PDA

View Full Version : DUMB Sci-Fi question - movie clips scary?

wdwluv
04-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I had thought the short movies were only cartoons. But I just read there are some clips from old school scary movies. DUH! It's Sci-Fi - of course there would be.

So now I wonder if my 3, 6, or 9 year old would be scared - or maybe not while watching, but maybe bad dreams later?

My 6 & 9 year olds are girls - and can be scared. So rather than deal with that - thus far we've just avoided scary things in the thought that there is plenty of time in their lives to watch those things...so no point in rushing.

NO ONE has mentioned any scared tots - so I assume they are no big deal. But I'm wondering if any of you DID have trouble with the "scary" clips?

LandFan
04-19-2010, 11:55 AM
I kinda doubt it. They are so old looking that they look hokey (almost cartoonish) and funny rather than real. Plus the atmosphere is so relaxed, loud, humorous that it doesn't even occur to most kids to be scared. They usually laugh.

JMHO...

thrillme
04-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Nah...they're really not bad at all and they're mostly in black and white.

As many times as I've been there I've never seen a screaming toddler.

KylesMom
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Never had a problem & we've been taking DS there since he was a toddler. Most are actually funny in their own way - it's tough to be scared of the effects from 50s "B" movies! :mickey: I'm sure your 6/9 year olds would laugh - not cry . . .

DisneyPrincess21
04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I have never once heard a child cry about anything on the movie clips.

Unless your children are scarred of bad acting, you should be fine :D :thumbsup:

luvdiznee
04-19-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't believe any question is "dumb". But agree with prior posts that you kiddies should be ok.

Unless your children are scarred of bad acting, you should be fine :D :thumbsup:

LOL!

Strmchsr
04-19-2010, 01:17 PM

Exactly my thoughts, but my kids have been raised watching old Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes with me so they're used to it. :D

MOJoe
04-19-2010, 01:53 PM
There are plenty of monsters shown on these clips, but they are just that - movie clips. There isn't enough time to create drama and fear, so unless you are frightened by images of cheesy aliens, like those on Power Rangers, you won't have any problem with Sci-Fi.

Many of the clips are cartoons, too. Those are pretty funny, but none of the clips are really scary. There are lots of guys shooting guns at Zombies that won't die, and i think the 50 ft tall man kills someone with a spear, but that's about it. If you have any concerns, i suggest sitting toward the back of the "theater". That way the screen isn't right in your face, and you have a better view of the restaurant itself, which is pretty cool. If your children have never seen anything that could be considered creepy or violent, (which would be hard to believe) then maybe this isn't the place to start. Because 50 years ago these things were considered frightening. But today, no way. Sci-Fi isn't full of the things that nightmares are made of these days.

DisneyPrincess21
04-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Exactly my thoughts, but my kids have been raised watching old Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes with me so they're used to it. :D

I love Mystery Science Theater 3000! Very funny stuff. Me and my Dad kinda talk to the screen while we are at Sci-Fi, so it's very much like Mystery Science Theater, (if you sit behind us!) HAHA. :D

Wrigley
04-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Sci-Fi is one of our favorite places to dine! We took our 3 yo in November, and she gets scared very easily, but she never got scared or had bad dreams from the clips. You should be just fine!:mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-19-2010, 02:13 PM
First they have to get over the black and white. I mean really... has any toddler you know watched black and white tv? I'm sure that is like looking at hieroglyphics for them.

honestly, they will be so distracted by all the "color" eye-candy (cars, lights, car hops, etc) that they'll probably tune out the "boring" black and white pictures. You could always get them a drink with the glowing ice cube to occupy them.

DisneyPrincess21
04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
I mean really... has any toddler you know watched black and white tv? I'm sure that is like looking at hieroglyphics for them.

:laughing:

wdwluv
04-19-2010, 05:07 PM
LOL!!!

sounds like I should have no worries! :mickey:

wdwluv
04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
MOJoe - your post made me think of Monster's Inc. commercial and the kid falling asleep in his cereal bowl watching the scary TV show! LOL

mouseketeer mom
04-19-2010, 06:14 PM
The first time I took my kids there they were 10, 8 and 5. Yep. All three were scared. All three wouldn't eat, and we didn't go back for 6 years! Now they love it. They were scared of the clips where an alien or monster were attacking or getting ready to stab someone. As grown ups, the clips looked ridiculous, but they were absolutely scared.

disneydad153
04-19-2010, 07:05 PM
We have eaten there the last three years with our DD's now 8 &4. They never had a problem with the clips. They actually enjoy sitting in the "car" by themselves eating while sit behind them. Its a good time but of course not every kid reacts the same. You will have to see for yourself I guess.:mickey:

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm sure somewhere on youtube there are videos of Sci-Fi. You can view them first and then prep your kids by letting them watch some of the videos so that they know what to expect.

We did this with our 5 and 2 year old for our last trip and it worked like a champ for EVERY attraction we did this... HM, PotC, meeting the characters, etc.

Joannelet
04-20-2010, 05:37 PM
It does depend on the child. However, when a clip comes on that you think may be frightening to your child either distract them by talking or saying how silly that is.....
They will also feed off your reaction...so if you get the feeling that they may be getting "ideas" in their heads...then distract them.
It always helps. Make light of the situation...and they will too.
You can do this with anything in life.....

iheartdisney
04-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Maybe I have a highly sensitive child but when I took the boys when they were 2 and 3, my three year old had a meltdown as soon as he looked at the screen. We happened to walk in at a time when a monster was on and a woman (in the movie) screamed. As soon as she screamed, my son screamed and the rest was history. I was never able to sit down and eat and I had to high-tail it out of there so that the rest of our party and the other diners could eat in peace. I'd say, it all depends on the kid and what is on when you first walk in.

wdwluv
04-20-2010, 08:38 PM
So sounds like reviews are mixed...so maybe I will try out the youtube videos!!

Thanks so much everyone!

MOJoe
04-21-2010, 12:29 PM
MOJoe - your post made me think of Monster's Inc. commercial and the kid falling asleep in his cereal bowl watching the scary TV show! LOL

Glad to help. :alien:

Looks like you have figured out that, while it's unlikely for kids to be scared here, it's not impossible. If you can focus you children's attention to the other wonderful elements of this place, like the starry sky, the cars, and of course the milkshakes :blush:, then you should be fine. Good luck, and thanks for the compliment. That's compliment, with one i. :mike:

DadTriton
04-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Never saw a child scared here. Really kitschy old B movie clips. My youngest son only complained that they kept showing the same ones over and over! (you see them all 3 or more times in a meal) The kids loved eating in the car under the stars - they still talk about this restaurant years later.

queenmom9497
04-24-2010, 09:57 AM
We have only been there once. DH wants to go back, but he is the only one.

The reference to MST3K is a good one. That is exactly what it reminds me of.

Did not see any child scared at our experience at Sci-Fi ... go for it ...

I believe you can probably sit in one of the cars that sits you face to face and the children cannot see the screen.

ElenitaB
04-24-2010, 08:43 PM
My DS was five or six the first time we went to Sci-Fi and he was creeped out by the experience. I'm not sure if it was the dark atmosphere or the cheesy movies (which I found hysterical as I also am a fan of Mystery Science Theatre). Of course, this is the same kid who from his first trip at five would ride any roller coaster at WDW but for years wouldn't go back to the Muppets or Haunted Mansion. So my answer is "yes, there are kids who get scared." The suggestion of the light-up ice cubes might prove to be very helpful.

Seasonscraps
04-26-2010, 01:44 PM
If you ever saw the movie Grease...the drive in movie scene shows quite a few of the movie clips shown at the Sci-Fi Diner. Maybe check that out & see what you think. FYI - part of that scene is not appropriate for younger kids (risque) but it may help you determine if your kids can handle the movie clips.