PDA

View Full Version : Bad Travel Karma

SBETigg
04-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Apparently, I have a case of it. Over her school vacation (this week), my daughter planned to go to France for nine days on a school trip. Months of planning! Big excitement! She has dreamed of going to Paris since age three.

While she was there, with my son still away at college, my husband and I planned a six day getaway to WDW, Yacht Club.

First: Had to cancel the Disney trip because my DH has stuff going on at work this week. Sad. But okay, we'll go another time.

Then: We planned a shorter romantic getaway weekend in NYC that combined business with pleasure. (I have a new book out, so I could do booksignings and meet with my agent and then we could just have fun in the city).

Next: Volcano! Iceland's volcano eruption ended daughter's travel plans to Europe on her departure day! Ack! Who knew?! So it turns out that it's a good thing we were not in WDW and were here. We turned around at the train station and picked my daughter up for a family vacation in NYC instead of a romantic trip for us and France for her.

Now: We're home again and my poor daughter is sad, not in France. They had to cancel the whole thing. But if you're in NYC, you might find signed copies of Jane Slayre at Borders or B and N.

So there you have it. If you plan a trip, check with me and make sure I'm not going to the same place that week. I might bring bad luck. ;) Anyone know how to chase away bad travel karma?

RedSoxFan
04-19-2010, 07:04 PM
What a bummer for your daughter. I hope, at least, you all had a great time in NYC. Will her trip to France be re-scheduled?

SBETigg
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
What a bummer for your daughter. I hope, at least, you all had a great time in NYC. Will her trip to France be re-scheduled?

For now, the travel company is issuing refunds. I'm not sure if my husband bought the insurance, as I recommended, so maybe not a full refund. We'll see. But it is possible that they will reschedule for summer. We'll see.

disneynarula
04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Bummer. We are living in Europe for a few years and this is a disaster. Our schools had spring break last week and many of our friends are stranded throughout Europe and can not get home. I am so sorry she missed her trip.

FYI if you can come in the Fall they are having some really good deals.

If you book through the French DLR website the prices are less.

SBETigg
04-24-2010, 03:01 PM
We had so many stranded Europeans with us in New York City. I could only imagine how hard it was to be stuck and not be able to go home. Especially with some of those hotel expenses. It was hard for my daughter to lose her trip, but we kept thinking about how much harder for others in different situations, and being in Europe with that ash.

She is happy now. Her trip is being rescheduled for the end of June, pending permission from the school administration. We'll see. And it actually turned out to be a good thing we were not on our way to WDW when all this happened. So maybe it was actually good travel karma. Everything worked out. Now if I can find a way to reschedule my Disney trip! We're thinking of forgetting the romantic getaway for now and doing another family trip later this summer or next year.