PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Orleans??

PiratesCove
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I've never eaten at Cafe Orleans...who has and did you like it? Is the Monte Cristo Sandwich the same as the one at the Blue Bayou?

Thanks in advance!

Disney4us2
04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I haven't been there since the refurb. I remember it was good. Don't know about the sandwich. I do see a lot of people there. If you go there I would get an ADR. Have a fun trip.

robnadina
04-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Yes... the Monte Cristo is exactly the same as at Bayou. They are still refurbing it a bit. I like this place but DH isnt impressed.

tinkwest
04-20-2010, 11:31 AM
I have been there several times and have been underwhelmed. The outside seating is fun for people watching, but I think the menu still needs some tinkering.

maizey05
04-20-2010, 01:36 PM
We always eat a Cafe Orleans, and one of us usually has the monte cristo. So bad for you, but oh so good! (And anything else we've had there was good too.)

awaggett
04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
We at at Cafe Orleans in early March. The Monte Cristo is the same, and very good! Overall the restaurant was okay--the service was not great (at all), but I think the server was new. Another waiter noticed and started to keep an eye on us! I say it is good, not great.

PiratesCove
07-02-2010, 11:26 AM
DH, DM and I were in SOCAL for 4 days and had ressies at 11:30am at Cafe Orleans for lunch. We usually stick to the Blue Bayou but this time wanted to try something different. We love the Monte Cristo sandwich and it's about $10 cheaper at Cafe Orleans than Blue Bayou. We sat outside under the covered patio which also had large umbrellas, which is nice getting out of the sun! I will say that upon entering the Cafe the hostess was nice and seated us quickly. There were people in the cafe but it didn't look packed at all. I was in hopes this was a good sign, it wasn't. The Hostess checked on us more than the wait person did! It took more than 45 mins to get our food and when we were seated, there were maybe 3 or 4 tables outside occupied. By the time we got our food, almost all of the table outside were filled and many of them had their food. I could not believe it!!! I finally asked a wait person that was at another table if we could get a refill on our drinks and she said yes and promtly brought them to us, I tried to tip her and she didn't want to take it b/c she said our wait person was taking a break and that she would be back. When ever I'm at a restaurant and this has happened the wait person comes to our table and explains this and tells us who our new wait person will be, this DID NOT happen at Cafe Orleans!! We sat there for a very long time wondering what was going on. Not to mention when the food was brought out that both Monte Cristo sandwiches didn't look like they do at the Blue Bayou, they had sat in the deep fryer too long, IMHO. We ate them and all three had stomach aches within a few hours. My DH felt so bad he had to sit down before we could even get him out of the park. Needless to say, we won't be going back to Cafe Orleans. I was so in hopes that it would be a wonderful lunch and great memories for my 77 yr old Mom, Hubby and myself...it wasn't! Just wanted to warn people that might think about going there. Stick to the Blue Bayou for the Monte Cristo and much better service!!

Disney4us2
07-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the review. I haven't been there since they re-opened as a TS and changed their menu. It used to be a buffeteria. I think I will stick with the French Market next door.

mom2morgan
07-02-2010, 12:25 PM
uh oh! I have reservations there in 2 weeks :-) Hopefully your experience wasn't typical, but I'll be sure to report back!

NotaGeek
07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
I have eaten there several times and the service level is really weird -- but they do share a kitchen I believe -- I am sorry you had such a bad experience there. I am shocked that you didn't ask for a manager, there is no way I would have sat there been served bad food and just eaten it and kept quiet. I believe that places like Disney need to hear about their short comings -- otherwise they won't have a point to start improvement.

PiratesCove
07-02-2010, 06:47 PM
I am shocked that you didn't ask for a manager, there is no way I would have sat there been served bad food and just eaten it and kept quiet.

The food didn't taste bad at all, it looked over done. My DH is ever the peace maker and wanted me to calm down and just enjoy the view from our table. It wasn't until I kept thinking about the service and then hours later all three of us getting a stomach ache that I really became upset. I plan on writing a letter/email to Disney...we'll see what type of response I get!!

mom2morgan:

I had read reviews such as mine and I didn't heed the warnings, go at your own risk, more for the terrible service than anything.

BrerGnat
07-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I have to agree about the lackluster service and, IMO, "ordinary" food. I had high hopes for this place too, and I ate there one night solo, and it was just NOT worth the 25 min I had to wait for a table. Food was TOTALLY "off the shelf". Not unique or good, and overpriced too.

When I want Cajun/Creole food, I'll stick to Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, where I've NEVER had a bad meal...

WDWRemaker
07-08-2010, 02:52 AM
That's sure strange, we ate there last August and it seemed great. Quick service and a delicious cheaper Monte Cristo. Hmm... :confused:

dixielandings
07-10-2010, 02:51 PM
FWIW, we've eaten there twice and had really good experiences both times. We love the pomegranate lemonade and parmesan garlic fries. We also went for the less expensive monte cristo and were pleased.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience! I definitely agree that you should let them know about it (diplomatically, of course :thumbsup:) so they can improve on it. BTW - tell your DH I am just like he is but MY DH is ever willing to report underwhelming service, food quality, etc., IF and only if, it's merited. Very often we are rewarded with a nice visit from the manager or even the chef, and usually receive some sort of compensation. Again, my DH is always uber-nice about it and only does such a thing when it's legitimate (i.e. - he doesn't make stuff up just so we can get free dessert :blush:). It's always in the spirit of we-want-to-get-what-we-are-paying-for and hope-you-do-better-next-time.

Disney4us2
08-17-2010, 09:05 PM
While I love most of the dining at Disneyland/DCA/hotels. I didn't care for Cafe Orleans. I had lunch there today with DD. Service was slow, but Josh was very nice. I had a salad of salmon on top of spinach and other greens with carmelized walnuts, grapes and green onion. It was very tasty, but not worth the $15.99. DD had the kids mac n cheese. She liked it but it would take a larger portion to fill her up. (Granted the kids meals are designed for ages 3-9 and she is 10.5) In general the food is ok, service is slow, the chairs are hard...lol, and the prices are high. We tried it, won't return

On to Tomorrowland Terrace (Breakfasts). On two occasions we ate there for a quick breakfast.... big mistake. First time was just after they re-opened. DD had the breakfast burrito (we had them at Village Haus when TT was being refurbed). The TT burito looked good, but DD didn't like the greet tortilla and it was way too spicy for her. I tried it and it was very spicy. I had the kids breakfast plate of scrambled eggs, bacon, fruit and potatoes.... very tasty. An hour later I was is such distress and stomach pain. After a trip to first aid and some anti acids, I felt better.

This past Saturday (8/14), we ate there again. We both had the breakfast plates. DD didn't care for hers (she is not a picky eater either) She ate the fruit, some of the egg and her milk. I ate the rest of her plate and mine. Guess what.... an hour later and I was back at first aid for more anti acids. I must be allergic to some seasoning they use. We will cross TT breakfast off of our list now too.

On the good side... we have never had a bad meal (breakfast/lunch or dinner) at Carnation Cafe. We should have ate there today, Oscar (one of the original chefs) was there and charming as ever. He was greeting everyone on Main Street when the park opened. It is always such a treat to see him. He is living history at Disneyland:mickey:

BrerGnat
08-17-2010, 09:35 PM
I didn't care for Cafe Orleans the one time I ate there either. SLOW service, lukewarm food (I had the french onion soup, and it was barely warm...I returned it...the next one wasn't much hotter). I also had a Chicken Ceasar Salad that was supposed to be "cajun blackened", but it was just plain grilled chicken. It was a major disappointment for the $20 or so I spent on that meal.

And Tomorrowland Terrace...I've NEVER eaten a meal there, in the 9 years since I've been a local/AP holder. That food always looks SO nasty, and it has a bad reputation online for serving the worst food in DL park...

Sorry you had bad experiences. Now you know where NOT to go. ;)

Melanie
08-17-2010, 10:04 PM
Oscar (one of the original chefs) was there and charming as ever. He was greeting everyone on Main Street when the park opened. It is always such a treat to see him. He is living history at Disneyland:mickey:

I had heard he'd retired as chef, but was working just as a greeter. That's awesome!!!

robnadina
08-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Hubby never liked Cafe Orleans for whatever reason, so we dont eat there. We are usually a lets eat at the less crowded place kinda people. :thumbsup:

Disney4us2
08-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the info. Hubby never liked Cafe Orleans for whatever reason, so we dont eat there. We are usually a lets eat at the less crowded place kinda people. :thumbsup:

That is how I am too, and why we are always at Whitewater snacks or Storytellers. There are usually no crowds there and the food is much better. I will stick to what I know:thumbsup: The big plus is getting out of the parks for a relaxing meal.:mickey: