate when it seems to be expected.

SurferStitch
04-23-2010, 07:44 AM
Wow, I have to say I'm dismayed by the quantity of rude and smug posts, mostly coming from those who don't feel they should give up their seat for anyone. Sad.

As for intentionally running into someone with a stroller... sad. If someone would intentionally run into me just because I'm in their way, it would get ugly. Those of us without strollers don't do something rude and obnoxious like that when strollers do the same to us (I mean, what would we do, shove you?), so please don't condone such immature actions.

But, this is not about strollers....

My DH and I rarely sit on the buses. We don't get into the semantics of what is a disability, who "deserves" a seat, how old is too old, how young is too young, is a woman worth giving up a seat for....whatever. We are just respectful people, and and part of that is standing to leave our seats for someone who might really appreciate it. I will say, I think I've only been offered a seat 1 or 2 times in the many trips we've made to WDW.

DH has MS, and gets tired easily anymore, so he would love to sit on the bus ride back to the resort at the end of the day, but he knows he's still healthy enough to leave that seat for someone else like the 80 year old grandma, the toddler, or the mom who is at the end of her rope. He also just feels that..okay, flame suit on...men should give their seat to a lady, no matter her age or health status. Gulp...sounds so 1950's, huh? Well, that's how he is, and I think it's quite nice. He only sits if there are empty seats available.

I just wish people would get over the whole "gender appropriate" thing. Stop trying to sound so politically correct. I'm also sick of hearing people say "you can't tell I'm sick by looking at me", or "I paid just as much as everyone else for this trip, so I will sit", etc. And, no....not everyone pays the same, so just stop it.

I'm sorry I'm ranting a little, but after pages of the same back biting and venom spitting, I'm sick of it. We'll be back in WDW in just 9 days, and we'll be giving up our seats again, and not worrying about if the person we gave it to was deserving enough or not. I can't worry about such petty things.

OP - I am so sorry that you had that incident on the bus, and believe me, you would have had at least two seats made available to you if we were there.

Jenemmy
04-23-2010, 07:45 AM
I decided a long time ago that I if I expected everyone else to do things the way I chose to do them, I would be very disappointed. We all just need to live our life and make our decisions in a way we are comfortable with -- 'cause we sure as heck can't control anyone else!!

There was a time people who didn't do what **I** thought they should do upset me, but guess what -- i don't know these strangers, I don't know their story and I don't know what condition their life is in at any given moment. Sometimes you just gotta relax, put a smile on your face cause you are at Disney and realize that sore feet are a given!

The whole "parties boarding with someone in a wheelchair thing".....well, I gotta tell you. If someone lives their life with a disability I don't have and deals with things on a daily basis that I take for granted -- then LET them board a bus with their family. In the long run, I will not be nearly so put out in my fantasy world as they probably are in the real world.

By the way -- I will happily hop up for anyone on the bus. Doesn't bother me at all. However, I have a strong, healthy looking, gorgeous 12 year old son who has a severe disability. He will not be hopping up. If anyone wants to glare at me in anger on a bus over that, glare away.

VWL Mom
04-23-2010, 07:54 AM
No sure when courtesy went from a favor that a giver can extend to a right a receiver expects.

cer
04-23-2010, 08:21 AM
No sure when courtesy went from a favor that a giver can extend to a right a receiver expects.

Well said.

Mitzie
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Our twins were 8 their first trip and at no point did I expect someone to give up their seat for them on a bus. We look at it as you are only on there a short while, and we are blessed with healthy children who can stand a bit. That very same trip I had issues associated with my Lupus and the doctor wanted me in a wheelchair and all. I didn't go that route. There was plenty of times I stood on a bus and that was ok. I looked healthy enough and there are people out there in much worse shape than me. I try to just remember the Golden Rule...treat others as you want to be treated. If I was holding a sleeping 4 yr. old It would be nice to sit, so if I see someone in that circumstance I give up my seat. If by chance you give up your seat to someone who really didn't need it look at it as good Karma coming your way...

wjrhw
04-23-2010, 09:17 AM
I always give up my seat. I am very caple of riding the bus standing up and I've actually come to enjoy it. I only sit, when there are seats available and no one is standing. I only hope that some day when I can't stand up on the bus anymore, someone offers me a seat.

DizneyRox
04-23-2010, 09:49 AM
I try to just remember the Golden Rule...treat others as you want to be treated.
Somewhere during my lifetime, this changed to "Do unto others before they do unto you."

Sad, but it's the world we live in... When in Rome...

elmjimmlm
04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
We are all able to give up a seat in my family for anyone who may need it... My boys always want to give theirs up for someone else and I am very proud... I think that when a 10 year old offers you his seat then that is saying something...:mickey:
When did trying to be nice to others become a bad thing?

Phantod
04-23-2010, 10:21 AM
You'all have convinced me. Next time we go to WDW, we'll rent a car. :mickey:

DadTriton
04-23-2010, 10:40 AM
How can you tell by looking at someone if they are "healthy" enough to give up their seat?

What is the age cutoff for giving up your seat to a child?

What is the age when a child should give up their seat for you?

If a family is travelling together with someone in a wheelchair and they have dinner reservations and the bus is packed why should they split up and miss the reservation because "someone" didn't feel that the family should travel together?

If you are healthy and travelling in a large group can I tell you that you can't all get on the bus together?

I "look" healthy and youngish, I'm not.
I have a 7 year old nephew who "looks" healthy, he is not, in fact he is eligible for make a wish.... but you would not know it from looking at him.
Years ago on a bus my son's gave up their seats for women, elderly etc. Once they were very tired but gave up the seat to an older woman who then turned around had her grandchildren (about the same age as my kids take the seats!!!!) My kids were left feeling duped and foolish, while the other kids sat smirking.
So, when I get a seat on a bus, I'm sitting!
I'm hot, tired, sore and cranky.
I do think that disney should not have people standing.

I agree. First come first served. How does one know that a healthy looking 25 year old man didn't just get a cast off a broken foot? Or has a giant bleeding blister from bad shoes? Should everyone get a physical before hand and have a score card pin on their shirt? Many of the planning websites and posts will tell you plan on a lot of walking, standing and heat at a Disney park. This includes the monorail and buses.

Imagineer1981
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM
My father and I always give up our seats, hold open doors, etc. It was the way he was raised and the way he raised me. I hope to teach my son those same values and manners

big blue and hairy
04-23-2010, 10:57 AM
On the subject of families of wheelchair guests, I can understand how it can be frustrating on first blush when a crowd of 20 people gets in the bus with a wheelchair person. The thing is, the group should not have to take more than one bus in my opinion. If you make the rest of the group wait to stand, you have a good chance of separating them and that's just not right. For the record, I am not part of a family that has someone in a wheelchair, I just think the family should stay together.

:sulley:

elmjimmlm
04-23-2010, 11:00 AM
I don't think that you should give up a seat because you are wondering if someone may or may not have a disability...If there is a Mom or Dad holding a small child or someone that is quite a bit older than you, why not offer? It's call common courtesy...

Bohms4
04-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Maybe not so much blame/hate/outrage should be directed at the other riders, but rather at yourself for dragging your kid(s) around when it is so busy? Since when is it someone elses' problem that your kid is tired and you're afraid of them getting hurt? As other posters have commented, rent a car, wait for another bus, leave earlier, there is always another option... take responsibility for your children otherwise they'll grow up blaming the world (or other bus riders) for their problems like you are in this case.

Our last trip to WDW we had a five-month-old and a 2.5 year-old and never had to stand on the buses. Here's the kicker, we were never riding the buses right before a park opened or when a park was closing because (duh!) we have two small children and knew we wouldn't be comfortable standing. We either went really early to the parks, got a coffee (at least at AK) and saw the opening shows or waited a bit and took in some of the sights at the resort before heading out. Even on the monorail we had people offering us their seats but it was more convenient for us to each hold one end of the stroller while standing.

In our experience we had people (WDW staffers and other vacationers) falling over themselves to help us out the entire time we were there. We were really impressed how easy it was to travel with the kids which is why we're going back in October! :mickey:

Reread my post...I do not blame everyone else for my issues and I didn't say that my kids were tired. It was a topic of conversation which is why I posted it. I just couldn't believe the lack of common courtesy at that moment, that's all.....I know my family would not have let that happen. We're obviously too nice.

Bohms4
04-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Wow, I have to say I'm dismayed by the quantity of rude and smug posts, mostly coming from those who don't feel they should give up their seat for anyone. Sad.

As for intentionally running into someone with a stroller... sad. If someone would intentionally run into me just because I'm in their way, it would get ugly. Those of us without strollers don't do something rude and obnoxious like that when strollers do the same to us (I mean, what would we do, shove you?), so please don't condone such immature actions.

But, this is not about strollers....

My DH and I rarely sit on the buses. We don't get into the semantics of what is a disability, who "deserves" a seat, how old is too old, how young is too young, is a woman worth giving up a seat for....whatever. We are just respectful people, and and part of that is standing to leave our seats for someone who might really appreciate it. I will say, I think I've only been offered a seat 1 or 2 times in the many trips we've made to WDW.

DH has MS, and gets tired easily anymore, so he would love to sit on the bus ride back to the resort at the end of the day, but he knows he's still healthy enough to leave that seat for someone else like the 80 year old grandma, the toddler, or the mom who is at the end of her rope. He also just feels that..okay, flame suit on...men should give their seat to a lady, no matter her age or health status. Gulp...sounds so 1950's, huh? Well, that's how he is, and I think it's quite nice. He only sits if there are empty seats available.

I just wish people would get over the whole "gender appropriate" thing. Stop trying to sound so politically correct. I'm also sick of hearing people say "you can't tell I'm sick by looking at me", or "I paid just as much as everyone else for this trip, so I will sit", etc. And, no....not everyone pays the same, so just stop it.

I'm sorry I'm ranting a little, but after pages of the same back biting and venom spitting, I'm sick of it. We'll be back in WDW in just 9 days, and we'll be giving up our seats again, and not worrying about if the person we gave it to was deserving enough or not. I can't worry about such petty things.

OP - I am so sorry that you had that incident on the bus, and believe me, you would have had at least two seats made available to you if we were there.

Thank you Surfer Stitch, people are making me out to look like I'm a horrible person and that the world owes me something and I'm not like that AT ALL. I teach my children proper manners and always remind them to "do the right thing". Shame on me for thinking that other people should have the same common courtesy that I was brought up with. I appreciate that you see where I'm coming from. COMMON COURTESY PEOPLE!!!

DVCJohn
04-23-2010, 12:25 PM
An earlier post spoke to the fact that not all disabilities are visible. This is very true.
I am in my early 50,s and I have Degenerative Disc Disease in my lower back. 3 of the discs are completely gone and It is bone on bone. I do not look like I have a disability. I usually travel with my elderly parents (ages 85 and 86). My mother is in a wheelchair and I push her through the parks.
Typically if the bus is crowded I will make sure my mother and father are accommodated and I will stand. But if the back is acting up I will take an available seat. And I do get a little "Ticked Off" when someone comes on the bus and thinks that I should give up my seat for them. Again folk someone can look able bodied but have a hidden condition.

Bohms4
04-23-2010, 12:30 PM
An earlier post spoke to the fact that not all disabilities are visible. This is very true.
I am in my early 50,s and I have Degenerative Disc Disease in my lower back. 3 of the discs are completely gone and It is bone on bone. I do not look like I have a disability. I usually travel with my elderly parents (ages 85 and 86). My mother is in a wheelchair and I push her through the parks.
Typically if the bus is crowded I will make sure my mother and father are accommodated and I will stand. But if the back is acting up I will take an available seat. And I do get a little "Ticked Off" when someone comes on the bus and thinks that I should give up my seat for them. Again folk someone can look able bodied but have a hidden condition.

I agree with you 100% but I think it's safe to say that not every single person on that bus had a hidden disability (men or women).

PopPhan
04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
I agree with you 100% but I think it's safe to say that not every single person on that bus had a hidden disability (men or women).

It still remains a moot point, as you could have easily seen that the bus was full and waited for the next bus. Don not put the blame on others when you won't do what is right for yourself and your kids.

wdw dude
04-23-2010, 01:07 PM
:exactly:

TheVBs
04-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Thank you Surfer Stitch, people are making me out to look like I'm a horrible person and that the world owes me something and I'm not like that AT ALL. I teach my children proper manners and always remind them to "do the right thing". Shame on me for thinking that other people should have the same common courtesy that I was brought up with. I appreciate that you see where I'm coming from. COMMON COURTESY PEOPLE!!!

You definitely did not come off that way and I'm really sorry you're being made to feel that way now. Try not to let the indignation of some here over what some others see as a simple act of kindness make you feel like a bad person. At no point did you say that you and your family deserved a seat more than others. You just, understandably, wondered how someone else could watch your child get injured and be unaffected by it. As I said before, no matter what's said here, everyone has made the mistake of getting on a bus when they should have waited, staying too long at the parks or any number of the small things that could cause a hiccup in an otherwise great vacation.

Seriously people. She made the mistake of getting on the bus when it was standing room only and it didn't work out for her little girls well. Maybe she thought she was avoiding the mistake of waiting too long to get them back to the hotel. If she had waited and her kids were melting down at the bus stop would you be criticizing her for not getting on the standing room only bus? For all of you coming down on her like a ton of bricks, I dearly hope that others are as forgiving of you when you make a mistake in judgment. :)

Let's all lighten up a bit and take that wonderful Disney advice that's played over the bus speakers, be considerate of your fellow guests. :mickey:

Bohms4
04-23-2010, 01:52 PM
It still remains a moot point, as you could have easily seen that the bus was full and waited for the next bus. Don not put the blame on others when you won't do what is right for yourself and your kids.

Once again, not blaming others for my choice to get on the bus. Move on....

Bohms4
04-23-2010, 01:54 PM
You definitely did not come off that way and I'm really sorry you're being made to feel that way now. Try not to let the indignation of some here over what some others see as a simple act of kindness make you feel like a bad person. At no point did you say that you and your family deserved a seat more than others. You just, understandably, wondered how someone else could watch your child get injured and be unaffected by it. As I said before, no matter what's said here, everyone has made the mistake of getting on a bus when they should have waited, staying too long at the parks or any number of the small things that could cause a hiccup in an otherwise great vacation.

Seriously people. She made the mistake of getting on the bus when it was standing room only and it didn't work out for her little girls well. Maybe she thought she was avoiding the mistake of waiting too long to get them back to the hotel. If she had waited and her kids were melting down at the bus stop would you be criticizing her for not getting on the standing room only bus? For all of you coming down on her like a ton of bricks, I dearly hope that others are as forgiving of you when you make a mistake in judgment. :)

Let's all lighten up a bit and take that wonderful Disney advice that's played over the bus speakers, be considerate of your fellow guests. :mickey:

Thanks VB's. Nice to see some people on here have a level head.

Gator
04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Well, I'm a little late on this conversation. Let me first say there are a few people who give up seats for kids on those buses. The worst offenders: the dozen people who get to board early with their family member in a wheelchair/motoscooter. They'll get on board before anyone else, and you can forget about them giving up a seat for a mom with two kids and a stroller. I know this becaue it has happened to my wife and kids nearly every day on my last two trips. I really wish Disney would fix this.

LVT
04-23-2010, 02:26 PM
kudos to supersticher.

Bohms4
04-23-2010, 04:01 PM
kudos to supersticher.

One more note to SurferStitch: you and your husband will always have good karma coming your way....you both deserve it.

SurferStitch
04-23-2010, 04:41 PM
One more note to SurferStitch: you and your husband will always have good karma coming your way....you both deserve it.

Good! We could really use some right now!! HA!

Ian
04-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Somewhere during my lifetime, this changed to "Do unto others before they do unto you."

Sad, but it's the world we live in... When in Rome...I agree with you, but I flat out refuse to succumb to the "When in Rome" syndrome.

No way ... I fully subscribe to the "practice random acts of kindness" approach to life. Do others do the same? Nope, but I don't care because I don't have to look them in the mirror every day.

Signed,

A Guy Who Will Continue To Give Up His Seat To Others Until He Can No Longer Stand

Bohms4
04-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I agree with you, but I flat out refuse to succumb to the "When in Rome" syndrome.

No way ... I fully subscribe to the "practice random acts of kindness" approach to life. Do others do the same? Nope, but I don't care because I don't have to look them in the mirror every day.

Signed,

A Guy Who Will Continue To Give Up His Seat To Others Until He Can No Longer Stand

:thumbsup:

Superzeus84
04-23-2010, 10:23 PM
uhhhhh fail. I would get up for an Elderly woman or someone that was handicaped......thats about it.

Hammer
04-24-2010, 12:37 AM
I agree with you, but I flat out refuse to succumb to the "When in Rome" syndrome.

Signed,

That's fine, Ian, but does the same hold true for your wife? That's my only issue that it is all equal. I do agree that people, regardless of gender, should do unto others as you would have done unto you. If others do not practice that, or can't accept the offer because it came from a women, that is their loss, not mine.

Daddy Mouse
04-24-2010, 09:10 AM
To the initial poster: Hindsight is a great thing to have if you use it to evaluate what took place. In your case, you are blaming two men for not giving up their seats. Did you consider waiting for the next bus so your children could sit? You are to be blamed for your daughter's misshap in my opinion.

To the other posters, If you are able to give up your seat on a bus for another human, why not do so. It really is a small sacrafice and a greatly appreciated gesture.

My DS (9) at the time had given up his seat to an elderly lady. When a teenager sitting with his friends near said "I'm tired, I'm not giving my seat up for anyone." My son turned to him and said "I would give up my seat for your grandmother." The other teens sitting began giving up their seats to people.

Mrs Bus Driver
04-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Wow what a long thread and heated subject. I am a 50ish woman and have had a young man offer a seat when I didn't need it. I took it only because he insisted, it was nice and made us both feel good. I have also ridden on the bus after illuminations. After wearing the wrong shoes all day and stood the whole way, mentally kicking myself for not wearing better shoes. Courtesy is not common and never has been. If it was no one would notice when it happens. I don't expect anyone to give up a seat on a bus when we are all tired (I have given up mine several times but). Now I park my big tushie on a bench and watch the world go by talk to the person I am with and enjoy myself until things lighten up. What is the point of stressing when you are on vacation? :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
04-24-2010, 10:02 AM
After three pages of discussion, I think this topic has about run its course. Time to move on.