PDA

View Full Version : Mom Alone With Two Kids

iheartdisney
04-20-2010, 09:41 AM
I'm contemplating a trip to Disney next year as a single mom with my two boys. The economy has hit us hard and since my husband isn't nearly the fan we are of WDW, he'd be just as happy staying home. It would be me and DS7 and DS8. I'm most concerned about rides that only seat two people. How do I juggle things like roller coasters with a timid child but the other one isn't quite ready to ride alone? Are there other issues I should be aware of? I've never done a trip by myself with the kids without adequate "help". Am I crazy to even consider this? Help!

mickeytravel
04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
I do it all the time! My husband travels alo in the summer so i take my kids and go. We usually end up at DW more than not. I love it. I get to make all the decisions. Where we go, where we eat etc. As for the rides, just go over it before you go to the park. usally i am the one that sits alone but there are really only a few that have 2 seats. Go and enjoy, there are more perks than cons.

clausjo
04-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I do this all the time. My husband is like yours, he'll go with us, but not as often as I'd like, so he stays home. Your kids are old enough to understand that may not be able to ride everything because one may not want to ride a certain coaster or something, but there is plenty to do. I really enjoy taking them and we get to spend some great time together. The only thing I haven't done myself with them is the water parks. We've never gone and I'm not sure what to expect. But, I think that once we all go together, I'll be able to decide if I can tackle that on my own as well. Do it - you'll all love it and have a wonderful time.

cantgetenoughdisney
04-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I agree with mickeytravel. Go for it! We always go without my husband. He went when the kids were very small, but now really doesn't care either way whether he goes or not. We go every year, and have never had a problem. If you think the coaster deal is going to present too much of a problem, did you ever consider taking an aunt, older cousin, etc? They would probably be willing to pay their own way and adding a 4th person to a room is usually a pretty good deal. Just a thought. I would go regardless though. It will be fun no matter what! :mickey:

deedeebee
04-20-2010, 11:11 AM
I loved the trip with just two of our kids,(DS and DH went to an Alabama football game!) Most of the time they were on the rides together. It worked out great, we did some things that my DH would frown on, ice cream for dinner:secret: I really loved the time with my girls;) I won't be able to do it again, DH won't miss another trip, he loves WDW too:thumbsup:

jonahbear2006
04-21-2010, 02:52 PM
we have 4 kids and we go, just my husband and I and that leaves the two oldest who were 7 and 8 on september trip and they had to ride together or at some times alone when others didnt want to ride coasters. I think its perfectly fine and safe. We have nametags on their shoes with our phone numbers on them just in case they do happen to get lost in a crowd. It is disney world not a state fair and I think that makes a difference. Just set in place some rules as to what to do when exiting rides.

Humphrey
04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
In most of the rides that are intended to seat two people are roomy enough to squeeze you and two small children. No problem, just let the CM know that's what you intend to do.On some they know that a certain row is wider than the others. Go and enjoy.

btown
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
In Summer of 2008 I took my two sons ages 9 and 7 for the first time as being a single mom. We have been a few times before as a married family so me and the kids were familar w/ the parks. We went for a week. I rode some rides w/ them and some I waited... they were great. I explained if you get lost find somone fast w/ a disney tag. I "lost" both my kids once. One was really right behind me but I contacted an employee right away. Then he was right next to me. The oldest was lost at a water park (our first time at a water park) and he was lost for about 15 mins... He was right behind me at the lockers and then, gone. I was waiting at the lost child are and he was brought to me. He did not go up to an employee right away and was wondering around by himelf looking for me. It really scared him and I don't think that will happen again. Disney employees were great. However at the water park, i rode every ride and did not leave them in the wave pool. Just too big of a place. We are going again this summer and I think we will be just fine. Good luck.

DadTriton
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM
I don't think anyone mentioned this - and I believe it's still true:
In your situation, you can go on a two-person ride with one child leave the other by the entrance and get a "parent swap" pass from the CM and then go immediately in the FP line with the other child.
However, the child would have to be willing to wait by the entrance for your return.

iheartdisney
04-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Thanks for all of your suggestions! If there are any more, please keep them coming!

As for the "parent swap" idea -- does the child wait with a cast member, or all by himself? Then to ride again - do you wait in the full FP line, or get on the next "wave?"

From my limited experience with the water parks, the age of my kids and knowing their water personalities I think I'll wait till they're a little more self sufficient. Too scared to do that park alone!

DadTriton
04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
As for the "parent swap" idea -- does the child wait with a cast member, or all by himself? Then to ride again - do you wait in the full FP line, or get on the next "wave?"

You wait in the FP line. I CM is usually out front in the FP line so the child would wait there.

BoricuaBell
07-19-2010, 10:25 PM
All the suggestions are fantastic, but also trust in yourself. Your children will feel confident if you feel confident. Believe and it will be magical. Sorry if it sounds corny, but it works for me! :blush:

BrerGnat
07-20-2010, 12:34 PM
I would totally go! I take my two boys to Disneyland alone ALL the time (like, every week). DH is deployed military, so I'm a "full time" single mom for the next few months. ;)

My kids are 4 and 6, and we've had no issues with rides. MANY accommodate three, and if not, the boys sit together and I sit behind them.

By the time a kid is 7, he is "technically" old enough (by Disney's rules) to ride "alone". So, you will have no issues if your party has to split up.

As for the waterparks, I'd probably skip them. Find a resort with a small enough pool that your kids can enjoy the slide, but you can also keep an eye on them (WL would be great for this!)

Have a great time!

KAT1811
07-21-2010, 02:23 PM
You'll be fine. 90% of the rides you'll be fine on and the ones that will not allow all of you to ride side-by-side discuss the arrangement before getting in line and see if you can come up with a solution that suits everyone. If not then agree before you leave home that you'll skip the rides you just can't figure out how to ride and make everyone happy.

DH had to fly home early a few trips ago leaving me alone in the World for 2 days, 5 months pregnant with #4, and DD11, DD4, and DD2. We did just fine. I was even blessed with the task of getting us all to the airport and flying home, alone. Double stroller, car seat, diaper bag, lunch for the plane ride from McDonald's, carryons, purse, and big belly!

Go and have a fabulous time!!!!! It'll be a magical trip you'll remember forever! :mickey:

iheartdisney
07-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks to all of you who have posted suggestions and support. I have great news to report....when I originally posted this I thought we wouldn't be able to go until next year. Instead, we're going THIS fall! So my boys will be ages 6 and 7. I know that may not change things too much (except for the fact that we get to go so soon!) but if any of you out there have any more advice, I'm all ears! :mickey:

Thanks!

Minniemouse15
07-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Well when I was a little kid about the same age as your kids, I was with my Parents and 3 brothers, except i didn't like going without my parents so i was small enough to fit between both of my parents. So I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem fitting two kids with you because the seats are pretty big.:mickey: Have a great time!!