PDA

View Full Version : First time on DDP, suggestions for these ADRs

svarhall07
04-19-2010, 11:22 PM
So we decided to give a try to the DDP, mainly from just being hassled at every dining location about are we on it? etc. I'm not sure we'll save money, but I don't think we'll loose money either. In the past, we've usually done a TS breakfast and dinner, and just snacked around for lunch. This time we're changing it up, doing some very late dinners (9pm) to try and fit in CS lunches. We've eaten at most of the locations already, just never on the DDP.

Of what we have, any suggestions of how to stretch the DDP, great things to order, etc.?

Also, I'm sure most dinners we'll spend around $30 on alcoholic drinks (3 adults) plus the tip for the whole meal, can you split checks on the DDP?

We have 5 nights, so 5 TS, 5 CS, and 5 Snacks:

mon - dinner @ 'Ohana's (1 TS)

tues - breakfast @ food court (OOP)
- lunch @ HS counter service (1 CS)
- dinner @ Coral Reef(1 TS)

wed - breakfast @ Kona Cafe (OOP)
- lunch @ EPCOT counter service (1 CS)
- dinner @ Boma (1 TS)

thurs - breakfast @ Donald's Safari (1 TS)
- lunch @ AK counter service (1 CS)
- dinner @ 50s Prime Time Cafe (1 TS)

fri - breakfast @ Grand Floridian Cafe (OOP)
- lunch @ MK counter service (1 CS)
- dinner @ EPCOT counter service (1 CS)

is that too much food? the good thing is we are all athletic 22 year olds, so the calories won't hurt us for one week, and we can usually put down some food, but I don't want to spend ALL the time eating or worrying about eating. Any good tips for DDP veterans?

giraffeisland
04-20-2010, 03:19 AM
If it were me I would take out 50's Primetime due to the fact that the prices are not high.
That means you aren't maximizing the value of the Dining Plan. I would replace it with Le Cellier or one of the other higher end places in the World Showcase to maximize the value.

SBETigg
04-20-2010, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't worry about maximizing use of the credits. The idea of having the dining plan is so that you can pay in advance and relax and enjoy, eat how you want. If you normally do a table service a day, you tend to save, break even, or lose maybe a little money depending on the choices you make. We've always done the math and saved money on the plan, even if we make a few cheaper choices here and there.

But who is hassling you to do the dining plan? CMs ask if you are on the plan when you dine, true enough, but that's hardly a hassle. I hope you aren't feeling beaten into submission over it. Do the dining plan if it works for you, but don't feel obligated. Enjoy your trip!

mickeytravel
04-20-2010, 09:47 AM
We always use the TS for dinner.(most for your DDP)
then we use CS for lunch either in the park or DD..Wolf Gang Puck express has amazing counter service as well as the food court at Coranado Springs. You can get a whole steak lunchoun there. Epcot also has great CS.
That being said we usually use our snack for a light breakfast at our hotel. muffin, toast fruit etc. It really saves us alot of money this way. Early lunches and late dinners

Ms. Mode
04-20-2010, 09:48 AM
We have ALWAYS saved money on the DDP! :thumbsup:

We eat a brunch/lunch type meal for the CS and then have dinner later with the TS. The snack comes in handy for water or whatever prior to dinner. Our last trip I saved the receipts and found that we had saved several 100 dollars. :mickey:

svarhall07
04-21-2010, 01:44 AM
But who is hassling you to do the dining plan? CMs ask if you are on the plan when you dine, true enough, but that's hardly a hassle. I hope you aren't feeling beaten into submission over it. Do the dining plan if it works for you, but don't feel obligated. Enjoy your trip!

I guess "hassling" wasn't the correct word choice. Over the past 3-4 years, all I read is DDP everywhere. I'm always asked when I make my reservation. AND ever time I make an ADR, am greeted by my server at a TS, or walk up to a CS or snack location I am asked "are you on the dinning plan?" I know it is necessary for them to know whether or not i'm on the DP, but it just seems to be everywhere!!! (much like DVC is everywhere). So, we decided to give it a try regardless of whether we saved money or not. We're trying it out to see if it's convenient, enough or too little food, and just to see what all the hype is about.

DisneyPrincess21
04-21-2010, 03:01 AM
I know it is necessary for them to know whether or not i'm on the DP, but it just seems to be everywhere!!! (much like DVC is everywhere).

I guess like the DVC, DDP is WDW 2nd "best kept secret" LOL. :D

HoosierDisneyFan
04-23-2010, 09:56 PM
'Ohana's - We love the place but go hungry. There is a lot of food. Do not fill up on the salad.

Coral Reef - I had gone once and I was not impressed. Felt rushed by the waiter.

50s Prime Time Cafe - A lot of fun!! We have been several times. Great fried chicken. The mistake I make everytime is ordering the milkshare as a drink. I leave too stuffed for comfort.

Going2HeavenRU
04-25-2010, 05:04 PM
We've done the DDP twice now. The first time we did all of our TS as dinners and the second time all but one TS as a lunch. We didn't do it for saving money (we got the DDP free each time). We just like not having to budget for any food while we are in the parks.

There is a LOT of food at the TS resturants. Having our big meal at lunch helped us walk off the heavy food before evening.

I have to admit, I could have gone without the counter service meals and been fine.

thejens
04-26-2010, 12:33 PM
I could never eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at WDW. We have had late breakfasts, snack and dinner or snack, lunch and later dinner, but when we do all three it is too much! I think we save money on the DDP, but we do it more for the convenience also. I am still aggravated that tip is not included. Kind of defeats the purpose for me to have a big bill at the end. We do like the higher end restaurants and more expensive entrees so for us it makes sense. We did the deluxe plan one year and ate at mostly signature dining, but that really was too much food for us!!!